What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones Dedicated To Becoming An All-Around RB (1 Viewer)

ffweasel

Weasel Power
From the Blogger:

RB Jones Dedicated To Becoming An All-Around Back

Chrissie Zavicar, Detroitlions.com - (FULL ARTICLE)

RB Kevin Jones has been standing out as much improved this offseason. Coming up on his third season, Jones has been working closely with Running Backs Coach Wilbert Montgomery to become an all-around back. “During the offseason I was trying to catch about 100 balls a day; a little over 100,” said Jones, who has shown an ease in catching the football throughout the offseason practice and workout sessions. “I want to be the best back and I have to be able to catch the ball and do all those things.”

Last edited by a moderator:
would have been funny if he'd said he's dedicated to becoming a more one-dimensional RB.
yeah kinda a non-news item but thanks for posting ffweasel. Still like to hear certain players displaying a good attitude

would have been funny if he'd said he's dedicated to becoming a more one-dimensional RB.
:lmao: Just like a RB who says he slimmed down in order to become more explosive. It'd be great if they reported "well I felt I was too fast last year, so I put on some pounds so I don't have as much breakaway speed".

yeah kinda a non-news item but thanks for posting ffweasel. Still like to hear certain players displaying a good attitude
As a Lions fan :unsure: it was good to hear that Jones is working on his game and that pass-catching will hopefully be an improvement. Especially considering the new OC. If Kevin can improve that aspect of his game, which it seems he is, then his fantasy production is looking better and better. He caught only 28 and 20 receptions respectively the last two seasons. Of course I am wearing my homer blinders right now. :thumbup:

It is great to hear some good new about Jones. I hadn't heard much out of the coaching staff lately on him. The fact that he's improving as a reciever should really help in a Martz offensive scheme.

Is a 1100/9 year in the making with 50/450/4 recieving?

Watching detroit games last season, I felt like Jones still ran hard and with lots of heart especially considering his supporting cast. I realize his numbers didnt show his determination but I think that with an improved offensive philosophy and supporting cast that he will eventually become a solid fantasy producer. He may not ever live up to be a top 5 dynasty pick that he was at the beginning of last year but certainly last season will not be the norm either. just my 2 cents!

Watching detroit games last season, I felt like Jones still ran hard and with lots of heart especially considering his supporting cast. I realize his numbers didnt show his determination but I think that with an improved offensive philosophy and supporting cast that he will eventually become a solid fantasy producer. He may not ever live up to be a top 5 dynasty pick that he was at the beginning of last year but certainly last season will not be the norm either. just my 2 cents!
I think you're on to something. It's aweful hard to be a steady consistant runner when you're team can't sustain a drive to save its life. He had single digit carries on way to many occassions, and was subbed out for 3rd down backs way too often as well. A healthy Jones who's improved as a reciever should get more touches, more catches, more yards, more TD's, and have more value. He could be the biggest buy low in fantasy right now...

I was wondering whether he would work on the receiving part of his game; particularly with Martz being the OC.

But the question still is: Will Detroit's o-line allow ANY back to be a good producer?

But the question still is: Will Detroit's o-line allow ANY back to be a good producer?
My guess would be no. That's probably the only area of the Lions I don't feel good about entering the season.They'll need Woody to be in shape, Tucker to be healthy and Raiola not to be horribly useless. And even all that would just make it an average line. I don't expect even one of those things to happen, much less all three.

So is this evidence that wasn't trying before? Or was he bad in spite of himself? It just seems he's making a point to say "now I'm really trying because before I wasn't". Why would he try to be a complete back before?

From the Blogger:

RB Jones Dedicated To Becoming An All-Around Back

Chrissie Zavicar, Detroitlions.com - (FULL ARTICLE)

RB Kevin Jones has been standing out as much improved this offseason. Coming up on his third season, Jones has been working closely with Running Backs Coach Wilbert Montgomery to become an all-around back. “During the offseason I was trying to catch about 100 balls a day; a little over 100,” said Jones, who has shown an ease in catching the football throughout the offseason practice and workout sessions. “I want to be the best back and I have to be able to catch the ball and do all those things.”
now it would be nice if he could figure out how to pick up a blitz so he can keep shawn bryson off the field on third down.

So is this evidence that wasn't trying before? Or was he bad in spite of himself? It just seems he's making a point to say "now I'm really trying because before I wasn't". Why would he try to be a complete back before?
Well, who knows what he was told by the bunch of clowns that were coaching before. They probably said: "Now, don't you worry about learning to catch the ball, because we're going to use Bryson on third downs."

Users who are viewing this thread