What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First Amazon, then Peacock , now Wednesday Netflix NFL (2 Viewers)

Called this a long time ago. Pulling stuff off regular TV and moving it to aps was a slippery slope. They wanted to see what they could get away with. Now they're pushing the envelope.

The services are starting to consolidate, so who knows where this is all heading. But I absolutely think we're gonna get to the point where big events go to PPV. The greed will overwhelm common sense and they know people will pay for the super bowl

My biggest gripe is that you pay a ton of money to get "all the games" and then you don't get all the games. I know it was already that way with Thursday/Monday but when they keep pulling more and more out of "all the games" it is annoying.

I know they won't do it but getting the "Ticket" should get you ALL the games.

My biggest gripe is that you pay a ton of money to get "all the games" and then you don't get all the games. I know it was already that way with Thursday/Monday but when they keep pulling more and more out of "all the games" it is annoying.

^This.

I had a major issue watching NHL games during COVID. I'm a Caps fan living in the NY/NJ metro area, but also on the edge of Philly. During COVID, the Caps played in the "East," and games against the Devils, Islanders, Rangers, and Flyers were blacked out in my area...so 4 of the 8 teams (7 if you remove the Caps) were blacked out...yet I still paid to get "all the games," at the same price as before COVID.

Sadly, I don't think anything stops as long as people keep paying.

I felt the ticket was of minimal value last year due to this kind of thing, and less of a value now. I'm not buying it this year.

This. They are killing the value of ST.

My free Netflix went away when I switched phone carriers. It’s been over a year. This won’t incentivize me to get it. I did get the ST last year for free. I won’t be paying for it this year. Don’t/won’t get peacock. Sadly Amazon has the horrible TNF games, so I get those. Yay? And I have never paid for a solo PPV event in my life. I really don’t think I’d start with the Super Bowl.

My free Netflix went away when I switched phone carriers. It’s been over a year. This won’t incentivize me to get it. I did get the ST last year for free. I won’t be paying for it this year. Don’t/won’t get peacock. Sadly Amazon has the horrible TNF games, so I get those. Yay? And I have never paid for a solo PPV event in my life. I really don’t think I’d start with the Super Bowl.
Peacock came free with my instacart subscription, I think.

^This.

I had a major issue watching NHL games during COVID. I'm a Caps fan living in the NY/NJ metro area, but also on the edge of Philly. During COVID, the Caps played in the "East," and games against the Devils, Islanders, Rangers, and Flyers were blacked out in my area...so 4 of the 8 teams (7 if you remove the Caps) were blacked out...yet I still paid to get "all the games," at the same price as before COVID.

Sadly, I don't think anything stops as long as people keep paying.
I ran into this with MLB when all of the carriers started dropping the Fox sports regional channels. I live in Iowa so the closest team to me is 250 miles in Minnesota which also happens to be my favorite team. I couldn't get the bat because of the antique blackout rules I can't watch the Twins, Brewers, White Sox, Cubs, Cardinals or Royals even though they are all 4+ Hours from me. I went down the black hole of streaming and I will never go back.

I get Amazon but not Netflix but in addition to not be able to view the games what also sucks about this is when the game is on a streaming service it's a huge pain to switch from the game to something else and then back. I usually don't like to sit and watch a game uninterrupted for 2 or 3 hours so usually don't even bother much with the games on Amazon.

I will preface my comment by saying I don't watch much TV anyway, so these individual services (mostly) aren't worth it to me anyways.

But I do subscribe to Sling TV with the Redzone sports extra package for the 4 months at the end of the year. Gets me the all the Sunday games at least. Costs like 45/month for all that.

And I resubscribe for April and May for the NBA playoffs. Beyond that, I'll be missing more NFL games this year I guess.

NFL 2035:
TNF - Amazon
SNF - Peacock
MNF - ESPN+
Playoffs - Various streaming services
SuperBowl - PPV
Tickets - $300
Hotdog - $26
Beer - $29
Cap - $49
Jets & Giants still suck - Priceless
London
Mehico City
Germany
The Gambia
Batswana
Franchise in Hawai’i’i’ii’i

NFL 2035:
TNF - Amazon
SNF - Peacock
MNF - ESPN+
Playoffs - Various streaming services
SuperBowl - PPV
Tickets - $300
Hotdog - $26
Beer - $29
Cap - $49
Jets & Giants still suck - Priceless
Don't forget the inevitable Tuesday Late Morning/Early Afternoon (TULMEAF) game on Hulu!

Soccer fans have been through this over the past 5 years or so, as the various euro leagues and competitions are all trying to maximize media rights revenue and they typically use 3-5 year contracts so there are bidding wars going on constantly. It is frustrating to have to subscribe to 3-4 different services to cover everything I want to watch. My local MLB and NBA teams have similar issues as those broadcasts are almost entirely covered by a relatively expensive subscription service and are no longer available on regular network television.

The silver lining for me personally is that as this same trend spreads to the NFL its a complete non-issue for me because I already have Peacock, Netflix and Prime and always will. Peacock has done a great job with rugby and soccer and is fantastic value for me. Netflix seems equivalent to having a phone or power in your house these days - it's just something everyone has.

Also worth noting that the NFL is by far and away the most popular television programming in our country so we have to concede that two things are true: 1) We will pay to watch football. The very few who truly will not pay and stop watching NFL football are the tiny tiny minority; 2) They know what they are doing. There may be a small amount of short term pain but this trend is the future, it will be successful and viewership and revenues are only going in one direction. You only have to witness things like the NFL Draft and combine. The fact that those are now televised events on multiple networks is incredible. That people actually take time out of their day to watch the NFL draft as a live televised event is a stunning feat of marketing by the NFL. Goodell earns every single penny of the $50m+ he is paid every year. The NFL on television and media is likely the most awesome, most successful marketing success story of our lifetimes.

This is like the NHL strike/lockout for me.

When that happened I found other stuff and realized I don't need to watch every game and my interest level came way down.

Same thing is happening with the NFL, I rarely if ever watch a Thursday game, only have prime and not for the video. I still have Netflix peacock and Hulu only because I'm still in a promotional period. Once I have to pay they will be cancelled. So the less I end up watching the less I'll care. I know I'm in the minority but I just am tired of dealing with it lol. Once they started putting MLB on Apple TV I stopped there also. Yell at clouds

Add in arbitrary safety rules and I honestly am losing interest year by year

Soccer fans have been through this over the past 5 years or so, as the various euro leagues and competitions are all trying to maximize media rights revenue and they typically use 3-5 year contracts so there are bidding wars going on constantly. It is frustrating to have to subscribe to 3-4 different services to cover everything I want to watch. My local MLB and NBA teams have similar issues as those broadcasts are almost entirely covered by a relatively expensive subscription service and are no longer available on regular network television.

The silver lining for me personally is that as this same trend spreads to the NFL its a complete non-issue for me because I already have Peacock, Netflix and Prime and always will. Peacock has done a great job with rugby and soccer and is fantastic value for me. Netflix seems equivalent to having a phone or power in your house these days - it's just something everyone has.

I agree and it's been a pain in soccer, but at least streaming services actually make more sense there due to the lack of commercials. It makes a lot more sense for a streaming service to bid on games there since they can directly increase revenue with more sign-ups due to the games, whereas a cable channel getting soccer games doesn't have much of a product to sell since they don't get much commercial space to sell, so they're not as likely to bid as much on it as a network might on an NFL game with tons of commercial space to sell.

This is like the NHL strike/lockout for me.

When that happened I found other stuff and realized I don't need to watch every game and my interest level came way down.

Same thing is happening with the NFL, I rarely if ever watch a Thursday game, only have prime and not for the video. I still have Netflix peacock and Hulu only because I'm still in a promotional period. Once I have to pay they will be cancelled. So the less I end up watching the less I'll care. I know I'm in the minority but I just am tired of dealing with it lol. Once they started putting MLB on Apple TV I stopped there also. Yell at clouds

Add in arbitrary safety rules and I honestly am losing interest year by year
This is where I'm at as well, belljr. I have prime w/video and still never watch a Thursday game, they usually stink and honestly I'm wiped by a full work week and ready for bed by 9:00-9:30 anyway. Same for Monday nights as I don't have Espn. I really don't have fomo with that either. I've missed many Saturday games as the NFL puts them on late in the season and I just don't have time to care. Can't remember the last time I watched more than a glance for the Thanksgiving day games and watch the night game only cuz I'm off black friday and need something to do while I drink beer. Overall, I am one of the few that will watch NFL on Sundays and usually only when my team plays. The rest is just noise, imo. Certainly not going to start paying for the privilege.

Users who are viewing this thread