What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harvin to Bills/ Formerly the Harvin to Hawks & Jets (4 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Percy Harvin aims to become a true, game-changing outside receiver with the Bills.

"Aside from the first two years I got in the league Ive been just a gadget guy," Harvin said. "Ive been dying to just sit down with that one coach who will tell me what Im doing wrong and what I need to do. Every day [WRs] coach Sanjay [Lal] is coming to me with different techniques I can use. I was dying to get with that coach who would sit with me and want to bring the best out of me. I think this year a lot of people are going to see the end result of it." Unless the Bills found a quarterback that we don't know about, it's hard to see Harvin breaking out as the No. 2 option in what should be a run-heavy, ball-control offense.

Source: buffalobills.com

Jun 26 - 10:36 AM
Head coach Rex Ryan is on board with Lals plan to develop Harvin as a bona fide receiver on the outside. Harvin never had enough time to invest in being an outside threat because he was spending too much practice time elsewhere on the field, be it in the slot or the offensive backfield or on kick return with his previous clubs.

Hes a playmaker and I think Percy now hes just scratching the surface of what kind of outside receiver he can be, said Ryan. Im excited to see how he can elevate his game at that position. Hes extremely talented.
This happened vs the Colts. Teams have always been so obsessed with Harvin's flexibility.
I've watched him since day one in the league, and that is the first time I can remember him taking the top off the defense (successfully). Very promising if Taylor stays serviceable.

Rotoworld:

Percy Harvin - WR - Bills

Bills GM Doug Whaley said he is "not sure" when the team will find out about Percy Harvin's (hip, knees) status.

"We found out early last week that he needed to take some time for personal reasons," Whaley said. "I haven’t been in contact with him. We said we’re gonna focus this week on this game, and then when we get back we’ll reach out to him and see where he is." There have been conflicting reports on if Harvin is contemplating retirement. Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the absence is injury related despite the Bills continuing to claim it is a personal matter. FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the Bills' insistence on using the non-injury designation could be in preparation for a contract dispute.

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo

Oct 24 - 10:46 AM

Rotoworld:

WGR 550's Sal Capaccio reports the Bills have had "positive" communication with Percy Harvin (hip, knee).

Harvin did not travel to London with the team last week, and at one point coach Rex Ryan said he did not know where the receiver was. There have been conflicting reports on if Harvin is considering retirement, but Buffalo's insistence on calling Harvin's absence a "personal" matter indicates something other than the hip and knee injuries are keeping Harvin away. The Bills were off the entire bye week. We should know more once they return to work Monday.

Source: WGR 550 Buffalo

Oct 31 - 9:17 AM

Schefter reporting Harvin has informed the Bills he is retiring. What a weird career for this guy, once thought he was unstoppable on the field.

A player so few could ever admit being wrong about, his talent was just too great and tantalizing for FF

At this point his retirement was more of a whimper than a bang. The guy was electric when he was on the field, but he just couldn't ever stay healthy. A few months ago I started seeing him dropped to the WW in some of my dynasty leagues that have pretty deep rosters, so I presume this retirement announcement almost isn't even "mention worthy" to most dynasty owners. I'd always thought he was one of the most overvalued players in dynasty leagues.....and now it's all over.

A player so few could ever admit being wrong about, his talent was just too great and tantalizing for FF
Yep

I'll always remember thinking I screwed up taking Maclin because I liked the player in college over Percy and Nicks.   Harvin looked like he might be a HOFer at times but he really never put it together. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I always felt Harvin was misused post Minnesota. The guy could absolutely be a star as a WR, but teams got so enamored with his success on gadget plays, that he got pigeonholed. Also didn't help that he got hurt a lot. His KR TD in the Super Bowl was basically the beginning of the end for Denver in 2014. He was also arguably the 2nd most dangerous player on that excellent 2009 Vikings team, that I believe would have absolutely crushed the Colts in the Super Bowl, had they gotten past the bounty Saints. In less important matters, Harvin was a very key cog in my 2011 championship team, so I'll always like him for that reason alone.

I was right. Doesn't happen much, but I nailed it here.
What were you right about, the talent or the head case or the injury proneness?

Honestly, I still don't get what happened. Like travdogg, I had Harvin in 2011 and I think he and Gronk rode me to a championship with a mediocre rest of the team. He was also the #1 WR in PPR in 2012 before he got hurt. I also remember the SB versus Denver when he was absolutely the most explosive guy out there and looked like he was going to take every touch to the house. It was only 4 touches, but he looked electric with the ball in his hands.

Do you think if he had stayed in Minny/didn't get hurt in 2012 that he would have lived up to the potential?

Honestly, I still don't get what happened. Like travdogg, I had Harvin in 2011 and I think he and Gronk rode me to a championship with a mediocre rest of the team. He was also the #1 WR in PPR in 2012 before he got hurt. I also remember the SB versus Denver when he was absolutely the most explosive guy out there and looked like he was going to take every touch to the house. It was only 4 touches, but he looked electric with the ball in his hands.

Do you think if he had stayed in Minny/didn't get hurt in 2012 that he would have lived up to the potential?
I said when he went to Seattle that he wouldn't live up to expectations because his playing style had already caused him to break down. He was destined to be a short timer because he played like a 220lb guy but had a 185lb body.

So, to answer your question, injuries caught up to him quickly.

I don't think he had the head for being a gadget player. If he got a bunch of carries he looked good as a back. If he got a bunch of targets he looked good as a WR. Maybe something like a RB needing so many carries to get rolling. He'd come in and sometimes make a sweet play 'spur of the moment' but all in all, I often didn't think he looked comfy.

The slot was too limiting. I don't think he was a good enough route runner to be a top WR. Once he was established as this top athlete, he got the top CB. At this point, we're talking precise routes and timing with the QB and the QB making throws to him covered relying on him getting it anyway and...I don't think he could do that top tier WR stuff. Any time he wasn't given that huge respect, he'd burn a D over n over, throughout his career, but it kept going to where he was shut down. 

He and Tavon Austin (IMO) should have just been 3rd down backs. 20 years ago, they would have been absolutely loved in the NFL. KC creates this prob with McCluster and now DeAnthony Thomas. Last year did ya see a few of McCluster's plays? A huge block, a sweet catch despite an obvious PI being tackled before, and that long run that was all speed that made ESPN highlights. 

20 years ago, you put Harvin in that role, he'll make David Meggett and Kevin Faulk look ordinary. How are you gonna defense him in your nickel or dime D? Five yards and a couple seconds, he can shake N bake any DB. That he can put his head down and run tough through the line, it'd make 3rd and short interesting. He could have got comfy in a role- a role that would let him catch or run and give him the all important space he needed to "operate."

One thing Titans fans used to whine about, CJ was phenomenal on some 3rd down plays but was often pulled. Same thing, you get speed n wiggle in space. If you go to youtube and check out Dante Hall highlights, there's a dozen or so videos. Look closely, some of his best plays were as a 3rd down back. He rarely ever played it and two of those are from a game where the starter and backup was hurt. 

I completely understand trying to use them anywhere and everywhere. They are supreme athletes. When it doesn't work though, just recreate the 80s 90s 3rd down back role. Give it a few games where he's always in on 3rd, eventually he'll find space to work with and get comfy. Those Pats and Giants teams adored their 3rd down backs and they arguably made bigger plays than their starting backs. It's not a nothing role. 

Bills coach Rex Ryan said Percy Harvin will be "more than a decoy."
Rex added he hoped Harvin's "role can increase" after he played 21 snaps in his first game back. It still remains highly unlikely Harvin develops into a fantasy-viable option in a run-first team after sitting out most of the season. He can be left on the wire in everything but the deepest of leagues.

Source: ESPN 
Nov 14 - 11:46 AM

Users who are viewing this thread