What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harbaugh's ego (1 Viewer)

Former NFL WR Cris Carter called Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh "the most overrated coach in football."

"No creativity after a month of practice," Carter tweeted. This came after Harbaugh and Michigan fell 26-19 to South Carolina in the Outback Bowl on Monday. After the game, South Carolina CB JaMarcus King revealed that the Gamecocks needed just two offensive drives to sniff out what Michigan was doing, as they tended to repeat the routes they were running. This was also something SC picked up in film study during the pre-bowl prep month. When asked after the game if he had coached his last contest with Michigan, Harbaugh said simply, "No." That's not going to stop speculation about a potential jump back to the NFL for the former 49ers head coach.

Source: Chris Carter on Twitter 

Jan 2 - 2:30 PM

Harbaugh seems to have lost that fire that made him great earlier in his career.  He’s going to have to make some major changes to turn that thing around.  I’m not so certain that he isn’t better suited to being an NFL coach 
He's really not good. What you see now is Harbaugh's real coaching ability.

Carter's right. Won't surprise me if he bails on Michigan as a failure and heads back to the NFL but i'll guess that he will cherry pick a good spot to come back to.

Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh wrote an open letter regarding changes he would like to see with the NFL Draft.

Harbaugh comes at the draft from two interesting -- if not wholly unique -- angles. First up, he believes players should be able to declare at whatever age they feel ready, rather than after the mandated three years out of high school currently in place. Second up, he believes that players who go undrafted should be allowed to return to school. We have seen both of these possibilities brought up in the past, but it's encouraging to see a coach of Harbaugh's stature so openly make these proposals. Harbaugh's open letter may not lead immediately to actual, concrete changes, but it gets the topics out there more firmly in the public sphere, if nothing else. 

SOURCE: ESPN.com

May 7, 2020, 3:31 PM ET

Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh said, "There’s no expert view right now that I’m aware of that sports is going to make [COVID-19] worse."

"COVID is part of our society. It wasn’t caused by football or caused by sports," Harbaugh said. And at least on that front, he's right. Sports did not cause the current global pandemic. His comments, though, strike of short-sightedness. The mere act of playing football is just a small part of this equation. From the wider view, football is as much a cultural entity as a sport. Large group gatherings, tailgates, home-viewing parties and the like are an interwoven part of CFB, and those are things that Harbaugh cannot control, that the NCAA cannot control. That's not to say football is impossible for the fall. But Harbaugh's comment that sports won't make COVID-19 worse only looks at the barest, on-field definition of the word "sports." There are other involved factors which could potentially serve as tinder for the virus if people aren't careful. 

SOURCE: Austin Meek on Twitter

Jul 8, 2020, 12:22 PM ET

Jim Harbaugh is receiving plenty of praise after guiding Michigan into the postseason in a year when everyone counted the Wolverines out.

Hardly anyone expected to see the Michigan Wolverines in the postseason -- ESPN FPI gave them quite literally a 0% chance. But none of that matters anymore, as the Wolverines have recorded several statement wins in 2021, preparing to take on Georgia as they seek a national championship appearance. Head coach Jim Harbaugh has been a big part of that effort, guiding his team well and putting them in the best possible position to win week in and week out. It's for those efforts that Harbaugh has been named the PFF Coach of the Year on top of other recognition. Michigan was expected by many to have a ballpark of seven or eight total wins this season. Instead, the Wolverines sit at 12-1.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Dec 9, 2021, 4:05 PM ET

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman reports Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh is considering a return to the NFL. 

Per Feldman, the rumors are coming from "both from the NFL side and at Michigan." Feldman's colleague Nick Baumgardner reports he has heard "similar smoke." Feldman floats the Raiders and Bears as possibilities, all but reporting the Raiders are interested but stopping short of officially saying it. Harbaugh began his coaching career in Oakland and is apparently friends with owner Mark Davis. In some ways, it would be odd timing for Harbaugh to leave Michigan after finally breaking through for a college playoff appearance, though he may feel he has maxed out in a conference utterly dominated by Ohio State. Now 58 years old, he also won't get many more bites at the NFL apple. Harbaugh was an elite coach with the 49ers from 2011-14, but his extremely intense manner seemed to burn out his co-workers at nearly every level of the organization. 

RELATED: 

Las Vegas Raiders

, Chicago Bears

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jan 4, 2022, 4:25 PM ET

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said he will not try to hire Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh after firing Brian Flores. 

"I'm not going to be the person to take Jim Harbaugh from the University of Michigan," was Ross' exact quote. A major Michigan booster, Ross famously tried to hire Harbaugh before he went to the 49ers in 2011. Now he evidently wants the coach to remain at his alma mater. It's a bit surprising, as the Flores firing seemed like the kind the Dolphins may have been making with a replacement already in mind. If Ross is serious, Harbaugh's other main avenue for returning to the NFL is probably the Raiders, but that has been complicated by interim coach Rich Bisaccia's squad stunningly reaching the playoffs. 

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jan 10, 2022, 11:06 AM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Jim Harbaugh has "legitimate interest" in the Vikings head coaching job. 

Fowler said Vikings management came away from their recent interview with Harbaugh feeling he "is ready for a return to the NFL." New Vikings general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has aggressively pursued interviews with a range of head coaching candidates, including Harbaugh, 58, who hasn't coached in the NFL since 2014. The job would seemingly be his if he wants it. With the 49ers, Harbaugh ran a tough-nosed, conservative team predicated on mistake-free football. His hiring could be an extension of the run-oriented, hyper-conservative Mike Zimmer era unless Jim has taken cues from brother John. 

RELATED: 

Minnesota Vikings

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Jan 31, 2022, 9:58 AM ET

Will be shocked in Miami doesn't get in on trying to get him now. Ross didn't want to be the one to take him from Michigan but if he is leaving anyway.

Wouldn’t be a bad hire imo. But from what I’ve read he’s staying in A2. 
It would be a terrible hire.  He is too rigid and too big of ego to coach at the NFL level.  He is ok in short doses which is perfect for college as players leave in under 4 years.  NFL players won't put up with him and it will eventually burst into flames and be terrible.  

It would be a terrible hire.  He is too rigid and too big of ego to coach at the NFL level.  He is ok in short doses which is perfect for college as players leave in under 4 years.  NFL players won't put up with him and it will eventually burst into flames and be terrible.  

^^^^ This ^^^^^

As a Packers fan, however, I'm all for him going to the Vikings and turning it dysfunctional even more than he did the 49ers.  :thumbup:

He's going to make the Vikings into a contender before he crashes and burns. With Rodgers up in the air, the Bears in the middle of a transition and questions at QB, and the Lions having Goff as their QB, the division is ripe for taking. Also, with Brady retiring and the 49ers about to start a QB that looked terrible in limited snaps, the top of the NFC is questionable. I don't think that Kirk Cousins is good enough to lead a team to the Super Bowl, but the only big threats appear to be the Rams and Cowboys. Stafford likes to try and throw games away and the Cowboys have a mediocre HC. 

Jim Harbaugh would have a great shot at a few deep runs in the playoffs before he turns the Vikings into a dumpster fire. 

It was 49er owner Jed York who chose to keep GM Trent Baalke over Harbaugh. Harbaugh had nothing to do with the dysfunction that followed his exit, it was all front office stupidity.
But the Jags hired Baalke to be their GM, he must be one of the top GMs in the league. /s

🤷

^^^^ This ^^^^^

As a Packers fan, however, I'm all for him going to the Vikings and turning it dysfunctional even more than he did the 49ers.  :thumbup:
🤷 

at least it would be fun to watch

He's going to make the Vikings into a contender before he crashes and burns. With Rodgers up in the air, the Bears in the middle of a transition and questions at QB, and the Lions having Goff as their QB, the division is ripe for taking. Also, with Brady retiring and the 49ers about to start a QB that looked terrible in limited snaps, the top of the NFC is questionable. I don't think that Kirk Cousins is good enough to lead a team to the Super Bowl, but the only big threats appear to be the Rams and Cowboys. Stafford likes to try and throw games away and the Cowboys have a mediocre HC. 

Jim Harbaugh would have a great shot at a few deep runs in the playoffs before he turns the Vikings into a dumpster fire. 
This. 

It was 49er owner Jed York who chose to keep GM Trent Baalke over Harbaugh. Harbaugh had nothing to do with the dysfunction that followed his exit, it was all front office stupidity.
i don’t know the full story. Does anyone? But harbaugh seems to be a genuinely decent guy and competent coach. 

I realize it takes two to tango.  In this case, maybe three.  However, reports at the time certainly didn't absolve Harbaugh of adding to that dysfunctionality.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/02/report-jim-harbaughs-act-has-worn-thin-in-the-49ers-locker-room/

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/3/5465588/jim-harbaugh-san-francisco-49ers

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/03/03/rumors-of-locker-room-rift-between-harbaugh-team-growing-louder/

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work, Blade. Memories are colored by what we want them to be. Harbaugh left because he had to.

If the Vikes hire him, I hope he has changed. Nothing I have seen at Michigan says so, but I haven't been watching closely and he has put a very good college team together. Hope springs eternal.

I never heard any player come out and back these reports up after he was gone. That doesn't mean there isn't some truth to them, but while we all know Harbaugh is an egomaniac, I don't think he was the problem in SF at that time.

I mean ... he was 44-19-1 with SF. And went to one Super Bowl and two other NFC Championship games in 4 years.

whoknew said:
I mean ... he was 44-19-1 with SF. And went to one Super Bowl and two other NFC Championship games in 4 years.
Different time and things have changed.  I think he is too rigid for NFL players to respect.  I hope I am wrong if he is the hire.  

Gally said:
:popcorn:

whoknew said:
Posted this in the Vikings thread...Harbaugh deserves some credit but not as much as many think.

1) The team Harbaugh inherited was literally stacked with talent already on the roster on both sides of the ball, including several current and future Pro Bowlers: J. Staley, M. Iupati, P. Willis, N. Bowman, A. Brooks, F. Gore, Ju. Smith, D. Goldson, B. Jennings.

2) Harbaugh's record deteriorated from 13-3 the first year to 8-8 in the fourth year.

3) The 49ers defensive coordinator was Vic Fangio (credit to Harbaugh for the hire, of course but doubtful he was involved beyond that)

TheWolverine.com's Chris Balas reports the Vikings are expected to hire Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach.

This is from a Michigan beat writer rather than a national NFL reporter, so it's not a typical source. However, there is smoke billowing that the Vikings plan to hire Harbaugh as their new commander. Minnesota wrapped up a nine-hour interview with Giants DC Patrick Graham today, but they have a meeting with Harbaugh tomorrow according to MMQB's Albert Breer. Harbaugh is familiar with new Vikings GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah after the two worked together in San Francisco years ago. The 58-year-old Harbaugh appears to be headed back to the NFL after spending the last half-decade with Michigan.

SOURCE: Chris Balas on Twitter

Feb 1, 2022, 7:47 PM ET

Maybe common knowledge to others, but I recently heard that the character of Ted Lasso is loosely based on Harbaugh.

#BELIEVE

JohnnyU said:
His life is complete, he finally beat Ohio St.  Better leave Michigan before another losing streak to OSU begins. 

It is bizarre.  I am a U-M grad and fan.  Most of the people I know don`t care if he comes back or not.

Rumor I heard yesterday from a guy I know close to the program is that the new deal Michigan offered Harbaugh would make him the 4th highest paid in the BIG East and he was miffed.

It is bizarre.  I am a U-M grad and fan.  Most of the people I know don`t care if he comes back or not.

Rumor I heard yesterday from a guy I know close to the program is that the new deal Michigan offered Harbaugh would make him the 4th highest paid in the BIG East and he was miffed.
Amen brother. Same in my circles. Last season was nice but by his willingness to bolt it seems Harbaugh himself is acknowledging it was an anomaly. #goblue

If this is true I think he was right to walk.

This guy I know usually has good info. Another reason is that college football as we know it will not look the same in 2-3 years. Harbaugh might be tired of kissing butt to 16-17 year old kids for 2 years to recruit.

We will see.  Harbaugh won`t say anything though if he leaves.

My feeling is if the Vikings offer he is gone.  And I really don`t care one way or the other.

I posted 3 separate links above in one of my responses.  You'll need to go back a day and look for them.
Ok....basically three articles, but really just a single source. May be true, may not. Like I said, the new Vikings GM was there and just the fact they are even interviewing him tells me he isnt bothered by it. 

Also the latest is a minority owner of the Vikings and Michigan alum doesn't want. Others are bad mouthing Harbaugh to the Wilfs as well. The interview could mean alot in order to convince of a right fit. If as it has been reported Harbaugh was Kwesi's idea, will the Wilfs support their new GM in this decision process?

🤷 there’s no pleasing some people, but Michigan hasn’t been relevant nationally since Carr left, and not exactly a powerhouse since Bo (and that’s using the term loosely). 
Yep. Sorry. Some people actually have high standards. YMMV  :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread