What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeff Janis (1 Viewer)

Well he was the 4th WR on this night and Montgomery wasn't great but it's one game, lets see what happens this week.
He showed more than White...at least has that gear to blow past a corner off the line.
Yeah and in an offense like that, it might be all you need. You can kind of get away with being a one trick pony on a prolific offense and still be somewhat relevant to the team and in fantasy. It might be a complete crapshoot but he could end up with a 45/650/5-6 stat line. Pick the correct week and you could get great flex/bye week sub production from him.

He's an intriguing sleeper...one or two injuries and this kid is a viable WR2.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's an intriguing sleep...one or two injuries and this kid is a viable WR2.
That's probably the reason I continue to hold him where I have him. With high powered offenses, an injury here or there elevates the average guy more than on other teams (obviously).

Rotoworld:

Jeff Janis caught 3-of-7 targets for 25 yards in the Packers' second preseason game.

Janis had a bad drop on a third down, but he made up for it with back-to-back nine yard receptions on the very next drive. Janis was the first wide receiver off the bench when Jordy Nelson was forced from the game with a torn ACL, and he should be considered the favorite for snaps next to Davante Adams and Randall Cobb in three-wide sets. He is a great late-round flier, though his ADP is sure to skyrocket in the coming days.

Aug 23 - 4:20 PM

That's probably the reason I continue to hold him where I have him. With high powered offenses, an injury here or there elevates the average guy more than on other teams (obviously).
Halfway there.

Still don't really see this guys value in redraft though... maybe as a late pick. I like Montgomery and Janis both to get some reps, but this injury seems to pretty much mostly benefit Lacy/TE Rodgers, and Adams.

If Adams or Cobb goes down though, then Janis should have massive targets.

Picked Janis up in the 15th in a draft today about an hour after the news re: Jordy broke. Ty Montgomery went the round before. The first guy in our league who heard the news drafted Davante Adams around round 9 or 10 then rubbed the news in the face of the owner who drafted Nelson. Brutal.

Picked Janis up in the 15th in a draft today about an hour after the news re: Jordy broke. Ty Montgomery went the round before. The first guy in our league who heard the news drafted Davante Adams around round 9 or 10 then rubbed the news in the face of the owner who drafted Nelson. Brutal.
wow. so the news broke before the draft and only that guy knew about it?

wow. so the news broke before the draft and only that guy knew about it?
The news broke around the middle of the draft. The guy who found out first snagged Adams.

Should I be shopping him for a 2016 2nd round pick, or is he a hold right now?
I think Janis is a guy to watch but I think hoping to get a 2nd round pick for him is dreaming a little at this point. He and Montgomery look to be the most likely 3rd and 4th guys but I certainly wouldn't buy for a 2nd round pick.

I think Janis is a guy to watch but I think hoping to get a 2nd round pick for him is dreaming a little at this point. He and Montgomery look to be the most likely 3rd and 4th guys but I certainly wouldn't buy for a 2nd round pick.
What do you think his current value is?

What about if/when he makes the final roster?

Deamon said:
Halfway there.

Still don't really see this guys value in redraft though... maybe as a late pick. I like Montgomery and Janis both to get some reps, but this injury seems to pretty much mostly benefit Lacy/TE Rodgers, and Adams.

If Adams or Cobb goes down though, then Janis should have massive targets.
I've given it some thought and, of course I'm biased because I DO own Janis as I said a few weeks ago, but I've tried to step outside of the bias and give it a realistic look.

Most people think Adams will benefit much greater than anyone else and I think we can all appreciate why that is the thought.

With that being said, I'm still pretty happy to have Janis right now because I think I can see the scenario and the reason behind it where the Packers see Janis as that one-trick kind of guy (but that is something he seems to do well at) and because that skill is similar to what they really benefited the most from Jordy in, I can see Janis benefitting quite a bit.

Right now, I am more "concerned" if the Packers go out and get Reggie Wayne or Wes Welker. Not because I think either of those guys will block the other young guys all year but because it just slows it down for a while.

What do you think his current value is?

What about if/when he makes the final roster?
A lot might depend on roster sizes and starting requirements. I can maybe see someone willing to pay a 3rd round pick at earliest. I actually think Janis opens up the season as the 3rd WR and Montgomery the 4th. You have to wonder though about how much value he will sustain. Jordy back next season would most likely drop him back into a battle with Montgomery for the 4th WR spot again. Cobb, Nelson and Adams will be around for a while. The injury opens up a chance for short term value and maybe long term value if he really shows something. If I were trading him I would be hoping for a 3rd but I wouldn't be surprised if nobody was paying that for him.

Worst case is he gets more reps with #2's and possibly some #1 reps. He's a project that is trending up but as an owner I'm waiting for him to flash in an actual game so I can be that owner that brags and says "I've had him on my roster for a year already"

Rotoworld:

Jeff Janis - WR - Packers

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggests second-year WR Jeff Janis has been too "inconsistent" to take over as the Packers' third receiver.

Janis has flashed serious big-play ability through his first two NFL preseasons, but he did drop a pass in Sunday's second preseason game, and also fumbled away a punt. Beat writer Tom Silverstein acknowledges Janis "would be the ideal replacement" for Jordy Nelson from a body-type standpoint in three-receiver sets. We're still not ruling out Janis beating out Ty Montgomery. Both should get boatloads of preseason snaps from here on out.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Aug 24 - 5:51 PM

You could have just hung onto Charlse Johnson GB
Yep, wish they had but that pre season he was hurt so much they didn't see what they had.

Janis keeps geting open in camp and keeps dropping balls. I thought it was Montgomert's hands that were suspect.

He would be the better choice as outside WR but needs to hold onto the throws.

Rotoworld:

Jeff Janis had three catches for 72 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' third preseason game.

Janis was behind Ty Montgomery in three-wide sets, but saw an expanded role after Randall Cobb went down. The Packers played Janis deep into the second half, with his touchdown coming on a 27-yard pass from Matt Blanchard. Cobb's shoulder injury has potential to create an opportunity for Janis.

Aug 29 - 10:50 PM

Still see Adams and Montgomery above him and then add in that Cobb might not even be out extended time.

He is a good hold in dynasty but in redraft I think you are asking a lot for more injuries to hit the Packers WRs.

Still see Adams and Montgomery above him and then add in that Cobb might not even be out extended time.

He is a good hold in dynasty but in redraft I think you are asking a lot for more injuries to hit the Packers WRs.
Agreed...with some possible big play potential.

I think they like him to stretch the field more than the other guys and doing things similar to what Jordy could do over the top. Just too inconsistent still with the drops.

Montgomery not helping himself in the return game the past 2 weeks though.

I think they like him to stretch the field more than the other guys and doing things similar to what Jordy could do over the top. Just too inconsistent still with the drops.

And his drops. Has Montgomery caught a pass more than 10 yards passed the LOS? His 52 yarder was a short catch and run, and yes they all count but if you're not a threat to a defense, you're not helping the offense. Janis has at least caught passes down field, they both have had drops, neither is that impressive at this point. Hopefully if McCarthy does go with Montgomery, he's got the guts to change quickly when he realizes his mistake. Unless they are just looking for him to catch short passes only, hoping he will break a tackle and let Cobb, Adams and Rodgers do the heavy lifting.

And his drops. Has Montgomery caught a pass more than 10 yards passed the LOS? His 52 yarder was a short catch and run, and yes they all count but if you're not a threat to a defense, you're not helping the offense. Janis has at least caught passes down field, they both have had drops, neither is that impressive at this point. Hopefully if McCarthy does go with Montgomery, he's got the guts to change quickly when he realizes his mistake. Unless they are just looking for him to catch short passes only, hoping he will break a tackle and let Cobb, Adams and Rodgers do the heavy lifting.
People keep saying that Montgomery can't do this or that. He did EVERYTHING a WR can do at Stanford. He lined up outside most of the time and spent a smaller percentage of time in the slot. He ran every route at Stanford. He's just such a terror in the open field it's easier to dump it off and watch him go. His game right now is not unlike Nelson's coming out of Kansas State. In fact, I see Janis as the one trick pony, and Montgomery as the guy who can best fill the outside roles with Adams on offense.

Any updates on Janis? Is Adams still the play in GB with Jordy down? Any value in Janis or is he droppable?

Any updates on Janis? Is Adams still the play in GB with Jordy down? Any value in Janis or is he droppable?
I think there has never been any doubt that Adams is the play with Jordy down. The only true unknown is who will really step in as WR3 in GB with the potentnial to be an every down WR if Cobb or Adams goes down. We will have a better idea after last pre-season game maybe.

From Rotoworld today

Packers second-year WR Jeff Janis is behind rookie Ty Montgomery because Janis "hasn't fully won over his quarterback yet."

