What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FIRE JACK DEL RIO NOW! (1 Viewer)

Warpig

Footballguy
Taking a DT last year at # 10 that no one even heard of.

And now TRADING UP to take Blaine freaking Gabbert...the most overhyped QB in this draft. I would of rather taken Kaepernick or a DB at pick #17. And now I can guarantee they will tank the rest of their picks as well.

He sucks as a head coach and should of stayed as a D-coordinator.

Now, when the Jags suck and underachieve again this year and Del Rio is canned, the next head coach will want his own QB. So Gabbert is doomed ala Clausen.

IDIOTS! :rant: :hot: :wall:

Did Del Rio make that pick? I honestly don't know. Seems like an organizational pick..Not a pick that would be made by a coach on the hot seat.

Gabbert has been discussed as a top 3-5 pick for a long time. Seems like Jacksonville made a great move to get him to me. As a Titans fan, I'm worried that the Locker over Gabbert move could haunt us for a decade. I hope it doesn't...but at this point I would think Jacksonville fans would be optimistic.

Yeah, this is Gene Smith all the way. JDR has a win-now or else edict. He would have rather taken defense to save his job.

BTW, this is the first QB drafted by the Jags since Leftwich in 2003.

ETA - Jack really won't like this pick since they have to wait until teh 3rd round for some defensive help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this pick for JAX. I see a lot of Jim Everett in Gabbert, and think he'll be a high quality QB for a long time. Glad he didn't go to Cinci.

Think this pick is going to look really good down the road, when compared to the abortions that the Newton and Ponder picks are destined to become.

Did Del Rio make that pick? I honestly don't know. Seems like an organizational pick..Not a pick that would be made by a coach on the hot seat.Gabbert has been discussed as a top 3-5 pick for a long time. Seems like Jacksonville made a great move to get him to me. As a Titans fan, I'm worried that the Locker over Gabbert move could haunt us for a decade. I hope it doesn't...but at this point I would think Jacksonville fans would be optimistic.
You would think that a coach on the hot seat would certainly want to be part of the draft class that could be the end of him.And I got to watch a lot of Gabbert's games since I live in Missouri. He is average at best and totally overhyped. Another one of those guys that supposedly has all the tools, but can't put it all together. He just doesn't have the 'IT' factor.

If you hadn't heard of Alualu before the Jags picked him, that's more a reflection on you than the Jags. And that DT "no one even heard of " had a pretty impressive rookie season. Gene Smith makes the picks and can listen to Del Rio if he wants to or ignore him.

But all that aside, I agree. Fire Del Rio! I am sick to death of his Tony Robbins, blame deflecting, sleazy used car salesman lazy butt.

OH NO!

Del Rio doesn't make draft choices, Gene Smith does. No player in this draft is going to make them super bowl contenders this year, they have too many holes. So they drafted a guy who they think can be their QB of the future. Something had to be done at the QB position.

Smith, who said before the draft he and Player Personnel Director Terry McDonough talked to every NFL team about trade possibilities, said he first began seriously discussing trading up in the first round with the Dallas Cowboys on the clock at No. 9.“We started with Dallas,” he said.The Cowboys, he said, were focused on selecting Southern California offensive tackle Tyron Smith, and Gene Smith then turned his focus to talking with Washington.‘I don’t feel like I’m a gambler,” Smith said. “I’m a calculated risk taker. With every decision there’s a risk involved.“I’m very happy to have Blaine here as a Jaguar.”

Warpig...come back off the ledge.

1) Tyson Alualu was a beast last year, the Jags were laughed at for "reaching" and now everyone else is eating crow because they had it right, and most everyone else had it wrong

2) Del Rio has ZERO input into the 2011 draft, Gene Smith now has all that power. So if you're upset at Gabbert, be made at Smith, not Del Rio.

Warpig...come back off the ledge.1) Tyson Alualu was a beast last year, the Jags were laughed at for "reaching" and now everyone else is eating crow because they had it right, and most everyone else had it wrong2) Del Rio has ZERO input into the 2011 draft, Gene Smith now has all that power. So if you're upset at Gabbert, be made at Smith, not Del Rio.
:goodposting: There are many arguments to be made against Del Rio, but the recent drafts are not one of them.

