What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Knox or Bennett (1 Viewer)

gpthatsme

Footballguy
Good article about Johnny Knox...

When opportunity Knox, here's Johnny

September 22, 2009

BY BRAD BIGGS

It was the suggestion of just about everyone not at Halas Hall that the Bears add a veteran wide receiver or two entering the season.

But general manager Jerry Angelo has maintained that signing a player with experience often stunts the growth of younger players. He cites the emergence of Marty Booker, who had a club-record 100 receptions in 2001, an opportunity that came after Bobby Engram was let go. Angelo admits it didn't work that way with Mark Bradley, a second-round draft pick in 2005.

But not even Angelo can claim he envisioned Abilene Christian product Johnny Knox emerging as a dependable and explosive target for quarterback Jay Cutler after two weeks. The Bears knew they needed an upgrade at receiver, and had they not traded for Cutler, Angelo admitted he was going to draft a wideout in the first round.

When the Cutler trade took them out of the running for a top prospect, the Bears went with quantity, choosing Juaquin Iglesias in the third round, Knox in the fifth and Derek Kinder in the seventh. Knox might have been the least likely to contribute immediately by virtue of his background at the Division II school where he played for two years after spending two seasons at Tyler (Texas) Junior College.

With Kinder cut and Iglesias destined to be inactive on game days for the foreseeable future, Knox has come on as fast for the Bears as he ran the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine (less than 4.3 seconds). Knox caught a seven-yard touchdown pass in the Bears' 17-14 victory Sunday over the Pittsburgh Steelers and led the team with six receptions for 70 yards.

His emergence hasn't been by design. Knox was forced into action the previous week because a quad strain sidelined Devin Aromashodu.

''I had my ups and downs throughout training camp and preseason,'' said Knox, who rarely worked with the first team during the summer. ''I just try to build off that and make plays when I can. They've just told me to keep doing what I am doing.''

The surest sign that he is fitting in is that Cutler is looking for him. Remember, Cutler wasn't subtle in training camp about his desire to have a say in personnel matters.

''You never know how guys are going to react out there once the lights turn on,'' Cutler said. ''You don't know if guys are still going to be able to play as fast as they are, and he's one of those guys, if not faster. He's out there buzzing around making some big catches with people on him.

''[He's] in the right spots, making some adjustments on the move. I hit him over the middle [on the touchdown], he was kind of standing out. Just him out there using his ability, and I told him, 'Congratulations, you're no longer a rookie. You're out there playing with the rest of us.'''

The Bears guarded against overwhelming Knox with too much responsibility. Earl Bennett, a third-round pick in 2008, never contributed as a rookie because he was asked to learn three receiver positions at once and struggled. Knox has been left in one spot. It won't be surprising if Knox pushes for Bennett's split-end job in the coming weeks after seeing action in two-receiver sets against the Steelers.

''If you would talk to him, he probably saw it playing out this way,'' coach Lovie Smith said. ''He doesn't realize that he's from Abilene Christian and he's in the big city and supposed to be in awe with everything that's going on. Just making play after play.''

The Bears had a good feel for Knox from the start. Southwest regional scout Chris Ballard previously coached against Abilene Christian at Texas & AM-Kingsville. But when Knox's pro day came in March and about half the league showed up, Ballard wasn't there.

''[ballard] told me the day they drafted Johnny that, 'I knew I loved him,''' agent Marc Lillibridge said. ''[ballard] said, 'I gave him a good grade. I didn't show because I didn't want anyone to know we liked him.' It's all smoke and mirrors.''

Knox played in the Texas vs. The Nation All-Star Game, then raised his profile when he ran the 40 at the combine. Now he leads the Bears with 152 receiving yards. To put that in perspective, the starting receivers last season, Devin Hester and Rashied Davis, both needed five games to amass more yardage.

''I guess it's all about getting your opportunity,'' Abilene Christian coach Chris Thomsen said. ''Maybe it surprised me his opportunity has come this early. It doesn't surprise me he is doing well. He is a tremendous worker. He has a tremendously positive attitude. That allows him to be successful in a very high-pressure environment. Football is such a game of ups and downs, and he doesn't flow with that. He's just steady.''

If you still haven't seen this, watch Mr Knox BUST IT.....

2009 NFL Combine 40 Speeds

Moving forward, which would you rather have? Knox or Bennett?

Knox & Bennett to Rotate; Bears to Play the Hot Hand

Mon Sep 21, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

The Chicago Sun-Times reports it's no surprise Bears HC Lovie Smith spoke highly of rookie WR Johnny Knox, who caught a team-high six passes for 70 yards and a touchdown. Smith also said there was no reason to read into Knox getting time in two-receiver sets ahead of WR Earl Bennett. ''I wouldn't say over Earl,'' Smith said. ''Johnny's one of the guys in the rotation. We play a lot of guys at that position. No more than that. ''[We're] pleased with what Earl has done, too. Some games, you get into the game and a guy gets hot. And you play him a little bit more and you go to him a little bit more. ... Johnny just brings a lot to the table with that speed. He doesn't realize that he's from Abilene Christian, he's in the big city and supposed to be in awe with everything that's going on.''

Knox & Bennett to Rotate; Bears to Play the Hot Hand

Mon Sep 21, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

The Chicago Sun-Times reports it's no surprise Bears HC Lovie Smith spoke highly of rookie WR Johnny Knox, who caught a team-high six passes for 70 yards and a touchdown. Smith also said there was no reason to read into Knox getting time in two-receiver sets ahead of WR Earl Bennett. ''I wouldn't say over Earl,'' Smith said. ''Johnny's one of the guys in the rotation. We play a lot of guys at that position. No more than that. ''[We're] pleased with what Earl has done, too. Some games, you get into the game and a guy gets hot. And you play him a little bit more and you go to him a little bit more. ... Johnny just brings a lot to the table with that speed. He doesn't realize that he's from Abilene Christian, he's in the big city and supposed to be in awe with everything that's going on.''
In game 1 he had the biggest play of the game and in game 2 and in the 4th qtr with the game on the line the rookie is in there and makes the big play. He can be as PC and respectable to Bennett as he wants but the writing is in bold capital print how this story will end.

Knox looked really, really fast the other day. I think he could run away with this thing very soon.

first time i had watched the bears play this season and i couldn't get over this guy. just really stood out, making plays all over the field. trying to find room for him as we speak.

Lash said:
this could be "Hester or Bennett" thread in 2010
:mellow: I need to see more of Knox and Bennett, but I think both have a realistic shot at being solid pros. I actually think these two might be best suited as CHI’s starting WRs (if not now, then very soon), with Hester playing the slot and doing full-time return duty again.

I like him in dynasty leagues more than redraft leagues. He's still a rookie receiver on what should be a 50-50 run-pass team. His year end ceiling is probably low: 700 yards and 5 TDs would be a big, big year for him.

Re: Knox.... I still remember his sloppy route running in the previous game vs the Packers. But I like the number of targets he got in week #2. He is probably a flash in the pan, flavor o week...but nevertheless, I think it's warranted to spend a good chunk of WW cash on him. WW pickups diminish in value as the season goes on. I don't see any value in hoarding the cash early. Usually if there is a "breakout" player to found, its in week #1 or #2.

I got really lucky guessing the flavor of the week last week for picking up Manningham for FREE on the WW. I also picked up Mike Bell for free, before the hubbub about him. Just a hunch.

I got the same hunch on Knox, and going for him in an $$ way. But lightning can't strike thrice, can it?

IMHO, Bennet is still going to start and Cutler really likes him. If you can buy Cutler putting up "Manning-like-light" stats, I'd buy Knox as Stokely-light, when he was 3rd WR on the Colts. Honestly, with Olsen, Hester, Bennet and Forte - there's a lot to choose from. Knox had one great game - don't get me wrong. But he's not going to take teams by suprise anymore, and there are just alot of options in that offense (I can't believe I just said that either). Aromashodu is also going to be in the mix as well. As I said, I like him - but the Eddie Royal comparison may be a bit high - it was one game.

IMHO, Bennet is still going to start and Cutler really likes him. If you can buy Cutler putting up "Manning-like-light" stats, I'd buy Knox as Stokely-light, when he was 3rd WR on the Colts. Honestly, with Olsen, Hester, Bennet and Forte - there's a lot to choose from. Knox had one great game - don't get me wrong. But he's not going to take teams by suprise anymore, and there are just alot of options in that offense (I can't believe I just said that either). Aromashodu is also going to be in the mix as well. As I said, I like him - but the Eddie Royal comparison may be a bit high - it was one game.
but he's got off the chart speed, and tremendous hands. He had the biggest play in game 1 and game 2. He replaced the starter in the 4th quarter in his 2nd game with the game on the line. Take a look at this clip..Knox-Draftguys

but he's got off the chart speed, and tremendous hands. He had the biggest play in game 1 and game 2. He replaced the starter in the 4th quarter in his 2nd game with the game on the line. Take a look at this clip..Knox-Draftguys
That clip locked my into this guy right away. He looked like a pro WR - like he just knew what to do. I figured it wouldn't take too much coaching to get this guy up to speed.I was so locked into this guy I couldn't wait for NFL Draft Day to come to see where he would go.

I got him in one dynasty league and things did not fall right in the other.

The way things are playing out right now, I wish I got him in both, but glad I got him in at least 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
That clip has me sold on this guy. Blazing speed, and way way above average hands. Not sure if it will be this year but he's a star.

Could even be great value this year, too, if give the chance. I would think what could hold him back is the mental part of the game, but I don't enough either way to make that call.

Knox is a playmaker and something the Bears don't have at WR other than Hester and he isn't a natural at it.

If Knox is legit it could allow the Bears to have Hester focus more on returns rather than recieving making Hester the #3 and Having Knox / Bennett start. Hester is much more a value as a return man when thats all he does he is the best there is at returns

I'm not sure it's so much an either or on the snaps, although targets might be a different story.

I'd like to see week 2 snap counts, but week 1 basically broke down to around 20 snaps throwing to 3 wr, where both of these guys might be on the field, and about another 20 'disputed' snaps, where one or the other gets on the field for a passing play.

week one was dominated by bennett in this latter category, but even if knox eats up half of these, you've still got a pretty even split between the two guys on snaps, w/each maybe getting in on close to 30 passing plays.

Wow. Great clip.

What I saw in that game was the Bears needing plays from the wideouts, and trusting Knox to come through.

Code:
4	11:36	7 - 14	1st-and-10	own 28	caught pass for 7 yards4	6:24	7 - 14	3rd-and-7	opp 7	caught pass for 7 yards TOUCHDOWN4	2:31	14 - 14	1st-and-10	opp 45	caught pass for 5 yards
Now I am not sure which play it was, but one of these was a screen, down 7, against the defending world champs, in the rain. No reads or anything, just snap and dart to Knox. It just spoke volumes to me about what the Bears think of this kid.

I can't speak to the other plays, but on the TD the Bears may have been looking to work against the weakest coverage at least as much as looking for Knox. Tyrone Carter is average at best in coverage -- he's a backup strong safety for a reason. He also was injured from an earlier collision with Greg Olsen.

In general, the Steelers put their #1 cover corner (Ike Taylor) on Hester virtually every snap, and Cutler was smart enough to look elsewhere on the majority of throws.

I'm very interested in Knox and not wanting to damper enthusiasm for him, but I also think all information should be considered before deciding to go after him.

I can't speak to the other plays, but on the TD the Bears may have been looking to work against the weakest coverage at least as much as looking for Knox. Tyrone Carter is average at best in coverage -- he's a backup strong safety for a reason. He also was injured from an earlier collision with Greg Olsen.In general, the Steelers put their #1 cover corner (Ike Taylor) on Hester virtually every snap, and Cutler was smart enough to look elsewhere on the majority of throwI'm very interested in Knox and not wanting to damper enthusiasm for him, but I also think all information should be considered before deciding to go after him.
Agreed, but you can also say the Knox will not face top corners all the time and with a QB of Cutler's quality, there is enough balls to make a couple of guys fantasy worthy in that passing game.

That clip has me sold on this guy. Blazing speed, and way way above average hands. Not sure if it will be this year but he's a star.Could even be great value this year, too, if give the chance. I would think what could hold him back is the mental part of the game, but I don't enough either way to make that call.
In week 1 he had a real nice play where he absolutely blew away the defense and a long bomb and just got pushed out at the 7. That kind of opened my eyes, especially how he caught it so effortlessly on the run. Then during the game they talked about him and how much they love this kid. So I put that in the back of my head. Then fast forward to this week and he gets 9 targets and catches. Two of the catches are exactly what they highlight in that draftguys video where he goes up on a difficutly throw ball makes an adjustment and comes down with it. One they replayed on the broadcast to show how nice the catch was. I'll post the links when I get into work. He may not work out as well as I hope but one thing I know is that Cutler can make wrs great. What did everyone say about going to the Bears...he has no wr's...well who made the two biggest plays in each of the 1st two games? He not only has tremendous hands, he's very athletic, has absolute blazing speed, and apparently is very confident and taking his ascension from a 5th round pick from a Div 2 school to nearly the starting lineup in stride.

I still think Aromashodu is in the mix as well.

Cutler seemed to have a good rapport with him during preseason.

I like Knox but think there's still a lot to be determined yet.

As a Cutler owner I'm happy that he has multiple targets to throw to!

That clip has me sold on this guy. Blazing speed, and way way above average hands. Not sure if it will be this year but he's a star.

Could even be great value this year, too, if give the chance. I would think what could hold him back is the mental part of the game, but I don't enough either way to make that call.
In week 1 he had a real nice play where he absolutely blew away the defense and a long bomb and just got pushed out at the 7. That kind of opened my eyes, especially how he caught it so effortlessly on the run. Then during the game they talked about him and how much they love this kid. So I put that in the back of my head. Then fast forward to this week and he gets 9 targets and catches. Two of the catches are exactly what they highlight in that draftguys video where he goes up on a difficutly throw ball makes an adjustment and comes down with it. One they replayed on the broadcast to show how nice the catch was. I'll post the links when I get into work.

He may not work out as well as I hope but one thing I know is that Cutler can make wrs great. What did everyone say about going to the Bears...he has no wr's...well who made the two biggest plays in each of the 1st two games? He not only has tremendous hands, he's very athletic, has absolute blazing speed, and apparently is very confident and taking his ascension from a 5th round pick from a Div 2 school to nearly the starting lineup in stride.
Yeah and it was Charles Woodson no less. Not the slower Al Harris.

whats the consensus here? give it another week before any conclusions?
I don't know that you can have a consensus yet. He's not the starter yet but has tremendous looking raw tools and has looked very good in a couple games so he looks to have the talent but the opportunity isn't there yet but if the 2nd half of game 2 were an indication it may be coming. This is a part of the game where you need to take a little risk, take a gamble for a potentially big payoff. I did it week 3 in Marshall breakout year and I made the move for Knox this year. Not that they are similar players and it happens that Cutler is the QB to both (who I love) but sometimes you just see something in a player and situation that makes you pay attention. So they have a very good QB (IMO) that is going to throw the ball, he tends to lock into his favorite wr's and it's not like Knox is sitting behind Fitz/Boldin or Housh/Johnson, it's Hester and Earl Bennett who are probably in the bottom 5 as a WR tandem. He's got the absolute perfect skillset to work with Cutler....crazy deep speed to match Cutler's arm and tremendous hands for the in tight passes he fed Marshall/Royal with.

here are clips from the 1st 2 games...

fast forward to the 0:24 second mark week 1

Week 2 look at the grab at the 0:29 second mark...

Knox sppeds into spotlight

Chicago Bears rookie Johnny Knox speeds into spotlight

Johnny Knox celebrates his first NFL touchdown catch. (Jonathan Daniel, Getty Images / September 20, 2009)

Tribune reporter

September 22, 2009

E-mail Print Share Text Size

The names ahead of him include Randy Moss, Santonio Holmes and Chad Ochocinco, but for Johnny Knox, there is no shame in being ranked 15th among NFL receiving leaders after two games.

