What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were starting a small business with <10K startup capital... (1 Viewer)

Mobile hygiene unit (shower / laundry) partnered with service organizations that provide clothing, a mobile food pantry, and a mobile wellness unit.

First unit will cost $140k to build from scratch but conversions of buses / straight trucks are cheaper. Water hookup to is to a fire hydrant.

You will make zero dollars profit and likely will depend solely on a volunteer, faith based workforce. Let's make this happen.

"...as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."

PM if interested.

A landscaping service that actually shows up when they are supposed to!!!!
There's something to this. Trades are very easy to get into, which is why they are littered with so many lousy/sketchy businesspeople. It's not that hard to shine. My neighbor (maybe 25 years old) started a part-time landscaping biz two years ago. From what I can see, he hustles and shows up on time, clear-eyed and ready to work. He's adding equipment, and I suspect within a year or two, this will be his full time biz. 

Mobile hygiene unit (shower / laundry) partnered with service organizations that provide clothing, a mobile food pantry, and a mobile wellness unit.

First unit will cost $140k to build from scratch but conversions of buses / straight trucks are cheaper. Water hookup to is to a fire hydrant.

You will make zero dollars profit and likely will depend solely on a volunteer, faith based workforce. Let's make this happen.

PM if interested.
I could see some problems with disease spreading with this(HIV, bed bugs, etc), what is the sterilization process after use of a shower? 

Last edited by a moderator:
A coworker has a side business renting inflatable bounce houses for parties. The overhead is the product cost, storage, high school kid to deliver product, and delivery vehicle. A standard 13' x 13' inflatable castle ranges from $1,000 - $1,300 plus shipping. You charge by the hour. 

A coworker has a side business renting inflatable bounce houses for parties. The overhead is the product cost, storage, high school kid to deliver product, and delivery vehicle. A standard 13' x 13' inflatable castle ranges from $1,000 - $1,300 plus shipping. You charge by the hour. 
And don't forget all the liability that comes with it.

PM if interested.
I could see some problems with disease spreading with this(HIV, bed bugs, etc), what is the sterilization process after use of a shower? 
Article 165 of the New York City Health Code.

Though really, kinda nuts the guberment be all up in your bidness, right?

#makecleanlinessgreatagain

FTR

HIV can only be transmitted from an infected person to another through direct contact of bodily fluids such as:

• Blood (including menstrual blood)
  • Semen / cum / precum / ejaculate
  • ######l secretions
  • Breast milk
Blood contains the highest concentration of the virus, followed by semen, followed by ######l fluids, followed by breast milk.

Not listed: public showering. Weird they missed that one.

FTR

HIV can only be transmitted from an infected person to another through direct contact of bodily fluids such as:

• ######l secretions
  • Breast milk
Blood contains the highest concentration of the virus, followed by semen, followed by ######l fluids, followed by breast milk.

Yeah, I know how HIV is spread.   I was just wondering if there was a special sterilization process required.   Open sores or wounds would be quite common. 

FTR

• ######l secretions
  • Breast milk

Yeah, I know how HIV is spread.   I was just wondering if there was a special sterilization process required.   Open sores or wounds would be quite common. 
Probably want to avoid having lunch with me. Walked 100 guys through showers yesterday. Did not note any open sores. Did notice 100 guys who deserve dignity.

I can only speak to how we are required, by statute, to operate here. Maybe less regulation in other cities, but I don't think a department of health is a rare local agency.

Probably want to avoid having lunch with me. Walked 100 guys through showers yesterday. Did not note any open sores. Did notice 100 guys who deserve dignity.

I can only speak to how we are required, by statute, to operate here. Maybe less regulation in other cities, but I don't think a department of health is a rare local agency.
You might not be the right man for the job if you take offense to simple questions.   

You might not be the right man for the job if you take offense to simple questions.    Tool.
:lmao:

If you think I'm offended, the internet might not be your kind of place.

PM if interested.
is this a charity you participate in? very cool idea

PM if interested.
is this a charity you participate in? very cool idea
It's a non-profit I founded. There are four or five organizations launching mobile shower trucks in NYC this year - and we need every one of them. Programs already exist in San Francisco, St Louis, Nashville, Baltimore and several cities in FL - likely more I'm unaware of, those are the ones I've been in contact with.

My friend in St Louis (http://www.showertothepeople.net/) has been up and running for five years. He's got a national vision - 20 cities by 2020 - and just secured corporate funding for New York City. Our business model is a little different but it's pretty exciting to see this come to fruition. We've been planning and praying about this for years.

(ASIDE - by yesterday I was referring to a men's shower program at the Bowery Mission, one of the places I volunteer at)

PM if interested.
Your definition of business is different than mine

PM if interested.
Your definition of business is different than mine
We're a nonprofit corporation. Our objective is for inflows to match outflows, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to have revenues exceed expenses.

In the mid-oughts I worked for a non-profit corporation that does $85M in revenue. They do altruistic things like high-altitude, high-resolution photography, manage drone bombing programs for the air force, research sonar technology (with a biomed side hustle in ultrasounds.) Host of other things that I can't talk about for 58 more years. They have zero profit. The number of employees with salaries over $200K is astonishing, and their health benefits, 403(B) + Pension, year end bonuses are off the charts. 501(c)3 non-profit.

Not suggesting anyone here is on the brink of launching something like that for $10K (they've been around for 50+ years), but non-profit doesn't mean there isn't money to be made. That sort of thing doesn't excite me at this stage of my life, but just sayin'....

had an idea to provide a perpetual service for people that can't access the cemeteries of their loved ones.

offer different packages of care/service...............deliver flowers, routine maintenance, maybe flower planting and provide photos. 

If you can get over the  :X  factor

There is a service for lice in our area. They come in a pick everything out of the kids hair, spray some product around infected areas (couches, beds) help you bag up blankets, towels etc and give a guarantee that the lice will be gone. 

Charge about $200 for an hour or so of work. 

We used their services when my kid got it, I would rather pay the money than deal with that stuff. 

No overhead, just the cost of the worker and some chemicals. 

We're a nonprofit corporation. Our objective is for inflows to match outflows, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to have revenues exceed expenses.

In the mid-oughts I worked for a non-profit corporation that does $85M in revenue. They do altruistic things like high-altitude, high-resolution photography, manage drone bombing programs for the air force, research sonar technology (with a biomed side hustle in ultrasounds.) Host of other things that I can't talk about for 58 more years. They have zero profit. The number of employees with salaries over $200K is astonishing, and their health benefits, 403(B) + Pension, year end bonuses are off the charts. 501(c)3 non-profit.

Not suggesting anyone here is on the brink of launching something like that for $10K (they've been around for 50+ years), but non-profit doesn't mean there isn't money to be made. That sort of thing doesn't excite me at this stage of my life, but just sayin'....
calm down...it was a joke. Congrats on your venture :thumbup:

calm down...it was a joke. Congrats on your venture :thumbup:
My prosaic [posting] style is the equivalent of resting ##### face. I am calm.

:lmao:

With $10K extra, I would start flipping houses until I had enough to remodel and hold as rental property.

update?  did this venture ever take off the ground?  
Yes and no. I am partnered with two other non-profits, one relatively new and the other is a mature org with a lot of resources. It’s a side gig for two the the three partner orgs so we decided to outsource the project management to the entity which had the manpower &amp; expertise to shepherd it through.

Was probably a mistake. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

We have monthly status update meetings. This is my first experience working with career non-profit professional. They operate a little differently than I am accustomed to, but I have tried to be gracious and encouraging.

Theres a lot of red tape involved dealing with NYC. They won’t allow us to hook up to fire hydrants or discharge grey water to the sewer system (this is how it’s done in at least a half dozen cities I am aware of.) We’re at a bit of an impasse. We desperately need an advocate inside infrastructure.

Its amazing to me that we have mobile clinics and mobile food pantries - which have tons more regulation - but we cannot get mobile showers resolved.

its been very frustrating from my perspective. 

Increasingly I feel like if it’s to be it’s up to me. I just don’t know that I can do this full time, it’s not self-sustainable because the focus is too narrow.

SIDE NOTE - one reason this has been successful in other cities but not NYC is the way the patchwork quilt of agencies &amp; private orgs addressing homelessness works. By law, every homeless person is guaranteed a shelter bed if they seek one. In Florida they are are criminalizing homelessness, Skid Row in L.A. looks like a third world rent city, San Francisco is overrun with street people. There is a genuine need in other cities. In New York we house 95% of the homeless (67K+ per night) and it is claimed less than 4K sleep on the streets. Most shelters have showers &amp; require their guests to bath as a condition of residency.

Man, $10k seems like an awfully small bankroll to be flipping houses with. You must have access to some pretty crazy financing options.
With just $10K, it would definitely take some credit out the gate to get much done.  However, my area has inexpensive housing and I would start off very, very small.  There are some 2/bed 1/bath type options around where a $10K investment could return $20K in a flip.

It's a non-profit I founded. There are four or five organizations launching mobile shower trucks in NYC this year - and we need every one of them. Programs already exist in San Francisco, St Louis, Nashville, Baltimore and several cities in FL - likely more I'm unaware of, those are the ones I've been in contact with.

My friend in St Louis (http://www.showertothepeople.net/) has been up and running for five years. He's got a national vision - 20 cities by 2020 - and just secured corporate funding for New York City. Our business model is a little different but it's pretty exciting to see this come to fruition. We've been planning and praying about this for years.

(ASIDE - by yesterday I was referring to a men's shower program at the Bowery Mission, one of the places I volunteer at)
Just saw this post... A girl I went to high school with is involved in something similar here in Atlanta. I don't think she runs it or anything, but she apparently does alot of work for them. Hope Thru Soap

Yes and no. I am partnered with two other non-profits, one relatively new and the other is a mature org with a lot of resources. It’s a side gig for two the the three partner orgs so we decided to outsource the project management to the entity which had the manpower &amp; expertise to shepherd it through.

We have monthly status update meetings. This is my first experience working with career non-profit professional. They operate a little differently than I am accustomed to, but I have tried to be gracious and encouraging.

Theres a lot of red tape involved dealing with NYC. They won’t allow us to hook up to fire hydrants or discharge grey water to the sewer system (this is how it’s done in at least a half dozen cities I am aware of.) We’re at a bit of an impasse. We desperately need an advocate inside infrastructure.

Its amazing to me that we have mobile clinics and mobile food pantries - which have tons more regulation - but we cannot get mobile showers resolved.

Increasingly I feel like if it’s to be it’s up to me. I just don’t know that I can do this full time, it’s not self-sustainable because the focus is too narrow.

SIDE NOTE - one reason this has been successful in other cities but not NYC is the way the patchwork quilt of agencies &amp; private orgs addressing homelessness works. By law, every homeless person is guaranteed a shelter bed if they seek one. In Florida they are are criminalizing homelessness, Skid Row in L.A. looks like a third world rent city, San Francisco is overrun with street people. There is a genuine need in other cities. In New York we house 95% of the homeless (67K+ per night) and it is claimed less than 4K sleep on the streets. Most shelters have showers &amp; require their guests to bath as a condition of residency.
Just saw this. Good luck to you in all you're doing on this. I know the red tape stuff is frustrating. Praying for wisdom and discernment for you. Knowing when to push through and knowing when to fold is always I think the toughest calls. Best to you and thanks for caring. 

there are many awesome NFPs, but that is far different from a business.  i’ve actually seen mobile low cost or free laundry machines.  if i was to go NFP i would want an org that provides $$ to people that visit pet hospitals but can’t afford the cost.  partner with the hospital to maybe provide either the funds free or a hyper low cost loan that requires the borrower to pay either 10, 25 or 50$ a month back as a way to recoup outlay.

gotcha.  good luck

I have $9,992 worth of fidget spinners left. 
No joke, I have a few hundred fidget spinner frames (without bearings) that I 3d printed before I lost interest and the fad went away.

Bobby I've felt the same thoughts on this and I work in NYC each day, just finding your post years later.  I agree totally on this being a basic foundational step to hopefully maybe assess some folks and at a bare minimum help them feel good about themselves.  I hadn't considered a truck but I was thinking about renting a room at the Hotel Pennsylvania to have access to the shower at least.  I guess its strange on the spectrum of requests to these homeless folks, hey pal  you wanna come up to my room with me.   But I don't know what else to do.  Its harder and harder to walk by the growing numbers of these people without doing something

Bobby I've felt the same thoughts on this and I work in NYC each day, just finding your post years later.  I agree totally on this being a basic foundational step to hopefully maybe assess some folks and at a bare minimum help them feel good about themselves.  I hadn't considered a truck but I was thinking about renting a room at the Hotel Pennsylvania to have access to the shower at least.  I guess its strange on the spectrum of requests to these homeless folks, hey pal  you wanna come up to my room with me.   But I don't know what else to do.  Its harder and harder to walk by the growing numbers of these people without doing something
A guy in Cleveland recently got his shower bus off the ground.  It came together through the donation of an RV.  The RV was renovated to offer a haircut, shower, and change of clothes to homeless folks.  Wonderful stuff from a guy with homeless experience himself trying to make a difference (he coordinates some other efforts besides the shower bus).  Unfortunately, I know he is struggling.  Things like vehicle insurance and fuel are really putting a drain on his effort.  Here is a brief news story about his shower bus 

Users who are viewing this thread