What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kelvin Benjamin - WR - FSU [UPDATE PAGE 1, 7/3] (3 Viewers)

FWIW:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell prefers Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin to Texas A&M's Mike Evans.

"I thought that he had a little more natural quickness and athleticism than Evans," Cosell said. "I thought that Benjamin brought a lot of the same attributes to the table as Evans, but I thought he was just a little more athletic." Cosell believes Benjamin runs faster than his 40 time. "You want to see a burst when the ball is in the air," Cosell said, mentioning Jerry Rice as one example of a WR who ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash in shorts but appeared far faster once donned in pads. Benjamin is massive, and his speed might sneak up on NFL DBs. Rotoworld's Josh Norris, for the record, likes Evans significantly more than Benjamin (No. 11 overall compared to No. 32).
I'll give you that Benjamin is a little more athletic than Evans but as WR's it's not even close. Evans knows how to get open and makes plays. Benjamin is going to need years to learn how to play WR in the NFL.

FWIW:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell prefers Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin to Texas A&M's Mike Evans.

"I thought that he had a little more natural quickness and athleticism than Evans," Cosell said. "I thought that Benjamin brought a lot of the same attributes to the table as Evans, but I thought he was just a little more athletic." Cosell believes Benjamin runs faster than his 40 time. "You want to see a burst when the ball is in the air," Cosell said, mentioning Jerry Rice as one example of a WR who ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash in shorts but appeared far faster once donned in pads. Benjamin is massive, and his speed might sneak up on NFL DBs. Rotoworld's Josh Norris, for the record, likes Evans significantly more than Benjamin (No. 11 overall compared to No. 32).
I'll give you that Benjamin is a little more athletic than Evans but as WR's it's not even close. Evans knows how to get open and makes plays. Benjamin is going to need years to learn how to play WR in the NFL.
Tend to agree with this, the more I read about the two.

FWIW:

Tend to agree with this, the more I read about the two.
Twitter:

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris

Evans for me, and not really close right now. RT @BrixxisKING: Kelvin Benjamin or Mike Evans?

Rotoworld:

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin will be selected between the No. 12 and 20 picks, according to one NFL scout.
"He really came on the scene this year. He can extend to make a lot of grabs. His route-running is raw," the scout added. Measuring in at 6'5/240 pounds with nearly 35-inch arms has led some to call Benjamin a "rare" prospect, but his drop rate in uncontested situations could lead some to reconsider.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Rotoworld:

Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin will be selected between the No. 12 and 20 picks, according to one NFL scout.
"He really came on the scene this year. He can extend to make a lot of grabs. His route-running is raw," the scout added. Measuring in at 6'5/240 pounds with nearly 35-inch arms has led some to call Benjamin a "rare" prospect, but his drop rate in uncontested situations could lead some to reconsider.

He's hardly a rare prospect - plenty of TE's with his size and measureables. He lacks the speed to get open in the NFL at WR and is basically a slow Ladarius Green.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

He's hardly a rare prospect - plenty of TE's with his size and measureables. He lacks the speed to get open in the NFL at WR and is basically a slow Ladarius Green.
There are plenty of tight ends that are 6'5, 240 and run a 4.5?

Rotoworld:

Where did he run a 4.5? 4.61 at the combine with one of the worst 10 yard splits - 1.66.

Rotoworld:

Where did he run a 4.5? 4.61 at the combine with one of the worst 10 yard splits - 1.66.
At fsu. I'm not going to bother finding the article because I don't care enough, but 4.5, 4.6.....still rare at that size of his.

I've already said I don't think he's going to be a great player in this thread, but he doesn't have a common skill set either.

Rotoworld:

At fsu. I'm not going to bother finding the article because I don't care enough, but 4.5, 4.6.....still rare at that size of his.