Warpig...come back off the ledge.1) Tyson Alualu was a beast last year, the Jags were laughed at for "reaching" and now everyone else is eating crow because they had it right, and most everyone else had it wrong2) Del Rio has ZERO input into the 2011 draft, Gene Smith now has all that power. So if you're upset at Gabbert, be made at Smith, not Del Rio.
Alualu...a beast? 38 tackles with 3.5 sacks is a beast? His less heralded counterpart Terrance Knighton had 34 and 4. Compare that to Suh, who IS a beast and who had 66 tackles with 10 sacks. Alualu was average at best...I would expect more from the #10 pick. No wonder no one had ever heard of him.Del Rio needed to be fired 2 - 3 years ago due to his inability to get his teams over the hump. They are predictable and lackadaisical. And I still don't believe that he didn't have some sort of say in taking Gabbert. Like I said, he is on the hot seat, you would think he would have asked for the ability to have some input into the players he would be coaching.

Alualu...a beast? 38 tackles with 3.5 sacks is a beast? His less heralded counterpart Terrance Knighton had 34 and 4. Compare that to Suh, who IS a beast and who had 66 tackles with 10 sacks. Alualu was average at best...I would expect more from the #10 pick. No wonder no one had ever heard of him.Del Rio needed to be fired 2 - 3 years ago due to his inability to get his teams over the hump. They are predictable and lackadaisical. And I still don't believe that he didn't have some sort of say in taking Gabbert. Like I said, he is on the hot seat, you would think he would have asked for the ability to have some input into the players he would be coaching.
I hate to tell you, but 38 tackles and 3.5 sacks for a rookie DT is really good. Suh is a not a beast, he's a freak of nature. He shouldn't be compared at all to Suh. Suh is a once in a generation player.

You're clearly not grounded in historical expectations. Those numbers from a rookie DT are terrific. Alualu has shown you that he can be a starter, at a premium position, for years to come. That's all you can hope for at 1.10. As to what you choose to believe, the Jags (which I'm assuming you're a fan?) made it very clear that Del Rio was giving up his personnel vote as part of his sticking around. Love it or hate it, this is Gene Smith's show.

You're clearly not grounded in historical expectations. Those numbers from a rookie DT are terrific. Alualu has shown you that he can be a starter, at a premium position, for years to come. That's all you can hope for at 1.10. As to what you choose to believe, the Jags (which I'm assuming you're a fan?) made it very clear that Del Rio was giving up his personnel vote as part of his sticking around. Love it or hate it, this is Gene Smith's show.
I'm assuming that we all agree that you can find a DT in the later rounds that can put up similar numbers to what Alualu put up last year (see Terrance Knighton or Antonio Dixon just to name a couple off the top of my head).I was not aware that Del Rio had his war room privileges revoked. If I'm not mistaken, J-ville has one of the worst draft records around...perhaps Gene Smith needs to be shown the door along with JDR?I just think they certainly reached horribly with Alualu last year and they should have addressed other more pressing needs in this draft. Perhaps Amukamura or Jimmy Smith even? Or that safety from UCLA? There were tons of D-linemen and O-linemen still on the board too. I would have loved if they had taken anything other than Gabbert then maybe get Kaepernick in the 2nd. Now they don't even have a 2nd I believe (or was it a 3rd they packaged to move up?).

I'm assuming that we all agree that you can find a DT in the later rounds that can put up similar numbers to what Alualu put up last year (see Terrance Knighton or Antonio Dixon just to name a couple off the top of my head).
I'm assuming we can all agree that you can find ANY position in the later rounds. Does this mean you should never draft anyone higher than the 3rd round?

I'm ok with this as long as he takes Garrabage with him. Another team though with a bunch of zeros at WR.

What do numbers have to do with how well a DT played?
:football: :goodposting:
Well let's see, if your DT isn't putting up good numbers I would take that to mean that he is atleast eating up blockers and keeping linemen off of the LB's. If that were the case, Kirk Morrison would have put up better numbers. Daryl Smith got the tackles that he did because he was getting ran at playing on the strong side.Alualu at #10 was a terrible pick. Could have gotten someone who could make an impact on the game at that spot. Alualu didn't make an impact. He was average at best.

Well let's see, if your DT isn't putting up good numbers I would take that to mean that he is atleast eating up blockers and keeping linemen off of the LB's. If that were the case, Kirk Morrison would have put up better numbers. Daryl Smith got the tackles that he did because he was getting ran at playing on the strong side.Alualu at #10 was a terrible pick. Could have gotten someone who could make an impact on the game at that spot. Alualu didn't make an impact. He was average at best.
We are just going to have to disagree on this issue. Alualu had a very good year for a rookie DT with more tackles and sacks than any DT not named Suh. And comparing him to a once a decade type player that was drafted much earlier isn't a fair comparison.

