What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hankerson time? (1 Viewer)

No talk on him after a big week and White not even showing up? Thought there would be something? Have him in PPR dynasty for really really cheap and thinking about picking him up for my bench in a redraft PPR.
I just snagged him in a 2 player keeper re-draft league. Hoping for the best, seems like an upgrade to Harry Douglas in all respects and all he needs is an injury to Roddy or Julio to really shine, I would say the odds of one of those guys getting nicked up is pretty high..... I also like the fact that Shanahan brought him over from redskins where he was drafted by the Shanahans in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I didn't see the game. After watching, why is the general feeling Roddy has to go down for him to stay consistant?

He was the 1st or 2nd read on most of those, only a couple were "hurry and avoid a sack" dumps. Looks like they are putting him on the same side as Julio, one deep and one underneath (and they switch). The way those plays are designed, as long as Julio is in there drawing most of the coverage, he is a quick 2nd read on the same side for Ryan.

Just did a trade where the guy asked-for/insisted on Hankerson as part of the minor players returned.

It became his sticking point on doing the trade. Which was fine because I am deep at wr, but he certainly holds some value of note.

I am thinking about starting him this week for the first time after picking him off waivers. I really like the "revenge game" aspect of his first game against Washington should make him very motivated to play well.

But I am concerned about Roddy Whites comments this week. He came out VERY upset about his role (or lack thereof) and was making a big fuss about it. I am more than a little surprised by this, the Falcons are 4-0 and I thought Roddy was a leader who would care more about the team success than personal stats. Naive I guess. ANyway, might the coaching staff call more plays for the squeaky wheel??? If so, that would come at Hankersons expense.

I am thinking about starting him this week for the first time after picking him off waivers. I really like the "revenge game" aspect of his first game against Washington should make him very motivated to play well.

But I am concerned about Roddy Whites comments this week. He came out VERY upset about his role (or lack thereof) and was making a big fuss about it. I am more than a little surprised by this, the Falcons are 4-0 and I thought Roddy was a leader who would care more about the team success than personal stats. Naive I guess. ANyway, might the coaching staff call more plays for the squeaky wheel??? If so, that would come at Hankersons expense.
I think Roddy is just looking out for us FF owners as he as done us all so right over the years... :wall:

My predicament is that I have Julio and haven't had the cajones to start Hank too...

This right where I'm at. Have to think their game plan stays the same.

Anyone rolling Hankerson out with condidence?

Been starting Hank regardless. The #2 WR in Atl has value. He's clearly passed Roddy for targets and snaps now.

Adam Schefter reports Julio Jones is expected to play Sunday versus Washington, but his hamstring problems "are a concern to (the) Falcons."

Following some receptions, Julio has been walking with a noticeable limp back to the huddle since Week 1. The Falcons took a cautious approach in last week's blowout win over the Texans, pulling Julio just a little over halfway through the game. On the season, Julio has quietly only played 73 percent of Atlanta's offensive snaps. He's still the overall WR1 in fantasy through four weeks and the overall WR1 play Sunday versus a depleted Redskins secondary.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Oct 11 - 8:23 AM

As my WR3, absolutely, especially with Julio banged up and the fact he is returning agaist his old team...

This right where I'm at. Have to think their game plan stays the same.

Anyone rolling Hankerson out with condidence?

Rotoworld this morning:

Roddy White - WR - Falcons

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, three teams are "mulling trades" for Roddy White.
White recently expressed frustration with his limited role in the Falcons' passing game but backed off those remarks after meeting with coach Dan Quinn. White is set to make $5 million this season. That could make him difficult to trade unless the Falcons are willing to eat part of his salary, which seems unlikely. White has been the Falcons' fourth-most targeted receiver this year behind Julio Jones, Leonard Hankerson and Devonta Freeman. The trade deadline is October 28.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 11 - 9:06 AM

White leaving would solidify Hankerson's role.
I don't think it's in question either way.
There might be some truth to that but I'm not sure that's a certainty. If White was completely gone though obviously it would be. Didn't Atlanta just say they were going to try and get White the ball more? I thought I read that somewhere......
Placating the vet. I doubt he gets more than what he has been.

I'm debating trading him for Sammy Watkins. My feelings about Hankerson are simple.. he's found himself in a good situation but he's also still just middling talent. I've watched all of his targets since week 2 and he hasn't exactly done anything to change my opinion in that span. I think his absolute nicest play was his last catch, last week, where Ryan was scrambling and he tracked back to the ball to get open, it actually surprised me.

I also think some people assume if Julio went down Hank would see a huge boost but instead I believe he'd just draw coverage he wouldn't be able to beat and ATL would be sunk. It may be time to sell high if possible.

Starting him with subdued confidence in my flex over Joe Randle and Agholor 0.5 ppr.

I like the revenge game aspect as well.

I also think some people assume if Julio went down Hank would see a huge boost but instead I believe he'd just draw coverage he wouldn't be able to beat and ATL would be sunk. It may be time to sell high if possible.
I totally agree with this. If Julio went down, Hankerson would look just like Terrance Williams without Dez. He'd get 6+ targets per game, but he's just not good enough to get open consistently against a #1 CB. There'd be lots of 7 target games with 3 catches for 37 yards.

I'm debating trading him for Sammy Watkins. My feelings about Hankerson are simple.. he's found himself in a good situation but he's also still just middling talent. I've watched all of his targets since week 2 and he hasn't exactly done anything to change my opinion in that span. I think his absolute nicest play was his last catch, last week, where Ryan was scrambling and he tracked back to the ball to get open, it actually surprised me.

I do not see any selling high potential. He is what he is. He is my WR2 in a 14-team league, and I am OK with that.

All about opportunity. Who'd you rather have, the #2 on a top 5 passing team or the #1 on a defense-oriented run team with an ok QB?

Besides, Hankerson is pretty good. Better than a middler, not good enough to be a #1.

Agree on Julio going down. See T. Williams in Dallas. And Hankerson is better than T. Williams, IMO. But that doesn't mean he'd be a huge beneficiary. Hankerson will do better for us when Julio is in, with the occasional stinker, just like all #2s have over the course of a season.

All about opportunity. Who'd you rather have, the #2 on a top 5 passing team or the #1 on a defense-oriented run team with an ok QB?

Besides, Hankerson is pretty good. Better than a middler, not good enough to be a #1.

Agree on Julio going down. See T. Williams in Dallas. And Hankerson is better than T. Williams, IMO. But that doesn't mean he'd be a huge beneficiary. Hankerson will do better for us when Julio is in, with the occasional stinker, just like all #2s have over the course of a season.
I think Watkins and Hankerson will see similar volume going forward and believe Watkins to be more talented, it's that simple for me. Hankerson really isn't that good..like..he can't catch.

I also think some people assume if Julio went down Hank would see a huge boost but instead I believe he'd just draw coverage he wouldn't be able to beat and ATL would be sunk. It may be time to sell high if possi
I do not see any selling high potential. He is what he is. He is my WR2 in a 14-team league, and I am OK with that.
A couple things. In a 14-teamer he's still not a WR2 on PPG basis (35th). More importantly, Shanahan's system has never produced a WR2 in all his years as an OC (I believe this includes his years with Hank). You can argue it's because the talent was never there but again, I don't believe it to be there this year either.

I think Watkins and Hankerson will see similar volume going forward and believe Watkins to be more talented, it's that simple for me. Hankerson really isn't that good..like..he can't catch.

I also think some people assume if Julio went down Hank would see a huge boost but instead I believe he'd just draw coverage he wouldn't be able to beat and ATL would be sunk. It may be time to sell high if possi
A couple things. In a 14-teamer he's still not a WR2 on PPG basis (35th). More importantly, Shanahan's system has never produced a WR2 in all his years as an OC (I believe this includes his years with Hank). You can argue it's because the talent was never there but again, I don't believe it to be there this year either.
Watkins is the superior talent, without question but situation sometimes trumps talent in fantasy. Hankerson will be more consistent in the Falcons offense than Watkins will be in Buffalo.

Reallllllllly wish I had picked up and started Allen Hurns over him. Just don't know how to trust my gut.

He got some red zone targets today even after getting hurt. Ryan missed him on a ~40 yard guaranteed TD, also after he got hurt. He had a decent number of targets. Overall ATL passing O was not sharp today and Hankerson still got good looks. He's going to be fine.

I watched most of the game. He was clearly hurting. Not sure if Ryan overthrew him on that bomb or if he couldn't run fast enough to get under it.

Rib injuries can be tricky because you can play through them and still be limited, like Hank was today. It's worth pointing out though that even with him being limited, White did nothing.

He got some red zone targets today even after getting hurt. Ryan missed him on a ~40 yard guaranteed TD, also after he got hurt. He had a decent number of targets. Overall ATL passing O was not sharp today and Hankerson still got good looks. He's going to be fine.
He only had 4 targets. Yes, Ryan shouldve hit him for that long TD, but he was tied for 4th on the team with 4 targets - with White and Nick Williams.

Tough to roll this guy out on a Thursday, especially after last week. But I think this might be a high-scoring game against the Saints, and he'll get a piece.

He only had 4 targets. Yes, Ryan shouldve hit him for that long TD, but he was tied for 4th on the team with 4 targets - with White and Nick Williams.
How much of the game did he miss?

How much of the game did he miss?
He only played on 49% of the snaps.

I might drop him after TNF depending on who I grab off the WW tonight and how he performs. My problem with Hank, as always, is that I just don't think he's very good.

LittlePhatty said:
Tough to roll this guy out on a Thursday, especially after last week. But I think this might be a high-scoring game against the Saints, and he'll get a piece.
I'll play him only if Julio sits. Otherwise can't deal with sitting on a low score until Sunday.

Odd weeks Hankerson lays eggs. Even weeks he goes off. This is upcoming week is even. I'm rolling the dice. You have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky? Well do you?

LittlePhatty said:
I'll play him only if Julio sits. Otherwise can't deal with sitting on a low score until Sunday.
Hank is only startable if Julio plays and draws coverage. I think there's a pretty good chance Julio suits up as a decoy this Thursday however.

Odd weeks Hankerson lays eggs. Even weeks he goes off. This is upcoming week is even. I'm rolling the dice. You have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky? Well do you?
After last Sunday and on a short week I'm only starting Hankerson if Julio sits. Not gonna take the chance of another dog game and will live with the consequences if he blows up on my bench again.

I did really well in Waivers picking up C West for my flex. At the moment have Hankerson benched. Who is rolling with him tonight and over whom?? And why? I'm still waffling...

I thought he missed a quarter at most (started 2nd half), but dont quote me on that
he did, after his return there was a long bomb for a TD he got open by at least two steps ahead of the defender into the end zone and Ryan overthrew him to the back of the end zone out of bounds. similar overthrow later in the game on a mid-route, but that one might have been just a throw away for Ryan. He didn't look like he was struggling when he came back to the game. starting him with confidence. by that i mean i have bye week issues and he's the best option i got.

Users who are viewing this thread