What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Group YouTube Highlight Review (1 Viewer)

ConstruxBoy

Kate's Daddy
OK, not sure if this will work or not, but I've been wanting to try it and lately I've seen people quote highlight times in discussions of the RBs this year, so let's see if we can find some common ground.

I'll post a YouTube video, in this case of CJ Spiller, and break down the first couple of plays as well as possible given the format. Then other posters can break down the same couple of plays the way they see it. Hopefully this leads to some good discussion.

NOTE - I am not saying that YouTube highlights are the best way to scout prospects. Seeing their bad runs, fumbles, fakes and pass pro plays in full game tape is much better. But YouTube is much easier to share on a message board.

The video is

. It has some extraneous stuff at the beginning, so bear with it. The first real play starts at 1:04. Play 1 - 1.04 - Against Boston College - Clemson 18 yard line

Spiller runs out to the right sideline at the snap and catches a pass. He runs up the sideline for a bit and then cuts it back across the field to go all the way for the TD.

Can't tell how easily he catch it because he's behind the ESPN graphic, LOL. But he makes a smooth transition up field. Beats a defender up the sideline at 1:12. Gears down at 1:13 for a cut, really too much almost standing straight up at the end, although he does make the defender miss. Transitions his weight forward well and gets back up to speed quickly. Makes a real nice juke to the right at 1:15 that is done without gearing down and gets by another defender. Does a good job at 1:16 with long vision and seeing more space to the left (although to be fair, the sideline limits where he can go, LOL). Makes another nice juke right and then an ole move to the left to get by a defender at 1:17, gearing down a little bit, but not really too much as I think it helped sell the juke. Almost gets run over by a OL coming down field at 1:19, but gets back up to speed quickly and out runs everyone to the end zone.

Play 2 - 1:31 - Against Wake Forest - Clemson 28 yard line

Spiller takes a hand off on a play designed to go off right tackle, goes through the hole, bounces by a defender and then out runs everyone down the right sideline for a TD.

He takes the hand off and goes right toward the designed hole. He seems to stutter step a bit at 1:36 as though checking his options, but he doesn't slow down enough to miss the hole. He gets through the hole and into the second level and then plants his left leg at 1:37 before lowering his shoulder as a defender tries to tackle him from the left front. He manages to avoid the tackle with minimal contact, regain his balance and get back up to speed quickly. He turns on the jets and out runs a defender that seems to have an angle for the TD. One thing I can't tell from the video is whether Spiller intended to fake the defender at the second level with the left leg plant or whether he did that because he was thinking of going that way. Either way, he ran by a tackle (I wouldn't call that running through a tackle) and scored. One note is that the WR (Ford?) is coming around on a reverse run so there is some misdirection on the play. But it looks like it really only fooled one defender.

Play 3 - 1:56 - Against Georgia Tech - 50 yard line

Spiller takes the hand off, runs through a hole up the middle, and isn't touched as he goes for the TD.

Spiller takes the hand off and heads right up the middle. At 1:58 it looks like he considers going right but plants his foot and goes left with very little gear down. Then he just circles around a couple of defenders a little bit while getting up to speed and is gone. Not a ton to say about this one other than it is up the middle. He has a nice hole but I think he shows good vision here by heading left a little and then curling back toward the center of the field so the CB can't quite get there. Not much in the way of power or moves here, just some nice vision and pure speed.

So anyway, there are the first three plays. So I'm hoping some other people can break those down or just tell us what else you saw in them or where you agreed or disagreed with my take.

Thanks!

Just a few quick things... I'm a Clemson alum and watched every game of his career.

On those 3 highlights, we was a true freshman in all 3. In fact, the BC play you mentioned was his first road game and first D1 game (2nd game overall). It was early in the game and really the first time any of us knew we had something special (we all knew he was a top 10 overall recruit, but until they play you never know).

You mentioned: "Can't tell how easily he catch it because he's behind the ESPN graphic, LOL." I can promise you that there is not a single RB with better hands than Spiller coming out this year. He catches everything away from the body and fluidly. He had the best hands on the team (including WRs) for the past 4 years and I suspect his hands are up there with anyone in the draft regardless of position. Something that wasn't really publicized about the combine were his hand measurements. Spiller was one of two RBs with a hand measurement over 10 inches and of all the RBs and WRs there, only 2 had bigger hands (Demaryius Thomas and Riley Cooper). I mention that to say, he can catch.

