What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How bad is Blaine Gabbert? (1 Viewer)

Can't believe how many times he throws it in the dirt. He makes McNabb look like he's throwing lob passes on a regular basis.

He's really bad. The real downside, as a Jags fan, is that Gene Smith drafted him and was just extended. It looks like dark times will continue for the foreseeable future.

so, do the jags give up a high drat pick to broncos for tebow?gets folks in the stands at jax and elway is justified for the pick....
If the Jags do indeed try to trade for Tebow it wouldn't cost a high draft pick. I would guess it would cost a 4th or 5th. I don't think Tebow is going to be in Denver next year and I'm having trouble thinking of a team that would trade for him. It'll be a buyer's market for Tebow so if the Jags wanted him they could get him for cheap.
This post is all kinds of wrong, so much so that I wonder if it is :fishing:To the point of the thread - gabbert is awful.
Instead of saying it's "all kinds of wrong" why don't you say what is wrong with it? Nothing looks too far-fetched to me. It's more than likely they don't go into next year with Tebow as their starter if they don't make the playoffs (when I posted that, it looked less likely than now). If Tebow isn't their starter next year he won't be on the team. Who would give higher than a 4th for a qusrterback that would need a team built around him? Maybe a 3rd rounder. Let me reiterate, I've been the biggest Tebow supporter on the board, I'm just calling them as I see it.
For starters, he's the biggest ticket attraction in the league. Second, the fans love him and getting the fans to turn on on you so you can wait on Matt Barkley to develop isn't a great idea for elway. Third, and most important, is that he's getting noticeably better every week. As has been pointed out before, tenor and cam newton make 3rd and short high conversion plays which is a big deal. If he learns to be even a mediocre passer (55%, 6 yap) then he's going to be a very useful quarterback for a long time. Finally, sending a successful and improving 2 year old dirt round pick out the door for a fourth rounder makes bad football sense. They'd be better off keying in on Trent Richardson, a bulldozing tight end, or more defense the. Retooling with another passer.

I am not a Gabbart fan. But he is the youngest QB in the league & has zero weapons outside of MJD. He might not improve, but I wouldn't write him off until you see what he can do with a little help. Jax has undervalued WRs for years, and the ones they have are no better than WR3 on most teams. WR should be their top priority this offseason

so, do the jags give up a high drat pick to broncos for tebow?gets folks in the stands at jax and elway is justified for the pick....
If the Jags do indeed try to trade for Tebow it wouldn't cost a high draft pick. I would guess it would cost a 4th or 5th. I don't think Tebow is going to be in Denver next year and I'm having trouble thinking of a team that would trade for him. It'll be a buyer's market for Tebow so if the Jags wanted him they could get him for cheap.
This post is all kinds of wrong, so much so that I wonder if it is :fishing:To the point of the thread - gabbert is awful.
Instead of saying it's "all kinds of wrong" why don't you say what is wrong with it? Nothing looks too far-fetched to me. It's more than likely they don't go into next year with Tebow as their starter if they don't make the playoffs (when I posted that, it looked less likely than now). If Tebow isn't their starter next year he won't be on the team. Who would give higher than a 4th for a qusrterback that would need a team built around him? Maybe a 3rd rounder. Let me reiterate, I've been the biggest Tebow supporter on the board, I'm just calling them as I see it.
For starters, he's the biggest ticket attraction in the league. Second, the fans love him and getting the fans to turn on on you so you can wait on Matt Barkley to develop isn't a great idea for elway. Third, and most important, is that he's getting noticeably better every week. As has been pointed out before, tenor and cam newton make 3rd and short high conversion plays which is a big deal. If he learns to be even a mediocre passer (55%, 6 yap) then he's going to be a very useful quarterback for a long time. Finally, sending a successful and improving 2 year old dirt round pick out the door for a fourth rounder makes bad football sense. They'd be better off keying in on Trent Richardson, a bulldozing tight end, or more defense the. Retooling with another passer.
So, how is what I said :fishing: and not just an opinion about something that's not that unlikely to happen?

I am not a Gabbart fan. But he is the youngest QB in the league & has zero weapons outside of MJD. He might not improve, but I wouldn't write him off until you see what he can do with a little help. Jax has undervalued WRs for years, and the ones they have are no better than WR3 on most teams. WR should be their top priority this offseason
He's consistently missing his targets two yards in front of him. Horribly inaccurate + extremely frightened in the pocket equal a really bad combination.

The kid is clearly rattled at this point, he is making mistakes he did not make in preseason. As much as I would like to get him some more reps it might be better to give McCown a start and shut the kid down for a while. If he is not developing( and that seems to be the case) then getting him reps isn't helping. Let him work in practice and an watch for a while, maybe that will settle him. Or maybe he just isn't the guy.

Only plus I can give him is his size and some darts he threw on short routs so far. I'd like to see what he does with a few targets before I write him off. My boys like to call him "Sunshine" and they usually follow up with "he ain't ####!"

Jon Gruden hates this guy. He bashed him ALL NIGHT LONG.
And rightfully so. THis kid isn't an NFL QB. He literally can't make a throw without falling backward. He looks terrified in the pocket, wouldn't know how to step up in the pocket if someone pushed him into it, constantly is not on the same page with his receivers, throws the ball in the dirt or away when there is no pressure for a good 4 yards. It's embarrassing they keep rolling him out there. They won;t even let him throw it over 8 yards. I guess they have to justify the draft pick, but boy, he is awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
They won;t even let him throw it over 8 yards.
Previously on this board I remember reading other posters' complaints about Garrard always throwing short passes. Jax has had a bad pass blocking line and bad wide outs for years, which really makes it hard to throw deep.

He reminds me a lot of Alex Smith before Harbaugh, in the sense that he'll play poorly for 3/4ths of the game, but somehow pull out that 1 or 2 drives during the game that he looks like he is finally getting it, just enough to tease coaches/owners into holding onto him for way to long.

If you look at qbs who are not Tim Tebow and who are starting because the team made them the number one choice, Gabbert is the worst qb this year hands down.

Statistically he is the lowest ranked qb in yards, yards per attempt, qb rating and completion percentage.

Jacksonville has to be looking for major major improvement next year. I have seen Gabbert play a few times this year and a rookie qb with potential you hope to see signs of talent and potential but nothing this year unfortunately for Jags fans.

My view is that he is so obviously thinking of avoiding contact on every snap that I don't think making something good happen is his top priority. What's the movie where the qb takes the snap and runs back to the red yelling "blow the whistle!".

Yeah, that.

Wow. If Gruden is bashing you, as a QB, you should leave the league immediately. That being said this guy sucks right now and is not NFL ready. He needs to be sitting and watching. Some QB's can come in and play right away in the NFl, some can't and this guy can't. He does have bad receivers but that 2nd series where the defender came after him and he threw it into the ground while cowering in fear was a sad display. Dude, you have 2 legs ya know. Use them. You had plenty of room to run from the defender.

And rightfully so. THis kid isn't an NFL QB. He literally can't make a throw without falling backward. He looks terrified in the pocket, wouldn't know how to step up in the pocket if someone pushed him into it, constantly is not on the same page with his receivers, throws the ball in the dirt or away when there is no pressure for a good 4 yards. It's embarrassing they keep rolling him out there. They won;t even let him throw it over 8 yards. I guess they have to justify the draft pick, but boy, he is awful.
Did you see the play near the beginning of the game where it was a pass play (possibly a screen pass) and he took his 3 steps back or whatever and as soon as a defender was 10 ft from him he rifled the ball into the dirt while still in the pocket? WTF was that? Not a receiver any where near where he threw it and he didn't even give the play time to develop. He saw the defender and panicked.Then there was the play right before or after halftime where he dropped back and had some minor pressure and he instantly curled up instead of STEPPING UP INTO THE POCKET to make a throw. Even my wife, who is a huge Missouri Tigers fan said: "Wow! He sure goes to the fetal position quick." LOL! And this talk of "Let's get him some recievers and see what he can do." isn't gonna work either. The kid had weapons while at Missouri and was given every opportunity to succeed and he FAILED!As I was watching the game last night and watching Gabbert be successful dinking and dunking the ball down the field I kept asking myself why is SD playing zone against this kid? I'd put 8 guys in the box and play man to man and shut that team down. Not sure why NFL coaches always over analyze things. I guess there is a reason Norv Turner is on his way to being fired.Gabbert will not throw the ball down the field over 8 yards because he will never give the play time to develop because he hears footsteps. He looks scared, confused, and uncomfortable behind center.

Did you see the play near the beginning of the game where it was a pass play (possibly a screen pass) and he took his 3 steps back or whatever and as soon as a defender was 10 ft from him he rifled the ball into the dirt while still in the pocket? WTF was that?
It was a screen pass and a Charger defender read it and took out MJD. Gabbert almost did what they teach you to do in that situation which is just throw the ball into the ground... near the RB. That play is a good example of the trouble Blaine is having. He is over thinking everything and not reading an reacting. He has to know better than to ground that ball in that situation but he is so in his head he throws the ball to the ground where MJD is suppose to be instead of running or grounding the ball near MJD. I really think he might benefit from some time off with McCown getting some reps.

Did you see the play near the beginning of the game where it was a pass play (possibly a screen pass) and he took his 3 steps back or whatever and as soon as a defender was 10 ft from him he rifled the ball into the dirt while still in the pocket? WTF was that? Not a receiver any where near where he threw it and he didn't even give the play time to develop. He saw the defender and panicked.Then there was the play right before or after halftime where he dropped back and had some minor pressure and he instantly curled up instead of STEPPING UP INTO THE POCKET to make a throw. Even my wife, who is a huge Missouri Tigers fan said: "Wow! He sure goes to the fetal position quick." LOL! .
Photographic memory. He always gets up unscathed. :thumbup:

How can you possibky judge him based on what he has around him. he is a young QB...really should still be at Mizzou. Is he great? No. Coul dhe be a mid-level NFL qb? I certainly think so - but it will take time. He certainly isn't on Newton or Dalton's level as far as stepping right in NFL ready. I think he will be okay.

How can you possibky judge him based on what he has around him.
How does "what he has around him" apply to his hideous lack of accuracy? He's missing throws that a freshman football QB would complete.
and also how does it apply to him being a gigantic wuss bag who literally pees his pants when he sees a defender lined up on the other side of his line before the ball is snapped and who runs over to the sidelines and cries after he falls down out of fear he is not very good is what i am trying to say take it to the crappy player bank total waste of a pick i cant believe someone said he was better than cam before the draft wow

How does "what he has around him" apply to his hideous lack of accuracy? He's missing throws that a freshman football QB would complete.
and also how does it apply to him being a gigantic wuss bag who literally pees his pants when he sees a defender lined up on the other side of his line before the ball is snapped and who runs over to the sidelines and cries after he falls down out of fear he is not very good is what i am trying to say take it to the crappy player bank total waste of a pick i cant believe someone said he was better than cam before the draft wow
Punctuation please. Thanks again.

I don't know how you can judge the guy considering the cast of has-beens and never-will-be's surrounding him.

Put him on a team with NFL-caliber receivers, an average pass-backing OL, and a vaguely-competent offensive coordinator/playcaller, then maybe we'd see just how good or bad he is. Until then, we've got no clue. :shrug:

I wonder how the LA sunshine will effect his play.
I do not understand. He plays in Florida now, it is also very sunny here. How would the sunshine in LA be any different? Also, it was a night game last night so I am pretty sure the sun was not effecting him then. I look forward to better understanding your valuable contribution to the thread once I understand how it is even remotely relevant to the thread. :thumbup:

I don't know how you can judge the guy considering the cast of has-beens and never-will-be's surrounding him.Put him on a team with NFL-caliber receivers, an average pass-backing OL, and a vaguely-competent offensive coordinator/playcaller, then maybe we'd see just how good or bad he is. Until then, we've got no clue. :shrug:
Folks aren't bashing him just because he's putting up pathetic stats. It's how he actually looks. Good quarterbacks step up to take the hits as they throw the ball. Heck, even Tebow and Alex Smith will let themselves get crushed if it means they have a few moments longer to make a play happen. Gabbert is hurling the ball into the dirt the moment someone gets within 5 feet of him and he's running away from any contact. It doesn't matter what kind of weapons you have if you're too scared to use them.Maybe he'll improve. I'm skeptical. Can anyone think of a quarterback who started his career being scared of a hit only to turn things around?

