What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kick Returner Thread (1 Viewer)

Desert_Power

Footballguy
New rule changes could lead to some interesting opportunities in FF leagues. I know there are a few leagues out there that count return yards, but many will include ST TDs for a player. Some leagues count KRTDs as part of a team defense score.

Creating this thread to keep track of any news and/or ideas on how teams will adapt to this new rule. There could be some situations where us Sharks can find an edge.

This is a great thread :hifive:

*Not an advertisement* Since 2001, I have used MFL for our league hosting(s).
The reason we pay for the site is because the scoring can really be dialed in (by Me).
For all the leagues I commish or co-commish, Kick and Punt return yardage is scored for all positions, except PK because they are not used in any of my leagues.

All the leagues I'm part of use IDP's. So, for the last several years I have been keeping track of Rookie CB's. Sometimes they come out of the box starting on D and playing special teams. Others just play teams. That doesn't make them useless because players get hurt and they get forced into the lineup. Week 10 is when you really want to start looking at those dudes.

WR's were the other choice. Most of the players from this position are the small gadget types. These players are not usable unless a league has a KR spot.
RB's will be used, but they will be the type that can't handle more than 150/175 attempts in a season. Those players are worthless unless a league has KR spot in the starting lineup.

My first thesis is that the usage will remain the same for WR/CB. RB will probably dwindle, just because of scarcity.
Lol, very bold prediction there, considering that the most drafted players were WR/CB this year.

I'll be keeping up. Thanks

:banned:

I figured we already had one of these but delighted someone took charge
MoP Jr had to explain the nuances of what has unfolded, some folks are going to be in shock Week 1 of the NFL season
The way I understand it, teams without explosive returners are going to be sad :sadbanana:

GMs may have targeted players with return ability in the later rounds. Such as Anthony Gould (IND) and Jacob Cowing (SF). I think MIA will try Jaylen Wright at kickoff return, Berrios could be cut.

New rule changes could lead to some interesting opportunities in FF leagues. I know there are a few leagues out there that count return yards, but many will include ST TDs for a player. Some leagues count KRTDs as part of a team defense score. Creating this thread to keep track of any news and/or ideas on how teams will adapt to this new rule. There could be some situations where us Sharks can find an edge.
Well done, you get an A+! Given that we're a distinct minority, I hope it's okay to give a plug for DEF/ST. This is for anyone, but in particular LM's looking to do something with DEF/ST in standard. This also will add a bit of something to your wire & even make the experience more fun, imo. I strongly recommend getting rid of that gawd-forsaken shutout bonus! lol Keep everything else of course, but in it's place add the return game. Doing only that & DEF goes from the unit/player (U/P) that is always losing you points to the U/P that never loses points, NEVER!! Plus the fact that they will score more.

As for the new rule, the kickoff takes place from the same spot. So if kicking the ball out of the back of the end-zone is still an objective, that remains unchanged. But if this new rule makes it easier for the coverage team to make the tackle inside the 25-yd line, then perhaps they'll be more of them kicked short. The rookie I like in this mold is Jamari Thrash, but I don't know whether Cleveland was the best landing spot.

I can tell you that Dylan Laube is slated for this role in Vegas, and if his receiving chops translate from little UNH, and if you're not a believer in Alexander Mattison, he's an interesting late round dart throw

Great thread. Two of my leagues start dedicated KR so I am always looking for information. I will post anything useful I find here.

The new kickoff return rules are going to make traditional kickoff returners less valuable. There isn't going to be as much open space running. It is going to be more like a rushing play with the rusher lined up very deep in the backfield.

As I posted in the Chargers thread, here are a couple good articles about the new kickoff rules from the Athletic:

Making sense of NFL’s new kickoff rule and what it means for next season (March 26)
How did new kickoff rules affect NFL Draft? ‘You can either complain or adapt’ (May 6)

As an example of a possible casualty on this front, I think the Chargers WR Derius Davis, who was 2nd team All Pro as a punt returner last season, is on the roster bubble and most likely will not make the final roster. Not that he was great at kickoff returns -- he was below average -- but he was the primary kickoff returner, and now that role may be better filled by a different kind of player.

Users who are viewing this thread