I've already said I don't think he's going to be a great player in this thread, but he doesn't have a common skill set either.
It's rare that a guy at his size doesn't get converted to TE. Here are 3 TE's just in this draft who compare to him physically:

Ebron - 6-4, 250, 4.60

A.C. Leonard - 6-2, 252, 4.50

Colt Lyerla - 6-4, 242, 4.61

Rotoworld:

At fsu. I'm not going to bother finding the article because I don't care enough, but 4.5, 4.6.....still rare at that size of his.I've already said I don't think he's going to be a great player in this thread, but he doesn't have a common skill set either.
It's rare that a guy at his size doesn't get converted to TE. Here are 3 TE's just in this draft who compare to him physically:

Ebron - 6-4, 250, 4.60

A.C. Leonard - 6-2, 252, 4.50

Colt Lyerla - 6-4, 242, 4.61
He plays faster than a 4.6. :shrug: At least he did in college. Put the UF tape on. That was a pretty good D and he ate their corners alive. All his problems are mental.

In that offense and at his age he should have dominated his competition more. He's a 23/24 year old project. Not a good combination.

I rewatched Benjamin's best game (against Florida) and here what stood out:

- drops a pass that hits him right in the hands

- dives for a ball that goes through his hands

- catches a 10 yard slant that due to his beastly size and poor tackling he takes in for a 50 yard TD

- nearly rips DB Purifoy's jersey off getting open for a TD (no penalty called)

- beats Purifoy (5-11, 190, 4.61) for a 60 yard catch

- drops a long pass that hits him right in his hands

- beats 5 star recruit Vernon Hargreaves for a long gain, but looks like he pushes off to gain separation

- beats Hargreaves on a corner route for a 5 yard TD. His best play off the game and he'll be hard to defend on this even in the NFL

In the BCS championship against Auburn he was invisible until the 3rd quarter - two incomplete passes in the first half.

In the second half he came up big - a 24 yard catch that led to a FG, a 21 yard catch to the 11 that led to a TD and the game winning 2 yard TD.

The conundrum about Benjamin is that despite his size advantage over everyone he faces why does he disappear so much in games (3 career games with more than 77 yards receiving)?

Because he's not mentally checked into games all the time.

Fsu also had a trio of 800-yard receivers, a tight end who will be drafted next year and good pass catching backs. Lot of balls to go around.

In the BCS championship against Auburn he was invisible until the 3rd quarter - two incomplete passes in the first half.

In the second half he came up big - a 24 yard catch that led to a FG, a 21 yard catch to the 11 that led to a TD and the game winning 2 yard TD.

The conundrum about Benjamin is that despite his size advantage over everyone he faces why does he disappear so much in games (3 career games with more than 77 yards receiving)?
I think Cappy covered that above, but when it was crunch time for all the marbles you see who they went to.

Mike Williams (BMW - USC) dominated in college, but his game didn't translate to the NFL very well.

They look to be similar height, weight and speed.

Is Benjamin more explosive and athletic?

* Guess we can't use the he didn't have a good QB excuse in 2013 to answer CSTUs question.

Rotoworld:

awful first step too.

Do not trust your eyes on this one. I seen some mentioned Steven Hill or Jon Baldwin. At least when you draft those guys you know the Calvin Johnson potential actually exist reading the measurables. It doesn't with Benjamin. Of the WRs I've looked at that's 6'2+, he is the worse athlete. He's near last is almost every category. Dude is a robot. His size makes him NFL worthy, but he's not going to be a star. Outside of the Fla game (I wasn't impressed watching this game) his numbers are not great. He'll be another Ramses Barden or at his absolute best Plax. He'd be an above avg athlete as a TE FWIW.

Hi major FSU homer here. Seem every game he's played, many of them twice.

This year he became #1 on my all time frustrating FSU players list. He is a guy with poor fundamentals; doesn't run routes correctly and always tries to take off before he properly has the ball secured.

I have never seen a more jeckyl and Hyde performance from a player than what he displayed in the Florida game this year. I think he went over 200 yards but had 3 long catches he dropped simply because he tried to go before he had the ball secured. He could have had 350 yards in that game.

His sheer talent, the talent around him and Jameis eventually rose to the top, but he won't have those advantages in the nfl. There's a chance he improves (he was faaaaaaaar better in 2013 than 2012, so he can make strides) but I would not want my nfl team drafting him in round 1. I'm sure he can be a productive player, but I would be floored if he is ever a true #1 wideout.

He's more of a second to third round project to me. There I would be happy with him.
Limas Sweed alert.

He's a tough one to figure out. There are some guys loosely similar to him (huge guys who are similarly unathletic) that have done pretty well -- Plax, Boldin, Tampa Mike Williams -- but they were all stronger prospects than Benjamin in a general sense.

So it comes down to the stuff we don't really get a good look at as outsiders. If he gets himself drafted in the first 40-50 picks I'd be a lot more comfortable with him.

He's a tough one to figure out. There are some guys loosely similar to him (huge guys who are similarly unathletic) that have done pretty well -- Plax, Boldin, Tampa Mike Williams -- but they were all stronger prospects than Benjamin in a general sense.

So it comes down to the stuff we don't really get a good look at as outsiders. If he gets himself drafted in the first 40-50 picks I'd be a lot more comfortable with him.
Do you mean Big Mike WIlliams. I've always thought of Tampa Mike as an athletic jump ball receiver.

Do you mean Big Mike WIlliams. I've always thought of Tampa Mike as an athletic jump ball receiver.
He's actually a bit better than Plax and Boldin, but nothing special. He's just really thick and knows how to use his body well. Which is how Benjamin will succeed if he does IMO.

FWIW:

I think benjamin displays a lot more deep separation on tape than Evans. Evans wins at the catch point more than Benjamin. I think Benjamin runs better routes

Rotoworld:

He got open deep with regularity at FSU. WIDE open, like leaving them in his wake open.

I think you're going to see a player that is going to dominate and going to frustrate. What intrigues the most about him is I don't know what your strategy is to cover him. You can't jam or try to re-route him, he's too thick and big and CBs will take the worst of that. If you play off man, he is sudden enough in his breaks with enough burst out of them to create separation deep.

There are plenty of holes in his game and his one-year wonder profile adds more risk, but he adds exactly the kind of big play "mismatch for every CB in the league when he's on" advantage that teams want in the downfield passing game.

He'll fall to the late first where a team like SF or SEA will add him.

I don't like him as a prospect. He should have dominated more in college at his age. However on tape he seems to have an insane top gear. Takes him awhile to get up to it but when you see it it doesn't even seem real.

Am I the only one who thinks his age is a way overblown factor? I count at least 4 other well regarded guys in this draft class who are within 8 months of his birthday.

Am I the only one who thinks his age is a way overblown factor? I count at least 4 other well regarded guys in this draft class who are within 8 months of his birthday.
believe both roddy white and javon walker were older when they were drafted. agree

If this guy can learn to lower his shoulder and plow over smaller defensive backs, I think he can make his money on Sunday. I am confident he can one some one-on-one matchups downfield on size alone. He'll need another way to create yards and from what I've seen, I think he can become a more physical receiver.

I'd love to see this guy land in Green Bay.

I rewatched Benjamin's best game (against Florida) and here what stood out:

- drops a pass that hits him right in the hands

- dives for a ball that goes through his hands

- catches a 10 yard slant that due to his beastly size and poor tackling he takes in for a 50 yard TD

- nearly rips DB Purifoy's jersey off getting open for a TD (no penalty called)

- beats Purifoy (5-11, 190, 4.61) for a 60 yard catch

- drops a long pass that hits him right in his hands

- beats 5 star recruit Vernon Hargreaves for a long gain, but looks like he pushes off to gain separation

- beats Hargreaves on a corner route for a 5 yard TD. His best play off the game and he'll be hard to defend on this even in the NFL
Yup, if you watch all the Florida St. games you'll find that 90+% of the plays Benjamin made were simply due to some combination of poor defenders and/or refs looking the other way on push offs. I think of the 15 TDs he scored last season, he only really earned one or two of them.