We are just going to have to disagree on this issue. Alualu had a very good year for a rookie DT with more tackles and sacks than any DT not named Suh. And comparing him to a once a decade type player that was drafted much earlier isn't a fair comparison.
I understand. But would you rather have Alualu at # 10 when you could have gotten him an entire round later (at least) or would you rather of had any one of the following players?11 49ers Davis, Anthony OT 6'5" 323 Rutgers

12 Chargers Mathews, Ryan RB 6'0" 218 Fresno State

13 Eagles Graham, Brandon DE 6'1" 268 Michigan

14 Seahawks Thomas, Earl SS 5'10" 208 Texas

15 Giants Pierre-Paul, Jason DE 6'5" 270 South Florida

16 Titans Morgan, Derrick DE 6'3" 266 Georgia Tech

17 49ers Iupati, Mike OG 6'5" 331 Idaho

18 Steelers Pouncey, Maurkice C 6'4" 304 Florida

19 Falcons Weatherspoon, Sean LB 6'1" 239 Missouri

20 Texans Jackson, Kareem CB 5'10" 196 Alabama

21 Bengals Gresham, Jermaine TE 6'5" 261 Oklahoma

22 Broncos Thomas, Demaryius WR 6'3" 224 Georgia Tech

23 Packers Bulaga, Bryan OT 6'5" 314 Iowa

24 Cowboys Bryant, Dez WR 6'2" 225 Oklahoma State

25 Broncos Tebow, Tim QB 6'3" 236 Florida

26 Cardinals Williams, Dan DT 6'2" 327 Tennessee

27 Patriots McCourty, Devin CB 5'11" 193 Rutgers

28 Dolphins Odrick, Jared DT 6'5" 304 Penn State

29 Jets Wilson, Kyle CB 5'10" 194 Boise State

30 Lions Best, Jahvid RB 5'10" 199 California

31 Colts Hughes, Jerry DE 6'2" 255 TCU

32 Saints Robinson, Patrick CB 5'11" 190 Florida State

I would of rather had any of the players highlighted above and they would have also served a team need when they took Alualu at #10.

Sam Bradford put up some average numbers.

I understand. But would you rather have Alualu at # 10 when you could have gotten him an entire round later (at least) or would you rather of had any one of the following players?11 49ers Davis, Anthony OT 6'5" 323 Rutgers

I would of rather had any of the players highlighted above and they would have also served a team need when they took Alualu at #10.
So now your argument is they got a good player but they could have had an even BETTER player? Hindsight is wonderful. Which of those players should they have taken? Which players were going to be a bust? Do you have a link to any of your predictions dating back to before last year's draft?

Average numbers for a rookie QB on a crap team is actually very good. Bradford had a positive impact on the Rams. Teams had to start respecting their passing game and he had them in the playoff hunt until the end. Other than S. Jackson what else did he have to work with on that team?Alualu helped the J-ville rush defense to a lofty rank of 22 out of 32 teams which is actually DOWN 3 slots from their 2009 ranking of 19 and they had a ranking of 13 (respectable) in 2008. So, Alualu certainly had an impact, however, it was a negative impact. I know there are other factors to consider, but there wasn't much of a difference between the two defenses. They even brought in Kampman which was an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

So now your argument is they got a good player but they could have had an even BETTER player? Hindsight is wonderful. Which of those players should they have taken? Which players were going to be a bust? Do you have a link to any of your predictions dating back to before last year's draft?
My point is that any of those highlighted players would have been a better pick than Alualu at #10. AND they would have filled a need on their team. Alualu was an epic reach.

Warpig...come back off the ledge.

1) Tyson Alualu was a beast last year, the Jags were laughed at for "reaching" and now everyone else is eating crow because they had it right, and most everyone else had it wrong

2) Del Rio has ZERO input into the 2011 draft, Gene Smith now has all that power. So if you're upset at Gabbert, be made at Smith, not Del Rio.
I'm assuming that we all agree that you can find a DT in the later rounds that can put up similar numbers to what Alualu put up last year (see Terrance Knighton or Antonio Dixon just to name a couple off the top of my head).I was not aware that Del Rio had his war room privileges revoked. If I'm not mistaken, J-ville has one of the worst draft records around...perhaps Gene Smith needs to be shown the door along with JDR?

I just think they certainly reached horribly with Alualu last year and they should have addressed other more pressing needs in this draft. Perhaps Amukamura or Jimmy Smith even? Or that safety from UCLA? There were tons of D-linemen and O-linemen still on the board too. I would have loved if they had taken anything other than Gabbert then maybe get Kaepernick in the 2nd. Now they don't even have a 2nd I believe (or was it a 3rd they packaged to move up?).
Ever heard the name Shack Harris?

Average numbers for a rookie QB on a crap team is actually very good.

Bradford had a positive impact on the Rams. Teams had to start respecting their passing game and he had them in the playoff hunt until the end. Other than S. Jackson what else did he have to work with on that team?Alualu helped the J-ville rush defense to a lofty rank of 22 out of 32 teams which is actually DOWN 3 slots from their 2009 ranking of 19 and they had a ranking of 13 (respectable) in 2008. So, Alualu certainly had an impact, however, it was a negative impact.

I know there are other factors to consider, but there wasn't much of a difference between the two defenses. They even brought in Kampman which was an improvement.
This is what you're missing. Alualu put up average numbers last year. I won't dispute that. But so did Bradford. You have to look at what the players did AS A ROOKIE. Players who aren't busts generally improve from year one to year two. Alualu showed a ton of promise for a position that typically takes a couple years to master.

My point is that any of those highlighted players would have been a better pick than Alualu at #10. AND they would have filled a need on their team. Alualu was an epic reach.
The Jaguars needed a DT as well. Can't fill every position. If Alualu pans out he will be a great pick. And his rookie year was a great start. Would you preferred the Jags to draft Brandon Graham? He filled a need for the Jags and was a high pick.

Why do you think Alualu was an "epic reach"? Because Mel Kiper said so? Mel Kiper would have thought Clausen was a good pick at the #10 last year and look how long he lasted with the real NFL people making the picks. Alualu was on the radar of other teams and would not have lasted much longer because the real NFL people don't listen to Mel Kiper or any of those other "experts". Alualu was a good/great pick. Stop trying to hate based on 20/20 hindsight.

In Gosselin's end-of-year draft class re-evaluation, he rated Alualu #10 overall based on what he showed during the year. :shrug:

Did Del Rio make that pick? I honestly don't know. Seems like an organizational pick..Not a pick that would be made by a coach on the hot seat.Gabbert has been discussed as a top 3-5 pick for a long time. Seems like Jacksonville made a great move to get him to me. As a Titans fan, I'm worried that the Locker over Gabbert move could haunt us for a decade. I hope it doesn't...but at this point I would think Jacksonville fans would be optimistic.
You would think that a coach on the hot seat would certainly want to be part of the draft class that could be the end of him.And I got to watch a lot of Gabbert's games since I live in Missouri. He is average at best and totally overhyped. Another one of those guys that supposedly has all the tools, but can't put it all together. He just doesn't have the 'IT' factor.
Seeing as how I can't even remember the last OL drafted out of Missouri, do you think that might be 'IT'?

Tyson Alualu started the year injured, and then suffered another injury half way through the season.

In addition to DE Aaron Kampman, Jags DT Tyson Alualu also suffered a knee injury in practice this week.According to the Florida Times-Union, Kampman's "might be a serious knee injury." The Jags are holding their breath, awaiting his MRI results. Alualu missed practice Thursday while sporting a new brace on his lower left leg. The Texans' offense is looking at a matchup upgrade this week.
Jaguars first-round pick Tyson Alualu (calf) finally returned to practice on Thursday.Though Alualu's inability to participate in most of camp won't affect his starting status (it's not like the Jags have better options), it would seem to decrease the likelihood that he'll be an impact player early in the season. For now, Alualu is slated for every-down duties adjacent to NT Terrance Knighton.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5873/tyson-alualuSo not only was he a rookie playing a position that generally favors older players, he also played through a couple injuries.He should take a major step forward next season.

Average numbers for a rookie QB on a crap team is actually very good.

Bradford had a positive impact on the Rams. Teams had to start respecting their passing game and he had them in the playoff hunt until the end. Other than S. Jackson what else did he have to work with on that team?Alualu helped the J-ville rush defense to a lofty rank of 22 out of 32 teams which is actually DOWN 3 slots from their 2009 ranking of 19 and they had a ranking of 13 (respectable) in 2008. So, Alualu certainly had an impact, however, it was a negative impact.

I know there are other factors to consider, but there wasn't much of a difference between the two defenses. They even brought in Kampman which was an improvement.
This is what you're missing. Alualu put up average numbers last year. I won't dispute that. But so did Bradford. You have to look at what the players did AS A ROOKIE. Players who aren't busts generally improve from year one to year two. Alualu showed a ton of promise for a position that typically takes a couple years to master.
:ptts: :violin:

Users who are viewing this thread