I don't know how you can judge the guy considering the cast of has-beens and never-will-be's surrounding him.Put him on a team with NFL-caliber receivers, an average pass-backing OL, and a vaguely-competent offensive coordinator/playcaller, then maybe we'd see just how good or bad he is. Until then, we've got no clue. :shrug:
unless you can somehow get the nfl rules changed to allow guys to build castles out of mortar and stone or metal or other very hard objects where he can be protected from ever being hit i dont see how you cant already see he is going to have problems he just about poops his pants when he is about to be hit and throws the ball all over the joint so i dont know maybe the experience he needs is to just go into mma and get beat up a lot so that he is not afraid of contact man its like a roofer who is afraid of heights i dont get it

Folks aren't bashing him just because he's putting up pathetic stats. It's how he actually looks. Good quarterbacks step up to take the hits as they throw the ball. Heck, even Tebow and Alex Smith will let themselves get crushed if it means they have a few moments longer to make a play happen. Gabbert is hurling the ball into the dirt the moment someone gets within 5 feet of him and he's running away from any contact. It doesn't matter what kind of weapons you have if you're too scared to use them.
I think we're getting spoiled by guys like Cam Newton and Andy Dalton, because that's about how I would have described almost any rookie quarterback before this year. Alex Smith as a rookie was like that, too. I'm trying to think of other mid-1st round picks who started as a rookie before this year....Kyle Boller? Jason Campbell? They were like that. Joe Flacco wasn't, but he had a very good team around him.

unless you can somehow get the nfl rules changed to allow guys to build castles out of mortar and stone or metal or other very hard objects where he can be protected from ever being hit i dont see how you cant already see he is going to have problems he just about poops his pants when he is about to be hit and throws the ball all over the joint so i dont know maybe the experience he needs is to just go into mma and get beat up a lot so that he is not afraid of contact man its like a roofer who is afraid of heights i dont get it
Alright then, it's been fun. Good shtick though.

Folks aren't bashing him just because he's putting up pathetic stats. It's how he actually looks. Good quarterbacks step up to take the hits as they throw the ball. Heck, even Tebow and Alex Smith will let themselves get crushed if it means they have a few moments longer to make a play happen. Gabbert is hurling the ball into the dirt the moment someone gets within 5 feet of him and he's running away from any contact. It doesn't matter what kind of weapons you have if you're too scared to use them.
I think we're getting spoiled by guys like Cam Newton and Andy Dalton, because that's about how I would have described almost any rookie quarterback before this year. Alex Smith as a rookie was like that, too. I'm trying to think of other mid-1st round picks who started as a rookie before this year....Kyle Boller? Jason Campbell? They were like that. Joe Flacco wasn't, but he had a very good team around him.
The problem is that Gabbert has been worse than John Skelton & Curtis Painter.

I imagine people thought Troy Aikman sucked when he went winless. Not that Gabbert will ever be as good as Troy - give him time. He isn't a finished product. You really think Gabbert is what is holding back the Jags at this point?

I imagine people thought Troy Aikman sucked when he went winless. Not that Gabbert will ever be as good as Troy - give him time. He isn't a finished product. You really think Gabbert is what is holding back the Jags at this point?
Yeah... everyone is saying the Jags would win the Super Bowl going away if they had a different QB.

the difference is that troy wuold take a hit probably too much which ended up with him having concussions but with gabbymcscardypants he honestly looks terrified to get hit and it effects his throws and decision making and play as many games as you want if you are in the nFl and cant get hit you are not going to be good especially at the qb position honestly i think i have seen kickers that thought were tougheron the other point i dont think he is the only thing holding back the jags because frankly they hav a lot probblems but he sure isnt the road to the path or even the onramp to the bypass that leads to the road to success in my opinion but basically im almost never right so hell probably end up being the second coming of peyton manning i guess

I don't know how you can judge the guy considering the cast of has-beens and never-will-be's surrounding him.
Nobody had a problem doing it to Garrard when he was playing with same cast.
Garrard was a vet and a known quantity. Gabbert is neither.
Your two posts contradict each other. Either a guy can be judged when he has a surrounding cast of has-beens and never-will-bes or Garrard was not a known quantity.

Nobody had a problem doing it to Garrard when he was playing with same cast.
Garrard was a vet and a known quantity. Gabbert is neither.
Your two posts contradict each other. Either a guy can be judged when he has a surrounding cast of has-beens and never-will-bes or Garrard was not a known quantity.
:confused: A rookie can't be judged with a lousy surrounding cast. A veteran can.

What's the contradiction?

:confused:

And oh by the way, when Garrard first started 10+ games (2006), he was surrounded by four first round picks at the skill positions: Fred Taylor, Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Marcedes Lewis. Plus MJD as a rookie. And a much better defense and offensive line, iirc.

'SWC said:
'Mr. Know-It-All said:
'SWC said:
'Raider Nation said:
'Mr. Know-It-All said:
the difference is that troy wuold take a hit probably too much which ended up with him having concussions but with gabbymcscardypants he honestly looks terrified to get hit and it effects his throws and decision making and play as many games as you want if you are in the nFl and cant get hit you are not going to be good especially at the qb position honestly i think i have seen kickers that thought were tougheron the other point i dont think he is the only thing holding back the jags because frankly they hav a lot probblems but he sure isnt the road to the path or even the onramp to the bypass that leads to the road to success in my opinion but basically im almost never right so hell probably end up being the second coming of peyton manning i guess
I am a Rams fan (until they move out of St Louis) - but have always liked the Jags. When the Rams move, I'll probably become a Jags fan unless St Louis gets another team. I know he has looked terrible - but I want to see him get a chance. I just wish they would have let him be an understudy for a few years.

'SWC said:
'Mr. Know-It-All said:
'SWC said:
'Raider Nation said:
'Mr. Know-It-All said:
I am a Rams fan (until they move out of St Louis) - but have always liked the Jags. When the Rams move, I'll probably become a Jags fan unless St Louis gets another team. I know he has looked terrible - but I want to see him get a chance. I just wish they would have let him be an understudy for a few years.
im all for everyone succeeeding and hate to see anyone fail so i hope he turns it around but he just really looks like he is afraid of the defense and that he will bury his head in the sand and make a dumb choice footballwise not lifewise when he is about to get hit and man brother that is no way to be if you are a qb in the toughest colloseum on earth

Last two weeks:

19-33 for 195 2TDs, 1 INT

19-33 for 217 2TDs, 2 INTs

It looks like the kid is improving a little. Those are actually around the numbers you might expect from a rookie QB with potential.

On the flipside Greg Cosell was recently quoted as saying: "I will say unequivocally that (Gabbert) will not make it in this league as a starting NFL quarterback."

That seems like a bold statement to make concerning a rookie QB who is in a bad situation.

Last two weeks:19-33 for 195 2TDs, 1 INT19-33 for 217 2TDs, 2 INTsIt looks like the kid is improving a little. Those are actually around the numbers you might expect from a rookie QB with potential. On the flipside Greg Cosell was recently quoted as saying: "I will say unequivocally that (Gabbert) will not make it in this league as a starting NFL quarterback." That seems like a bold statement to make concerning a rookie QB who is in a bad situation.
Merely headline grabbing. It is way too early to pull the plug on this kid. He has no real weapons. Give him Dwayne Bowe and Steve Breaston and see how he does.

Last two weeks:19-33 for 195 2TDs, 1 INT19-33 for 217 2TDs, 2 INTsIt looks like the kid is improving a little. Those are actually around the numbers you might expect from a rookie QB with potential. On the flipside Greg Cosell was recently quoted as saying: "I will say unequivocally that (Gabbert) will not make it in this league as a starting NFL quarterback." That seems like a bold statement to make concerning a rookie QB who is in a bad situation.
Merely headline grabbing. It is way too early to pull the plug on this kid. He has no real weapons. Give him Dwayne Bowe and Steve Breaston and see how he does.
I think it was more the offensive coordinator finally decided to let their stud control the game. MJD had 27 carries and was the leading receiver. Take the ball OUT of Gabberts hands and let the real players do their thing.I'm sure the light has yet to go on for Gabbert nor do I think it ever will. I'm glad the Jags won, but Freeman did a good job of gift wrapping that win for the Jags too. Tampa was up 14 - 0 early.

I think it was more the offensive coordinator finally decided to let their stud control the game. MJD had 27 carries and was the leading receiver. Take the ball OUT of Gabberts hands and let the real players do their thing.I'm sure the light has yet to go on for Gabbert nor do I think it ever will. I'm glad the Jags won, but Freeman did a good job of gift wrapping that win for the Jags too. Tampa was up 14 - 0 early.
You are talking about a prototype NFL guy with no character issues. He came from a spread offense in college. He's ideal size and by some accounts has a photographic memory.

the phtoograph memory is what gets him in trouble because he apparently really remembers the hell out of being hit and is super afraid to stay in the pocket or face contact and basically pees in his trousers whenever a defensive player gets near him and the cleaning staff is probably pretty tired of him and his soiled pants

Users who are viewing this thread