What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Huddle up, Peyton Owners. What's our plan? (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
Well, this was about as bad as we could have feared. Who is going to try to Sell Low on Manning? I know we had a similar situation last year with Brady and the Buyers probably ended up in the championship, but Brady's issue was personnel, Manning's appears to be physical along with scheme.

Obviously this is a Sell Low, but sadly this might not be the bottom. What is the stat? No TDs in three of last five games? Unfortunately, with that being a national game and his putridness in the AFC Playoffs fresh in mind, even the name brand might not net much in trade.

I'm full on hitting the panic button before it's too late. Anyone gotten or given any offers yet?

And in cases where his perceived value is too low, any mid-tier QBs you are targeting? Maybe someone wants to feel smart and Sell High on Mariota. Foles looked pretty good agains the Hawks. Maybe even Tyrod Taylor on the wire.

We can get through this, gentleman.

EDIT: This is Re-Draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dynasty or redraft? There's probably no value in dynasty. I don't think I'd give his backup (oz) for him. Zero chance an intelligent owner would give mm. You might get a 3rd.

Redraft? If you can get top 10 qb value I'd jump.

I'll rarely call a player untradeable but he's pretty much there.

He has to know how bad he is now. Is there ANY doubt he's only chasing Favre records at this point?

He has to know how bad he is now. Is there ANY doubt he's only chasing Favre records at this point?
Omaha!

Maybe he is just chasing a title. The supporting team is pretty good and he has a roadmap of Elway doing the exact same thing. He doesn't need to be Peyton manning to compete. I don't think he will get there but I can see that as being his mindset.

Also, I don't think the sky is completely falling. I saw a LOT of "star" players not put their best/expected foot forward yesterday.

He may not live up to his own expectations of his former self but on any give week can he hang in there with Tannehill and Rivers and Eli? Sure.

I'm glad I don't own him, but I wouldn't panick. The entire game was ugly for both sides. Plenty of other top players struggled week one too. I think the run game really killed them too. Granted, they played the Ravens, but 2.8 ypc is really bad.

You should absolutely trade for Mariota. Do it now before he has another good game. Give up a backup RB/WR you can live without

I saw a LOT of "star" players not put their best/expected foot forward yesterday.
Very good point. I think we all got used to the "hot start" Peyton Manning that it's easy to forget that he is adjusting to a new OC/scheme. I think that I heard in the pre-game that yesterday was the first time that all starters were on the field together. So yes, I believe that rust + new OC + game 1 played a role.

Having said that. I don't see how it gets a lot better. Peyton will likely wear down and encounter colder/nastier weather as the season progresses. Maybe it all evens out as he gains confidence in the system, but I would be very surprised if he finished in Top 10 fantasy QBs.

Don't own him either but I think he still has more than enough "name" value that one could get a top 10 QB for him. But do it this week.

And has there ever been a week that neither of the Mannings threw a TD?

You guys are all smoking something. It's one game. Payton has had stinkers before. He will be fine. He's adjusting to a new offensive game plan. The whole team is. He's stil a great Qb. Give it some time. Keep him on your bench if you must but don't trade Low or drop him. Stream qbs like mariota, typos Taylor, bortles, Alex smith until Payton wakes up if you must.

But for gds sakes don't trade low you'll get trade raped for certain.

Step away from the mouse.

You guys are all smoking something. It's one game. Payton has had stinkers before. He will be fine. He's adjusting to a new offensive game plan. The whole team is. He's stil a great Qb. Give it some time. Keep him on your bench if you must but don't trade Low or drop him. Stream qbs like mariota, typos Taylor, bortles, Alex smith until Payton wakes up if you must.

So was Peyton adjusting to the offense the last 6-7 games last year? What does a new offense have to do with inability to throw a deep pass accurately

So was Peyton adjusting to the offense the last 6-7 games last year? What does a new offense have to do with inability to throw a deep pass accurately
Payton hasn't been able to throw a pretty deep ball in years. That's not what makes him a great Qb. What makes him is his understanding of his own offense and defensive formations. His anticipation and pocket presence. If you think that yesterday represents what he will be like all season then I don't know what to tell you other than I disagree. He will gel with the new offense and his receivers and the o line will shore things up a bit. Baltimore is also a great defense. He's not going to play them every week.

I don't own him in any leagues but if the guys in my league are willing to bail like the guys in this thread I'll be first in line to try and swoop in there and try to get him on the cheap.

Jmho I suppose

I'd stay put.

My hunch says he'll gradually end up running his old offense.

In dynasty, you're going down with the ship unless you want a rookie 3rd really badly. In redraft, assuming your league isn't too deep you can potentially scoop up Mariota/Foles/Smith or 2 of them. Hold Peyton and bench him.

I saw a LOT of "star" players not put their best/expected foot forward yesterday.
Very good point. I think we all got used to the "hot start" Peyton Manning that it's easy to forget that he is adjusting to a new OC/scheme. I think that I heard in the pre-game that yesterday was the first time that all starters were on the field together. So yes, I believe that rust + new OC + game 1 played a role.

Having said that. I don't see how it gets a lot better. Peyton will likely wear down and encounter colder/nastier weather as the season progresses. Maybe it all evens out as he gains confidence in the system, but I would be very surprised if he finished in Top 10 fantasy QBs.
Yes and the thing that compounds the "learning the new system" is he is subjecting himself to sacks and they might cumulatively add up. He can't take 4-5 a game because sooner or later, if you give a team 4-5 shots a game, somebody is going to clean his clock.

I am probably starting Foles this week over PManning in a dynasty, and would trade for Alex Smith but don't want all my eggs in the Chiefs basket owning Charles and Kelce already.

Tebow is getting a good laugh over this..
That game reminded me a lot of that season, minus the late game heroics. Punt, play great defense, punt, defense, punt, defense, punt, defensive score, kick a long FG every now and again. Win!

That game reminded me a lot of that season, minus the late game heroics. Punt, play great defense, punt, defense, punt, defense, punt, defensive score, kick a long FG every now and again. Win!
With one huge difference... Tebow would be getting all the credit for a great victory (the guy's just a winner), where as now we are debating the State of Peyton. But basically yes, I understand your point... a team victory in spite of poor QB play.

i'm starting foles or flacco this week probably.... hes getting benched, short week + KC. no thanks.

I realize the past doesn't always indicate future performance, but Peyton usually plays well in KC (loud crowd has never bothered him). So if he stinks up the joint Thursday, it's truly time to panic.

Fwiw, in redraft cam owners should be more concerned
what if Peyton is ur QB1 and Cam is your QB2 :jawdrop:

I do think Peyton comes back -- he has 2 really good WR's I think a 3500 yard 28-35 TD season is still somewhat realistic.

Yea thats why I posted it. lol Its come full circle for Elway. Time to find someone to replace Peyton and then ship him out of town.

As a joke I offered Johnny Manziel for Peyton and a 2016 3rd. He replied that is a horrible offer. I offered it again without the 3rd and waiting a response.

Users who are viewing this thread