What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I Can't Respect The Cardinals (1 Viewer)

Neil Beaufort Zod

Footballguy
I like a lot of their players, I've enjoyed watching them in the playoffs and I'll be rooting for them to claim their first ring. But if they lose, they're just another team that had a nice little run in the playoffs and came up short-- Like the '94 Chargers or '98 Falcons. I can respect the nice ride but they're not going to be a team I'll think much of in 2009 or even 2008 except that they became the SB loser.

Maybe that's unfair, but the team's pathetic history and mediocre regular season can't be undone by three (albeit impressive) playoff wins. If they win the last game, I take back all of that. You can't help but respect a Super Bowl winner. You can undo years of futility with a championship. I saw Tampa Bay do it, and now the Cardinals can do it themselves in that very city.

But for me, I can't grant them much respect "win or lose." I don't have any confidence that they'll ever get there again. So really they need to win. Not that Az fans care what I think, but this team needs to win against Pittsburgh to earn national respect. :goodposting:

Like the '94 Chargers or '98 Falcons.
Huh? How does this team get lumped in this category? They went 19-13 the two years prior to their SB appearance and posted another winning season just after it. Heck, they were the last team to lose a regular season game that year and were the #2 seed in the AFC. The 2003 Panthers had losing records on either side of their SB appearance. So did the 2000 Giants.

Like the '94 Chargers or '98 Falcons.
Huh? How does this team get lumped in this category? They went 19-13 the two years prior to their SB appearance and posted another winning season just after it. Heck, they were the last team to lose a regular season game that year and were the #2 seed in the AFC. The 2003 Panthers had losing records on either side of their SB appearance. So did the 2000 Giants.
How about the Pats winning the SB in 2001.They were a joke up until that point, and they've

been dominant ever since.

the '98 Falcons were 14-2!
They were a complete fluke, an anomaly. That was their only winning season in a five year span. The Rams posted 10 or more wins per season seven out of eight years during their span. That was a legitimate team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like a lot of their players, I've enjoyed watching them in the playoffs and I'll be rooting for them to claim their first ring. But if they lose, they're just another team that had a nice little run in the playoffs and came up short-- Like the '94 Chargers or '98 Falcons. I can respect the nice ride but they're not going to be a team I'll think much of in 2009 or even 2008 except that they became the SB loser.Maybe that's unfair, but the team's pathetic history and mediocre regular season can't be undone by three (albeit impressive) playoff wins. If they win the last game, I take back all of that. You can't help but respect a Super Bowl winner. You can undo years of futility with a championship. I saw Tampa Bay do it, and now the Cardinals can do it themselves in that very city. But for me, I can't grant them much respect "win or lose." I don't have any confidence that they'll ever get there again. So really they need to win. Not that Az fans care what I think, but this team needs to win against Pittsburgh to earn national respect. :popcorn:
As a Cardinal fan, I completely respect this opinion. Win or lose, I am happy with the season, but 1 good year out of 20 years in the valley is no reason for blindly supporting this ownership. They need to make a strong FINANCIAL commitment to the the tallented players and coaches that got them here, and prove they can do it with some consistency. This off season will be a telling one for the franchise, and I think they will step up to the plate.All that said, the NFC Championship game at U of P Stadium was absolutely incredible, and I hope like hell we can pull off the upset in the Big Game.

I like a lot of their players, I've enjoyed watching them in the playoffs and I'll be rooting for them to claim their first ring. But if they lose, they're just another team that had a nice little run in the playoffs and came up short-- Like the '94 Chargers or '98 Falcons. I can respect the nice ride but they're not going to be a team I'll think much of in 2009 or even 2008 except that they became the SB loser.Maybe that's unfair, but the team's pathetic history and mediocre regular season can't be undone by three (albeit impressive) playoff wins. If they win the last game, I take back all of that. You can't help but respect a Super Bowl winner. You can undo years of futility with a championship. I saw Tampa Bay do it, and now the Cardinals can do it themselves in that very city. But for me, I can't grant them much respect "win or lose." I don't have any confidence that they'll ever get there again. So really they need to win. Not that Az fans care what I think, but this team needs to win against Pittsburgh to earn national respect. :popcorn:
Not so sure they need your respect.

i also agree with your sentiments. i'm sure everybody would agree that their run is flukish, and they aren't the best team in the NFL, but if they win the superbowl, none of that matters. they are the superbowl champions and their run is validated. if they come up short in tampa, then they were just a fluke, period.

i dont think winning or losing affects their future positively or negatively. they are still likely the best team in a putrid division by default. this isn't college...you don't get more recruits by getting to the bowl.

i'll be rooting for them hardcore. i think it would be cool as hell if they pulled off the unthinkable and brought it home, and i think if warner wins it then retires, he'll have had just about the coolest career in sports history.

They were a complete fluke, an anomaly. That was their only winning season in a five year span. The Rams posted 10 or more wins per season seven out of eight years during their span. That was a legitimate team.
I agree, the Rams had some pretty solid teams in the 70's. They had pretty fierce competion in the playoffs with the likes of the Cowboys and Vikings. The Rams were not a flash in the pan.

I don't need to worry about their franchise history. Perhaps I have a different take, since my franchise is one not so different, but I look at teams as THIS YEAR'S team. In this age of free agency, I don't see how you can't. Arizona limped into the playoffs, no doubt, but they played really damn good football against three good teams and won, and they won with no controversy, in my mind. That's enough to earn my respect for THIS TEAM, without dragging 50 years of history into it, that has little or nothing to do with the individuals who make up this particular team.

I like a lot of their players, I've enjoyed watching them in the playoffs and I'll be rooting for them to claim their first ring. But if they lose, they're just another team that had a nice little run in the playoffs and came up short-- Like the '94 Chargers or '98 Falcons. I can respect the nice ride but they're not going to be a team I'll think much of in 2009 or even 2008 except that they became the SB loser.Maybe that's unfair, but the team's pathetic history and mediocre regular season can't be undone by three (albeit impressive) playoff wins. If they win the last game, I take back all of that. You can't help but respect a Super Bowl winner. You can undo years of futility with a championship. I saw Tampa Bay do it, and now the Cardinals can do it themselves in that very city. But for me, I can't grant them much respect "win or lose." I don't have any confidence that they'll ever get there again. So really they need to win. Not that Az fans care what I think, but this team needs to win against Pittsburgh to earn national respect. :thumbup:
Not sure where you are going with this but, I honestly do not think the Cardinals would want it any other way. I think the fact that you took the time to post this already shows they have more respect. But all-in-all, although I made a big deal about AZ getting respect after the ATL game, and it frankly doesn't matter. I was caught up in the moment and realized that this 'respect' thing is getting way over-blown, and regardless of respect or not a championship ring is a champsionship ring despite everything else.

I honestly do not think the Cardinals would want it any other way.
You may need to explain this. The Cardinals wouldn't want a long-standing history of winning traditions?
I was referring more to a this year point of view. They have been playing the 'no-respect' card through the whole playoffs and it is obviously doing something for them. Why would they want anything different now?Now obviously in the long term view, they don't want people to think of their horrendous past but I also believe that they understand that the odds of people forgetting it is probably going to take more than one year of winnning.

As a Lions fan I can only dream of being disrespected all the way to a Super Bowl.
Seriously.Even if the Cardinals should lose, and that's not a given, they are in the big game with Pittsburgh while the other 30 teams aren't. Scoreboard.

If they lose in the Super Bowl, they won't return to the playoffs next year.

Sorry, dems da rulez.

As a Lions fan I can only dream of being disrespected all the way to a Super Bowl.
Seriously.Even if the Cardinals should lose, and that's not a given, they are in the big game with Pittsburgh while the other 30 teams aren't. Scoreboard.
It's nice, but you have to win the last game to use "scoreboard." That's like waving a giant foam hand with two fingers stretched out and yelling "we're number two! We're number two!"The respect angle has already been beaten to death so I thought I'd beat it some more. If the Cardinals lose the media will fall all over themsevles saying how much respect they've earned and how this is the start of great things. But the media also said Marino would be back after he lost the Super Bowl, too. If you get there you have to make the most of it.If they win they're Super Bowl champs and they'll always have that. If they lose they're just the Cardinals who had a good playoff run after a mediocre regular season. :goodposting: :thumbup:

If they win they're Super Bowl champs and they'll always have that. If they lose they're just the Cardinals who had a good playoff run after a mediocre regular season. :scared: :shock:
I definitely understand what you are saying. That although its a helluva run, it means so much less if they dont pull out this last game. And that is 100% true. Its a great season for this historically terrible team, and to make it this far and lose would be a huge dissapointment. I agree with you up until this next thing you said. To say that, if they lose, that it is just the same ol' Cardinals who had a good run does not seem right to me. Unless Warner retires after this game, or gets hurt early next year or something to that effect, I have a lot of trouble seeing this team going back to playin like the Cardinals of old. Maybe I am biased. Maybe I am caught up in this Superbowl run. Regardless, they have too many athletes and a coaching stuff that understands how to win and has the players trust and respect, and I just dont see them going back to 5-6 wins a year.

If they win they're Super Bowl champs and they'll always have that. If they lose they're just the Cardinals who had a good playoff run after a mediocre regular season. :goodposting: :)
I definitely understand what you are saying. That although its a helluva run, it means so much less if they dont pull out this last game. And that is 100% true. Its a great season for this historically terrible team, and to make it this far and lose would be a huge dissapointment. I agree with you up until this next thing you said. To say that, if they lose, that it is just the same ol' Cardinals who had a good run does not seem right to me. Unless Warner retires after this game, or gets hurt early next year or something to that effect, I have a lot of trouble seeing this team going back to playin like the Cardinals of old. Maybe I am biased. Maybe I am caught up in this Superbowl run. Regardless, they have too many athletes and a coaching stuff that understands how to win and has the players trust and respect, and I just dont see them going back to 5-6 wins a year.
Well, I mean they're back in "show me" mode. I wouldn't grant them any level of success heading into the season. I can say that, win or lose, the Steelers will contend for a playoff spot next season. I'm granting that level of respect because the franchise has earned it, both short and long term. The Cardinals are a "show me" team where I don't expect anything until they show it. If they lose the SB they're right back there. If they win, you can't ever take the SB champs for granted.We don't know if Warner will be back and we don't know if Boldin will be back. I don't think James will be back. The only one I expect to be back is Bidwill, and that's not good for the team. The only other thing you can expect is a huge spike in ticket prices for '09.I really will root for them, though. Here in Tampa the local Wal Marts have the SB gear for both teams in separate sections. My non-scientific survey revealed that Cardinals gear is moving at about the same pace as Steelers gear. So there are fans in Tampa looking for that upset. It's not all Pittsburgh fans.

They weren't a fluke team, they were very, very good. What they did in the surrounding years isn't that relevant when you change the personnel. 1998 was the only season the Falcons had Tony Martin, who was terrific and their leading WR that year. Chandler played well in the season opener in '99 and then was injured and never the same. Jamal Anderson was unbelievable in '98 but then injured right away in '99. They beat two terrific teams in the playoffs. With Chandler at QB, the Falcons went 15-1 before that SB, with the only loss coming against SF, who they beat two other times that season.

They weren't a fluke team, they were very, very good. What they did in the surrounding years isn't that relevant when you change the personnel. 1998 was the only season the Falcons had Tony Martin, who was terrific and their leading WR that year. Chandler played well in the season opener in '99 and then was injured and never the same. Jamal Anderson was unbelievable in '98 but then injured right away in '99. They beat two terrific teams in the playoffs. With Chandler at QB, the Falcons went 15-1 before that SB, with the only loss coming against SF, who they beat two other times that season.
:thumbup: It is hilarious watching people try to dog the '98 Falcons, just because Atlanta wasn't good the years before and the years after. Like you said, that is irrelevant. That '98 Falcons team was a great, great team, and a very worthy Super Bowl team. When your record is 16-3, you are worthy.

I understand NBZ's position on this, but I still have believe that if you make the Superbowl you're etched in history. You're among the last two standing. Sure the Patriots would probably beat them 9 out of 10 times on a neutral field, but that's hypothetical. The Cardinals took care of business versus the Falcons, Panthers and Eagles.

Arizona wasn't good last year and may not be good next year, but this year's squad deserves kudos for stepping up at the right time after their embarrassing lost in New England. While it's still strange to see them in Tampa, they've earned my respect.

There's a clear divergence of opinion here, and I can certainly see both sides of it.The '79 Rams were 9-7, they were 15th in scoring offense and 11th in scoring defense. Their point differential was less than +1 point per game. But, they were perennial contenders at the time. This was just a down year.The '98 Falcons were the opposite. 14-2, #4 offense, #4 defense. Beat a 15-1 team in the conference championship game. But that team was so different from the other Falcon teams of the era that, in retrospect, we've got no choice but to assume it was something of a fluke.Which was the worse Super Bowl team? Like I said, I can see both sides of the argument.

They weren't a fluke team, they were very, very good. What they did in the surrounding years isn't that relevant when you change the personnel.
The slight change in personnel doesn't justify the drastically disproportionate win/loss records.

They weren't a fluke team, they were very, very good. What they did in the surrounding years isn't that relevant when you change the personnel.
The slight change in personnel doesn't justify the drastically disproportionate win/loss records.
Yes, it does. When Reeves came on as coach in '97, they went from 3-13 to 7-9, and then went to 14-2 in his second season. Okay, they dropped to 5-11 in '99, but they lost their best player, Jamal Anderson, for the season in the second game of the season, and their QB had injury problems. Plus, they had a very difficult schedule that season, losing to St. Louis (13-3) twice, Jacksonville (14-2), Minnesota (10-6), Tampa Bay (11-5) and Tennessee (13-3). But again, all of that is fairly irrelevent. In '98, they WERE a great team, and as such, were a worthy Super Bowl team.But if you want to think that a 16-3 team was a bad Super Bowl team, then go ahead.

I already respect the Cardinals. They are a team on the rise that figures to contend for the next half dozen years provided Leinart can satisfactorily step in for Warner and they retain their key personnel by paying their key players what they deserve.

Even if I didn't see long-range success on the horizon, I could respect them just for what they have accomplished this year. I'm not a Cardinal fan, but after what they have been through for 60 seasons, why wouldn't they take one postseason run even if they did slide back to oblivion (which again, I don't see happening)? What's wrong with celebrating a Super Bowl appearance when previously they had won just one playoff game since the vast majority of their fanbase had been born?

Win or lose, and I give them a near 50/50 chance of winning, the Cardinals will be much more respected than they have ever been before in the Super Bowl era.

The Jerk said:
I already respect the Cardinals. They are a team on the rise that figures to contend for the next half dozen years provided Leinart can satisfactorily step in for Warner and they retain their key personnel by paying their key players what they deserve.Even if I didn't see long-range success on the horizon, I could respect them just for what they have accomplished this year. I'm not a Cardinal fan, but after what they have been through for 60 seasons, why wouldn't they take one postseason run even if they did slide back to oblivion (which again, I don't see happening)? What's wrong with celebrating a Super Bowl appearance when previously they had won just one playoff game since the vast majority of their fanbase had been born?Win or lose, and I give them a near 50/50 chance of winning, the Cardinals will be much more respected than they have ever been before in the Super Bowl era.
I'm S.K.A. and I approve this message.Hope and Change, 2009

Ghost Rider said:
Despyzer said:
Yes, it does.
Don't get too bunched up there, GR.No one here suggested or remarked that the Broncos were less-deserving of a championship based on the fact that they played a fluky team in the Super Bowl. Your sense of manhood is safe.

On the one hand I get what you're saying. The only way for this Cardinals team to really cement itself in history is to win the Super Bowl. If they lose and settle back into mediocrity or worse, they will be largely forgotten by the football community. Granted they could lose and be back in a year or two, but that is unlikely.

However, I do and will respect them regardless of the outcome, even if ten years from now this run of theirs is nothing but a very distant memory. I don't think I will ever forget what Fitz has done this post season though - that, IMO, is nothing short of great, and if he has a good Super Bowl, win or lose, his performance this playoff year will be legendary (in fact, I already consider it legendary, though others may disagree).

What makes me smile is just knowing what a joke of a franchise the Cowboys have become, the Cards are 10X more respectable than them.

How about the Pats winning the SB in 2001.

They were a joke up until that point, and they've

I don't think this is accurate. The Pats had been to a Superbowl only a few years earlier with basically the same collection of players (albeit with Bledsoe at QB.) During the late 90's, they were in the playoffs on several occassions, and many experts thought they had the most talent in football. They just couldn't get it done in the postseason under Pete Carroll. But no one considered them a joke.

How about the Pats winning the SB in 2001.

They were a joke up until that point, and they've

I don't think this is accurate. The Pats had been to a Superbowl only a few years earlier with basically the same collection of players (albeit with Bledsoe at QB.) During the late 90's, they were in the playoffs on several occassions, and many experts thought they had the most talent in football. They just couldn't get it done in the postseason under Pete Carroll. But no one considered them a joke.
No, they didn't.

I can't respect the Cardinals, either. They are, quite simply, the WORST team to ever win a conference championship in NFL history.

Pittsburgh will win handily.

I can't respect the Cardinals, either. They are, quite simply, the WORST team to ever win a conference championship in NFL history.
That's like complaining that you're dating the ugliest Victoria Secret model of the bunch. You're still dating a Victoria Secret model.The Cardinals are the NFC Champs. Kudos.

I can't respect the Cardinals, either. They are, quite simply, the WORST team to ever win a conference championship in NFL history.Pittsburgh will win handily.
Again, I say the '85 Patriots. They were a total joke and had no business being in that game. At least the Cardinals won their division.

What does respect mean? Do you mean that they're one of the all time great teams? Or that they're going to be a favorite to go deep in the playoffs next year? Or that they're going to be a favorite to go back to the playoffs?

To be considered one of the greats, they'll have to win, yes. Put on a decent show of it and they'll be one of the early favorites in the NFC. No matter what, they'll be favored to go back to the playoffs.

The Jerk said:
I already respect the Cardinals. They are a team on the rise that figures to contend for the next half dozen years provided Leinart can satisfactorily step in for Warner and they retain their key personnel by paying their key players what they deserve.

Even if I didn't see long-range success on the horizon, I could respect them just for what they have accomplished this year. I'm not a Cardinal fan, but after what they have been through for 60 seasons, why wouldn't they take one postseason run even if they did slide back to oblivion (which again, I don't see happening)? What's wrong with celebrating a Super Bowl appearance when previously they had won just one playoff game since the vast majority of their fanbase had been born?

Win or lose, and I give them a near 50/50 chance of winning, the Cardinals will be much more respected than they have ever been before in the Super Bowl era.
And provided the Lions are run like an NFL team should be, they should sniff the playoffs in the next half-dozen years. What have you seen that would make you think EITHER of those things are likely to happen?

I can't respect the Cardinals, either. They are, quite simply, the WORST team to ever win a conference championship in NFL history.Pittsburgh will win handily.
Well, that's not really the way I meant it. I meant that, when you're that historically pathetic, you have to finish the deal to earn the respect. Otherwise it's just a good (maybe fluky) run.The Cardinals have silenced doubters three times in the playoffs. But that's really their only impressive body of work. Their history is garbage and their regular season was mediocre. If they lose their run won't be as shiny, either-- they beat an up-and-coming Falcons team who isn't there yet and an Eagles team who historically choke away the conference title game. It will be easier to pick apart what they've accomplished in three games if they don't win the fourth.But like I said, that all goes away if they win the last one. Beat the Steelers in Tampa and they get the hats, the shirts, the DVDs, the parade, the bumper stickers, the flags, the shotglasses and everything else that reminds you that the team finished the job and secured their place in history.But lose and you have conference champion shirts which will remind you where the team fell apart and a lot of head-shaking. If they don't win they're just a team that had a nice little run in the playoffs one year.Reading the SB threads, I had forgotten how close the Bengals came-- twice-- to winning. They were really good teams...almost good enough to be champions. But I don't always remember that, and I won't remember it next month, either. They're just the loser. I think the only SB loser that will always get respect is the Bills because it's hard to deny respect to a team that goes to the SB four times in a row. I mean, imagine losing three straight times, gearing up for another season...and doing it again? That takes a lot of mental toughness. I respect that team. I think the Cardinals need to win to earn real respect and avoid just being the opponent the Steelers beat on their way to Ben's second ring.

Ghost Rider said:
Despyzer said:
Yes, it does.
Don't get too bunched up there, GR.No one here suggested or remarked that the Broncos were less-deserving of a championship based on the fact that they played a fluky team in the Super Bowl. Your sense of manhood is safe.
:lmao: Oh, please. My defense of the '98 Falcons has nothing to do with preserving the Broncos status as Super Bowl champs. You are the one implying that a 16-3 team (that was in the top 8 in both total offense and total defense, top 4 in both scoring offense and scoring defense, and FIRST in turnover ratio) was not worthy of making the Super Bowl. Think about that for a minute, and them come back and apologize. :confused:

The Pats had been to a Superbowl only a few years earlier with basically the same collection of players (albeit with Bledsoe at QB.) During the late 90's, they were in the playoffs on several occassions, and many experts thought they had the most talent in football. They just couldn't get it done in the postseason under Pete Carroll. But no one considered them a joke.
Uh. no. I do not recall any so-called expert saying that. The teams that were often said to have the most talent in football in the late 90s, depending on the year, were Denver, Green Bay, San Francisco, Minnesota and St. Louis.

You are the one implying that a 16-3 team (that was in the top 8 in both total offense and total defense, top 4 in both scoring offense and scoring defense, and FIRST in turnover ratio) was not worthy of making the Super Bowl. Think about that for a minute, and them come back and apologize. :bag:
I am? Care to link me to where I said anything like that? What I said was that single good year was a fluke, an anomaly. Odd that you think I should apologize for having an opinion different from yours while you see nothing wrong with putting words in people's mouths. :rolleyes:

You are the one implying that a 16-3 team (that was in the top 8 in both total offense and total defense, top 4 in both scoring offense and scoring defense, and FIRST in turnover ratio) was not worthy of making the Super Bowl. Think about that for a minute, and them come back and apologize. :lmao:
I am? Care to link me to where I said anything like that? What I said was that single good year was a fluke, an anomaly. Odd that you think I should apologize for having an opinion different from yours while you see nothing wrong with putting words in people's mouths. :goodposting:
So by calling them "fluky" you were saying what? It's pretty obvious to everyone else the '98 dirty birds were not a fluke. Look at their record and the stats. A fluky team is one that wins win they shouldn't due to something like a blown call, bad weather, injury to the other team, etc.So were the 2001 Patriots a "fluke" since they missed the playoffs in 2002 and were not so good in prior seasons either?

You are the one implying that a 16-3 team (that was in the top 8 in both total offense and total defense, top 4 in both scoring offense and scoring defense, and FIRST in turnover ratio) was not worthy of making the Super Bowl. Think about that for a minute, and them come back and apologize. :pickle:
I am? Care to link me to where I said anything like that? What I said was that single good year was a fluke, an anomaly. Odd that you think I should apologize for having an opinion different from yours while you see nothing wrong with putting words in people's mouths. :thumbup:
So by calling them "fluky" you were saying what? It's pretty obvious to everyone else the '98 dirty birds were not a fluke. Look at their record and the stats. A fluky team is one that wins win they shouldn't due to something like a blown call, bad weather, injury to the other team, etc.So were the 2001 Patriots a "fluke" since they missed the playoffs in 2002 and were not so good in prior seasons either?
You don't think a kicker missing his only kick of the year at the exact moment he could put the Falcons away is kind of...fluky? Anderson missing a 38-yard field goal after making 40+ in a row is pretty fluky. The Falcons weren't a terrible team and they won fair and square, but their season was kind of an outlier considering how rotten they were before and after. The Patriots started an incredible run in 2001 that continued for several seasons. Kind of embarrasing for Atlanta to compare the Pats to the Falcons just because they barely missed the playoffs in 2002.

So were the 2001 Patriots a "fluke" since they missed the playoffs in 2002 and were not so good in prior seasons either?
No, the 2001 Patriots were a surprise. They missed the 2002 playoffs on a tiebreaker and then won the Super Bowl again the year after that. Compare that to the 1998 Falcons who did not win the Super Bowl that year and then followed up that loss with 9 total wins over the next two years. You can't honestly believe those two situations are the same.

The Jerk said:
I already respect the Cardinals. They are a team on the rise that figures to contend for the next half dozen years provided Leinart can satisfactorily step in for Warner and they retain their key personnel by paying their key players what they deserve.Even if I didn't see long-range success on the horizon, I could respect them just for what they have accomplished this year. I'm not a Cardinal fan, but after what they have been through for 60 seasons, why wouldn't they take one postseason run even if they did slide back to oblivion (which again, I don't see happening)? What's wrong with celebrating a Super Bowl appearance when previously they had won just one playoff game since the vast majority of their fanbase had been born?Win or lose, and I give them a near 50/50 chance of winning, the Cardinals will be much more respected than they have ever been before in the Super Bowl era.
:popcorn: I think this is how most Cards fans feel as well. We are just happy to see our team being covered on T.V. in late January.For years, we have gone through coach after coach who has come to this organization and tried to change the "culture" of losing. Well that has finally happened, so regardless of the Super Bowl outcome, we have to feel good about achiieving that goal in AZ. But a SB win would sure be nice.

The Jerk said:
And provided the Lions are run like an NFL team should be, they should sniff the playoffs in the next half-dozen years. What have you seen that would make you think EITHER of those things are likely to happen?
I don't necessarily agree about the Lions. They could easily go another decade without a playoff run. However, the Cardinals have built a solid foundation by finally bringing in a first-rate coaching staff (not just head coach) that emphasizes a brand of football that has been proven to be as successful as any franchise for the past 35 years. They are building strong offensive and defensive lines, developing mental toughness in their players, and have the most talented receiving corps in the league. Finally, they are set up to be the strongest team in a fairly weak division. The Rams are a mess, the Seahawks are in decline, and the 49ers are several players below the Cardinals in talent. Keep in mind I say all of this as a Steeler fan.

Users who are viewing this thread