What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Krista4's Beatles 1-25 List Thread! Count down will start Mon Feb 14 noon ET. Will take new lists til then... (1 Viewer)

krista4 said:
So, I dumped 53 songs in here that I thought of as potential contenders for my top 25 (including all of them on the list I already sent).  It took 150+ compares to generate the rankings.  The results:

• Interestingly, there were 5 in my prior list that I didn't even put into the ranking engine.  I had them all between 19 and 25 and they were mostly ballads that I opted not to select for this exercise.
  • There were 5 more in my prior list that fell out of the top 25 from the ranking engine, including one from the top 10!
  • 6 songs stayed within +/- 1 spot; 3 more were within +/- 4
@Getzlaf15- OK if I replace my prior rankings?

Now that I submitted my list I went back and reviewed the composite list from last time.  It’s hard to draw too many conclusions until you get around 50-60 where there’s enough folks ranking the songs but I was blown away that From Me To You ranked 122.  I can see it though - if you aren’t a huge fan of early Beatles it’s easy for it to get lost in the shuffle and be down the list of those early songs.  We really need everybody to rank their top 100.   :whistle:

Now that I submitted my list I went back and reviewed the composite list from last time.  It’s hard to draw too many conclusions until you get around 50-60 where there’s enough folks ranking the songs but I was blown away that From Me To You ranked 122.  I can see it though - if you aren’t a huge fan of early Beatles it’s easy for it to get lost in the shuffle and be down the list of those early songs.  We really need everybody to rank their top 100.   :whistle:
Docked for excessive harmonica.

Which could be the name of a Blues Traveler tribute band.

I just listened to it. Great song, but I think that it's no "Hold Me Tight" if that's the kind of bouncy, peppy upbeat love song you're looking for. It certainly doesn't place over "I Want To Hold Your Hand" or "There's A Place" for me. 

How do you get to the ranker link? I've been reading the past few pages that people are talking about it, but I can't find it. 

I just listened to it. Great song, but I think that it's no "Hold Me Tight" if that's the kind of bouncy, peppy upbeat love song you're looking for. It certainly doesn't place over "I Want To Hold Your Hand" or "There's A Place" for me. 

How do you get to the ranker link? I've been reading the past few pages that people are talking about it, but I can't find it. 
https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/773768-in-this-thread-i-rank-my-favorite-beatles-songs-204-1/page/112/#comment-21763010

And I agree that it’s not to the level of I Want to Hold Your Hand.

And since Rock brought it up.  The bouncy, peppy upbeat love songs, as he puts it, are what I think of when I think of the Beatles.  I have a good number of these in my list.  But I also recognize superior songs - so while the bouncy, peppy upbeat love songs are the ones that make me smile and want to dance, there aren’t many in my top 10.

So, I dumped 53 songs in here that I thought of as potential contenders for my top 25 (including all of them on the list I already sent).  It took 150+ compares to generate the rankings.  The results:

• Interestingly, there were 5 in my prior list that I didn't even put into the ranking engine.  I had them all between 19 and 25 and they were mostly ballads that I opted not to select for this exercise.
  • There were 5 more in my prior list that fell out of the top 25 from the ranking engine, including one from the top 10!
  • 6 songs stayed within +/- 1 spot; 3 more were within +/- 4
@Getzlaf15- OK if I replace my prior rankings?

Getz is happily accepting mulligans on rankings.  I've submitted a couple myself.  ;)  

We really need everybody to rank their top 100.   :whistle:

Well duh.

Which could be the name of a Blues Traveler tribute band.

:lmao:  

I so love the harmonies on "There's a Place" and the off-kilter feel of "Hold Me Tight."  Wherever they were in 2019, they'd be higher for me this year.

Today is Ringo day!*

On this date in 1963, after their shows on the Helen Shapiro tour at the ABC Cinema in Carlisle, the Beatles (along with Shapiro and Kenny Lynch) were forbidden entrance to the Carlisle Golf Club dance because Ringo was wearing a leather jacket.

On this date in 2010, Ringo's star was unveiled on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the first star to be unveiled in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the walk.  No leather jacket today!

*Every day is Ringo day!

I so love the harmonies on "There's a Place" and the off-kilter feel of "Hold Me Tight."  Wherever they were in 2019, they'd be higher for me this year.
They were three and sixteen, respectively, for me last time. This time they didn't even make the list, and I still think they're excellent pop/rock n' roll songs. My number one or maybe two (I forget), which was an early lament ("Misery") didn't make it either. I went more experimental this time, as I've noted before. It wasn't thoughtlessness, it was just a different thought approach, I guess. Or I was in a different mood now than three years ago.

I know we coo on The Beatles in here, so I don't want to overdo it, but it's interesting that there are phases of the band that are good enough to be another band's entire catalog. Like, "Oh we dashed an album or two off like that in 1965." It sort of cracks me up. 

There are a few songs from last time that were in the 100s and a few not even listed last time that are not doing bad at all.

Everyone gets one mulligan on their list and I used Binkys.  

Aloha from Hana. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone gets one mulligan on their list and I used Binkys.  
I don't want to add a song, but I wouldn't mind my 12-16 ranking shuffled a bit. Same songs in that section, but different order. Is that doable, and if so, do I send you a whole new 1-25 or a new 12-16? I basically would like #16 to be #12, #12 to be #13, #13 to be #14, #14 to be #16, and #15 stays the same. So what do you think?  :lol:

The road to Hana is an experience!

I don't want to add a song, but I wouldn't mind my 12-16 ranking shuffled a bit. Same songs in that section, but different order. Is that doable, and if so, do I send you a whole new 1-25 or a new 12-16? I basically would like #16 to be #12, #12 to be #13, #13 to be #14, #14 to be #16, and #15 stays the same. So what do you think?  :lol:

I think it will be easier for Getz if you send him a full new list.

You still have to have a #9 no matter what, though.

I can fix it off this post no problem 

Wife made it back from Hana on that road in 47 minutes.  I only hurled three times.  #winning. 

This has been processed.  :D

Mulligan list sent.  New album breakdown:

Let it Be - 4
Revolver - 4
Singles - 3
White Album - 3
Abbey Road - 2
Help! - 2
Rubber Soul - 2
Sgt Pepper - 2
A Hard Day's Night - 1
Magical Mystery Tour - 1
Yellow Submarine - 1

(There may be a bit of "Get Back" recency bias at work, but there are some GREAT ####### songs that I got reminded of watching it.)

Am I the only one who is not going to re-do my list that I already submitted because, duh, of course it would be different this week from last?  That's what happens when a band has 235, 623 great songs.  I did what I did and that's that.  

But I will admit, I have "A Taste of Honey" in my head randomly right now, and that's a solid jam, despite the honey haters in this group.  

I'm doing an activity with my 8th grade U.S. history classes today about the biggest news stories of the 20th century.  We are using a list compiled from experts through The Newseum around 2000.  So, we're talking about various events on the list, many of which we've already learned about this year.  And then I get to #58 on the list.  

"British rock group The Beatles takes the United States by storm after debut on the Ed Sullivan show."  

I spent 10-15 minutes making sure they knew all the ins and outs, complete with video, of this important event.  How could I not, since it's February 9th today? 

(And before you bemoan my teaching and not focusing on the important stuff, we just spent  6 weeks on the WWII and the Holocaust, so it's time to move on to happier stuff.)  

Am I the only one who is not going to re-do my list that I already submitted because, duh, of course it would be different this week from last? 
I had a block of songs reshuffled, because I instantly had rankers remorse with one particular song when I originally submitted it. I wasn't going to do anything about it, but since Getz mentioned a mulligan, I figured I could right that wrong. I had it at #16, but I love to sing and bop to it, and it makes me happy, even though its subject matter isn't positive or lovey dovey. I felt like I sold it short, so Getz moved it to 12, and the others just moved down 1 except #14 went to number 16, because I didn't want #15 to move down one, because it could easily be in my Top 10 (I know  :crazy: ). 

Am I the only one who is not going to re-do my list that I already submitted because, duh, of course it would be different this week from last?  That's what happens when a band has 235, 623 great songs.  I did what I did and that's that.  

But I will admit, I have "A Taste of Honey" in my head randomly right now, and that's a solid jam, despite the honey haters in this group.  

Yeah, I said I was going to tweak mine but not sure now I will.  This has the same feeling I used to have back in school - taking a term paper I'm happy with and claiming I will reread it and improve on it.  Granted, this exercise is more fun but ultimately I'm not sure reworking it will make it "better" and will just cause me more work.  Instead, I'll just listen to more music.

I have a feeling some of you would prefer my 26-50 list over my 1-25.  I have some heavy hitters in my cut list. 

I think a lot of people in this thread are huge Beatles aficionados who might also not go with the heavy hitters so much.  Overall, the rankings will probably smooth such that the big ones will do well, but I expect some quirky lists.  I have a couple IRL friends who submitted lists that are generously considered quirky.

I think a lot of people in this thread are huge Beatles aficionados who might also not go with the heavy hitters so much.  Overall, the rankings will probably smooth such that the big ones will do well, but I expect some quirky lists.  I have a couple IRL friends who submitted lists that are generously considered quirky.

Yeah, point well taken - and I probably shouldn't imply my list is too quirky because it's not.  I think it would have been better to say that there's a handful of pretty popular songs that I left off (as I'm sure others did).  As an example - I only have 50% of the Sirius Beatles Top 100.

I don't think you can get quirky with this catalog, unless you're running shtick. There are a handful Beatles records that are pretty bad, and I think most of us could agree on what most of those are.

The other 195 or so, though? It all comes down to personal taste & preference. Because I think maybe 150 of them are stone classics.

I saw a million post in the Zep thread and quite a few here that went something like "I know most of my picks are outside of the mainstream....." No, they are not. Not any more outside the mainstream (whatever that is) than anyone else's.

There may well be songs that get only one vote, but that song may also have been #26 or #27 on a dozen rankings.

Anyway, Happy Ed Sullivan Day y'all!

As an example - I only have 50% of the Sirius Beatles Top 100.

Well, this is probably quirky.  Also I didn't know there was such a thing.  :popcorn:  for your list.

By the way, and this has nothing to do with these posts, but Getz and I have discussed, and this will be a spoiler-free zone.  People can feel free to post whatever they want about their own lists, but we won't be saying stuff like "you have xx of the top 25" or giving away anything about the relative ranking of songs before posting them, etc. as in the LZ thread.  Just our personal preference to do this one differently.

58 lists have been processed

1 might be considered chalk.

57 of them are quirky.

We have a song at #61 right now that's been listed 11 times.

That makes sense to me, though, Getz. It would be different if the catalog's quality wasn't so vast.
Yep, every list that comes in...... I'm like, "WTF, how can this song be so low in the rankings? It's a great song."

I also find many of the songs NOT listed last time to be WTF also and way better than many that were listed.

Yep, every list that comes in...... I'm like, "WTF, how can this song be so low in the rankings? It's a great song."

I also find many of the songs NOT listed last time to be WTF also and way better than many that were listed.
:lmao: I felt the same way, just looking at my own list. I can only imagine looking at other people's.

I was talking with my mom about "I Feel Fine" and looked it up to see where it had been last time.  #50!  :shock:   I mean, I wasn't much better as I had it at #46.  But that is a monster, groundbreaking song with the feedback and that riff.  
The low ranking wasn't because of me. I had it Top 5.

I'm sorry, but with the deadline so close, I'm not taking any more changed lists.

It just took me 20 minutes to do a change of a list and I don't like you guys that much.  :lmao:

I do owe Wikkid a change if he wants one.

I'm sorry, but with the deadline so close, I'm not taking any more changed lists.

It just took me 20 minutes to do a change of a list and I don't like you guys that much.  :lmao:

I do owe Wikkid a change if he wants one.

Send the spreadsheet to me if you want.  I don't mind making the changes.

Users who are viewing this thread