What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gambling supsensions (1 Viewer)

Taking a purely selfish approach, I hope this affects only players on other teams in my legs and not my own teams that I’ve worked so hard to build.

I know, I know… I’m not very altruistic like that. There’s one team in each league in particular that I hope it affects more than anyone. Lol.

Last edited:
Taking a purely selfish approach, I hope this affects only players on other teams in my legs and not my own teams that I’ve worked so hard to build.

I know, I know… I’m not very altruistic like that. There’s one team in each league in particular that I hope it affect more than anyone. Lol.
Frankly I hope all of my players are suspended and no one else's 😇 Give me ALLLL the morality points! I will murder for those points if I have to!!

What did they think would happen when DraftKings/FanDuel got involved?
That adults could have some self-control?

I mean, there are beer ads on every major sport, its still the players fault if they get too drunk to play or whatever. Maybe not the perfect analogy, but I don't think the NFL has any blame here. These are adults making decisions they know they shouldn't be. No victims here.

I mean, there are beer ads on every major sport, its still the players fault if they get too drunk to play or whatever. Maybe not the perfect analogy, but I don't think the NFL has any blame here. These are adults making decisions they know they shouldn't be. No victims here.

It's way more than just a 'beer ad'. No pregame/haltime/postgame show is cracking a beer and talking about how good and fun it is. Having the panel pull up the fanduel number for over under of someone's yards and then discussing the betting is gross and has overtaken the sport imo.

It doesn't matter if you (or I) like the rule or think it's necessary. This isn't the government. We don't have votes. If the league says (in agreement with the NFLPA) and your contract that as you are playing our game for millions. If you bet on sports from team facility grounds you are going to be suspended. Don't do it. Go down the street a quarter mile. Ridiculous.

The geolocation piece seems a bit tacky to me. A player places a non-NFL bet in the parking lot of his training facility and its a 6 game ban but if he drives a quarter mile down the road and does it, its no infraction.

Not being able to gamble while at your place of employment is pretty basic stuff. Maybe you could say it's a technicality that they could drive down the road (not sure what the rules are on that), but it's a pretty simple rule. I don't necessarily agree with all the rules I have to follow at work either.

Its no different than the weed arguments from years. You can say what you will about how dumb it is, how it doesnt enhance performance, etc, but they all know the rules.

The geolocation piece seems a bit tacky to me. A player places a non-NFL bet in the parking lot of his training facility and its a 6 game ban but if he drives a quarter mile down the road and does it, its no infraction.

Not being able to do some of the things on company property that you can do in your own home isn't exactly a new thing.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld where George is hooking-up with the Cleaning Lady:

Not being able to do some of the things on company property that you can do in your own home isn't exactly a new thing.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld where George is hooking-up with the Cleaning Lady:

Should I not have done that?

As a gov't employee you probably no the deal better than anyone else.

It may be tacky but it actually has a purpose. Theoretically a player can get some insider information and place a bet based on that right before game time (yes I know they could just say don't bet on your sport). It's harder to do that if you have to drive down the road to a gas station to be off premises with that late insider info.

Yes, I also know they could call a buddy to that sort of thing as well. But in the end they are trying to make it slightly more difficult and keep the idea of being on the up and up.

It's way more than just a 'beer ad'. No pregame/haltime/postgame show is cracking a beer and talking about how good and fun it is. Having the panel pull up the fanduel number for over under of someone's yards and then discussing the betting is gross and has overtaken the sport imo.
I admittedly rarely pay attention to halftime or pregame shows, but are, say Jimmy Johnson, or Boomer Esiason telling the viewers to bet the farm on the Chiefs -6 or whatever, like some football version of Jim Cramer? I have seen some picks against the spread segments, especially on FOX, but never outright talking actual betting strategy, just the same info you'd get from ad copy.

Even if they are, and I missed it, that's zero excuse for the players to be engaging in it.

It may be tacky but it actually has a purpose. Theoretically a player can get some insider information and place a bet based on that right before game time (yes I know they could just say don't bet on your sport). It's harder to do that if you have to drive down the road to a gas station to be off premises with that late insider info.

Yes, I also know they could call a buddy to that sort of thing as well. But in the end they are trying to make it slightly more difficult and keep the idea of being on the up and up.
They aren't allowed to bet on their sport.
It's pretty obviously a dumb rule to suspend because they place a bet on their phone in the wrong location.

It's pretty obviously a dumb rule to suspend because they place a bet on their phone in the wrong location.
No argument here. Just offering a possible reason behind it. If you can't bet on site for anything it is another layer of discouraging betting on your own sport when you get some juicy info about the current game.

No argument here. Just offering a possible reason behind it. If you can't bet on site for anything it is another layer of discouraging betting on your own sport when you get some juicy info about the current game.
There's betting limits. It's not like they can bet a million bucks on their phone. Probably a grand or two.
At that point, who cares. They are betting pennies

There's betting limits. It's not like they can bet a million bucks on their phone. Probably a grand or two.
Why does the amount change anything?

Seems obvious. I don't feel like explaining it

I admittedly rarely pay attention to halftime or pregame shows, but are, say Jimmy Johnson, or Boomer Esiason telling the viewers to bet the farm on the Chiefs -6 or whatever, like some football version of Jim Cramer? I have seen some picks against the spread segments, especially on FOX, but never outright talking actual betting strategy, just the same info you'd get from ad copy.

Even if they are, and I missed it, that's zero excuse for the players to be engaging in it.

I think its reasonable for someone to acknowledge the rules for players are simple and easy to follow, while at the same time be critical of the NFL for its blatant hypocrisy in prohibiting its employees from legal conduct that the NFL itself promotes and profits from.

Suspensions suck for everyone. Wish the league would find other ways to punish players then removing them from the game. That's just not good for anyone, the league and their broadcast partners included.

I think its reasonable for someone to acknowledge the rules for players are simple and easy to follow, while at the same time be critical of the NFL for its blatant hypocrisy in prohibiting its employees from legal conduct that the NFL itself promotes and profits from.
The NFL could ban players from saying words that start with the letter m in their facilities for all I care. It doesn't have to make sense, it's their business, literally and figuratively.

I mean, I guess one could. I'm not sure I would call it hypocrisy though. Just different rules for different people.

You can't gamble on NFL properties. You are either gambling or you are not. The amount is irrelevant.

You can't gamble on NFL properties. You are either gambling or you are not. The amount is irrelevant.
You were talking about last minute juicy info. The info is less juicy when you can only bet like 50 bucks on a prop

The NFL could ban players from saying words that start with the letter m in their facilities for all I care. It doesn't have to make sense, it's their business, literally and figuratively.
The Lions wish the NFL had implemented this rule a long time ago . . .

Matt Patricia
Rod Marinelli
Steve Mariucci
Marty Mornhinweg
Gary Moeller
Monte Clark
Matt Millen
Martin Mayhew

Suspensions suck for everyone. Wish the league would find other ways to punish players then removing them from the game. That's just not good for anyone, the league and their broadcast partners included.
This way instead of practicing and playing they have more time to sit back and think about what bet to make next.

Of course it doesn't have to make sense. But if the ban is hypocritical nonsense, then we get to criticize it as such on internet message boards.

Exactly. The NFL has embraced gambling and owes a lot of its popularity to fantasy and wagering. To turn around and punish its players for participating is very hypocritical.
Well, Bud makes beer, but chances are everyone isn't allowed to booze up on the job.
That said, it seems stupid to allow them to bet on sports but not at the facility. Either say no sports gambling or just make it fine anywhere, just not your sport.

I mean, I guess one could. I'm not sure I would call it hypocrisy though. Just different rules for different people.

It is hypocritical in that the stated objective of the NFL gambling policy is this:

The NFL is strongly committed to maintaining the integrity of the NFL, its games, Clubs, players, coaches, and other League and Club personnel. Gambling, particularly on NFL games or other sports, presents potential risks to the integrity of our competition and can negatively impact team cohesion. We therefore owe it to our fans and everyone associated with our League to take all appropriate steps to safeguard our game against possible threats from illegal gambling as well as gambling in a legal, regulated context

At the same time, the NFL made over $2bln (estimated) last season due to its association with gambling sponsors. Sportsbooks are now allowed inside NFL stadiums and there's a franchise based in Las Vegas. The recently-banned players were stupid for sure and are suffering severe financial consequences - even the two who did not bet on NFL games. That's hypocrisy.

It is hypocritical in that the stated objective of the NFL gambling policy is this:

The NFL is strongly committed to maintaining the integrity of the NFL, its games, Clubs, players, coaches, and other League and Club personnel. Gambling, particularly on NFL games or other sports, presents potential risks to the integrity of our competition and can negatively impact team cohesion. We therefore owe it to our fans and everyone associated with our League to take all appropriate steps to safeguard our game against possible threats from illegal gambling as well as gambling in a legal, regulated context

At the same time, the NFL made over $2bln (estimated) last season due to its association with gambling sponsors. Sportsbooks are now allowed inside NFL stadiums and there's a franchise based in Las Vegas. The recently-banned players were stupid for sure and are suffering severe financial consequences - even the two who did not bet on NFL games. That's hypocrisy.
I'm still not seeing the hypocrisy. That money goes back to the teams/players in the form of the raising salary cap does it not?

Hypocrisy would be if Patrick Mahomes got caught and he was deemed too important to suspend, whereas Jameson Williams isn't. Its not hypocritical to not let NFL players gamble in my opinion.

As a gov't employee you probably no the deal better than anyone else.
Yeah, I get it, but sportsbooks aren't reporting my locations to the government... Yet

Eta: there are also some nuances with what an employee can do on a government facility while on or off the clock. I don't know if/how that applies to the player's situations.

Last edited:
They could be good for the practice squad players who now get called up!

My son had to leave his phone in the car and couldn’t have any shared tracking software running on it. Also had to file an intinary when he went on his honeymoon. Condition of employment. Don’t want to follow the rules then work elsewhere

Not a good analogy. Many of the players likely drink regularly. They just do it at times and in ways that (usually) won't harm their play. I am guessing most of the players who bet, were betting on other sports and weren't hindering their play either.

Users who are viewing this thread