What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jared Abbrederis (3 Viewers)

good question. They were discussing this on McGinn's podcast last week. They say that GB usually keeps 5 or 6

Nelson

Cobb

Boykin

White

Adams

Abbrederis

Janis

I don't know who plays ST, but that is a factor. We will see how it shakes out. My guess is that either Abbrederis or Janis is destined to hit the practice squad.

good question. They were discussing this on McGinn's podcast last week. They say that GB usually keeps 5 or 6

Nelson

Cobb

Boykin

White

Adams

Abbrederis

Janis

I don't know who plays ST, but that is a factor. We will see how it shakes out. My guess is that either Abbrederis or Janis is destined to hit the practice squad.
if Janis does well enough in camp that the pack doesn't want to expose him to waivers to try to slip him through to the practice squad I'd bet on White being the first cut.

Nelson

Cobb

Boykin

White

Adams

Abbrederis

Janis

if Janis does well enough in camp that the pack doesn't want to expose him to waivers to try to slip him through to the practice squad I'd bet on White being the first cut.
So whoever doesn't make the roster will be relegated to the practice squad, where other teams can sign them?

Nelson

Cobb

Boykin

White

Adams

Abbrederis

Janis

So whoever doesn't make the roster will be relegated to the practice squad, where other teams can sign them?
once on the practice squad it is the players option though. With Nelson and Cobb on expiring contracts and Boykin a rfa at seasons end given the Packers track record for developing their own they would be smart to stay unless a golden opportunity presents itself.

Nelson

Cobb

Boykin

White

Adams

Abbrederis

Janis

Adams is already WR4, and likely WR3 for most of the season. IMO White is the first cut. Abbrederis and Janis will fight for the 5th and likely last WR roster spot, and special teams will be the difference. No idea who wins there. The other is practice squad material.

Nelson

Cobb

Boykin

White

Adams

Abbrederis

Janis

Adams is already WR4, and likely WR3 for most of the season. IMO White is the first cut. Abbrederis and Janis will fight for the 5th and likely last WR roster spot, and special teams will be the difference. No idea who wins there. The other is practice squad material.
Id guess Abbrederis has the edge.

Probably a little more polished as a WR and has quite a bit of special teams experience.

White may push a bit...just don't see him making it unless Boykin just flops completely.

Being a huge Badger fan I've gotten the privilege of being able to watch Abberderis play his entire college career. This kid has always beaten the odds. Walk on at WIS, always drew the other team' stop cover guy, downgraded from Wilson to Stave - no matter what he always produced. He would be shockingly open at times, even against future NFL starting caliber CBs, and if he had a QB the past couple of years who could deliver the ball reliably he would have put up some eye popping numbers.

He always finds a way, usually through incredibly precise route running and just as strong selling moves. He's fast enough and big enough to play in the NFL. And when the ball is in his vicinity, he finds a way to get to it first and catch it, even with a CB draped all over him. He comes back to the ball and is always moving to get open on broken plays.

He's not flashy, he's not sexy, but this guy can be a QB's best friend. He's just reliable, especially when you need a big play. The guy I think of when I watch him play is Largent. At the end of the day you look at what he did in the game, marvel at how he did it, and shake your head wondering how.

I would not bet against this kid. Adversity is nothing new to him and he won't be daunted by GB's other WRs. You put a guy like this with a QB like Rodgers and you just can't help but see upside. Who knows, he may not make it, but I just would not bet against him - especially where you can get him in FF drafts right now.

He would be shockingly open at times, even against future NFL starting caliber CBs, and if he had a QB the past couple of years who could deliver the ball reliably he would have put up some eye popping numbers.
He always finds a way, usually through incredibly precise route running and just as strong selling moves. He's fast enough and big enough to play in the NFL. And when the ball is in his vicinity, he finds a way to get to it first and catch it, even with a CB draped all over him. He comes back to the ball and is always moving to get open on broken plays.
A lot of experts and posters in the shark pool say Abbrederis doesn't have the talent for the NFL. Maybe I don't have the wits for this, but I'm encouraged by his college film which shows separation play after play. I don't see how a guy without talent can do so well beating coverage in the Big 10.

Abbrederis was drafted in the 5th round though, so apparently the NFL agrees with the nay sayers. I still haven't abandoned ship though. Call me stubborn, but I'll look to draft him as a hidden gem in the 3rd/4th round of my rookie drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
He would be shockingly open at times, even against future NFL starting caliber CBs, and if he had a QB the past couple of years who could deliver the ball reliably he would have put up some eye popping numbers.
A lot of experts and posters in the shark pool say Abbrederis doesn't have the talent for the NFL. Maybe I don't have the wits for this, but I'm encouraged by his college film which shows separation play after play. I don't see how a guy without talent can do so well beating coverage in the Big 10.

Abbrederis was drafted in the 5th round though, so apparently the NFL agrees with the nay sayers. I still haven't abandoned ship though. Call me stubborn, but I'll look to draft him as a hidden gem in the 3rd/4th round of my rookie drafts.
Got him at 3.10 in an idp league, probably could have and should have waited until 4.12 as I lost another prime target by ensuring I got him.

Got him at 3.10 in an idp league, probably could have and should have waited until 4.12 as I lost another prime target by ensuring I got him.
Debating with myself about whether to greedily wait until the 4th round. Mainly it depends on who I have available to draft in 3rd.

cloppbeast said:
Bronco Billy said:

I didn't say he doesn't have the talent for the NFL, just that he doesn't seemed destined to have much of a fantasy impact. Hartline has developed into a good receiver and I think Abbrederis could do the same, but a low-end WR2 doesn't excite anyone. If you've got deep rosters then he's worth spending a 4th on and holding for a few years.

cloppbeast said:
Bronco Billy said:

I didn't say he doesn't have the talent for the NFL, just that he doesn't seemed destined to have much of a fantasy impact. Hartline has developed into a good receiver and I think Abbrederis could do the same, but a low-end WR2 doesn't excite anyone. If you've got deep rosters then he's worth spending a 4th on and holding for a few years.
I would agree...I don't see fantasy impact this year barring some major injuries ahead of him and him ending up as the #2 guy in GB. (unless he ends up like 3 or 4 somehow and you are in a return yardage league with him winning the return duties too)

cloppbeast said:
Bronco Billy said:

I would agree...I don't see fantasy impact this year barring some major injuries ahead of him and him ending up as the #2 guy in GB. (unless he ends up like 3 or 4 somehow and you are in a return yardage league with him winning the return duties too)
Anyone drafting Abbrederis should not expect anything in fantasy this year. All those expiring contracts at the end of the year is what dynasty owners should be looking at. I'd bet the Pack don't lose both Cobb and Nelson, but given what they did in the draft I'll bet they expect to lose one of them. In that offense, especially if tight end isn't fixed, three wide receivers can be fantasy worthy and it's reasonable to expect those top three WR's in 2015 to be Cobb or Nelson, Adams, and Abbrederis (or Janis).

It wouldn't be right to forget about Boykin, but I wasn't all that impressed with him last year. He may stick around for two years because he's a RFA at season's end, but I'd be surprised if he is in their long term plan.

Anyone drafting Abbrederis should not expect anything in fantasy this year. All those expiring contracts at the end of the year is what dynasty owners should be looking at. I'd bet the Pack don't lose both Cobb and Nelson, but given what they did in the draft I'll bet they expect to lose one of them. In that offense, especially if tight end isn't fixed, three wide receivers can be fantasy worthy and it's reasonable to expect those top three WR's in 2015 to be Cobb or Nelson, Adams, and Abbrederis (or Janis).
Abbrederis is probably the most pro ready wide receiver in this draft, so I will disagree about his prospects this season. As you stated, three wide receivers could easily produce in this offense, as in the past. It wouldn't surprise me to see Abbrederis beat out just-a-guy Boykin or his fellow rookies, both works in progress. Albeit, I certainly wouldn't expect anything outrageous from Abbrederis - just enough for a spot start or a sell high.

His long term prospects have crowded promise. It seems intuitive that either Cobb or Nelson will leave after this season, based on the draft. Three rookies will compete over the next year and half to take over as the starter. I'd say Adams has the most physical talent of the three, but he also has a lot to learn. Betting on Abbrederis means hoping that Adams doesn't develop.

Then again, if two rookies prove capable, it's also possible the Packers let both Cobb and Nelson walk.

I don't think Boykin is just a guy. Not that I think he's in the same caliber as Nelson or Cobb, and he has some development to do, for sure, before we can really tell what his ceiling is. However, just as James Jones was a different style of player than Nelson and Cobb, and served as a compliment, I think Boykin can step into that role and hold his own, especially this year. I wouldn't be surprised if some part of the James Jones decision had to do with some of what Boykin flashed here and there last Season. Anyway, I think Boykin is probably more concerned about holding off Davante Adams, as he's the more likely competitor for that particular role. I'm a fan of Abbrederis, and if it wasn't for the concussions, I'd be very high on him, if only because the Packers drafted him, and they're pretty good at evaluating WR talent...but he's more in the family tree of Driver / Cobb / ... in my opinion, than a threat to what role Boykin would be looking to fill in that offense...just my two cents.