In most people's eyes, Knox has no business on that list, period.

Not a rookie. Not a fifth-round pick. Not a player from a Division II school.

Based on the reaction in Chicago after Knox's six-catch, 70-yard, one-touchdown performance Sunday in a 17-14 upset of the Steelers, the kid from tiny Abilene Christian is larger than life, at least for this week.

"Johnny brings a lot to the table with that speed," coach Lovie Smith said Monday. "He doesn't realize that he's from Abilene Christian, he's in the big city and supposed to be in awe with everything that's going on."

No, he is "Johnny Cool," in a place where receivers have taken a lot of heat lately. Not even Knox got a rookie pass after the season-opening loss in Green Bay.

Fans wondered why he stopped his route, why he allowed Packers cornerback Al Harris to step in front of him for the game-clinching interception. Knox simply pointed at himself for not becoming a defensive back in that situation and vowed to learn from his mistake.

Obviously, he's a quick study.

Knox is one of the handful of players making an impact at a position where rookies have no business doing so. Titans first-round pick Kenny Britt from Rutgers has six catches for 107 yards, a 17.8-yard average. Raiders fourth-round pick Louis Murphy from Florida has six catches for 113 yards and one touchdown.

Knox -- not Devin Hester or Greg Olsen -- is the Bears' leading receiver with eight catches for 152 yards. And this comes one year after Earl Bennett, a third-round pick from Vanderbilt, couldn't get on the field as a rookie.

"I don't know exactly the reason," Smith said when asked why Knox has been able to adjust so quickly. "If you would talk to him, he probably saw it playing out this way. I just know the guy has made progress seems like every time we've put him in position to."

Smith said there was no reason to read into Knox getting snaps over Bennett when the Bears went to two-receiver sets.

"I wouldn't say over Earl," Smith said. "Johnny's one of the guys in the rotation. We play a lot of guys at that position. No more than that.

"[We're] pleased with what Earl has done. Some games, you get into the game and a guy gets hot. And you play him a little bit more and you go to him a little bit more."

If Jay Cutler continues to have his way in the coming weeks, Knox might become the primary target. And that's not a stretch considering Cutler's history with underrated rookies.

WBBM-AM 780 reported during Sunday's game that a Bears veteran said Knox will develop into Cutler's new Eddie Royal. When Cutler was in Denver last year, Royal, then a rookie second-round pick, caught 91 passes for 980 yards and five touchdowns.

Interestingly, Knox was selected with the fifth-round pick that the Bears received from the Broncos as part of the Cutler trade.

"He has some good raw ability," Smith said. "Great speed. He's really catching the ball well, running good routes. Even as a returner, we've gotten a lot of production from him."

Now the Bears can only hope Knox uses that speed to run straight through the rookie wall instead of into it.

Greg Jennings. That is who Knox reminds me of from a situational standpoint. Jennings played at Western Michigan, not exactly a football factory. Jennings was rated as about a 5th rounder by "the pundits." He was selected in the second round and came right in and played well. He wasn't awed by the game. He just played. This is what Knox is doing.

I am "hopefully" dropping Santana Moss for him tonight in one league. In my dynasty, I am "hopefully" dropping Heyward-Bey for him.

Greg Jennings. That is who Knox reminds me of from a situational standpoint. Jennings played at Western Michigan, not exactly a football factory. Jennings was rated as about a 5th rounder by "the pundits." He was selected in the second round and came right in and played well. He wasn't awed by the game. He just played. This is what Knox is doing.
That's a positive recommendation from a dynasty standpoint.If a redraft, 45-632-3 (Jennings rookie output) isn't going to win many games for you.

whats the consensus here? give it another week before any conclusions?
I don't know that you can have a consensus yet. He's not the starter yet but has tremendous looking raw tools and has looked very good in a couple games so he looks to have the talent but the opportunity isn't there yet but if the 2nd half of game 2 were an indication it may be coming. This is a part of the game where you need to take a little risk, take a gamble for a potentially big payoff. I did it week 3 in Marshall breakout year and I made the move for Knox this year. Not that they are similar players and it happens that Cutler is the QB to both (who I love) but sometimes you just see something in a player and situation that makes you pay attention. So they have a very good QB (IMO) that is going to throw the ball, he tends to lock into his favorite wr's and it's not like Knox is sitting behind Fitz/Boldin or Housh/Johnson, it's Hester and Earl Bennett who are probably in the bottom 5 as a WR tandem. He's got the absolute perfect skillset to work with Cutler....crazy deep speed to match Cutler's arm and tremendous hands for the in tight passes he fed Marshall/Royal with.

here are clips from the 1st 2 games...

fast forward to the 0:24 second mark week 1

Week 2 look at the grab at the 0:29 second mark...

Knox sppeds into spotlight

Chicago Bears rookie Johnny Knox speeds into spotlight

Johnny Knox celebrates his first NFL touchdown catch. (Jonathan Daniel, Getty Images / September 20, 2009)

Tribune reporter

September 22, 2009

E-mail Print Share Text Size

The names ahead of him include Randy Moss, Santonio Holmes and Chad Ochocinco, but for Johnny Knox, there is no shame in being ranked 15th among NFL receiving leaders after two games.

In most people's eyes, Knox has no business on that list, period.

Not a rookie. Not a fifth-round pick. Not a player from a Division II school.

Based on the reaction in Chicago after Knox's six-catch, 70-yard, one-touchdown performance Sunday in a 17-14 upset of the Steelers, the kid from tiny Abilene Christian is larger than life, at least for this week.

"Johnny brings a lot to the table with that speed," coach Lovie Smith said Monday. "He doesn't realize that he's from Abilene Christian, he's in the big city and supposed to be in awe with everything that's going on."

No, he is "Johnny Cool," in a place where receivers have taken a lot of heat lately. Not even Knox got a rookie pass after the season-opening loss in Green Bay.

Fans wondered why he stopped his route, why he allowed Packers cornerback Al Harris to step in front of him for the game-clinching interception. Knox simply pointed at himself for not becoming a defensive back in that situation and vowed to learn from his mistake.

Obviously, he's a quick study.

Knox is one of the handful of players making an impact at a position where rookies have no business doing so. Titans first-round pick Kenny Britt from Rutgers has six catches for 107 yards, a 17.8-yard average. Raiders fourth-round pick Louis Murphy from Florida has six catches for 113 yards and one touchdown.

Knox -- not Devin Hester or Greg Olsen -- is the Bears' leading receiver with eight catches for 152 yards. And this comes one year after Earl Bennett, a third-round pick from Vanderbilt, couldn't get on the field as a rookie.

"I don't know exactly the reason," Smith said when asked why Knox has been able to adjust so quickly. "If you would talk to him, he probably saw it playing out this way. I just know the guy has made progress seems like every time we've put him in position to."

Smith said there was no reason to read into Knox getting snaps over Bennett when the Bears went to two-receiver sets.

"I wouldn't say over Earl," Smith said. "Johnny's one of the guys in the rotation. We play a lot of guys at that position. No more than that.

"[We're] pleased with what Earl has done. Some games, you get into the game and a guy gets hot. And you play him a little bit more and you go to him a little bit more."

If Jay Cutler continues to have his way in the coming weeks, Knox might become the primary target. And that's not a stretch considering Cutler's history with underrated rookies.

WBBM-AM 780 reported during Sunday's game that a Bears veteran said Knox will develop into Cutler's new Eddie Royal. When Cutler was in Denver last year, Royal, then a rookie second-round pick, caught 91 passes for 980 yards and five touchdowns.

Interestingly, Knox was selected with the fifth-round pick that the Bears received from the Broncos as part of the Cutler trade.

"He has some good raw ability," Smith said. "Great speed. He's really catching the ball well, running good routes. Even as a returner, we've gotten a lot of production from him."

Now the Bears can only hope Knox uses that speed to run straight through the rookie wall instead of into it.
Good stuff....thanks for the clips. One question though: I realize Woodson is a good corner, but shouldn't a guy with supposedly 4.34 speed be able to run away from him given that he had two steps on Woodson when he caught the ball. Maybe the angle is deceiving or maybe Knox had to slow down a bit more than it appears to me, but I guess I would have expected him to score on that TD. Not saying he won't be a good player...just that I'm not seeing the comparisons to Greg Jennings...to me he looks more like Laveranues Coles

That's a positive recommendation from a dynasty standpoint.If a redraft, 45-632-3 (Jennings rookie output) isn't going to win many games for you.
I believe he got injured that year. I don't generally predict injuries for players.

As a Bears homer, Knox is getting great press here in Chicago. Knox REPLACED Bennett as the X receiver in the 2nd half of the game against the Steelers and played lights out. You can write off the catches that he made as Cutler picking on the weakest link in the Steelers secondary, but the point is that it was Knox making those catches, not Bennett.

Bennett had 0 catches as a rookie last year and a lot of front office folks took the blame because they asked him to learn every WR position. They've learned from that mistake and have kept Knox at X, and are starting to reap some rewards.

I'd temper expectations, but the fact is that Knox has gotten a lot of great press, has great skills, is humble and has a tremendous work ethic. Coaches love him. He's working with a franchise QB who seems to like him. It's only 2 games, but the promise is definitely there.

Yet another article on Knox:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=6135

I believe he got injured that year. I don't generally predict injuries for players.
I'm not a Packer expert, but he caught passes in 14 different games. Let's say he missed two games and maybe part of another to be generous. Want to bump the numbers up to 50-750-4?It's possible Jennings had a nagging injury that he played through, and maybe someone else can help with that information.But your point is very clear: there is to be nothing that can possibly be construed as negative about Knox in this thread. He is a lock to have 100 yards and at least one TD each game for the rest of his career.I'll stay away now so the love-fest can continue unabated.

I'm not a Packer expert, but he caught passes in 14 different games. Let's say he missed two games and maybe part of another to be generous. Want to bump the numbers up to 50-750-4?It's possible Jennings had a nagging injury that he played through, and maybe someone else can help with that information.But your point is very clear: there is to be nothing that can possibly be construed as negative about Knox in this thread. He is a lock to have 100 yards and at least one TD each game for the rest of his career.I'll stay away now so the love-fest can continue unabated.
the knock is that he's not the clear starter at this point.

So what happens if Bennett has 5 catches for 60 yards this week in SEA and Knox has 2 for 30? Will the immediate expectations for Knox temper considerably?

I like Knox a lot long-term, but right now it seems he and Bennett may be sharing time in 2 WR sets for CHI, and if so, then it may be tough to determine who will have the bigger role with Cutler each week.

But as I mentioned before, I'm starting to think Knox/Bennett may be the starting combo eventually (maybe next year).

I don't think Knox and Bennett are at odds. Earl is made for possession receiver and will do well with that. Knox is made to be more of a burner. Very different receivers.

If you ask me, I hope both these guys continue to progress and Hester just goes back to what he excels at (kick returns)...

So what happens if Bennett has 5 catches for 60 yards this week in SEA and Knox has 2 for 30? Will the immediate expectations for Knox temper considerably? I like Knox a lot long-term, but right now it seems he and Bennett may be sharing time in 2 WR sets for CHI, and if so, then it may be tough to determine who will have the bigger role with Cutler each week.But as I mentioned before, I'm starting to think Knox/Bennett may be the starting combo eventually (maybe next year).
I would think it would temper the chatter a bit but not my long term expectations. With FF being as competitive and the info flow so instantaneous sometimes you need to take a guy a week or two before the blow up or before he's named the starter because once he is it's too late unless you are a top WW pick. To me the writing is on the wall, the team loves him, press loves him, he's played two very good games where his targets went to from 4 to 9 and he replaced Bennett (his targets went from 13 to 2) in the two wr set in the 4th qtr. It could be nothing, it could be something, the next few weeks should give us a better indication.

I don't think Knox and Bennett are at odds. Earl is made for possession receiver and will do well with that. Knox is made to be more of a burner. Very different receivers. If you ask me, I hope both these guys continue to progress and Hester just goes back to what he excels at (kick returns)...
Now, as a Bears fan, I love the idea of them splitting into a 4-wide formation from a 3 and having Olsen and Hester on one side and Knox and Bennet on the other. What teams in the NFL have the speed at the corners to cover Knox AND Hester - and who does that leave to pickup Forte out of the backfield?

So what happens if Bennett has 5 catches for 60 yards this week in SEA and Knox has 2 for 30? Will the immediate expectations for Knox temper considerably? I like Knox a lot long-term, but right now it seems he and Bennett may be sharing time in 2 WR sets for CHI, and if so, then it may be tough to determine who will have the bigger role with Cutler each week.But as I mentioned before, I'm starting to think Knox/Bennett may be the starting combo eventually (maybe next year).
I would think it would temper the chatter a bit but not my long term expectations. With FF being as competitive and the info flow so instantaneous sometimes you need to take a guy a week or two before the blow up or before he's named the starter because once he is it's too late unless you are a top WW pick. To me the writing is on the wall, the team loves him, press loves him, he's played two very good games where his targets went to from 4 to 9 and he replaced Bennett (his targets went from 13 to 2) in the two wr set in the 4th qtr. It could be nothing, it could be something, the next few weeks should give us a better indication.
I generally agree with what you’ve said, and I really do like Knox quite a bit, particularly long-term. However, this year, and I could be totally wrong, but I think it might be up and down for both he and Bennett.And Knox does seem to have the skill set and mentality that could eventually lead to big things for him… and recognizing this is important in FF (to stay ahead of the curve). So I think we largely agree. While Knox may or may not pan out into a special NFL WR, he has shown flashes already in is very young career, enough for FF team owners to take a shot on him for sure.

I generally agree with what you’ve said, and I really do like Knox quite a bit, particularly long-term. However, this year, and I could be totally wrong, but I think it might be up and down for both he and Bennett.And Knox does seem to have the skill set and mentality that could eventually lead to big things for him… and recognizing this is important in FF (to stay ahead of the curve). So I think we largely agree. While Knox may or may not pan out into a special NFL WR, he has shown flashes already in is very young career, enough for FF team owners to take a shot on him for sure.
I'll generally take a shot at guys like this as my #4/5 wr in the event they hit if they don't you move on. I just snagged him last night in a keeper league so I don't have the short term need for him, although of course I'd like it. Good talent, good QB, skillset matches QB skillset very well, unknown opportunity (but behind an average wr at best) is a good gamble IMO.

But your point is very clear: there is to be nothing that can possibly be construed as negative about Knox in this thread. He is a lock to have 100 yards and at least one TD each game for the rest of his career.I'll stay away now so the love-fest can continue unabated.
My point was that Jennings was injured and may have had better stats if he'd stayed healthy. Knox has a long way to go to be as good as Jennings was, but one thing he has going to him is that he isn't injured. Like Jennings was.

I don't think Knox and Bennett are at odds. Earl is made for possession receiver and will do well with that. Knox is made to be more of a burner. Very different receivers. If you ask me, I hope both these guys continue to progress and Hester just goes back to what he excels at (kick returns)...
Going back and watching the highlights, Knox looks like he's got the hands to be a possession receiver as well. Made some nice, tough catches.

I own Knox in one league but I'm not sold just yet. I need to see it play out a couple more weeks before I get excited... Too soon people...

I own Knox in one league but I'm not sold just yet. I need to see it play out a couple more weeks before I get excited... Too soon people...
Fair enough - just be sure to be ready to pounce.
Pounce on those who predict he will be a dud when he succeeds, those that think he will be a stud and he fails, or pounce on him on the WW if he tears it up?
I meant pounce on Knox if he does well again and is available on your WW. But, feel free to pounce on those who pimped him early and look foolish (like me).

Fair enough - just be sure to be ready to pounce.
Pounce on those who predict he will be a dud when he succeeds, those that think he will be a stud and he fails, or pounce on him on the WW if he tears it up?
I meant pounce on Knox if he does well again and is available on your WW. But, feel free to pounce on those who pimped him early and look foolish (like me).
too soon to tell... cutler is going to throw to whoever is is clicking with that night... the first week it was bennett... week 2 it was knox...

Users who are viewing this thread