If this guy can learn to lower his shoulder and plow over smaller defensive backs, I think he can make his money on Sunday. I am confident he can one some one-on-one matchups downfield on size alone. He'll need another way to create yards and from what I've seen, I think he can become a more physical receiver.

I'd love to see this guy land in Green Bay.
Huh? What? WR's use quickness, swift hips, good routes, speed, vertical jump, etc. to become good WR's in the nfl, not "lowering the shoulder and bulldozing over the DB." Bolded makes zero since. He's not a RB

The combination of his age and football development concerns me. Sort of makes me question his aptitude. When drafting a raw player, one must presume he will eventually 'get it'. I have concerns whether he will develop his receiving skills.

Rotoworld:

Based on tape study, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin is a "slightly" better receiver prospect than Texas A&M's Mike Evans.
Cosell called Evans a "measured mover," while Benjamin is a superior athlete with more vertical explosion when the ball is in the air. "I remember watching Benjamin run by Florida's corner, Loucheiz Purifoy, on a deep post -- and Purifoy can run, he's in this draft as well -- and Benjamin definitely showed a burst with the ball in the air," Cosell said. "Which is something you definitely look for when you look at vertical routes. ... You don't need to be a 4.4 guy to do that. You know Jerry Rice did that exceptionally well. And Jerry Rice was never a 4.4 guy."

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

believe both roddy white and javon walker were older when they were drafted. agree
Benjamin's age itself isn't the concern, it's his age AND his production that is a concern.

Who are the 4 guys you are referring to?

This guy is exciting as prospect because he has a ton of potential. I like him, maybe not in the first because I think there is too much quality at other positions. I think he takes the common 3 years to stud rather then the rookie stud path. He shows glimpses of burst and stretch but he seems like his muscles are too tight. He doesn't stretch out like he should. You don't see him fully extend very often. Both with his body and arms during catches nor with his legs while he's running. He will need time to work this out and QB/coach that force him to develop. They can't just get used to how he is now and get used to him running slower or not extending. GB is the great spot for him. NE would be better if their WRs were better and they could afford to not start him too soon.

Rotoworld:

Raw speed isn't what gets you open.

Mayock: Florida State could have 6 drafted in first 100 picks

Excerpt:

Benjamin measured 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds at last month's NFL Scouting Combine and was clocked in 4.61 seconds in the 40. The time was mildly disappointing -- he has been clocked as fast as 4.52 seconds -- and Mayock said on NFL Network's "NFL AM" that Benjamin could run the 40 again at the pro day in an attempt for a better time.

But speed isn't Benjamin's main selling point; instead, it's his size: Benjamin has drawn some comparisons to Calvin Johnson.

But there are issues, with Mayock specifically mentioning's Benjamin's propensity for drops. "I think he's got great hands," Mayock said, with the drops coming from concentration lapses. Indeed, watch film of Benjamin from almost any game and you will see him make some tough catches. You also likely will see him drop a ball right in his hands, with no one around.

FSU coaches have criticized Benjamin for his lack of focus and a mediocre work ethic, but those criticisms died down during the 2013 season, when the light apparently came on. He had a monster game against Florida: nine catches, 212 yards, three TDs. Benjamin had more receiving yards than eight teams -- including LSU and Miami -- managed against the Gators, who had allowed just six TD passes before going against Benjamin.

Xue said:
Benjamin's age itself isn't the concern, it's his age AND his production that is a concern.

Who are the 4 guys you are referring to?
He had 15 TDs, 1000+ yards, and a 18.7 YPR last year; his production wasn't bad enough for it to be a huge concern imo.

Do the Benjamin supporters expect their fantasy WRs to frequently achieve 6 (or more) catches and 75 yards receiving in a game? Because Kelvin Benjamin only broke 75 yards 3 times in his 27 game collegiate career. And had only 2 games of 6 or more catches. The fact that he is 6' 5" 240 makes those stats even more pathetic. On top of that, he had a QB in 2012 that was a 1st round pick and his 2013 QB is considered to be the #1 overall QB prospect in the 2015 draft.

Do the Benjamin supporters expect their fantasy WRs to frequently achieve 6 (or more) catches and 75 yards receiving in a game? Because Kelvin Benjamin only broke 75 yards 3 times in his 27 game collegiate career. And had only 2 games of 6 or more catches. The fact that he is 6' 5" 240 makes those stats even more pathetic. On top of that, he had a QB in 2012 that was a 1st round pick and his 2013 QB is considered to be the #1 overall QB prospect in the 2015 draft.
He didn't play much in 2011 or 12. Why are you even bringing those up.

How did Sammy Watkins stats look in 2012?

He's a worse athlete than Big Mike Williams.

Benjamin is in for a rude awakening when he's no longer allowed to push DB's any time he wants to or grab their jerseys and throw them around.

He's a worse athlete than Big Mike Williams.

Benjamin is in for a rude awakening when he's no longer allowed to push DB's any time he wants to or grab their jerseys and throw them around.
I want to see more people bashing him so I can snag him in the mid 2nd.

I didn't bring up 2011 (since he was redshirted), I brought up his 2012 and his 2013 stats.

As a 21 year old, with EJ Manuel at QB, he produced 495 yards receiving and 4 TDs. Which is less (both yards and TDs than Rashad Green (very good player, but is only 6' 175") Rodney Smith (24 year old undrafted free agent) and Kenny Shaw (probably won't be drafted). He was the 4th best WR on his own team in 2012.

As a 22 year old, he finally broke out, but only had 54 catches for 1011 yards, with 15 TDs. Throwing him the ball was probable #1 overall pick Jameis Winston. Rashad Green still outperformed Benjamin on a catch and yardage basis and even future UDFA Kenny Shaw matched his catches and almost his yards (933 to 1011). The 15 TDs are great and so are yards per catch. But the Florida game totally skews the stats. I know you can't remove that game, since it happened, but without it he has a 13 game season with 45 catches, 799 yards and 12 TDs.

And isn't it telling that a player that is supposed to be a borderline 1st round pick, "didn't even play much" (as you stated) in 2011 or 2012? Shouldn't a potential NFL first rounder be dominating the competition at lower levels if he is supposed to produce against the absolute best of the best at the professional level?

Someone brought up Watkins. Watkins walked in off the street as an 18 year old true freshman and blew up the SEC. Meanwhile, it took Benjamin 3 years to finally have a decent season as a college player. And now he is expected to move up to the pros and succeed there when he didn't breakout until age 22 in college?

2014 Pro Days: NFL flocks to Florida State workout

Excerpts:

With less than stellar 40 times at the combine, some scouts were surprised that Benjamin (4.61) and Joyner (4.55), in particular, elected not to attempt to improve upon their numbers Tuesday.
Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Jameis Winston was on hand for the workout but did not participate. He was overheard shouting words of encouragement to his former teammates, including his former playmaking wide receiver, Benjamin, during receiver drills.

At 6-5, 240 pounds, Benjamin has generated some buzz as a potential "Joker" tight end conversion. In adding two pounds and posting an impressive 17 reps of 225 pounds Tuesday, those projections could gain steam for some.

Whether as a tight end or wide receiver, Benjamin's length and strong hands certainly made him one to watch Tuesday.

Benjamin enjoyed a "pretty good positional workout overall," a league source on hand told NFLDraftScout.com, soaring high to pluck passes easily. He did drop two passes, though one was characterized as a "bad ball."

Benjamin, a potential late first round pick, is not an explosive athlete but accelerates smoothly, showing the ability to track down passes that initially appear out of his reach.

Users who are viewing this thread