What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Future Pro Football Hall of Famers ... players that I would vote in (1 Viewer)

N Zone

Footballguy
Hey, I'm new here. I've been following NFL football closely since about 1981.

First, congratulations to the 2010 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class:

Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, John Randle, Rickey Jackson, Russ Grimm, and Senior members Floyd Little and D!ck LeBeau.

The 2010 Hall of Fame induction ceremony coverage begins at 6:00 PM Central Time tommorrow night (August 7th, 2010) from Canton, Ohio.

Now, to my future HOF list. Below is my list of players with first year in the NFL of '98 or earlier (including first NFL year followed by name) that I would vote into the Pro Football Hall of Fame if I had a vote:

98 KURT WARNER

98 ALAN FANECA

98 RANDY MOSS

98 PEYTON MANNING

98 CHARLES WOODSON

97 ORLANDO PACE

97 TONY GONZALEZ

97 JASON TAYLOR

97 WALTER JONES

97 RODNEY HARRISON

96 BRIAN DAWKINS

96 TERRELL OWENS

96 MARVIN HARRISON

96 JONATHAN OGDEN

96 ZACH THOMAS

96 RAY LEWIS

95 TONY BOSELLI

95 DERRICK BROOKS

95 WARREN SAPP

95 TERRELL DAVIS

95 CURTIS MARTIN

94 KEVIN MAWAE

94 LARRY ALLEN

94 MARSHALL FAULK

94 ISAAC BRUCE

93 JEROME BETTIS

93 JOHN LYNCH

93 WILL SHIELDS

93 WILLIE ROAF

93 MICHAEL STRAHAN

91 BRETT FAVRE

90 JUNIOR SEAU

90 SHANNON SHARPE

90 CORTEZ KENNEDY

89 DEION SANDERS

89 STEVE ATWATER

88 DERMONTTI DAWSON

88 STERLING SHARPE

88 TIM BROWN

88 CHRIS CARTER

87 BO JACKSON

86 CHARLES HALEY

86 HERSCHEL WALKER

85 KEVIN GREENE

85 CHRIS DOLEMAN

85 ANDRE REED

83 RICHARD DENT

83 ROGER CRAIG

A handful of guys from the above list had short careers due to injury but I feel that their superior play and contribution to the game was HOF worthy.

My list is based on having watched them play, statistics, big games including playoff and Super Bowl performances (if applicable), number of All Pro year awards and Pro Bowls to a lesser extent. I included Herschel Walker because of his big name = fame, ability, huge year with the Cowboys and other quality years and USFL stats which are outstanding.

Interested to hear all of your comments and maybe we can get a discussion started about some of these players, or others if you like. Or feel free to discuss anything about the HOF voting process.

The best website to look up NFL players stats and awards as many of you already know is at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/. Just type in the players name you'd like to look up in the upper right "search" section after clicking that link.

Last edited by a moderator:
98 KURT WARNER98 ALAN FANECA 98 RANDY MOSS 98 PEYTON MANNING 98 CHARLES WOODSON 97 ORLANDO PACE 97 TONY GONZALEZ 97 JASON TAYLOR 97 WALTER JONES 97 RODNEY HARRISON 96 BRIAN DAWKINS 96 TERRELL OWENS 96 MARVIN HARRISON 96 JONATHAN OGDEN 96 ZACH THOMAS 96 RAY LEWIS 95 TONY BOSELLI 95 DERRICK BROOKS 95 WARREN SAPP 95 TERRELL DAVIS 95 CURTIS MARTIN 94 KEVIN MAWAE 94 LARRY ALLEN 94 MARSHALL FAULK 94 ISAAC BRUCE 93 JEROME BETTIS 93 JOHN LYNCH 93 WILL SHIELDS 93 WILLIE ROAF 93 MICHAEL STRAHAN 91 BRETT FAVRE 90 JUNIOR SEAU 90 SHANNON SHARPE 90 CORTEZ KENNEDY89 DEION SANDERS89 STEVE ATWATER 88 DERMONTTI DAWSON 88 STERLING SHARPE 88 TIM BROWN 88 CHRIS CARTER 87 BO JACKSON 86 CHARLES HALEY86 HERSCHEL WALKER 85 KEVIN GREENE85 CHRIS DOLEMAN85 ANDRE REED 83 RICHARD DENT 83 ROGER CRAIG
74 Randy Gradishar

Welcome. You mention that you are new, so you should know that there are entire threads devoted to some of the players on your list and quite a few threads about this general topic. You might find it interesting to use the Search function and read through some of those. Here are some examples:

Who Will Be In the Next 10 HOF Classes?, Non Senior/Old Timer Nominees

Current Players, Chance to make Hall of Fame

SI's top 10 Non-Hall of Famers, Who do you think should be in?

Herschel Walker, PRO FOOTBALL HOF Candidate?

John Lynch set to retire on Monday...one of the all time greats

Your list is pretty solid IMO. I disagree with these guys:

95 TONY BOSELLI

95 TERRELL DAVIS

93 JOHN LYNCH

88 STERLING SHARPE

87 BO JACKSON

86 CHARLES HALEY

86 HERSCHEL WALKER

85 KEVIN GREENE

83 ROGER CRAIG

I posted my reasons for most of them in other threads. There are others on your list who are bubble candidates, but IMO these guys are definitely undeserving.

You mentioned PFR, so you may already know that the PFR blog has plenty of old posts about HOF candidates.

Also, since you mentioned it, the HOF does not count USFL stats (or CFL stats, etc.). So those don't help Walker.

Thanks for the information, Just Win Baby.

I did do a search but only looked at the first few topics that came up and obviously didn't look deep enough. And wanted to start a new topic to get a fresh new look for 2010 as we now no longer need to discuss players from the 2010 HOF class. I haven't read too much at Pro Football Reference, but might have seen and read a thread or two there just when searching the internet about HOF discussions. I'll have to take a look again.

I agree with you on the players you listed in that I think they have an uphill battle and a less than 50% chance of getting in. It's more of a list of who I feel should be in, disregarding the current way the HOF selects. I would like to see players get in who had careers cut short by injury if they were considered the best at their position and went out at the height of their career. Especially Sterling Sharpe because of his record setting seasons and number of 1st team All-Pro Selections in such a short time and based on what he did on the field...an absolutely spectacular and most productive wide receiver in his time. I'd say he was at Jerry Rice level and above at least one year. And I think Terrell Davis deserves to get in. Maybe they will eventually, possibly as Senior candidates way down the road.

I'll look at what you wrote in those links when I get some time.

Good List.

As Just Win Baby stated, we've discussed this one many times. And except for Charles Haley, I agree with JWB's list of non-candidates. Haley should have been in several years ago.

There is one currently active player that is a lock for the HOF that you haven't listed. And surprise, he's a kicker.

Adam Vinatieri .

Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, John Randle, Rickey Jackson, Russ Grimm, and Senior members Floyd Little and D!ck LeBeau.

The 2010 Hall of Fame induction ceremony coverage begins at 6:00 PM Central Time tommorrow night (August 7th, 2010) from Canton, Ohio.

Now, to my future HOF list. Below is my list of players with first year in the NFL of '98 or earlier (including first NFL year followed by name) that I would vote into the Pro Football Hall of Fame if I had a vote:

98 KURT WARNER

98 ALAN FANECA

98 RANDY MOSS

98 PEYTON MANNING

98 CHARLES WOODSON

97 ORLANDO PACE

97 TONY GONZALEZ

97 JASON TAYLOR

97 WALTER JONES

97 RODNEY HARRISON

96 BRIAN DAWKINS

96 TERRELL OWENS

96 MARVIN HARRISON

96 JONATHAN OGDEN

96 ZACH THOMAS

96 RAY LEWIS

95 TONY BOSELLI

95 DERRICK BROOKS

95 WARREN SAPP

95 TERRELL DAVIS

95 CURTIS MARTIN

94 KEVIN MAWAE

94 LARRY ALLEN

94 MARSHALL FAULK

94 ISAAC BRUCE

93 JEROME BETTIS

93 JOHN LYNCH

93 WILL SHIELDS

93 WILLIE ROAF

93 MICHAEL STRAHAN

91 BRETT FAVRE

90 JUNIOR SEAU

90 SHANNON SHARPE

90 CORTEZ KENNEDY

89 DEION SANDERS

89 STEVE ATWATER

88 DERMONTTI DAWSON

88 STERLING SHARPE

88 TIM BROWN

88 CHRIS CARTER

87 BO JACKSON

86 CHARLES HALEY

86 HERSCHEL WALKER

85 KEVIN GREENE

85 CHRIS DOLEMAN

85 ANDRE REED

83 RICHARD DENT

83 ROGER CRAIG

A handful of guys from the above list had short careers due to injury but I feel that their superior play and contribution to the game was HOF worthy.

My list is based on having watched them play, statistics, big games including playoff and Super Bowl performances (if applicable), number of All Pro year awards and Pro Bowls to a lesser extent. I included Herschel Walker because of his big name = fame, ability, huge year with the Cowboys and other quality years and USFL stats which are outstanding.

Interested to hear all of your comments and maybe we can get a discussion started about some of these players, or others if you like. Or feel free to discuss anything about the HOF voting process.

The best website to look up NFL players stats and awards as many of you already know is at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/. Just type in the players name you'd like to look up in the upper right "search" section after clicking that link.
Bolded players above are the ones I disagree with.I'm a huge Terrell Davis fan, and I hope he makes the HOF, but I don't think he will.

dcgangstas said:
There is one currently active player that is a lock for the HOF that you haven't listed. And surprise, he's a kicker.

Adam Vinatieri .
Completely disagree. IMO he won't even get close to making it. This has also been discussed a number of times in other threads, probably including one or more of the threads I already linked.

dcgangstas said:
Good List.

As Just Win Baby stated, we've discussed this one many times. And except for Charles Haley, I agree with JWB's list of non-candidates. Haley should have been in several years ago.

Adam Vinatieri .
Because he holds the record for most Super Bowl FGs missed?

Also, since you mentioned it, the HOF does not count USFL stats (or CFL stats, etc.). So those don't help Walker.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know that Warren Moon gets in at all, let alone first ballot, without an assist from his non-NFL years. HoF voters also weren't supposed to consider LeBeau's coaching resume or Madden's broadcasting resume, but I think they did in both of those cases, as well.
dcgangstas said:

Adam Vinatieri .
Completely disagree. IMO he won't even get close to making it. This has also been discussed a number of times in other threads, probably including one or more of the threads I already linked.
For those who don't feel like digging, the reason Vinatieri doesn't make the hall is because among his peers, there are at least three kickers with stronger resumes (Morten Andersen, Jason Elam, Matt Stover).

Not having the time or inclination to itemize, I would cut your list about in half. I would add two players. Winston Hill, one of the best O linemen from the AFL/NFL era, and the keystone of ther Jets' SB win on the O line. Joe Klecko, the only player in the history of the NFL to get voted into the pro bowl at 3 different positions. Klecko played clean and hard on the field (had some not so clean stuff off the field after he retired) but ask any O lineman that played against Klecko back then, and ask them if he belongs. He does.

I nominate Leroy Butler. He was as much a part of the Packers success as Favre or White. Here is his Wiki page accomplishments:

Butler was selected by the Packers in the second round of the 1990 NFL draft. He played in 181 games, earned a Super Bowl ring, for Super Bowl XXXI, following the 1996 season, was selected as an All-Pro five times and was selected to the Pro Bowl four times (1993, 1996, 1997, and 1998). He was named to the 1990s NFL All Decade Team, by the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and was later inducted into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame, in 2007.

He also invented the Lambeau Leap. He could barely walk as a child due to leg issues that forced him to wear braces and use a wheelchair as a kid.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know that Warren Moon gets in at all, let alone first ballot, without an assist from his non-NFL years. HoF voters also weren't supposed to consider LeBeau's coaching resume or Madden's broadcasting resume, but I think they did in both of those cases, as well.
dcgangstas said:

Adam Vinatieri .
For those who don't feel like digging, the reason Vinatieri doesn't make the hall is because among his peers, there are at least three kickers with stronger resumes (Morten Andersen, Jason Elam, Matt Stover).
Moon didn't need consideration of his CFL stats to get in. If CFL accomplishments counted, Flutie would almost certainly be in, but he has never even gotten a sniff.Similarly, Madden didn't need the broadcasting to be counted to be worthy. On the other hand, I think LeBeau did get extra credit, so there have been unfortunate exceptions.

Agree about the kickers named. But just as important is the fact that kickers don't come close to making the impact that HOF caliber offensive and defensive players make. And with each class currently restricted to just 5 non senior nominees, to include players, coaches, and contributors, there is just too much competition for kickers to be justifiable selections.

Moon didn't need consideration of his CFL stats to get in. If CFL accomplishments counted, Flutie would almost certainly be in, but he has never even gotten a sniff.Similarly, Madden didn't need the broadcasting to be counted to be worthy. On the other hand, I think LeBeau did get extra credit, so there have been unfortunate exceptions.
The difference between Moon and Flutie is that Moon's NFL career was good enough to at least warrant consideration, the CFL stuff was just a little bit of icing. Obviously non-NFL stats don't count at full value, but I do have to think that the voters kept hearing that whole "he's thrown for 10,000 more yards than Dan Marino if you include his CFL days" line that the Moon camp kept tossing around and let it affect their decision-making. I can pretty much guarantee that the writer tasked with presenting Warren Moon to the committee mentioned the CFL at least once, whether he was supposed to or not. Without that little extra boost, I question whether his profile was quite HoF-caliber (imo, his NFL career falls just slightly above Drew Bledsoe), let alone FIRST BALLOT HoFer. We've also disagreed on Madden in the past. The winning percentage is very impressive, but we're talking about 103 wins and 1 SB championship. I wouldn't have blinked if he'd gotten in through the regular selection process, but seniors nominees have to be held to a higher standard, and I don't believe Madden meets that standard strictly as a coach. If John Madden retired from football and lived out the rest of his days quietly on a ranch in Southern California, I don't think he's in the Hall of Fame today. To be honest, I have no problem with him getting extra credit for his broadcast career. I think it's silly for the hall to specifically tell voters not to consider a major FOOTBALL-RELATED aspect of someone's career. I don't get this whole "you can go in as a player, or you can go in as a coach, but you can't go in as both" rule. If it's related to football, it should be part of your resume.

The difference between Moon and Flutie is that Moon's NFL career was good enough to at least warrant consideration, the CFL stuff was just a little bit of icing. Obviously non-NFL stats don't count at full value, but I do have to think that the voters kept hearing that whole "he's thrown for 10,000 more yards than Dan Marino if you include his CFL days" line that the Moon camp kept tossing around and let it affect their decision-making. I can pretty much guarantee that the writer tasked with presenting Warren Moon to the committee mentioned the CFL at least once, whether he was supposed to or not. Without that little extra boost, I question whether his profile was quite HoF-caliber (imo, his NFL career falls just slightly above Drew Bledsoe), let alone FIRST BALLOT HoFer.
It may have been mentioned and may have been "icing," but he was HOF worthy regardless. Old post comparing Bledsoe and Moon:
A lot of people seem to think Moon's CFL performance contributed to his induction. I don't believe that. IMO he is in on his NFL merits, with the only other possible factor that he is a black QB.I agree that there is a big disparity in Pro Bowls... more than twice as many for Moon. In addition:- Moon's career yards per passing attempt is 7.2; Bledsoe's is 6.6- Moon's career QB rating is 80.9; Bledsoe's is 77.1- Moon had 1736 rushing yards and 22 rushing TDs; Bledsoe has 764/10- Moon was All Pro in 1990; Bledsoe was never All Pro- Moon averaged 283 passing yards, 1.7 passing TDs, and 1.4 interceptions in 10 postseason games; Bledsoe averaged 191/0.85/1.7 in 7 postseason games- Not that VBD is used by HOF voters, but it is a measure that we understand around here... Moon had 662 career VBD; Bledsoe has 348Also, note that Moon got a later start on his accomplishments due to the NFL not being willing to draft him as a black QB. He turned 28 during his first NFL season, yet he still played 17 seasons in the NFL, including 14 or 15 as a starter (not sure about 1996), and finished in the top 5 in career pass attempts, completions, passing yards, and passing TDs. Heck, he threw for 3678 yards and 25 TDs at age 41. I'm sure the CFL helped him to be more immediately productive when he joined the NFL, but it is also easy to imagine him having challenged Marino's records for passing yardage and TDs had he started out in the NFL.This is a silly comparison IMO, and is insulting to Moon's accomplishments. Moon deserved to be in the HOF and Bledsoe doesn't. I find both of those statements to be obvious.
In addition to the above, Moon finished in the top 10 in passing yards, passing TDs, and QB rating more often than Bledsoe. He was chosen for 9 Pro Bowls, compared to 4 for Bledsoe; I don't think Pro Bowls are a great measure, but that is a substantial difference.IMO his career was more than marginally better than Bledsoe's.
We've also disagreed on Madden in the past. The winning percentage is very impressive, but we're talking about 103 wins and 1 SB championship. I wouldn't have blinked if he'd gotten in through the regular selection process, but seniors nominees have to be held to a higher standard, and I don't believe Madden meets that standard strictly as a coach. If John Madden retired from football and lived out the rest of his days quietly on a ranch in Southern California, I don't think he's in the Hall of Fame today. To be honest, I have no problem with him getting extra credit for his broadcast career. I think it's silly for the hall to specifically tell voters not to consider a major FOOTBALL-RELATED aspect of someone's career. I don't get this whole "you can go in as a player, or you can go in as a coach, but you can't go in as both" rule. If it's related to football, it should be part of your resume.
I'm not addressing whether his broadcasting and video game should or should not be considered. My point is that it doesn't need to be considered to judge him HOF worthy. From our last discussion on this:
Madden has the best winning percentage ever for coaches with at least 100 victories. Every one of his teams had a winning record. In 10 seasons, his teams won 7 division titles and made the playoffs 8 times. He has a winning postseason record.
Your issue appears to be that he only did it for ten years. So I have to ask, what is the cutoff? What if he maintained the same winning percentage for one more year? Two more? Five more? Or would it require ten?Along similar lines, what is your view on Dungy's HOF worthiness? In a recent thread, a number of posters were calling him a first ballot lock. He coached for 13 seasons, but had a worse winning percentage in regular season and postseason, won fewer division titles, and won the same number of Super Bowls.

Joe Klecko, the only player in the history of the NFL to get voted into the pro bowl at 3 different positions.
I've seen lots of Jets fans spout this line of reasoning, but it's not really accurate. He made it as a 3-4 NT, a 4-3 DE and a 4-3 DT. Reggie White made Pro Bowls as a 3-4 DE, a 4-3 DE and a 4-3 DT. Hugh McElhenny made Pro Bowls as a left halfback and a right halfback in the T-formation, and then as a halfback on a pro-style offense. Pete Retzlaff made it as a right halfback, a split end, and as a tight end. And so on.

Just Win Baby said:
SSOG said:
The difference between Moon and Flutie is that Moon's NFL career was good enough to at least warrant consideration, the CFL stuff was just a little bit of icing. Obviously non-NFL stats don't count at full value, but I do have to think that the voters kept hearing that whole "he's thrown for 10,000 more yards than Dan Marino if you include his CFL days" line that the Moon camp kept tossing around and let it affect their decision-making. I can pretty much guarantee that the writer tasked with presenting Warren Moon to the committee mentioned the CFL at least once, whether he was supposed to or not. Without that little extra boost, I question whether his profile was quite HoF-caliber (imo, his NFL career falls just slightly above Drew Bledsoe), let alone FIRST BALLOT HoFer.
It may have been mentioned and may have been "icing," but he was HOF worthy regardless. Old post comparing Bledsoe and Moon:
A lot of people seem to think Moon's CFL performance contributed to his induction. I don't believe that. IMO he is in on his NFL merits, with the only other possible factor that he is a black QB.I agree that there is a big disparity in Pro Bowls... more than twice as many for Moon. In addition:- Moon's career yards per passing attempt is 7.2; Bledsoe's is 6.6- Moon's career QB rating is 80.9; Bledsoe's is 77.1- Moon had 1736 rushing yards and 22 rushing TDs; Bledsoe has 764/10- Moon was All Pro in 1990; Bledsoe was never All Pro- Moon averaged 283 passing yards, 1.7 passing TDs, and 1.4 interceptions in 10 postseason games; Bledsoe averaged 191/0.85/1.7 in 7 postseason games- Not that VBD is used by HOF voters, but it is a measure that we understand around here... Moon had 662 career VBD; Bledsoe has 348Also, note that Moon got a later start on his accomplishments due to the NFL not being willing to draft him as a black QB. He turned 28 during his first NFL season, yet he still played 17 seasons in the NFL, including 14 or 15 as a starter (not sure about 1996), and finished in the top 5 in career pass attempts, completions, passing yards, and passing TDs. Heck, he threw for 3678 yards and 25 TDs at age 41. I'm sure the CFL helped him to be more immediately productive when he joined the NFL, but it is also easy to imagine him having challenged Marino's records for passing yardage and TDs had he started out in the NFL.This is a silly comparison IMO, and is insulting to Moon's accomplishments. Moon deserved to be in the HOF and Bledsoe doesn't. I find both of those statements to be obvious.
In addition to the above, Moon finished in the top 10 in passing yards, passing TDs, and QB rating more often than Bledsoe. He was chosen for 9 Pro Bowls, compared to 4 for Bledsoe; I don't think Pro Bowls are a great measure, but that is a substantial difference.IMO his career was more than marginally better than Bledsoe's.
I've actually come around a lot to Moon in recent years (once upon a time, whenever anyone mentioned Moon and the hall, my first thought was "hell no"). With that said... when he was up for induction, pretty much NO ONE had him pegged as getting in on the first ballot. I don't think the CFL stats were a major reason he was inducted, but I do think they were considered, however briefly.
Your issue appears to be that he only did it for ten years. So I have to ask, what is the cutoff? What if he maintained the same winning percentage for one more year? Two more? Five more? Or would it require ten?Along similar lines, what is your view on Dungy's HOF worthiness? In a recent thread, a number of posters were calling him a first ballot lock. He coached for 13 seasons, but had a worse winning percentage in regular season and postseason, won fewer division titles, and won the same number of Super Bowls.
For coaches, I like "games above .500" as a nice quick and dirty way to combine dominance with longevity (just like I like "cumulative top-5 finishes" for skill players). Madden is 71 games above .500, which ranks him 7th all time and doesn't look at all out of place among his HoF peers... but which I don't think is a high enough level to merit a seniors nomination on coaching record alone. Especially considering the context of his tenure. The two years before Madden took over, the Raiders were an absurd 25-3. In Madden's first two years, they were 20-5-3 (note: that's a worse record, even if they both sound exactly the same if you say them out loud ;) ). In Madden's last two years, the Raiders were 20-10. In the two years after he left, they were 20-12. In other words, he took over a juggernaut, maintained its juggernaut status, and turned it over a juggernaut. He took over a team that had trouble getting over the hump (coming off a SB loss and a conference championship loss), and had trouble getting over the hump with it (losing 6 conference championship games) Sure, he managed to win a SB with the Raiders. So did Tom Flores two years after he left. John Madden mostly just took an elite franchise and kept it at an elite level for a decade, which is hard, but not nearly as hard as building a franchise to an elite level in the first place. His absurd winning percentage is largely due to the fact that he took over a franchise that was 25-3 before he showed up on the scene- he never had his record hurt by the rebuilding years that every other coach has to go through. He was also helped by having Al Davis as an owner and GM back when Al Davis was perhaps the brightest mind in all of football.Dungy is actually a very interesting comparison, and one that I considered making myself. Dungy is 70 games above .500, essentially tied with Madden. I think Dungy is much more deserving as a coach, though, given the context. Prior to Dungy coming to TB, the Bucs had topped 6 wins only THREE TIMES in their 20 year history. They hadn't made the playoffs in 15 years. Dungy took them to the playoffs in 4 of his 6 seasons, and built that team into a Superbowl Champion (though he unfortunately wasn't around to enjoy the spoils of his labors). He then took over an inconsistent Colts squad and posted 7 straight 10-win seasons, including an NFL-record 6 straight 12 win seasons (although, in fairness, like Madden he benefited from working with the brightest mind in football in Bill Polian). I would say that Dungy's resume as a coach is far more impressive than Madden's... and despite the people who think he's a first ballot lock, other people think he's not even a Hall of Famer, period. And a lot of the "first ballot" talk centers on the fact that he was the first black coach to win a Superbowl. Common opinion seems to be that Dungy is a questionable Hall of Famer (he might make it, he might not), and yet he's a significantly superior candidate to Madden, and he's also entering the Hall through a significantly laxer selection process.Again, Madden isn't out of place in the Hall, but he was woefully undeserving of a Seniors nomination unless you also consider his broadcasting career.

For coaches, I like "games above .500" as a nice quick and dirty way to combine dominance with longevity (just like I like "cumulative top-5 finishes" for skill players).
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=2331
I've seen that, and I like the list it produces, but it's decidedly less "quick and dirty" than games above .500. :kicksrock: I'd also like to point out that almost every single argument that puts John Madden in the Hall of Fame would actually wind up enshrining George Seifert first, had Seifert never coached the Panthers. Seifert would have a better winning percentage, a better playoff winning percentage, more playoff wins, and more SB championships. So, to everyone who thinks that Madden was a deserving HoFer on coaching record alone... if Seifert had never gone to the Panthers, would you be all for enshrining him, too?

I nominate Leroy Butler. He was as much a part of the Packers success as Favre or White. Here is his Wiki page accomplishments:

Butler was selected by the Packers in the second round of the 1990 NFL draft. He played in 181 games, earned a Super Bowl ring, for Super Bowl XXXI, following the 1996 season, was selected as an All-Pro five times and was selected to the Pro Bowl four times (1993, 1996, 1997, and 1998). He was named to the 1990s NFL All Decade Team, by the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and was later inducted into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame, in 2007.

He also invented the Lambeau Leap. He could barely walk as a child due to leg issues that forced him to wear braces and use a wheelchair as a kid.
Good nomination. Defensive backs: Leroy Butler, John Lynch, Steve Atwater, Brian Dawkins, Rodney Harrison, Charles Woodson, and Aeneas Williams all have a chance. Rhonde Barber should get discussed as well.Of the corners I guess I would choose Charles Woodson because he seemed to be the bigger star and still has similar accomplishments as the others and he won DPOY.

2011 Pro Football HOF possibilities in order of most likely to make it in, in my opinion:

Deion Sanders

Marshall Faulk

Shannon Sharpe

Chris Carter

Richard Dent

Andre Reed

Charles Haley

Tim Brown

Jerome Bettis

Curtis Martin

Cortez Kennedy

Roger Craig

Only five modern players that are HOF eligible can get in each year.

Good nomination. Leroy Butler, Charles Woodson, and Aeneas Williams all have a chance. Rhonde Barber should get discussed as well.I guess I would choose Woodson because he seemed to be the bigger star and still has similar accomplishments as the others. And Charles Woodson won DPOY. Not saying more than one of these guys can't go in though, or none of them.
I think all four of these guys are arguably HOF worthy. If it were up to me, I'd vote in all of them.

I think all four of these guys are arguably HOF worthy. If it were up to me, I'd vote in all of them.
I'm on the fence about Woodson and could probably be swayed one way or another based on a particularly persuasive argument, although I'm currently leaning towards "in". I feel similarly about Butler, although I'm currently leaning towards "out" because I think there are a couple other safeties I'd put in first. Barber and Williams, in my opinion, are both definite, no question "yes" votes from me.

98 KURT WARNER

98 ALAN FANECA

98 RANDY MOSS

98 PEYTON MANNING

98 CHARLES WOODSON

97 ORLANDO PACE

97 TONY GONZALEZ

97 JASON TAYLOR

97 WALTER JONES

97 RODNEY HARRISON

96 BRIAN DAWKINS

96 TERRELL OWENS

96 MARVIN HARRISON

96 JONATHAN OGDEN

96 ZACH THOMAS

96 RAY LEWIS

95 TONY BOSELLI

95 DERRICK BROOKS

95 WARREN SAPP

95 TERRELL DAVIS

95 CURTIS MARTIN

94 KEVIN MAWAE

94 LARRY ALLEN

94 MARSHALL FAULK

94 ISAAC BRUCE

93 JEROME BETTIS

93 JOHN LYNCH

93 WILL SHIELDS

93 WILLIE ROAF

93 MICHAEL STRAHAN

91 BRETT FAVRE

90 JUNIOR SEAU

90 SHANNON SHARPE

90 CORTEZ KENNEDY

89 DEION SANDERS

89 STEVE ATWATER

88 DERMONTTI DAWSON

88 STERLING SHARPE

88 TIM BROWN

88 CHRIS CARTER

87 BO JACKSON

86 CHARLES HALEY

86 HERSCHEL WALKER

85 KEVIN GREENE

85 CHRIS DOLEMAN

85 ANDRE REED

83 RICHARD DENT

83 ROGER CRAIG

More thoughts on the above list? ...I suprised myself in listing Roger Craig but he was a finalist last year. Looking at career total yards from scrimmage at the time they retired, Herschel Walker and Roger Craig stand out for their era for running backs not yet in the Hall.

Adam Vinatieri .
What about Jason Hanson? He's entering his 19th season, and he's been incredibly steady if not downright fantastic. Because he has been stuck on some awful Lions teams, he's an afterthought.And in the longevity category, does Jeff Feagles get even token consideration? 22 seasons, 352 consecutive games played, most career punts, most career punts inside the 20, most career punting yards. You gotta be pretty good to get a chance for numbers like that.

But if Ray Guy doesn't get a sniff.... (I know, save it).

Adam Vinatieri .
What about Jason Hanson? He's entering his 19th season, and he's been incredibly steady if not downright fantastic. Because he has been stuck on some awful Lions teams, he's an afterthought.And in the longevity category, does Jeff Feagles get even token consideration? 22 seasons, 352 consecutive games played, most career punts, most career punts inside the 20, most career punting yards. You gotta be pretty good to get a chance for numbers like that.

But if Ray Guy doesn't get a sniff.... (I know, save it).
As SSOG posted, there are at least a few kickers more worthy than Hanson. Given that we don't know if any of them will ever make it, I think it's pretty safe to say Hanson has no chance.As for Feagles (and Guy... and other special teamers, like Tasker), same deal... no chance. The bottom line is that any special teamer would have to get in at the expense of a HOF caliber offensive or defensive player... or another contributor, like a commissioner, coach, or owner. For example, think back to the past few HOF classes, excluding senior committee nominations... does it really seem like a guy like Hanson or Feagles was more worthy than any of the guys who were inducted? Or more worthy than many guys not (yet) inducted, like Cris Carter, Dermontti Dawson, Richard Dent, Cortez Kennedy, Shannon Sharpe, Aeneas Williams, Bill Parcells, Paul Tagliabue, etc.? And in most years, additional worthy players become eligible.

How many impact plays do guys like Feagles or Hanson make in a given game or season or career, compared to HOFers and prospective HOFers such as those named above. Hint: it isn't close.

What about Jason Hanson? He's entering his 19th season, and he's been incredibly steady if not downright fantastic. Because he has been stuck on some awful Lions teams, he's an afterthought.And in the longevity category, does Jeff Feagles get even token consideration? 22 seasons, 352 consecutive games played, most career punts, most career punts inside the 20, most career punting yards. You gotta be pretty good to get a chance for numbers like that.But if Ray Guy doesn't get a sniff.... (I know, save it).
Hanson's been fantastic, but Elam, Akers, and Stover have had, in my mind, clearly better careers. I wasn't trying to present a complete list of kickers with better resumes than Adam Vinatieri, just a short-and-not-too-controversial list.As for Hanson... no shot at the hall of fame. Part of that's because he played for a crappy team, but everyone gets bonus points or penalized for their team. That's just a fact of life. Hanson doesn't have the game winners or the playoff kicks to pad his resume. It's the Lions' fault he doesn't have them, but that doesn't change the fact that he doesn't have them. As such, his only hope would be to set a lot of records (like Morton), but I doubt he'll seriously challenge the records... again, in large part because of the Lions. Not fair, but that's how it goes.As for Feagles... like I say whenever the talk turns to special teamers, if any special team player should make it into the HoFer based on his work on special teams, I don't think it should be a punter (and I DEFINITELY don't think it should be Steve Freaking Tasker). If any special teamer goes, I think it should be one of the elite returners. My pick would be Rick Upchurch, because he's one of the top 3 returners of all time and he actually chipped in a decent career on offense, to boot.

Good posts, both of you. And for the record, I agree in theory. But when coaches keep pounding the point home to the public that special teams is 1/3 of the game and ST are very important, it seems they should get some worthy representation of that in Canton.

Good posts, both of you. And for the record, I agree in theory. But when coaches keep pounding the point home to the public that special teams is 1/3 of the game and ST are very important, it seems they should get some worthy representation of that in Canton.
Saying that Special Teams is 1/3 of football because there's offense, defense, and special teams is a little bit like saying I have a 50% chance of winning the lottery, because the only possible outcomes are that I win or I lose. Football Outsiders once calculated that special teams are actually closer to 1/7th of football (i.e. offense and defense are both three times as important), and that seventh was split kickoffs, punts, kickoff returns, punt returns, and placekicking.I'm not really that opposed to getting ST some representation in the hall, I just hate the candidates that typically come up. I'd be fine with Morton Anderson making it, because he has objective and tangible reasons going for him (i.e. every kicking record) instead of this soft "his teammates and coach said he was great" stuff that Guy has in his favor (because, statistically speaking, he's not even the best punter in Raiders history). And I was actually pretty serious about Upchurch- if we are going to elect a special teamer to the HoF, I think he's the guy who should be leading the charge. 3 time 1st team AP All Pro and 4 time Pro Bowler as a returner, both records tied with Mel Gray (and statistically speaking, none of those 4 seasons were even his best season as a returner). Was the returner on the 1970s all-decade team. 8 career punt return TDs, including 4 in a single season. Top 10 in career punt return yards and yards per punt return (and 7 of the 8 guys ahead of him in yards per return played in the late 50s/early 60s, when punt return averages were much higher across the league), 3rd all time in TDs per punt return- I think a pretty airtight case could be built that he was the greatest punt returner in NFL history, as well as one of the top 3 returners of any description in NFL history. In fact, the guys at the PFR blog have already done just that.

After that, it's just a matter of figuring which is more valuable, an elite returner or an elite kicker. Personally, I think if most teams were given the choice between 2005 Neil Rackers and 2006 Devin Hester, they'd take Hester in a heartbeat. Obviously I have nothing to back this up, but I definitely feel like elite returners are more valuable than elite kickers. I'd be interested to hear if people agree or disagree.

From there, the case pretty much writes itself. Upchurch played the most valuable position on special teams, and was one of the greatest in NFL history at that position. In addition, he also chipped in 600 receiving yards per 16 games and an extra 27 career scores on offense, which makes a pretty nice resume padder- you don't see many punters with nearly 5,000 career yards on offense, do you? No, if we're going to elect a special teamer, Rick Upchurch should be the guy.

Update.

Class of 2011

Richard Dent

Marshall Faulk

Chris Hanburger

Les Richter

Ed Sabol

Deion Sanders

Shannon Sharpe

Class of 2012

Jack Butler

Dermontti Dawson

Chris Doleman

Cortez Kennedy

Curtis Martin

Willie Roaf

9 are in off of my future HOF list from two years ago.

Update to my future HOF list. Below is my list of players with first year in the NFL of '98 or earlier (including first NFL year followed by name) that I would vote into the Pro Football Hall of Fame if I had a vote:

98 KURT WARNER

98 ALAN FANECA

98 RANDY MOSS

98 PEYTON MANNING

98 CHARLES WOODSON

97 ORLANDO PACE

97 TONY GONZALEZ

97 JASON TAYLOR

97 WALTER JONES

97 RODNEY HARRISON

96 BRIAN DAWKINS

96 TERRELL OWENS

96 MARVIN HARRISON

96 JONATHAN OGDEN

96 ZACH THOMAS

96 RAY LEWIS

95 DERRICK BROOKS

95 WARREN SAPP

95 TERRELL DAVIS

94 KEVIN MAWAE

94 LARRY ALLEN

94 ISAAC BRUCE

93 JEROME BETTIS

93 JOHN LYNCH

93 WILL SHIELDS

93 MICHAEL STRAHAN

91 AENEAS WILLIAMS

91 BRETT FAVRE

90 LEROY BUTLER

90 JUNIOR SEAU

89 STEVE ATWATER

89 ERIC ALLEN

88 TIM BROWN

88 CHRIS CARTER

86 CHARLES HALEY

85 KEVIN GREENE

85 ANDRE REED

Edits:

Removed: New HOFers from 2011 and 2012.

Removed: Tony Boselli, Sterling Sharpe, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Roger Craig

Added: Eric Allen, Aeneas Williams, LeRoy Butler

Users who are viewing this thread