What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need help losing weight and getting back in shape (1 Viewer)

What kind of yoga do you do? I'd like to more flexibility stuff on my off days, and keep stretching. And I'm champing at the bit to go full-bore into strength training, but Paul Wade talks about "milking the system" and putting strength in the bank to get max results, which means I am starting out at only 2 workout days for Phase I.

He also talked about something I never thought of, or even knew about before, but makes so much sense kinesiology-wise. You need to give all those little accessory muscles time to adjust to higher loads, and especially give tendons and ligaments a chance to strengthen up to the level of muscle, which has way more explosive growth. Why so many times lifting we get shoulder tweaks or elbow and wrist injuries.
I agree on taking it slow with the weights, the last thing you want is an injury as it will derail everything and can cost you all your progress as you recover and can't exercise.

My wife does those Beach Body routines and there is a yoga video that I sometimes do at home. There's a local yoga studio I sometimes go to. This lady has a series of yoga videos. Youtube is full of yoga videos for beginners or for back pain, etc. The women leading them are usually pretty easy on the eyes so that is a bonus. 

I agree on taking it slow with the weights, the last thing you want is an injury as it will derail everything and can cost you all your progress as you recover and can't exercise.

My wife does those Beach Body routines and there is a yoga video that I sometimes do at home. There's a local yoga studio I sometimes go to. This lady has a series of yoga videos. Youtube is full of yoga videos for beginners or for back pain, etc. The women leading them are usually pretty easy on the eyes so that is a bonus. 
:tup: thanks! I'm already a huge fan of the pants.

Sounds like TigerFan and some others may be in on this.  Perhaps time to start an OFFICIAL spinoff thread....

1. Download MyFitness App, lots of posts in this thread and tons online with major benefits. Don't be anti-tech dude on this, just incorporate it for a while in your routine, it will pay off big time. 

2. 86 sugar/cocaine, get rid of as much if it as you can. Fruit is perfectly fine and I won't even listen to folks who start mumbling crap about eating apples or bananas at night...yeah you shouldn't eat past 7pm ideally but things happen and it's a lot better to break the glass on a banana then it is half a quart of Haagan Daaz. If you get rid of sugar you will not be drinking sodas and the like so I don't need to list h2o and green tea, you will have to drink them after you get rid of all sugar and the real Grim Reaper known as HFCS or high fructose corn syrup, get that crap out of your food. If you must eat something sweet then please have a little of the really good stuff, the white powder. 

Sugar also impacts your moods and emotions, the way you react and respond to people and events/situations. For me, it's the total Jeckyl/Hyde in my personality. When you cut out a lot of sugar you will almost certainly drop weight with or without exercise but my almost daily walks do speed up the process and that brings me to the last of 3 basics you can do that will change your life. 

3. Walking...you can insert biking, swimming, golf, tennis, running, gym activities, pick something you think you might enjoy but some physical activity 3-4 times a week will make a HUGE difference. Think of where you will be in 10 years if you don't bite down right now and get a little more active. I am not the poster boy for physical activity, as Jim Gaffigan says "I'm what you call in-doorsy" But 30 minutes a day of even light physical activity makes a huge difference. You are going to have gaffes along the way and walking will counteract a lot of it. My results are not an accident and I walk almost everyday so to act like that hasn't had a big hand in the weight loss is naive. 

2 out of 3 here involve very little physical exertion, the 3rd is just asking for some daily stretching to keep your blood flowing more than anything so you can think. If anyone were suffering from mental illness, these 3 steps might be the first course of action I would recommend as a Psychologist, in fact when I went to get some help the doctor told me I could take a pill/drug or I could work on my diet first. Diet in the sense of daily eating habits more so then the weight loss although that will happen if you are overweight and choose to do this. That doctor could not have been more clear and he flat out told me most folks choose the pill/drug rather than make wholesale lifestyle changes. 

I haven't weighed in this week but I can tell visually I lost a couple more, gonna wait till June for some delayed gratification but again i just want to thank this community for support, very lucky to have this place as a sounding board. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sifu.  :bow:

Read the first 2 and the 3rd will be delivered this week. Did my first workout today at the park with my son. Sore as hell, but my back (which I hurt lifting a 400 lb. patient using horrible body mechanics five years ago) feels better already from doing squats.

Both books were excellent, but I like the more in-depth, regimented approach of Convict Conditioning. More guidance for someone just starting out- more feedback on performance benchmarks to clear before moving to the next level. I was tempted to start at regular push-ups and squats, since I thought I could handle them, skipping the first couple steps, but decided against it after reading Convict Conditioning. Glad I did. Paul Wade is a brilliant guy. And both books were total page turners and ultra-motivational.

if I ever meet you in real life, you will not pay for a drink, or a meal. Seriously, thank you for the stellar recommendations.
How much did you pay for convict conditioning? All I'm seeing it available for is like $35.00, which seems like a lot to me.

ETA: Potato question - do you ever eat them raw? Is it bad to eat a potato raw? When I was a kid and mom was making potatoes (e.g. mashed) for dinner I'd steal like half a peeled potato and eat it raw. 

Yea I love the app, has worked wonders, I still have a decent meal every once in a while of something I know I don't necessarily need. For example went to Outback and had a Outback Special with mashed potatos (no butter or bacon just chives) and it was great. But mostly its been chicken, chicken and more chicken. I still drink fairly heavily once or twice a week, but i tend to only eat lunch on those days lol, I am somewhat lucky that alcohol curbs my appetite so I dont drunken eat crap. Subway (yes I know high sodium but whatever) has been huge to help me while at work and needing something low calories for lunch.

It's been 41 days, I am down from almost 299 this morning I was 267. Pretty happy and I still have not introduced anything routine in the way of cardio. I only average 5000 steps a day at work but am still dropping the pounds, I plan on introducing 10,000 steps a day at the gym in the near future, but I have no complaints so far for sure!

Instinctive said:
How much did you pay for convict conditioning? All I'm seeing it available for is like $35.00, which seems like a lot to me.

ETA: Potato question - do you ever eat them raw? Is it bad to eat a potato raw? When I was a kid and mom was making potatoes (e.g. mashed) for dinner I'd steal like half a peeled potato and eat it raw. 
Yeah, I saw that. Some rare bookseller has a copy for way too much. I bought the kindle version of it on Amazon, was like $9.98. At first, I wanted an old school paperback that I could dog ear and bring with me, but the eversion is good. The book is awesome, just put out by a smaller publisher so the printing run was probably small.

i have never eaten them raw, but some people swear by them. I have read that you get maximum Resistant Starch from eating them raw. :shrugs: I like potatoes, and am starting to wonder if I should get a big spud tattoo on my belly, but I don't think I'd ever eat them raw.

If you juice them, the raw juice is supposed to be very good for you (but not tasty, so best to mix with orange or some other juice).

I am guessing this had been brought up in this thread before but I am on day 17 of the advocare 24 day challenge.  Everything I ever heard about advocare was bad, but my gf has a friend who previously sold it and let her just use her login and get whatever she wanted.  This has actually worked great for me.  Started at 223 lbs on the morning of May 2nd, was 206.5 today. (im 6'3).  I may have worked out a little extra over this time, but I am pretty active as it is.   Pants fit better, I feel great, etc.  Sure, I think you can do this yourself and find substitutions for cheaper, but for me its just easy to follow their plan.  Its helping me form good habits that I intend to keep going forward.  We will see if that works out, but for the time being im a big believer. As a lot of said in this thread, not everything will work for everyone, but this has worked for me.

Checked out the videos... he talks in kilos (and 22 kilos is more like 50 pounds). 

I'm not sure why people need a gimmick.  The bottom line is that he is taking in less calories with this diet.  You could take in less calories eating a more diverse diet and couple with some exercise and plenty of H2O.

Dieting isn't easy.  The deprivation aspect, likely greater on a one food concept, can led to binge eating once the "diet" period is over.  As Ministry says above, you change your life style.   It's actually a fun challenge to seek out nutritious (and possible new to you) foods.

True story.  I was in the grocery store yesterday evening and the meat cutter was trying to choose between potato chips (BBQ or Salt & Vinegar).  He looked at me and said "I haven't eaten all day".  I replied "That's not food".  He looked at me like I was an A**hole.  In that regard, he was probably right.

If you juice them, the raw juice is supposed to be very good for you (but not tasty, so best to mix with orange or some other juice).
Never juiced potatoes but do juice other fruits & vegetables.  The strength of concentrated beet juice is insane; you have to drink small amounts or you will feel sick.  Anyway, the juices are good but the process is messy and I'm amazed by the quantity of stuff you throw away, which seems like fiber or something that could benefit the digestive system.

I think I'd just as soon go raw vegetables than the full juicing process.

Yea I love the app, has worked wonders, I still have a decent meal every once in a while of something I know I don't necessarily need. For example went to Outback and had a Outback Special with mashed potatos (no butter or bacon just chives) and it was great. But mostly its been chicken, chicken and more chicken. I still drink fairly heavily once or twice a week, but i tend to only eat lunch on those days lol, I am somewhat lucky that alcohol curbs my appetite so I dont drunken eat crap. Subway (yes I know high sodium but whatever) has been huge to help me while at work and needing something low calories for lunch.
I still eat at restaurants, I just immediately split the portion in half and save half for tomorrow's lunch.

I'm fatter than ever, I'm on pre-diabetic meds and last night I put myself to sleep with the positive affirmations "I don't put anything unhealthy in my body. I am successful. I list more homes than anyone in my town. I sell more homes than anyone in my town. I run the most successful real estate office in my town". Seems to be helping. Haven't eaten yet today. Just made a pot of coffee. LOL. All of that is true, on a serious note, it continues to be a major struggle. Tons of things to blame it on but in the end I need to find a way to make it be important to me. Every time there's a life "changing" event I always think NOW I NEED TO GET SERIOUS. Had my first grandchild in October.............it's hard. Not sure what else to say. I love life more than I should unfortunately. Can't remember what I was when I started this thread, I'll have to go back and look. Sitting a smidge above 260 right now.

I'm fatter than ever, I'm on pre-diabetic meds and last night I put myself to sleep with the positive affirmations "I don't put anything unhealthy in my body. I am successful. I list more homes than anyone in my town. I sell more homes than anyone in my town. I run the most successful real estate office in my town". Seems to be helping. Haven't eaten yet today. Just made a pot of coffee. LOL. All of that is true, on a serious note, it continues to be a major struggle. Tons of things to blame it on but in the end I need to find a way to make it be important to me. Every time there's a life "changing" event I always think NOW I NEED TO GET SERIOUS. Had my first grandchild in October.............it's hard. Not sure what else to say. I love life more than I should unfortunately. Can't remember what I was when I started this thread, I'll have to go back and look. Sitting a smidge above 260 right now.
Hang in there man. It really is a life style change. You really need the entire support of everyone that lives in your home. The right choices to eat must always be available in your house. While you are at work, in the car etc., I strongly suggest listening to nothing but health related podcasts. From Keto, to vegetarian, whatever path you want to take, go all in. Listening to people talk about food/health/exerciese  while you are alone is a great support system and will help deter you from making the wrong food choice when you feel the urge to eat. 

My overly simplistic attitude when people want to lose weight but do nothing is: they aren't pi$$ed off about it enough.

True motivation (just from my perspective) comes when I am angry looking in the mirror. 

If someone is overall pretty happy with everything, it's pretty easy being fat in this country.

Drink your vegetables, fiber and all.

(get the wildside jar though)

You know you need to make changes. Acknowledge that it's going to be tough at first but keep reminding yourself of the payoff. The payoff will be far greater than the transition. I've said this before, eating bad and eating great are both addictive. You just need to flip the switch. Once you're eating great for awhile you'll automatically want to keep doing it. Just do it!

Drink your vegetables, fiber and all.

(get the wildside jar though)

You know you need to make changes. Acknowledge that it's going to be tough at first but keep reminding yourself of the payoff. The payoff will be far greater than the transition. I've said this before, eating bad and eating great are both addictive. You just need to flip the switch. Once you're eating great for awhile you'll automatically want to keep doing it. Just do it!
This. For me it's to the point I want to eat foods that are easy to digest. Whole vs processed. Less red meat. Then I cut out white flour and added sugar. I did that for 3 months and internally and externally saw great results. Not as religious about it now but it's still the rule vs exception. 

Need to see results to stay motivated, if you don't work out, it takes too long, and you'll eventually get out of that recliner, and eat more garbage.

Need to see results to stay motivated, if you don't work out, it takes too long, and you'll eventually get out of that recliner, and eat more garbage.
I lost almost 150 lbs, didn't work out at all and did it in a little over a year. I have maintained my weight loss for three years now and the only exercise I do are push-ups each morning. For me, eating a high quantity of organic vegetables, very little sugar other than some fruit sugar and eating as much high quality organic proteins as I want has done wonders. 

If you want a super muscular look like out of a magazine then yes, get your ### to the gym. Other wise, doing some push-ups, squats or burpees each day AFTER the weight loss is fine. 

I lost almost 150 lbs, didn't work out at all and did it in a little over a year. I have maintained my weight loss for three years now and the only exercise I do are push-ups each morning. For me, eating a high quantity of organic vegetables, very little sugar other than some fruit sugar and eating as much high quality organic proteins as I want has done wonders. 

If you want a super muscular look like out of a magazine then yes, get your ### to the gym. Other wise, doing some push-ups, squats or burpees each day AFTER the weight loss is fine. 
Losing weight is burning more calories than you take in. For a lot of people, seeing gains is a massive motivator.

Exercise speeds up the process. 

Can you lose weight without exercise?  Sure. It takes longer, and you're less healthy, but sure.

massraider said:
My overly simplistic attitude when people want to lose weight but do nothing is: they aren't pi$$ed off about it enough.

True motivation (just from my perspective) comes when I am angry looking in the mirror. 

If someone is overall pretty happy with everything, it's pretty easy being fat in this country.
I'm going through a "crisis of confidence", mostly work-related with some things going on. A couple of days ago I was mentally picturing how I defined success, and it did all come back to the weight. Even in my young 30's I was extremely confident, consistently pulled females that most would consider far out-kicking my coverage, and was killing it business wise. I think if you aren't confident in yourself, it affects everything. I have no need on the female end anymore because now I'm happily married. But there is still a high you get when you know you are noticed, and it was never rock hard body for me, it was always just the ability to command the room and be confident. It's all a big ####### circle, and not the good kind.

I'm going through a "crisis of confidence", mostly work-related with some things going on. A couple of days ago I was mentally picturing how I defined success, and it did all come back to the weight. Even in my young 30's I was extremely confident, consistently pulled females that most would consider far out-kicking my coverage, and was killing it business wise. I think if you aren't confident in yourself, it affects everything. I have no need on the female end anymore because now I'm happily married. But there is still a high you get when you know you are noticed, and it was never rock hard body for me, it was always just the ability to command the room and be confident. It's all a big ####### circle, and not the good kind.
What makes you sweat, that you enjoy? (Aside from sex)

For me, it's ripping my bike through NYC with my ear buds rocking my Spotify.

It doesn't feel like work, it's fun.

Losing weight is burning more calories than you take in. For a lot of people, seeing gains is a massive motivator.

Exercise speeds up the process. 

Can you lose weight without exercise?  Sure. It takes longer, and you're less healthy, but sure.
I can assure you I had massive gains (or loses depending on how you are looking at it) and saw incredible results without exercising. I have currently watched several friends and family members lose fat rather easily with little to no exercise at all by eating in a similar way to myself. 

As for exercise speeding up the process, it can actually make it slower. Exercise for heavy people is extremely difficult and can be frustrating. This then can causes mental issues that lead the person right to food to self medicate their feelings. Losing weight is far more mental than physical and the possibilities of  exercise failure are extremely high. 

I can assure you I had massive gains (or loses depending on how you are looking at it) and saw incredible results without exercising. I have currently watched several friends and family members lose fat rather easily with little to no exercise at all by eating in a similar way to myself. 

As for exercise speeding up the process, it can actually make it slower. Exercise for heavy people is extremely difficult and can be frustrating. This then can causes mental issues that lead the person right to food to self medicate their feelings. Losing weight is far more mental than physical and the possibilities of  exercise failure are extremely high. 
People getting frustrated doesn't mean exercise slows weight loss. 

Your point is fine and valid. People can get frustrated or discouraged and pack it in.

From a physiological standpoint, two people who eat the exact same thing, the one who exercises loses weight faster.

And while you are dismissing exercise because people might get frustrated, people who exercise and see gains faster can be more motivated.

Don't freaking recommend someone to NOT exercise, for Pete's sake. It's bad advice, and flies in the face of all known nutritional info we have.

Brisk walk for 10 minutes. Start there. You don't have to have to be Jack Lalanne right away. Do that for a few weeks and gradually build from there.

People getting frustrated doesn't mean exercise slows weight loss. 

Your point is fine and valid. People can get frustrated or discouraged and pack it in.

From a physiological standpoint, two people who eat the exact same thing, the one who exercises loses weight faster.

And while you are dismissing exercise because people might get frustrated, people who exercise and see gains faster can be more motivated.

Don't freaking recommend someone to NOT exercise, for Pete's sake. It's bad advice, and flies in the face of all known nutritional info we have.
The bolded is very naive and wrong. Hormones, ability to process blood sugar, insulin sensitivity and a host of metabolic factors have tremendous impact. You are spouting 1950s level understanding with 'calories-in and calories-out and exercise is about burning calories' paradigm. 

Amd yes exercise CAN be DETRIMENTAL to long term weight control. Cardio mixed with caloric restriction can destroy your resting metabolism. 

gussy said:
You were 261.

The bolded is very naive and wrong. Hormones, ability to process blood sugar, insulin sensitivity and a host of metabolic factors have tremendous impact. You are spouting 1950s level understanding with 'calories-in and calories-out and exercise is about burning calories' paradigm. 

Amd yes exercise CAN be DETRIMENTAL to long term weight control. Cardio mixed with caloric restriction can destroy your resting metabolism. 
You're right it's not as simple as my post might have made it seem. 

I'm going to leave this alone now, because I can't believe anyone needs to argue that exercise helps weight loss.

You're right it's not as simple as my post might have made it seem. 

I'm going to leave this alone now, because I can't believe anyone needs to argue that exercise helps weight loss.
It can and should. If it's the right exercise. For the right situation. 

Quick Weight Loss is a chain of diet centers in Houston (and maybe other places) that has a really good diet program. About 6 years ago I used them and lost 50 pounds. Of course I didn't stick to a good diet after I lost the weight so over time I put all the weight back on. I just started back with them and have lost about 23 pounds in a month. In conjunction with the diet I am getting testerone injections which gives me energy to do cardio work, mainly walking and light jogging. I feel great and am committed to losing the weight and then sticking to a healthy diet once I have lost the weight. The Quick Weight Loss program is not cheap as I am paying them about $3,000 for 4 months of supplements, snacks, and counselling in which time I should lose the 63 pound goal that I have. I will save on food and alcohol costs over that 4 months so I will probably be out about $1,500 to $2,000.

dhockster said:
Quick Weight Loss is a chain of diet centers in Houston (and maybe other places) that has a really good diet program. About 6 years ago I used them and lost 50 pounds. Of course I didn't stick to a good diet after I lost the weight so over time I put all the weight back on. I just started back with them and have lost about 23 pounds in a month. In conjunction with the diet I am getting testerone injections which gives me energy to do cardio work, mainly walking and light jogging. I feel great and am committed to losing the weight and then sticking to a healthy diet once I have lost the weight. The Quick Weight Loss program is not cheap as I am paying them about $3,000 for 4 months of supplements, snacks, and counselling in which time I should lose the 63 pound goal that I have. I will save on food and alcohol costs over that 4 months so I will probably be out about $1,500 to $2,000.
How are you going to regulate yourself after the 4 months?  Calories?  Cutting out alcohol?

How are you going to regulate yourself after the 4 months?  Calories?  Cutting out alcohol?
Probably stay on a lower calorie healthy diet. I also probably will significantly reduce my alcohol intake as I am really not missing it. I also plan to engage in regular exercise, which I have enjoyed getting back to during the diet. The QWL diet basically gives you 2 proteins a day, 2 fruits, 2 starches, and 4 vegetables along with their snacks. I think sticking close to that formula on most days will help me maintain my weight, once I have lost the weight I want to. 

@gussy How’s it going?
Funny you asked AZ RON, I kind of had forgotten about this thread. It's going....................OK. Surprisingly. I had to go back to read the original post to see how much of a train wreck I was. I'm still a train wreck, but it's getting much better. When I started this thread I had mentioned I wanted to be alive for my grandchildren, and about a month after I posted my son and his girlfriend got pregnant and I have a beautiful granddaughter who will be two in October who I absolutely adore. I addressed my sleep apnea by having major reconstructive surgery on my nasal cavities and soft palate about 15 months ago. It was brutally painful and had me basically out of commission for around a month but it was a life saver. Literally. I had my uvula essentially lopped off, a #### ton of my soft palate scraped away to open my airways, had my nose fixed and 4 of my 6 sinus cavities scraped and cleaned out. I no longer have apnea and I sleep better than I remember and no CPAP. I used to fall asleep in front of a game in my recliner almost every day. I haven't even done it once since the surgery. The diet has continued to be a struggle but about 6 weeks ago I discovered the "loseit" ap and started tracking everything I ate and counting calories. I weighted in at 263 when I started with a goal of losing a pound a week with an end goal of getting to 190. I've lost 8lbs in 6 weeks, but most importantly I really think for the first time in a long time I understand what I can and can't eat (and drink), it's not a hard diet for me to be on, and I really think it's more of a lifestyle change which I can do. I'm still able to eat everything I want, I just have to limit my portions. I can have 2 pieces of pizza, just not a half pizza. Some days I can have a DQ Blizzard, but just a mini. I've cut a ton of carbs, skipping bun/bread whenever possible. I've cut my drinking dramatically. I've figured out that vodka makes me hungry and beer fills me up, so, despite the fact I much prefer cocktails, I really try to stick with beer. I know I can drink twice as many Select 55' as Bud Lights, and when it's 100 degrees out and I'm golfing, I'm ok with that. We had our member guest a couple of weeks ago and my in-laws had a 4 day 50th anniversary shindig and I knew I wasn't going to behave, but it was fine. I've been maintaining 255 the last couple of weeks and now I have no big "things" coming up that will make it harder for me. I've got a  long way to go, but I'm optimistic. Taking care of the sleep apnea was an important first step. I know on golf league nights I better do a protein bar and a light lunch if I'm planning on drinking much at league. It's a start.

Checking in for suggestions on supplements recommended for mid age dudes trying to get back to the gym and trim some lbs......have used the NOxplode in the past. Is that safe.....what’s best safe supplements for some extra energy?

Checking in for suggestions on supplements recommended for mid age dudes trying to get back to the gym and trim some lbs......have used the NOxplode in the past. Is that safe.....what’s best safe supplements for some extra energy?
black coffee

So, I am wrong side of 50 and hit 191 12/2017.  I didn't feel heavy or look heavy, but I was.  Spoke with wife and decided to make some changes to diet and lifestyle, basically, eating changes.  Yesterday, I weighed in at 161.9 lbs.  What I did is not crazy, but it takes willpower and desire;

-Breakfast is a small fruit, think banana.  Coffee is fine.

-Skip lunch, I can do it.  If not, fruit again.  Small salad, limit dressing and add ins.

-Dinner is about portion control and time of meal.  I eat no later than 6.30p and nothing after 8p.  Maybe a small chicken breast, baked, use a hot sauce if needed like Frank's.  Side can be a dry baked potato, maybe butternut squash.  Even a small side salad and no side dish.  Its about desire.

-Get out and walk.  Start with 1/2 mile.  Build up to 1 mile.  If you feel up to it, get to 2 miles.

-Yoga, especially hot yoga, is a great add on.

-No added white sugar!!!!  Are you a snacker?  Eat a fruit.  Grab a pretzel.  Avoid those little apple bites and cookies and cakes.

-Avoid alcohol.  At least for first 2 months.

In 2 months, I took off about 20 pounds.  I cheat every so often, will grab a Saturday burger now and again, even fries.  But you have your foundation to go back to.  At first, cheating should be infrequent to nil.  After you get the weight off, you can have a glass of wine, something dirty.  But, if you cheat, be especially good the next few days to make sure the loss sticks.  Stay active.  Walk the dog more.  Eliminate soda.  Drink iced tea.  Drink water.  I find now my ability to overeat is gone, due to portion control and meal size.  I'd rather a smaller meal, so I can eat a fruit or 2 and larger salad. 

So, I am wrong side of 50 and hit 191 12/2017.  I didn't feel heavy or look heavy, but I was.  Spoke with wife and decided to make some changes to diet and lifestyle, basically, eating changes.  Yesterday, I weighed in at 161.9 lbs.  What I did is not crazy, but it takes willpower and desire;

-Breakfast is a small fruit, think banana.  Coffee is fine.

-Skip lunch, I can do it.  If not, fruit again.  Small salad, limit dressing and add ins.

-Dinner is about portion control and time of meal.  I eat no later than 6.30p and nothing after 8p.  Maybe a small chicken breast, baked, use a hot sauce if needed like Frank's.  Side can be a dry baked potato, maybe butternut squash.  Even a small side salad and no side dish.  Its about desire.

-Get out and walk.  Start with 1/2 mile.  Build up to 1 mile.  If you feel up to it, get to 2 miles.

-Yoga, especially hot yoga, is a great add on.

-No added white sugar!!!!  Are you a snacker?  Eat a fruit.  Grab a pretzel.  Avoid those little apple bites and cookies and cakes.

-Avoid alcohol.  At least for first 2 months.

In 2 months, I took off about 20 pounds.  I cheat every so often, will grab a Saturday burger now and again, even fries.  But you have your foundation to go back to.  At first, cheating should be infrequent to nil.  After you get the weight off, you can have a glass of wine, something dirty.  But, if you cheat, be especially good the next few days to make sure the loss sticks.  Stay active.  Walk the dog more.  Eliminate soda.  Drink iced tea.  Drink water.  I find now my ability to overeat is gone, due to portion control and meal size.  I'd rather a smaller meal, so I can eat a fruit or 2 and larger salad. 
There is no magic pill.

Diet and exercise.

Nothing new. It works. 

I am 48 years old now.....(jeez). And I like to eat. However I portion control. Pretty simple. I eat cold ceral with fresh berries every morning with a cup of coffee. Been this way for years upon years.

Lunch...simple turkey sandwich, a few wheat thins or triscuits with it. I also will have a 2PM snack with either strawberries, apple, orange or nectarine or plum. When I eat out for business, grilled chicken, a lean steak. Sometimes I indulge....nothing wrong with that as long as it is not every day.

Dinners are normal portions.

The wife and I indulge twice a week eating out, but still again portion control. We take home leftovers all the time..

As far as exercise I work out 30 minutes 4 days a week, plus I coach two baseball teams and probably hit over 500 balls a week of fungo and pitch 200-300 pitches in BP. I walk my Standard Poodle 2 miles a day every day.

I am 5'10' and 187 lbs (I am a large frame not a scrawny guy) feel great and my levels are really good. I do take fish oil and niacen to control my levels though as well.

Users who are viewing this thread