What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If CMC is out (for at least one game) with a reported oblique injury, who is his backup? (1 Viewer)

davidwb

Footballguy
Is it Eli Mitchell, who's just coming back from injury himself (and always seems to be injured)? Is it Jordan Mason? Someone else?

Let's get right down on that nerve quick

Elijah if healthy but Mason would also factor in

Oblique is not good
Have a bad feeling we may see CMC on and extended mid season vacation
And I do hope I'm wrong

Based on how tough Mason runs, I would expect Mason to be 1st/2nd/goalline back and Eli M to be 3rd down and 2 minute back. Just guessing.

If I am reading the game logs right, Mason has 1 career reception?
Is it that a lot of his past work has been mop up duty / running out the clock in blow outs?

I don’t want to blow my wad on a few good starts when I already have 3 Top 20 backs. But I’ll put a healthy bid on Mason just to keep the league mates honest.

(Mitchell was drafted & is rostered)

Know your league. This is the time of year teams with 4/5 losses start losing interest in working the WW. NIML but ya know…

seems a little tough to call at this point, Mitchell was coming off injury so prob got less than normal usage

I don’t want to blow my wad on a few good starts when I already have 3 Top 20 backs. But I’ll put a healthy bid on Mason just to keep the league mates honest.
Between injuries and bye weeks, I’d be happy to get a few games from a waiver pick. Still not sure how much FAAB to use. The real question is how valuable a better chance at a win or two is worth.

Between injuries and bye weeks, I’d be happy to get a few games from a waiver pick. Still not sure how much FAAB to use. The real question is how valuable a better chance at a win or two is worth.

Well if you’re middle of the pack that can mean a lot. The question to ask is how many starts? I think at this juncture you go 15-20% for every start you’ll get.

If it were a kingmaker, you don’t do percentages - you push every chip into the center.

I play in one league with open waivers, so I already picked up both. But in my other leagues, I'm reluctant to go after them too aggressively unless we hear more definitive news about a) CMC's health, b) Eli's health and c) expected usage among the backups. (On that last point, I wouldn't hold your breath. Shanny is notorious for playing the hot hand, as anyone who remembers the Great Mitchell/Trey Sermon dilemma from Week 1 2021 can attest).

Don't forget as well that they play on Monday night next week, so news may be slower dribbling out

Who is the waterboy? Shanahan will go back to his usual ways and ditch the other RBs and go with him next week.

-QG

I’m putting in a bid for Mason AND CMC is playing Monday night so if he’s a late scratch, that’s a problem if I’m waiting to find out. I need a second option playing Monday.

IF I RECALL ACCURATELY .... Big "IF", 2022 preseason Shanny was making strong statements on Jordan Mason making a difficult decision on who to keep at RB and concerned if they tried to put Mason on PS, he would get picked off and they would lose him all together. So he made the 53 man roster over other RBs & SF cut Trey Sermon (2021 3rd round pick)
In Dec 2022, Shanahan said "his time will come"
Then again, Shanny "has solid confidence in Mason"

I think UDFA Jordan Mason (out of Georgia Tech) was RB Duo with some kid named Jahmyr Gibbs (as a Soph) so he held his own (as a Junior)

IF I RECALL ACCURATELY .... Big "IF", 2022 preseason Shanny was making strong statements on Jordan Mason making a difficult decision on who to keep at RB and concerned if they tried to put Mason on PS, he would get picked off and they would lose him all together. So he made the 53 man roster over other RBs & SF cut Trey Sermon (2021 3rd round pick)
In Dec 2022, Shanahan said "his time will come"
Then again, Shanny "has solid confidence in Mason"

I think UDFA Jordan Mason (out of Georgia Tech) was RB Duo with some kid named Jahmyr Gibbs (as a Soph) so he held his own (as a Junior)
We should definitely base our roster decisions on things Kyle Shanahan has said about different players

We should definitely base our roster decisions on things Kyle Shanahan has said about different players
While I admit, Shanny is notorious for "Coach Speak" misinformation, he does not often praise unknown RB. He typically saves accolades for High Draft value players.

How much FAAB are C-Mac owners spending on Mason?

Since I have CMC, I’m bidding a paltry $3/$100 as I’m betting there won’t be a big interest in him and whatever interest might go for Mitchell instead. The backup for CMC has the most value for those that rostered CMC and the oblique injury doesn’t look like extended time will be missed.

I am a CMC owner who also has Mitchell, who I thought would be the handcuff assuming healthy. Now I am debating what to do. Mason is available, although he may never make it to my spot in the waiver priority list. But if he does, do I try to create room for 2 handcuffs? Not sure that is a luxury I can afford. My hope is that Mitchell is just being eased back in, but Mason has probably shown enough in his opportunities to earn a piece of the pie regardless of who is the "starter". I am now thinking neither are going to offer great value as it will be impossible to know which to play.

I have #1 ww priority. Who am I wasting it on?
No One unless you are deperate foe rb help. In that case I would say Mason. I dont expect CMC to be out long though so Im a wait for a better opportunity guy. Im glad our league went to faab because too often I would sit at the top missing out on all the good pickups weekly. In the last couple of years I didnt intentionally stay at the top of the WW and had much better WW usage just by fluctuating from the bottom of the list to the middle.

Lombardi:

If Christian McCaffrey can't go on Monday night (that is very much TBD as he's undergoing an MRI right now), it'll be hard to predict the 49ers' RB order. Shanahan said that Elijah Mitchell has "earned a ton" with SF given his good play when healthy, and he's healthy now. Shanahan also said that the 49ers can't discount how well Jordan Mason is running.

Barrows:

Kyle Shanahan praised Jordan Mason's play on Sunday. But it sounded that Elijah Mitchell, not Mason, would be in the lead role should Christian McCaffrey miss Monday's game. #fantasy

Users who are viewing this thread