Rotoworld:

Packers rookie Jared Abbrederis' special teams ability gives him a leg up in the battle for a roster spot.

Green Bay is searching for a replacement for Randall Cobb on both kickoff and punt returns. Abbrederis was an excellent college returner, and worked with the Packers' special teams in spring practices. Abbrederis will battle fellow rookie Jeff Janis, Chris Harper, and Kevin Dorsey for the No. 5 receiver job in camp.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Jul 7 - 11:13 AM

went undrafted in my league.

picked him up off waivers.

interesting prospect, if for no other reason than he landed on the Packers.

Yeah...seems there will be someone left out of this group of WRs.

Long term potential if he can make the team and one of Nelson/Cobb leave...best cae for Abby would be one of them leave, and Boykin does not make it long.

Leaving Cobb or Nelson, Adams, and Abby as the 1st three guys (and none of the others mentioned in the last blurb by Faust pushing past him at all)

He has to shine on returns though.

Yeah...seems there will be someone left out of this group of WRs.

Long term potential if he can make the team and one of Nelson/Cobb leave...best cae for Abby would be one of them leave, and Boykin does not make it long.

Leaving Cobb or Nelson, Adams, and Abby as the 1st three guys (and none of the others mentioned in the last blurb by Faust pushing past him at all)

He has to shine on returns though.
Agreed with this. I'm thinking he makes the roster this year primarily as a special teams player but also because he's a really good WR. I expect him to contribute offensively this year, not enough to matter for fantasy purposes, but some. Boykin isn't a long-term impediment to Abby's playing time and either Cobb or Jordy won't get resigned. My hunch is that Jordy is priority at this point but that could change.

Sucks...always really hurts a rookie to only get a few days of camp and be out like this too.

Will be so behind even next year.

What a shame. It sounds like he was carving out a spot for himself and I think GB will be wanting an upgrade at their WR3 by the time this season is over.

What a shame. It sounds like he was carving out a spot for himself and I think GB will be wanting an upgrade at their WR3 by the time this season is over.
Nelson, Cobb as #1 and #2.

Boykin seemed solid enough to be a #3 last year and they drafted Adams high.

I guess if you are saying Cobb will be gone and Adams will disappoint...but you seem to be talking about the end of the season more than just next camp when Abbrederis should be back.

Looks more like Ted Thompson prepared for such an injury by the draft and has a lot of early depth right now.

I don't think losing a later round rookie early in training camp will hurt them all that much.

Rotoworld:

Jared Abbrederis - WR - Packers

Packers WR Jared Abbrederis still hasn't passed through the NFL's concussion protocol since suffering a concussion in late July.

It's a fairly scary situation. Normally, players only need a few days to pass through the protocol. Abbrederis has been unable to get medically cleared for two-plus weeks. We'd be fairly surprised if he made the Packers' 53.

Source: Tom Silverstein on Twitter

Aug 15 - 3:29 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Packers WR Jared Abbrederis still hasn't passed through the NFL's concussion protocol since suffering a concussion in late July.

It's a fairly scary situation. Normally, players only need a few days to pass through the protocol. Abbrederis has been unable to get medically cleared for two-plus weeks. We'd be fairly surprised if he made the Packers' 53.

Looks like his playing days are over. I might have a had a concussion at Madison during college also.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Looks like his playing days are over. I might have a had a concussion at Madison during college also.
Pretty sure he did.

Homer BUMP here.

Abbrederis made his first ever NFL reception and a total of 4 against DET (7 targets). He was knocked out of the game after his 4th catch where he was exploded along the sidelines injuring his ribs and fumbling out of bounds. It's appeared to me the Packers are trying to get him involved and if he can stay healthy (big IF), he may be worth a flyer for the stretch run.

Abby is an awesome possession wr who will also hold,value as a return man at some point in his career. Next year I see big things for him if he can get the PR KR job... Hyde has done a great job in that department though

Homer BUMP here.

Abbrederis made his first ever NFL reception and a total of 4 against DET (7 targets). He was knocked out of the game after his 4th catch where he was exploded along the sidelines injuring his ribs and fumbling out of bounds. It's appeared to me the Packers are trying to get him involved and if he can stay healthy (big IF), he may be worth a flyer for the stretch run.
I was getting worried about my ability to re-claim him on waivers, but when this happened I figured he'd be off waivers radar's this week. Please keep it that way until Thursday, fellas.

Dark Matter said:
JIslander said:
Any redraft value ROS?
Depends a whole lot on Montgomery's status and Abby's ability to stay on the field. Both are up in the air today.
Agreed. Imo this guy has better hands than Adams. Montgomery is the big issue, because he looks great too. I think he holds more value in ppr but that's just my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread