What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza - Whoa oh ohhh, Listen to the music (1 Viewer)

Seems like you could make it post-2010 pop music or something like that, and be more like a genre than a category.  But it's cool, all's fair, I see how it's good to allow some wiggle room, and it should all shake out fine anyway

I'm OK w/ recent top 5 hits.  There's objective criteria and the picks in aggregate will probably have an identifiable sound

Seems like you could make it post-2010 pop music or something like that, and be more like a genre than a category.  But it's cool, all's fair, I see how it's good to allow some wiggle room, and it should all shake out fine anyway
If it's a top 5 hit, it's going to be pop music anyway.

That said, I think a lot of this crew will avoid Tim's category when it comes up.
I would have avoided it too to be honest. But my daughters (16 and 14) have forced me to listen to hours of it in the car, and you know what? Most of it's crap, but some of it is really quite good. The song I selected sounds like Earth, Wind, and Fire in their prime, and that's about as good as pop music gets IMO.

I would have avoided it too to be honest. But my daughters (16 and 14) have forced me to listen to hours of it in the car, and you know what? Most of it's crap, but some of it is really quite good. The song I selected sounds like Earth, Wind, and Fire in their prime, and that's about as good as pop music gets IMO.
The way Billboard calculates the pop charts nowadays is pretty flawed.  My daughter is older than yours but is a big fan of Ed Sheeran.  His latest album held nine of the spots in the top ten during a recent week.

I love how tim turns out to be this accidental fan of Maroon 5 - a band I've been following for about 20 years  :lol:  
Can't call myself a fan, AA- accidental or otherwise. I just love that song. 

I kind of like an old song of theirs, "She Will Be Loved"- but I don't know them all that well. My wife liked "The Voice" and I guess that guy was on it. That's the extent of my knowledge. 

Can't call myself a fan, AA- accidental or otherwise. I just love that song. 

I kind of like an old song of theirs, "She Will Be Loved"- but I don't know them all that well. My wife liked "The Voice" and I guess that guy was on it. That's the extent of my knowledge. 
I see.  Yes, "She Will Be Loved" is arguably their best (popular) song along with "This Love."  Adam Levine has been a coach on The Voice for about six continuous years. 

timschochet said:
They're a solid band for sure. My nieces (7, 4 and 3 years old) overplayed this song quite bit too and I grew to enjoy their music. 

Eephus said:
That said, I think a lot of this crew will avoid Tim's category when it comes up.
I try to avoid Tim in general, but hats off to the (unfortunately weak) attempt to drag us into current music.

So this is categorapalooza not genrepalooza? Categories can be made up. Genres cannot. I was going for EDM and surprised it went first!? Um... 

Might be too late anyway, but I'll have to sit this one out - thanks for the invite.

Actually working sucks.

I try to avoid Tim in general, but hats off to the (unfortunately weak) attempt to drag us into current music.

So this is categorapalooza not genrepalooza? Categories can be made up. Genres cannot. I was going for EDM and surprised it went first!? Um... 
I think you can take any category and make it a genre.  I originally started with just Live Tracks, then changed it to Live Rock Tracks to add the genre in.  

That song popped into my head and has been going through it for days.  

That song popped into my head and has been going through it for days.  
Too much gunfire has left me with permanent tinnitus. EDM is the the best musical mask (not as good as playing a rainstorm or white noise) and it helps me focus. I hope the category comes up a few times. I'm taking a bunch of just graduated high school kids to EDC in six weeks. That's probably a mistake.

Too much gunfire has left me with permanent tinnitus. EDM is the the best musical mask (not as good as playing a rainstorm or white noise) and it helps me focus. I hope the category comes up a few times. I'm taking a bunch of just graduated high school kids to EDC in six weeks. That's probably a mistake.
Wow. Sorry to hear about the gunfire and tinnitus. Is EDC the one in Vegas? The woman who cuts my hair is into EDM and goes every year.  

Wow. Sorry to hear about the gunfire and tinnitus. Is EDC the one in Vegas? The woman who cuts my hair is into EDM and goes every year.  
Yes. It's June 16-18 and we're there for the last two days. And I said that wrong. I am not taking the graduates. They are taking me. ha

This could go back as far as some of Giorgio Moroder's disco productions from the 70s.  A lot of 80s synthpop would qualify as well.
And dub, too, plus others I won't spotlight. If you want to stick with techno and house as the category, I'm cool with that.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Ok, I'm mostly going to be on my phone. 

The category is Riot Grrl, but defined broadly as to include any song that is, at least, female fronted and kicks ###. It doesn't have to be a band featured in an unreadable 'zine in 1995. 

First pick is Sleater Kinney -- Turn it On
Just listened to this. Should be a fun genre to explore. 

For the Tim category, it might be good to open things up a bit.  It's currently posted as after 2010 which I interpret as 2011-present.  There are only about 25-30 qualifying songs that made the top 5 each year so the absolute pool is probably somewhere short of 200 songs, many of which people would consider to be undraftable.

Either top ten from 2011-present or top five from 2000-present would be an improvement IMO.

The category is Riot Grrl, but defined broadly as to include any song that is, at least, female fronted and kicks ###. It doesn't have to be a band featured in an unreadable 'zine in 1995. 
oh god yes

First pick is Sleater Kinney -- Turn it On
Show us your riffs.

For the Tim category, it might be good to open things up a bit.  It's currently posted as after 2010 which I interpret as 2011-present.  There are only about 25-30 qualifying songs that made the top 5 each year so the absolute pool is probably somewhere short of 200 songs, many of which people would consider to be undraftable.

Either top ten from 2011-present or top five from 2000-present would be an improvement IMO.
Top 10 then. Keep it up to date. 

Users who are viewing this thread