What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

home networking (wifi) question - mesh vs access points (1 Viewer)

That makes more sense. I always mix the two up too.

Do you find the Orbi works better than the Nighthawk? I like the Nighthawk but there are a couple areas of my house that it doesn't seem to reach. Weird ones too.
Yes, it provides MUCH better coverage.  I'll echo the earlier sentiments - I wish I would've swapped my Nighthawk for it a long time ago.  

If my modem is in the basement and I have two levels above that, would that require two additional add-on points or could I get by with one additional?

If my modem is in the basement and I have two levels above that, would that require two additional add-on points or could I get by with one additional?
It probably depends on how good your mesh system is, but you describe my setup exactly (only difference is that my router is on the top floor) and I've only got one satellite on the main floor and it covers the basement with no problems whatsoever.

But @-OZ- said it connected to the router. Did he mean modem?

All I want to know is if I connect these things to my Netgear Nighthawk or if I can sell that thing and use it to buy a mesh system.
I'm just following the directions.  The app had me unplug the router, plug the eero into the modem, then into the previous router. 

Apparently you can do that, but don't need to: 

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207621056-How-do-I-set-up-my-eero-if-I-want-to-keep-my-existing-router-

I need to consider whether keeping 2 systems makes sense. One for the kids? But part of the benefit of the mesh is turning their access off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went the route of buying my modem which is connected to an ASUS AC86U, and then setting up ASUS's AiMesh WiFi System with an old AC68W I had sitting around. Modem and 86 is on my second floor, 68 is in the basement. It works out pretty well, about 2700 sq ft over three floors and coverage is solid, extends well outside the home. I'm sure there's something better, but this was relatively cheap for what it provided me. I think it would be even better if I connected the basement router via ethernet, but there's no easy way to run that through the walls. Not sure if a powerline solution for that would be any better than just doing the current WiFi connection, anyway.

Only downside I've found so far is that I can't set up a separate guest access channel.

My Orbi is in basement. My satellite 1st floor.

My house is not huge though but the second floor and garage work fine

Received our eero yesterday, set it up last night.

My only question now is why the #### did I wait so long?  So far it's awesome.

Ok, second question - is the subscription worth while? I'm guessing no. 
I didn’t get a subscription, but I’m guessing no. 

I'm just following the directions.  The app had me unplug the router, plug the eero into the modem, then into the previous router. 

Apparently you can do that, but don't need to: 

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207621056-How-do-I-set-up-my-eero-if-I-want-to-keep-my-existing-router-

I need to consider whether keeping 2 systems makes sense. One for the kids? But part of the benefit of the mesh is turning their access off.
This means you are running two networks. If both are running DHCP you will have address collisions.  I can't think of a single reason to keep the old router in place. Unless maybe you have a bunch of static IP addresses or ports forwarded that you don't want to reconfigure?

If you can, I would move the modem to the middle level and put your mesh point(s) there.  They should cover up and down a floor with no problem. Not sure about two floors.

This means you are running two networks. If both are running DHCP you will have address collisions.  I can't think of a single reason to keep the old router in place. Unless maybe you have a bunch of static IP addresses or ports forwarded that you don't want to reconfigure?
Should be fine if you turn off the WiFi on the google fiber network box. 

Edit: I was assuming OZ had Google Fiber which requires the network box/router. If you have something else than you don’t need the old router. 

I don't understand the bold. Most of our devices have been switched to the mesh. I'll probably disconnect the old router now, the instructions seem wrong. 

I don't understand the bold. Most of our devices have been switched to the mesh. I'll probably disconnect the old router now, the instructions seem wrong. 
Unless one is setup as an access point or you change the default network on one they can both be assign the same IP to different devices.

eero - AC Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System (3-Pack)

Good deal?

Or is it better to go for a tri-band and/or look for something with WiFi6?

Is the latter really a bit of a ways away from practical use?
Same price on Amazon.

It really depends on your house/layout and current coverage issues.

And wifi ax(6) is out and most mfgs have at least one product that supports it, the issue is it's expensive and unless you have a really new endpoint it's not likely to support it. I'd wait.

Same price on Amazon.

It really depends on your house/layout and current coverage issues.

And wifi ax(6) is out and most mfgs have at least one product that supports it, the issue is it's expensive and unless you have a really new endpoint it's not likely to support it. I'd wait.
suppose I have a network switch running ethernet thru-out my house.  I assume I could put one of these between the modem and the switch and maintain ethernet?

If I can do that, I can re-purpose my existing routers as wifi access points, dedicated for particular purposes - i.e. I like to have one dedicated to my firestick because there is nothing worse than buffering when watching live sports.

suppose I have a network switch running ethernet thru-out my house.  I assume I could put one of these between the modem and the switch and maintain ethernet?

If I can do that, I can re-purpose my existing routers as wifi access points, dedicated for particular purposes - i.e. I like to have one dedicated to my firestick because there is nothing worse than buffering when watching live sports.
Sure you could do that but I'd prefer to use mesh over the dedicated re-purpose as APs. Multiple APs are not nearly as good as a mesh since there is no co-ordination between the APs and the main router. With mesh it's a single network with seamless hand-off.

You could be running into router issues with the buffering, not necessarily wifi issues. If it were me, I'd go with a current mesh system.

Since I have close to wifi 50 devices, my Apple airport router was struggling to keep up with demand. For instance, I could not play music through all of my Alexa speakers, I had to break them down into subgroups.

I ended up buying this Deco Wifi 6 mesh system which can handle up to 150 devices.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-X20-Next-Gen-Extenders/dp/B085Z35GY6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=deco+x20&qid=1594222312&sr=8-1

I also upgraded my modem to one that is DOCSIS 3.1 compliant which allowed me to take advantage of my Xfinity gigabit service. I went with an Arris SB8200.

So far so great!

Sure you could do that but I'd prefer to use mesh over the dedicated re-purpose as APs. Multiple APs are not nearly as good as a mesh since there is no co-ordination between the APs and the main router. With mesh it's a single network with seamless hand-off.

You could be running into router issues with the buffering, not necessarily wifi issues. If it were me, I'd go with a current mesh system.
That's probably the best solution.  Really just looking to not have to throw away 5 year old routers.  With the AP paradigm, they would be for dedicated, stationary devices to no hand-off issues - i.e. the firestick doesn't move around; it's always <5' from it's dedicated AP.

Honestly, buffering in the firestick isn't my home network problem.  My problem  is mobile data - i.e. my phone and/or my wifes Surface, accessing the network around the house.  I think it's a combination of handoffs and/or dead spots...i.e. it is talking to router A but when I move into a different room, the device doesn't automatically hop to the router with the stronger signal.  A mesh system will fix both of these issues.

That's probably the best solution.  Really just looking to not have to throw away 5 year old routers.  With the AP paradigm, they would be for dedicated, stationary devices to no hand-off issues - i.e. the firestick doesn't move around; it's always <5' from it's dedicated AP.

Honestly, buffering in the firestick isn't my home network problem.  My problem  is mobile data - i.e. my phone and/or my wifes Surface, accessing the network around the house.  I think it's a combination of handoffs and/or dead spots...i.e. it is talking to router A but when I move into a different room, the device doesn't automatically hop to the router with the stronger signal.  A mesh system will fix both of these issues.
Well 5 yr old devices are EOL, especially now with how fast streaming has come on in the last ~2/3 years. Those don't have the processing or memory to handle the type of network traffic that exists today.

Good deal?

Typically it's $250. I bought it on sale a few months ago for $175ish. It goes on sale every now and then, but I think this is a pretty good price. 

I wouldn't worry about IP6 at this point in time. Dual-band works great for us, but probably depends on your house layout and number of devices that are connected. 

Any experience with the Comcast/Xfinity XFi pods?

also my in home coverage is actually pretty good, but trying to get better coverage outside 

Potentially I’d like to put a pod or two in my  detached garage

so would this setup potentially work 

router/modem ground floor

pod 1 near router

pod 2 downstairs

pod 3 upstairs

pod 4 kitchen (close to garage)

pod 5 front of garage

pod 6 back of garage

i could draw a map if that helps

Any experience with the Comcast/Xfinity XFi pods?

also my in home coverage is actually pretty good, but trying to get better coverage outside 

Potentially I’d like to put a pod or two in my  detached garage

so would this setup potentially work 

router/modem ground floor

pod 1 near router

pod 2 downstairs

pod 3 upstairs

pod 4 kitchen (close to garage)

pod 5 front of garage

pod 6 back of garage

i could draw a map if that helps
Personally I think their Xfi is a POS, most current mesh systems are much better than using their little pods.

I just realized how old my modem was. I'm using a Motorola SURFboard SB6141 that has 343 Mbps download speeds.

Might be time to upgrade that, right?

Good deal?

I ended up getting this when it was $170.  no problems so far - have not had any issues with handoffs or any of that.  Actually, the range on these things is much better than what I had previously. 

I do have one poor area in my basement where my TV streams.  Instead of buying an extra pod, I just re-purposed my old router to act as an access point (i.e. disable DHCP), and gave it it's own wifi network name, and had my firestick hook up to that. 

Just an FYI, but tri-band/dual band can mean two different things when comparing a router versus a mesh network. I have the TP Link Deco M9 Plus (got it with 3 nodes on Costco) and it’s technically tri-band but I believe it’s just dual band for devices and the third band is for back haul between the nodes. It’s damn fast, way better than my Meshforce which was better than my single router.

I’d highly recommend tri-band if it enables the nodes to have a dedicated back haul to the one connected to the modem.

Just an FYI, but tri-band/dual band can mean two different things when comparing a router versus a mesh network. I have the TP Link Deco M9 Plus (got it with 3 nodes on Costco) and it’s technically tri-band but I believe it’s just dual band for devices and the third band is for back haul between the nodes. It’s damn fast, way better than my Meshforce which was better than my single router.

I’d highly recommend tri-band if it enables the nodes to have a dedicated back haul to the one connected to the modem.
Wired backhaul is even better but those are harder to find in mesh systems. 

Wired backhaul is even better but those are harder to find in mesh systems. 
Yeah, but those power line adapters can get a little wonky. The node to node speed isn’t a bottleneck from what I’ve seen. I love the M9, it was noticeably faster than the MeshForce that I liked. I just noticed it wasn’t great with everyone home all at the same time. Don’t notice any issues now. 

Thought I'd drop this question here... I have the Google Wifi setup with three points. Lately, the Wifi has been going down once or twice a day throughout the house.  I plug and unplug the hub connected to my cable modem, and it eventually boots back up.  But it is not a permanent solution, as goes back down a day later, and I'm back to needing to plug/unplug again.  Any tips for fixing?  My wife starting to take it out on me whenever we're trying to WFH and internet goes down in the house.

Thought I'd drop this question here... I have the Google Wifi setup with three points. Lately, the Wifi has been going down once or twice a day throughout the house.  I plug and unplug the hub connected to my cable modem, and it eventually boots back up.  But it is not a permanent solution, as goes back down a day later, and I'm back to needing to plug/unplug again.  Any tips for fixing?  My wife starting to take it out on me whenever we're trying to WFH and internet goes down in the house.
If the WiFi is down throughout the house and not just near one of the remote points, the problem is either with the modem, the feed to the modem, or the WiFi point plugged into the modem.

Are wired connections down too? Many modems have an indicator light showing the internet status  Check that. If those are going down/intermittent, then the problem isn’t your Google points and maybe you need a new modem.

You could try swapping one of the three points for the one plugged into the hub. It feeds the other two , so if it is down, your whole WiFi is down. Maybe even swap one in and leave the original one unplugged entirely. If the problem goes away, you found your culprit.

When you say hub connected to the modem, do you mean one of the google points, or a separate hub, like a little 4 or 6 port deal, and then the first Google point is plugged into that?

I initially read the post as the first google point is plugged right into the modem.

If you do have a hub in there too, that’s another potential trouble point. Those little hubs can be had for like $20. You could try bypassing it entirely if possible (although you might have to do without a couple wired devices for a few days).  I have one in my setup because I have too many devices in the there and needed more than just the 4 ports built into my modem. Or just make sure your WiFi point has one of the “good” ports built into your modem.

When you say hub connected to the modem, do you mean one of the google points, or a separate hub, like a little 4 or 6 port deal, and then the first Google point is plugged into that?

I initially read the post as the first google point is plugged right into the modem.

If you do have a hub in there too, that’s another potential trouble point. Those little hubs can be had for like $20. You could try bypassing it entirely if possible (although you might have to do without a couple wired devices for a few days).  I have one in my setup because I have too many devices in the there and needed more than just the 4 ports built into my modem. Or just make sure your WiFi point has one of the “good” ports built into your modem.
I’m not sure the proper nomenclature. I have this 3-pack: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAW2294/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_EoBpFbAQDH9JQ

One is directly into the cable modem, and then I have other two in other locations in the house. The internet goes out throughout the house, and I plug/unplug the one that is plugged into the cable modem to restart it.

So moving in my first home. Hopefully, this is the right place to ask.

1900 sq feet, ranch style. 8000 sq foot lot. 

I'm a gamer, so I'd like to be able to connect whatever console I have directly via Ethernet and still handle streaming devices (tv, speakers, cell phones). 

My fiancee definitely wants a RING or Nest setup ASAP for security and I'd like to automate the house some in the future (temp, lights, speakers). I'm an Android user and she's a Apple user. So what's going to be the best setup to get all this done? TIA.

I’m not sure the proper nomenclature. I have this 3-pack: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAW2294/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_EoBpFbAQDH9JQ

One is directly into the cable modem, and then I have other two in other locations in the house. The internet goes out throughout the house, and I plug/unplug the one that is plugged into the cable modem to restart it.
Not gonna hurt to reboot the modem, then reboot the the access points after the modem comes back up. That can clear up a lot of issues, but obviously you don’t want that to be a habit.

See if that gives you more than a day. If it is still an issue,  then just plug one of the other access points into the modem and leave the original one either unplugged or move it out further into the house to see what happens. 

nothing worse than chasing intermittent problems around , so you just gotta try to isolate things one at a time.

Probably going to have to bite the bullet and finally go mesh.

Any first hand experience you guys want to share? I've got 400MBps from Spectrum, and currently my modem/router give great speed for the most part, but we do have some weak spots in the house, it's time to beef it up a bit.

Debating:

Google Nest 3 pack - Currently $279 at Best Buy

Orbi RBK752 - Currently $450 on Amazon - Costco has same for $10 cheaper

Eero Mesh 3-pack - $249 at Amazon  - though, as that seems to cap speeds at 350MBps, not sure if I'd be better off going to the Pro, which is $499, but not sure I'd really need that

Hoping some of you that are much smarter than I am at this can give some advice.

House is two story, approx. 2900 sq. ft. - modem and router are located in a central upstairs closet - my thought would be router attaches here as it has to, and would cover the upstairs which is two bedrooms (two older kids), then if it is a 1 hub system, probably put that in kitchen somewhere as that is most central point of the downstairs, if it is a two hub system, put on in downstairs master bedroom as that would cover there and our youngest son's bedroom, with the second one in my office which is at the front of the house which covers the office and living room where my wife is set up for work.

Needs to cover multiple laptops/tablets connecting, phones connecting, Firestick/Apple TVs connecting and Ring cameras and Nest Thermostats.

We get decent coverage throughout the house, but often get weak signals notices for the Ring cameras (doorbell and one mounted over garage) and lately my youngest has been having intermittent connection issues with his school Chromebook (shows weak signal to the wifi) I'm kind of figuring this is a step we'd be taking anyway, these issues (mostly the Chromebook one for school) just make it more pressing a need so getting pressure from the wife to figure it out.

I was planning to go with the Google system (seems to have good reviews and be simple to set up), but a friend has the previous version of the Orbi and said he really likes it. I'm at that point of paralysis by analysis and looking for input.

So, much more intelligent folks of the FFA, what say you?

Users who are viewing this thread