Trust is critical between pass catchers and their quarterbacks. Aaron Rodgers apparently doesn't yet trust Janis enough for him to have a significant role in Green Bay's offense. "Jeff will have some great days and some days where mentally he's making too many mistakes," Rodgers said. "The talent and athleticism is there. We just need to see from all those guys battling for those two spots just some more consistency." Janis has a higher ceiling than Montgomery, but needs to start climbing the depth chart to make any 2015 fantasy noise.

From Rotoworld today

Packers second-year WR Jeff Janis is behind rookie Ty Montgomery because Janis "hasn't fully won over his quarterback yet."

Trust is critical between pass catchers and their quarterbacks. Aaron Rodgers apparently doesn't yet trust Janis enough for him to have a significant role in Green Bay's offense. "Jeff will have some great days and some days where mentally he's making too many mistakes," Rodgers said. "The talent and athleticism is there. We just need to see from all those guys battling for those two spots just some more consistency." Janis has a higher ceiling than Montgomery, but needs to start climbing the depth chart to make any 2015 fantasy noise.
Also From Rotoworld today

Third-round pick Ty Montgomery is still considered to have the "upper hand" for Green Bay's No. 3 receiver job.

Playing outside at Z receiver, Montgomery is coming off a third preseason game where he posted a 2-71 receiving line working in three-wide sets alongside Randall Cobb and Davante Adams. Montgomery is very clearly ahead of Jeff Janis, who "hasn't fully won over" Aaron Rodgers. Montgomery is a worthy late-round flyer in re-draft leagues, with an up arrow on his Dynasty value.

Loved seeing those crazy good metrics flash for a brief moment on the field for his 2 catch game a few weeks ago. If you've been holding, keep holding. If you're thinking about getting him then you need to have the patience to stash him for 2 years while he grows into a high variance WR2 or WR3.Nothing to see here for redraft unless and until there are two injuries ahead of him.

Can't believe he's not getting a shot in Green Bay. Their offense really misses Jordy Nelson, ie a a big outside receiver with speed who can get deep, and that's exactly what Janis is.

Can't believe he's not getting a shot in Green Bay. Their offense really misses Jordy Nelson, ie a a big outside receiver with speed who can get deep, and that's exactly what Janis is.
I'm in the same boat. Seems like exactly the type of player they need to open things up.

I picked him up purely off speculation a few weeks ago thinking that his skill set is exactly what they need. Hasn't worked out Abbrederis was getting involved before him. Any reason to think this might change?

Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Lacy. No one else matters in the passing game. Not Abberderis, not Janis and not Montgomery.
Janis is better than Adams and will surpass him at some point this year. Mark it.
Basing this on what?
Opinion
Exactly.. It is just my opinion, perhaps I came a little matter of fact with it. But to me I didn't see anything special with Adams, at all. Perhaps (and likely) it is good enough to entrench himself as the WR3 for the foreseeable future. The relatively poor AYA when throwing to him is evidence that he wasn't anything special and I'd argue that there were probably 10 rookies WRs last year that could of matched or surpassed his production with ~60 targets in that offense.

I don't think there was a situation last season where Janis could of realistically got playing time, based on his draft position. It was and is an uphill battle, but I believe in the talent and the praise that he has continually drawn from coaching staffs.

A realistic situation i'm positing here is that there is an injury to top 3 and Janis gets his opportunity. And when he does, he's going to excel because he's an electric player with a lot of great players around him. If say Adams pulls a hammy and is out for a 2-4 week stretch, I don't think it is crazy to say that Janis could over take him. I really don't.
I was both completely spot on and way off with this post..

Davante Adams is proving to be a JAG, and Janis is looking like a late round pick who will never get a chance and hasn't made much of opportunity for playing time.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Lacy. No one else matters in the passing game. Not Abberderis, not Janis and not Montgomery.
Janis is better than Adams and will surpass him at some point this year. Mark it.
Basing this on what?
Opinion
Exactly.. It is just my opinion, perhaps I came a little matter of fact with it. But to me I didn't see anything special with Adams, at all. Perhaps (and likely) it is good enough to entrench himself as the WR3 for the foreseeable future. The relatively poor AYA when throwing to him is evidence that he wasn't anything special and I'd argue that there were probably 10 rookies WRs last year that could of matched or surpassed his production with ~60 targets in that offense.

I don't think there was a situation last season where Janis could of realistically got playing time, based on his draft position. It was and is an uphill battle, but I believe in the talent and the praise that he has continually drawn from coaching staffs.

A realistic situation i'm positing here is that there is an injury to top 3 and Janis gets his opportunity. And when he does, he's going to excel because he's an electric player with a lot of great players around him. If say Adams pulls a hammy and is out for a 2-4 week stretch, I don't think it is crazy to say that Janis could over take him. I really don't.
I was both completely spot on and way off with this post..

Davante Adams is proving to be a JAG, and Janis is looking like a late round pick who will never get a chance and hasn't made much of opportunity for playing time.
Pretty confident in saying the book has been largely written on Jeff Janis. Its his 3rd year in the league. The Packers have had multiple injuries to WRs. He still can't get on the field, and they put another late round pick out there ahead of him (Abbrederis) this past week. Janis is a great athlete and bad WR. Special teamer.

Davante Adams may turn out to be a JAG, but calling him that at this point is extremely premature. He's ascended to starting WR for the Packers, and would be starting even if the Packers had Nelson this year. He's only been targeted in 22 NFL games, and a few of those are injury shortened games. Yet, he's had multiple 100 yard games, including one vs NE in 2014 and Dallas in the playoffs last year.

I think you really need to look at what Randall Cobb is doing this year vs last year when you are evaluating the Packer pass catchers. Especially his last 6 games. Outside of one garbage time 53 yard catch and run TD, Cobb's numbers are abysmal over the last 6. Aaron Rodgers is playing bad football right now. He's compiling stats in garbage time, and much of that has been dump off screen passes. His downfield passing has been erratic to say the least. I'm guessing he's injured, because honestly, that's the only thing that really makes sense given his track record.

Janis is 2nd year player too, but I agree that the book has been written on him. He should have been able to make some ascension up the depth chart with all of the injuries.

As far as Cobb.. His shoulder is causing him problems, this is an injury that really limited Jimmy Graham a few years ago after his torrid start. I also think that losing Nelson was a bigger hit than everyone expected. His big play ability really opened up the offense. Add to that an anemic running game, bad offensive line and its not really that big of a mystery as to why ARod isn't being ARod.

With regard to Adams.. I'm basing his JAG status not off of raw stats in a select few games. He is probably talented enough to hold down a WR3 on most teams, but he is not nearly as good as the hype going into the year would lead one to believe. Regardless of ARod/offensive struggles, he had -21- targets last week, and was able to turn that into 10 catches for 79 yards and no TDs. He is so inefficient and doesn't make any big plays. He also has looked very pedestrian every time I've watched him play.

Packers lose receiver Jared Abbrederis for 'several weeks'

As time moves on, hopefully he’ll have more opportunities on offense,” McCarthy said of Janis. “It’s really about continuing to practice, getting in and out of different personnel groups and frankly, some players have performed a little higher in front of him, Jared Abbrederis. Jared has actually performed very well in the past month, and you see the opportunities he had against Detroit and took full advantage of them. Hopefully, Jeff will be the next guy to do that.”

At least he got some action...

(Rotoworld)Jeff Janis did not catch either of his two targets Week 11 against the Vikings.

Analysis: Janis did make an impact by drawing a long defensive pass interference penalty on the Packers' touchdown drive to close out the first half. He also got open deep late in the game, but Aaron Rodgers missed him. Janis has shown he is behind both Ty Montgomery and Jared Abbrederis on the depth chart, but both are out with injuries right now. He could serve as the No. 4 again on Thanksgiving Day, but he will not carry any fantasy value into the game.

Janis is exactly what the slow, ponderous Packers offense needs right now. They need someone with size and speed to go downfield and Janis is sitting there rotting on the bench. I don't buy all this stuff about him not being talented, he has looked great in camp, pre-season, and whenever given the opportunity in the regular season too. Let's hope the numbskull Packers coaches finally wake up to it, whether this season or the off-season, I have stashed Janis in ALL my dynasty leagues!

Janis is exactly what the slow, ponderous Packers offense needs right now. They need someone with size and speed to go downfield and Janis is sitting there rotting on the bench. I don't buy all this stuff about him not being talented, he has looked great in camp, pre-season, and whenever given the opportunity in the regular season too. Let's hope the numbskull Packers coaches finally wake up to it, whether this season or the off-season, I have stashed Janis in ALL my dynasty leagues!
He can't run routes! Can't track the ball in the air! Doesn't come back to the ball to make catches. Does poorly in traffic. He is Bill Schroeder part 2!

If you get points for special teams tackles you are golden! What Alex P Keaton said.

it's always the coach's fault. The player is never to blame.

Users who are viewing this thread