The only thing I could ever knock on him was his inside running but he improved that his senior year by a large margin.

--

I traded for 1.01 awhile back and fully intend on taking him. Homer or not, I think he's the best skill position player in the draft.

every time i watch this kid the game seems like it's is in fast forward, yet he's the only one moving in fast forward... he makes everyone else look slow out there and not just his break away speed. his ability to change directions without losing speed is insane and you rarely see him hesitate if theres any sign of a hole or a crack for that matter. i'm having a hard time finding any negatives on him atm... after the combine i was beginning to lean towards mathews as the "safer" bet as my #1 RB but the tape on this kid is making a VERY convincing case that "safe" may not be the way to go this year.

i n s a n e. :confused:

Play 1: Can't see the catch, but he turns upfield nicely. He doesn't seem prescient about a possible tackler when catching the ball either, I don't know if that's just from being disciplined about catching the ball first or his vision, but it's good. One thing I disliked is when he engages the tackler and its decision time he took an extra step or two. I don't know if comparing him to Reggie Bush or Percy Harvin is accurate or fair, but I am and I don't recall seeing them take extra steps like that. It seemed the top guys like this plant a foot and blast through to the new angle.

Play 2: More little steps. Maybe I'm making too much out of that, I don't know. I don't know how he broke that tackle with this ole move, but he did. Destroyed the angle that the DB made, but then it's against Wake. I don't know how fast/smart that DB is.

Play 3: Looked like he changed directions twice there in about a quarter of a second, nice! It took good vision to make that those moves and decisions he made, especially for an inside run. He got up to top speed in two strides too. That's pretty good work. His speed is evident on this play.

Play 1: Can't see the catch, but he turns upfield nicely. He doesn't seem prescient about a possible tackler when catching the ball either, I don't know if that's just from being disciplined about catching the ball first or his vision, but it's good. One thing I disliked is when he engages the tackler and its decision time he took an extra step or two. I don't know if comparing him to Reggie Bush or Percy Harvin is accurate or fair, but I am and I don't recall seeing them take extra steps like that. It seemed the top guys like this plant a foot and blast through to the new angle.Play 2: More little steps. Maybe I'm making too much out of that, I don't know. I don't know how he broke that tackle with this ole move, but he did. Destroyed the angle that the DB made, but then it's against Wake. I don't know how fast/smart that DB is.Play 3: Looked like he changed directions twice there in about a quarter of a second, nice! It took good vision to make that those moves and decisions he made, especially for an inside run. He got up to top speed in two strides too. That's pretty good work. His speed is evident on this play.
Thanks!Yeah, he does take some extra steps some times and although in general that's not great, I think it does help set up some of his moves. He's not as smooth in his cuts as someone like Johnson or even Best, but I think the gear down sometimes helps him fool the defender and I think he has enough quickness when he gears back up that it doesn't hinder him that much.

I detest those purple uni's....makes them looks like a bunch of grape gatorade bottles running around.

Play 1: Can't see the catch, but he turns upfield nicely. He doesn't seem prescient about a possible tackler when catching the ball either, I don't know if that's just from being disciplined about catching the ball first or his vision, but it's good. One thing I disliked is when he engages the tackler and its decision time he took an extra step or two. I don't know if comparing him to Reggie Bush or Percy Harvin is accurate or fair, but I am and I don't recall seeing them take extra steps like that. It seemed the top guys like this plant a foot and blast through to the new angle.Play 2: More little steps. Maybe I'm making too much out of that, I don't know. I don't know how he broke that tackle with this ole move, but he did. Destroyed the angle that the DB made, but then it's against Wake. I don't know how fast/smart that DB is.Play 3: Looked like he changed directions twice there in about a quarter of a second, nice! It took good vision to make that those moves and decisions he made, especially for an inside run. He got up to top speed in two strides too. That's pretty good work. His speed is evident on this play.
Thanks!Yeah, he does take some extra steps some times and although in general that's not great, I think it does help set up some of his moves. He's not as smooth in his cuts as someone like Johnson or even Best, but I think the gear down sometimes helps him fool the defender and I think he has enough quickness when he gears back up that it doesn't hinder him that much.
Yeah, I'm probably making too big of a deal about it. I don't think he's going to be able to do that in the NFL though. My opinion would be different if he were toying with the defenders, but I fear he's putting 100% effort into those moves, so it may be habitual, which could make him a dancer in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread