What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Ethernet Networking Question (1 Viewer)

Senor Schmutzig

Footballguy
Been in our house for about 6 months now and have the wifi up and running no problem so figuring out the ethernet network hasn't been a priority. Now that I have a little more time on my hands, I figured I would start digging into it and figure out why my ethernet jacks around the house aren't receiving a signal. 

I have my wireless router setup in my living room cabinet and have plugged in the Cat-5e cable that runs to the patch panel (or is it a switch or hub? Can never keep those straight) in the garage

Router to patch panel in LR  

In the garage, I have the patch panel and at this point can only assume that it's connected properly to the line coming in from the router

Patch Panel in garage

When I connect to any of the ethernet jacks around the house, I am not getting any signal. 

I am minimally knowledgeable about how networking works and am making the assumption that the wires going into the patch panel correspond with the house locations that are listed.

Wires going into patch panel

So am I wrong in assuming that if the connection from the router to the patch panel works i.e. there is an active signal as my wifi is working correctly, that the ethernet jacks around the house should be working also? 

I'm confused as to what the outlets on the patch panel are actually for. There are a series of other ethernet cords that aren't connected to anything (some are labelled, some are not) yet but they don't seem to correspond to the locations/numbers on the patch panel.

Other Cat 5e (white) at garage networking box

The first suggestion would be to go back to the person that installed it but that's not an option at this point. 

Can someone give me some Networking 101 as to where/how to start troubleshooting the problem of the ethernet jacks not getting a signal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Been in our house for about 6 months now and have the wifi up and running no problem so figuring out the ethernet network hasn't been a priority. Now that I have a little more time on my hands, I figured I would start digging into it and figure out why my ethernet jacks around the house aren't receiving a signal. 

I have my wireless router setup in my living room cabinet and have plugged in the Cat-5e cable that runs to the patch panel (or is it a switch or hub? Can never keep those straight) in the garage

Router to patch panel in LR  

In the garage, I have the patch panel and at this point can only assume that it's connected properly to the line coming in from the router

Patch Panel in garage

When I connect to any of the ethernet jacks around the house, I am not getting any signal. 

I am minimally knowledgeable about how networking works and am making the assumption that the wires going into the patch panel correspond with the house locations that are listed.

Wires going into patch panel

So am I wrong in assuming that if the connection from the router to the patch panel works i.e. there is an active signal as my wifi is working correctly, that the ethernet jacks around the house should be working also? 

I'm confused as to what the outlets on the patch panel are actually for. There are a series of other ethernet cords that aren't connected to anything (some are labelled, some are not) yet but they don't seem to correspond to the locations/numbers on the patch panel.

Other Cat 5e (white) at garage networking box

The first suggestion would be to go back to the person that installed it but that's not an option at this point. 

Can someone give me some Networking 101 as to where/how to start troubleshooting the problem of the ethernet jacks not getting a signal?
I'm not a networking guru, but I think you're going to need a switch, something like this.  I'm sure you can grab one at  your local Best Buy  too.  The ports on your patch panel are not physically connected, and a switch solves this problem for you.  You'll also need to make sure your devices are on the same IP network - which your wireless router will probably handle automatically.

I'm not a networking guru, but I think you're going to need a switch, something like this.  I'm sure you can grab one at  your local Best Buy  too.  The ports on your patch panel are not physically connected, and a switch solves this problem for you.  You'll also need to make sure your devices are on the same IP network - which your wireless router will probably handle automatically.
I guess I'm confused as to where these wires go to.

My assumption is that they are connected to the various ethernet jacks around the house. The patch panel services as the "central HQ" to disperse the internet throughout the house. The line from the router with the active internet connection comes into the patch panel, the panel disperses that internet connection throughout the house. Is that wrong?

And what would be the purpose of the switch?

I guess I'm confused as to where these wires go to.

My assumption is that they are connected to the various ethernet jacks around the house. The patch panel services as the "central HQ" to disperse the internet throughout the house. The line from the router with the active internet connection comes into the patch panel, the panel disperses that internet connection throughout the house. Is that wrong?

And what would be the purpose of the switch?
I think you are right about the cables going to the various ethernet jacks around the house, but the patch panel is not a "central HQ."  It's just where your all the ethernet cables throughout  your house are terminated.  There is no communication going on between the ports on the patch panel, and that's where a swicth come in.  A patch panel is used only for organizing, for neatness. 

The network setup as you describe it would need to be Router-Switch-Panel-JacksAroundHouse.

You really don't need the patch panel though, but you need the switch.  The person that lived there prior probably took the switch with them.

The way to bypass the panel would be to take all the cables off the backside of the panel, cut them down a bit, crimp each one with a rj45 connector, and put them directly into the switch that you need to get.  Hopefully there is some slack on the cables or it might just be better to leave the panel in place.  I just like to minimize fault points.  

Unmanaged switches like the one above are fine.  They will autosense on the ports so there is no need for any configuration.  I just did this at my house where I ran one cable from our office down into the basement where I put a switch.  Then put three more cables into the switch that run to different areas of the basement for TVs.

Also not mentioned above, but necessary, if you purchase a switch, you'll need a ethernet cable for each patch panel port you connect to the switch - which is kind of stating the obvious, but something to have in mind if you run to the store to purchase a switch (or order online).

Also not mentioned above, but necessary, if you purchase a switch, you'll need a ethernet cable for each patch panel port you connect to the switch - which is kind of stating the obvious, but something to have in mind if you run to the store to purchase a switch (or order online).
Plus 1 for the connection to the router.  

Ahhhh, okay. So the cable that runs from the router in the kitchen cabinet terminates at the garage and is most likely one of these and is not connected directly into the patch panel?

The network setup as you describe it would need to be Router-Switch-Panel-JacksAroundHouse.

You really don't need the patch panel though, but you need the switch.  The person that lived there prior probably took the switch with them.

The way to bypass the panel would be to take all the cables off the backside of the panel, cut them down a bit, crimp each one with a rj45 connector, and put them directly into the switch that you need to get.  Hopefully there is some slack on the cables or it might just be better to leave the panel in place.  I just like to minimize fault points.  

Unmanaged switches like the one above are fine.  They will autosense on the ports so there is no need for any configuration.  I just did this at my house where I ran one cable from our office down into the basement where I put a switch.  Then put three more cables into the switch that run to different areas of the basement for TVs.
Got it. So I would be buying an 8-port switch (at least) to accomodate each of the ethernet jacks around the house as indicated by the numbers here?

Your router is a home run back to the patch panel. The rooms home run back to the patch panel. The switch connects them all together. but you will need 1-3' patch cables for each room. 

Put the switch next to the patch panel and patch the cables in. Once the home run from the router is plugged into the switch, to test the switch, plug a computer into one of the other ports of the switch and you should have internet access.

If you can't figure it out., Get a tone detector and trace the cables.

Tone Detector

Plug the RJ45 into the jack in the room and you'll find out it home runs back to the patch panel just as they wrote on the wall.

Ahhhh, okay. So the cable that runs from the router in the kitchen cabinet terminates at the garage and is most likely one of these and is not connected directly into the patch panel?
It's possible that it's one of those or maybe it's not labeled on the panel.  Just get a laptop connected to those random cables and if you get on the internet, then that's your direct cable back to the router.

Got it. So I would be buying an 8-port switch (at least) to accomodate each of the ethernet jacks around the house as indicated by the numbers here?
You're going to need a switch with more than 8 ports if you want all 8 house jacks live since you also need a switch port for the cable back to the router.  You have 9 total cables if everything is labeled properly on the panel, plus the home run to the router.  I'm not sure if they make 10 or 12 port, so you might have to go to 16 port.  Or, think about if you need all 8 of those jacks live.  If you eliminate one you don't think you'll use, you'll be able to get away with an 8 port switch with no room for any expansion.

It's possible that it's one of those or maybe it's not labeled on the panel.  Just get a laptop connected to those random cables and if you get on the internet, then that's your direct cable back to the router.

You're going to need a switch with more than 8 ports if you want all 8 house jacks live since you also need a switch port for the cable back to the router.  You have 9 total cables if everything is labeled properly on the panel, plus the home run to the router.  I'm not sure if they make 10 or 12 port, so you might have to go to 16 port.  Or, think about if you need all 8 of those jacks live.  If you eliminate one you don't think you'll use, you'll be able to get away with an 8 port switch with no room for any expansion.
Router is in kitchen, right? Should be port 1. on that panel. If so, 8 port switch is all you need, and if you need more wired devices in kitchen you still have 3 ports on the back of the router left.

Router is in kitchen, right? Should be port 1. on that panel. If so, 8 port switch is all you need, and if you need more wired devices in kitchen you still have 3 ports on the back of the router left.
First post says living room.

But yes if that cable from the router is one of the 8 labeled on the panel he only needs an 8 port.

First post says living room.

But yes if that cable from the router is one of the 8 labeled on the panel he only needs an 8 port.
Doh. I even went back and looked at the pictures twice and reread the post. I think my brain saw “cabinet” and out kitchen in front of it.

Users who are viewing this thread