What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time: #1 - Alien (11 Viewers)

Similar to Jaws - the best scenes for me aren't directly about the shark. #1 is the Indianapolis speech. Right after that for me are scenes like the encounter with Mrs. Kintner, the first time Quint and Brody meet, things like that. The attack on the Kintner kid and Quint are awesome example of horror scenes, but again for me it's more the bonus cherry on top not the primary driver for watching.
I think those scenes and others are some of the things that make it such a good movie. One of my favorites is when Brody is feeling down (I think Mrs. Kintner slapped him in the face after her son's funeral prior to the scene) and his son starts imitating what he does. The movie took the time to focus on some of the characters, and not just be about trying to catch the shark that was terrorizing the community. It is horror, though. Jaws is a monster shark eating people. The shark really isn't shown that much until the very end. The music is great at building up the suspense of when Jaws is about to attack, and you can feel the fear without seeing the shark chew up a person. Being that it really can happen adds to the fear. I remember jumping when Hooper is underwater searching that man's boat and the man's head rolls out. Good times!
I get that, but I think the point I and a few others are also making is that some of these debatable movies are also dramas, actions, comedies, etc.. That's a bit what keeps it off my list I think, and the fact that it's the other stuff that I love the most. For me it's just not enough of a horror for a high rating, and it's too good of a movie to be rated #40 of anything so it was left off initially.
From my thoughts to your keyboard. Top 10 movie all time for me, but I didn't want to shoehorn it into a horror list.

I don't get to October and think, "time to watch Jaws!"
Not an October thing perhaps, but Jaws and Midsommar would make a nice summer night horror double-feature

Similar to Jaws - the best scenes for me aren't directly about the shark. #1 is the Indianapolis speech. Right after that for me are scenes like the encounter with Mrs. Kintner, the first time Quint and Brody meet, things like that. The attack on the Kintner kid and Quint are awesome example of horror scenes, but again for me it's more the bonus cherry on top not the primary driver for watching.
I think those scenes and others are some of the things that make it such a good movie. One of my favorites is when Brody is feeling down (I think Mrs. Kintner slapped him in the face after her son's funeral prior to the scene) and his son starts imitating what he does. The movie took the time to focus on some of the characters, and not just be about trying to catch the shark that was terrorizing the community. It is horror, though. Jaws is a monster shark eating people. The shark really isn't shown that much until the very end. The music is great at building up the suspense of when Jaws is about to attack, and you can feel the fear without seeing the shark chew up a person. Being that it really can happen adds to the fear. I remember jumping when Hooper is underwater searching that man's boat and the man's head rolls out. Good times!
I get that, but I think the point I and a few others are also making is that some of these debatable movies are also dramas, actions, comedies, etc.. That's a bit what keeps it off my list I think, and the fact that it's the other stuff that I love the most. For me it's just not enough of a horror for a high rating, and it's too good of a movie to be rated #40 of anything so it was left off initially.
From my thoughts to your keyboard. Top 10 movie all time for me, but I didn't want to shoehorn it into a horror list.

Not an October thing perhaps, but Jaws and Midsommar would make a nice summer night horror double-feature
I'll just watch Jaws twice.

I'm struggling to understand any opinion that Jaws isn't horror. It evokes the exact responses in audiences that a horror movie sets out to do. If there's a single movie that sparks a fear of the ocean, it's this one. Is it because it;s Speilberg? OR because it made a lot of money? :shrug:
For me, I hadn't thought about it too much while doing my initial pass, but it wasn't in my top 40. I guess I would just refer back to IK's post and thoughts about SotL. This is the movie I referred to that is in my top 5 all time movies, so it would score quite high on the movie quality line, but for my initial thoughts it wasn't "horror enough", but honestly haven't thought about it much after that. There are a few that I don't really have a great reason for leaving off, love a lot, but still don't feel right putting on a list of horror movies - Psycho, Silence of the Lambs, Jaws are the top ones I was thinking about.

It's one of the reasons I struggled with the list. If I admitted it's horror, it should be at the top if it's one of my all time movies, right? But it still didn't feel right having it in my top 5 horror movies list and I didn't want to have movies like that in the 40s-50s either. :shrug:

You wouldn't feel right having, excuse me [checks notes], Psycho on a ####ING HORROR MOVIE LIST?!

I'm struggling to understand any opinion that Jaws isn't horror. It evokes the exact responses in audiences that a horror movie sets out to do. If there's a single movie that sparks a fear of the ocean, it's this one. Is it because it;s Speilberg? OR because it made a lot of money? :shrug:
For me, I hadn't thought about it too much while doing my initial pass, but it wasn't in my top 40. I guess I would just refer back to IK's post and thoughts about SotL. This is the movie I referred to that is in my top 5 all time movies, so it would score quite high on the movie quality line, but for my initial thoughts it wasn't "horror enough", but honestly haven't thought about it much after that. There are a few that I don't really have a great reason for leaving off, love a lot, but still don't feel right putting on a list of horror movies - Psycho, Silence of the Lambs, Jaws are the top ones I was thinking about.

It's one of the reasons I struggled with the list. If I admitted it's horror, it should be at the top if it's one of my all time movies, right? But it still didn't feel right having it in my top 5 horror movies list and I didn't want to have movies like that in the 40s-50s either. :shrug:

You wouldn't feel right having, excuse me [checks notes], Psycho on a ####ING HORROR MOVIE LIST?!
Correct. To me Hitchcock = suspense/thriller. Sure, Psycho is the most horror of them, but to me we are right back to that Silence of the Lambs/Se7en territory and debate.

I admit, I struggle a little bit in general with pre-70s horror. I only had 1 maybe 2 in my top 40-50. I like and appreciate a lot of them, but not enough to rate them too highly. Also when I think about those decades I tend to do a little bit side by side, and if I can think of better examples of horror movies, we are right back to that first part above. In that same year we have stuff like Eyes Without a Face, Black Sunday, Peeping Tom, Village of the Damned. I wouldn't argue they are all better movies, but I'd start to argue they might be better horror movies. Psycho isn't my favorite Hitchcock, and not sure it's in his top 5 for me either, so there's that as well.

Probably not the best example. Jaws and Silence were the struggles because both of those are all-time movies for me. Psycho isn't.

If I do a double feature I seem to pair it with something goofy. Either another "vacation" movie like Great Outdoors, or another summer blockbuster. If I am feeling spicy, it will be something like the reamake Piranha. :lol:

I think this is why I like so many found footage movies. It seems I don't love zombie movies, or vampires, or creature features. It seems like gravitate to hauntings and the horrors of humans.

I am out of town and will catch up in my thoughts on a bunch of movies covered in the last few pages.

We are now in the absolute gold standards in the horror genre.

Maybe a fun way to do some missed movies would be to post 1 from each subgenre that wasn't on the list, like:

Found Footage
Zombie
Vampire/werewolf
Slasher
Haunting

Etc..

Another way I was thinking about it is if I was programming a horror event at a theater or bought tickets to one, does this movie belong in the mix? (insert whatever movie was being debated in the thread)

#4 - The Exorcist​

12-year-old Regan MacNeil begins to adapt an explicit new personality as strange events befall the local area of Georgetown. Her mother becomes torn between science and superstition in a desperate bid to save her daughter, and ultimately turns to her last hope: Father Damien Karras, a troubled priest who is struggling with his own faith.

William Friedkin
Possession, Creepy Kid
USA

IMDB: 80
Metacritic: 82
RottenTomatoes: 86

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDGw1MTEe9k

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-exorcist

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 6
Brunell4MVP 21
dickey dad 12
dickey moe 1
ilov80s 3
IvanKaramazov 17
jamny 2
Keith R 1
Scoresman 1
shuke 9
The Gator 8
Todem 7
UncleZen 2
WVU Alum 21
Yambag 22

#4 - The Exorcist​

12-year-old Regan MacNeil begins to adapt an explicit new personality as strange events befall the local area of Georgetown. Her mother becomes torn between science and superstition in a desperate bid to save her daughter, and ultimately turns to her last hope: Father Damien Karras, a troubled priest who is struggling with his own faith.

William Friedkin
Possession, Creepy Kid
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 6
Brunell4MVP 21
dickey dad 12
dickey moe 1
ilov80s 3
IvanKaramazov 17
jamny 2
Keith R 1
Scoresman 1
shuke 9
The Gator 8
Todem 7
UncleZen 2
WVU Alum 21
Yambag 22

My undisputed #1. I've told the horror thread the story about how my parents thought it would be a great idea to play this movie for 10 year old Scoresman. The only movie in my life I had to stop watching. I went back and watched it the next day though and felt very brave.

The stark contrast between Regan's innocence and what she becomes is what makes this movie so disturbing and effective.

#4 - The Exorcist​

William Friedkin
Possession, Creepy Kid
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 6
Brunell4MVP 21
dickey dad 12
dickey moe 1
ilov80s 3
IvanKaramazov 17
jamny 2
Keith R 1
Scoresman 1
shuke 9
The Gator 8
Todem 7
UncleZen 2
WVU Alum 21
Yambag 22

Never seen it.

#4 - The Exorcist​

William Friedkin
Possession, Creepy Kid
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 6
Brunell4MVP 21
dickey dad 12
dickey moe 1
ilov80s 3
IvanKaramazov 17
jamny 2
Keith R 1
Scoresman 1
shuke 9
The Gator 8
Todem 7
UncleZen 2
WVU Alum 21
Yambag 22
Noooooooo thought this would for sure be #1.

Hmmm, I kinda thought this would be #1.
My parents went to see this and I remember my Mom screaming in the middle of the night as she went to the bathroom. My father had left a suit hanging on the closet door and I wouldn't doubt it was done on purpose.
They showed an extended clip on the Oscars the following year and it scared the hell out of me.
I actually read the book when it came out and loved it. Probably the first horror novel I ever read. Finally saw it at a midnight movie a few years later with a bunch of friends. Just blown away by it and it still holds up.

The Exorcist is also the only movie where all of its votes are top 25.

The # 4, 3, and 2 movies all had 15 votes, which means each movie has two people who didnt vote for them. I'd be interested in hearing why for these.
I rewatched this a few months ago with my 18 yr old son. He thought it was pretty terrible due to the datedness of it and I couldn't really disagree (about the datedness part of it). It kind of took away from the scary to some degree and took a bit of the shine off.

I still liked it and it did give me terrible nightmares in my youth after watching it the first time but it's unfortunate that it lost something due to the oldness of it. It's things like this that make me wish a movie like this could be remade to lose the datedness of it and still keep the same "feels" and flow and not lose what made it great.

The # 4, 3, and 2 movies all had 15 votes, which means each movie has two people who didnt vote for them. I'd be interested in hearing why for these.
I rewatched this a few months ago with my 18 yr old son. He thought it was pretty terrible due to the datedness of it and I couldn't really disagree (about the datedness part of it). It kind of took away from the scary to some degree and took a bit of the shine off.

I still liked it and it did give me terrible nightmares in my youth after watching it the first time but it's unfortunate that it lost something due to the oldness of it. It's things like this that make me wish a movie like this could be remade to lose the datedness of it and still keep the same "feels" and flow and not lose what made it great.
Isn't this going to be the case for any film that's 50 years old?

Isn't this going to be the case for any film that's 50 years old?
For sure. There isn't anything that can be done but in many cases younger people that didn't see these movies for the first time in those eras get caught up in the effects/etc and it detracts from the movie. It shouldn't but it just does (for many people).

Except the Exorcist has scares other than just the makeup they put on Regan. The scariest scene for me has always been the first time she's on the bed and she's just bouncing up and down on it screaming, then finally she lets out this guttural growl and you see her eyes turn white and this horrendous lump appears in her throat. Stuff like that remains terrifying to me.

Except the Exorcist has scares other than just the makeup they put on Regan. The scariest scene for me has always been the first time she's on the bed and she's just bouncing up and down on it screaming, then finally she lets out this guttural growl and you see her eyes turn white and this horrendous lump appears in her throat. Stuff like that remains terrifying to me.
Agreed and those things have a greater affect when it takes you back to the feelings you had when you first saw it. But for someone that is seeing it for the very first time in 2024 it does take some of that away. It's unfortunate but it just does

You can't remake The Exorcist today. That movie was the product of a very specific time in US history when social values, especially regarding religion, were changing rapidly in a way that left some portion of the population uneasy. That's why there are so many "devil" and "evil cult" movies coming out of this era. A 2024 remake with an old Catholic priest as the hero just isn't going to hit the same way.

Part of enjoying old movies (sorry, but The Exorcist is officially "old") is placing them in their historical context and engaging them on those terms. That's true for pretty much all films, not just horror. But it definitely applies here IMO.

Edit: Also, Scoresman is right that this movie has a bunch of "little things" that it just wouldn't be right to change. The practical effects in The Exorcist are excellent and hold up really well. You know they would botch this stuff if they remade it with modern technology.

Last edited:
One thing that does stand the test of time, is the demon's voice.

Nowadays, the standard "possessed" voice is just a modulated, layered voice that sounds terrible in comparison. Whenever I hear it in a movie, I roll my eyes.

One thing that does stand the test of time, is the demon's voice.

Nowadays, the standard "possessed" voice is just a modulated, layered voice that sounds terrible in comparison. Whenever I hear it in a movie, I roll my eyes.
Mercedes McCambridge was a terrific actress.

She was originally not credited for her voice work after director William Friedkin assured her that she would be. An appeal by her to the Screen Actors Guild rectified this matter, and a new print of the film was made with her name in the credits.

#4 - The Exorcist​

William Friedkin
Possession, Creepy Kid
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 6
Brunell4MVP 21
dickey dad 12
dickey moe 1
ilov80s 3
IvanKaramazov 17
jamny 2
Keith R 1
Scoresman 1
shuke 9
The Gator 8
Todem 7
UncleZen 2
WVU Alum 21
Yambag 22

My undisputed #1. I've told the horror thread the story about how my parents thought it would be a great idea to play this movie for 10 year old Scoresman. The only movie in my life I had to stop watching. I went back and watched it the next day though and felt very brave.

The stark contrast between Regan's innocence and what she becomes is what makes this movie so disturbing and effective.
One of the most memorable movie experiences of my life.

Growing up in a Catholic family, I heard about this movie from a very early age. Everyone would say "Oh, I can't watch that movie, it's way too scary!" or words to that effect. That was the only movie they spoke of in that way. So of course I knew I had to see it. But I figured it the movie was THAT scary, I better wait until I have the chance to see it on a big screen.

Then finally, when I was in college, a local theater screened it at midnight of Halloween weekend. My friend and I went with our girlfriends and I was riveted. With that level of anticipation instilled in my mind for that long, anything less than a legendary movie would have been a letdown, but it lived up to the hype and then some. At various times, I could feel my gf burying her face in my shoulder but I didn't so much as look at her, lest I miss something. About a half hour in, my friend's gf couldn't take it so they left, and I barely managed a nod as they did so (he called me the next day, angry that he missed the experience). My gf toughed it out but later confessed she wanted to leave but wasn't going to do that to me. She had nightmares for a few days after though. Needless to say, it was an awesome experience.

I saw it maybe once more on TV and it held up well, so I knew my experience, while memorable, wasn't shaping my opinion too much. Then about 7 years later, they were rescreening it, so I took my new wife (different girl) to see it. She was enthralled - terrified but she enjoyed the experience tremendously. Since then, we've seen it several times together on TV. Still captivating to this day. My #1 and will probably always remain so, with only one other film (not yet listed) even in the conversation.

#3 - Halloween​

Fifteen years after murdering his sister on Halloween Night 1963, Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to the small town of Haddonfield, Illinois to kill again.

John Carpenter
Slasher
USA

IMDB: 78
Metacritic: 81
RottenTomatoes: 92

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ke9IPTIJQ

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/halloween

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 5
Brunell4MVP 32
dickey moe 8
Frostillicus 6
ilov80s 4
IvanKaramazov 1
jamny 23
Keith R 10
Scoresman 22
shuke 6
The Gator 7
Todem 1
UncleZen 1
WVU Alum 11
Yambag 4

#3 - Halloween​

Fifteen years after murdering his sister on Halloween Night 1963, Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to the small town of Haddonfield, Illinois to kill again.

John Carpenter
Slasher
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 5
Brunell4MVP 32
dickey moe 8
Frostillicus 6
ilov80s 4
IvanKaramazov 1
jamny 23
Keith R 10
Scoresman 22
shuke 6
The Gator 7
Todem 1
UncleZen 1
WVU Alum 11
Yambag 4
Thought this would be #1 with a bullet - or multiple bullets that didn't take down Michael.

#3 - Halloween​

John Carpenter
Slasher
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 5
Brunell4MVP 32
dickey moe 8
Frostillicus 6
ilov80s 4
IvanKaramazov 1
jamny 23
Keith R 10
Scoresman 22
shuke 6
The Gator 7
Todem 1
UncleZen 1
WVU Alum 11
Yambag 4
This is my version of the "My parents unwisely let me watch this movie at a young, impressionable age and it will always be part of my identity" story that others have shared about other films. I'm not sure that it is my most-rewatched movie ever, but it is definitely on such a list. I consider it not just the best horror movie ever made, but also the best suspense movie ever made, and I know that's saying something.

What you have to do with Halloween is just try to forget that they made any sequels. Forget the thing about Laurie and Michael being related. Forget any supernatural stuff involving Michael's backstory. Just go with what's on screen and nothing else. It's just a homicidal force of nature, and a bunch of random babysitters, and a few adults who aren't really prepared for this.

The Exorcist is my first shot of heroine and I've been chasing the dragon ever since. I mentioned earlier in the thread that my wheelhouse for horror movies is devil/demon movies and it's because of the atmosphere and pure sense of terror I got watching Exorcist the first time when I was 13, home alone and I decided to turn all the lights off at 9:00 on a dark winter night. I never wanted the presence of my annoying siblings as much in my life and I was paralyzed when I had to get up to pee. The light switch was alllll the way over there against the wall. 😨

I had nightmares for a long long time afterwards. I don't do roller coasters but I imagine the feel is similar, the adrenaline rush is fantastic and it's all thanks to Regan and her inner pal.

#3 - Halloween​

John Carpenter
Slasher
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 5
Brunell4MVP 32
dickey moe 8
Frostillicus 6
ilov80s 4
IvanKaramazov 1
jamny 23
Keith R 10
Scoresman 22
shuke 6
The Gator 7
Todem 1
UncleZen 1
WVU Alum 11
Yambag 4
This is my version of the "My parents unwisely let me watch this movie at a young, impressionable age and it will always be part of my identity" story that others have shared about other films. I'm not sure that it is my most-rewatched movie ever, but it is definitely on such a list. I consider it not just the best horror movie ever made, but also the best suspense movie ever made, and I know that's saying something.

What you have to do with Halloween is just try to forget that they made any sequels. Forget the thing about Laurie and Michael being related. Forget any supernatural stuff involving Michael's backstory. Just go with what's on screen and nothing else. It's just a homicidal force of nature, and a bunch of random babysitters, and a few adults who aren't really prepared for this.

If we're just going with what's on screen, I'll go to my grave saying Black Christmas is the better pure slasher movie.

But there's no doubt Halloween is way more iconic.

I've come to realize in this exercise, that slashers aren't really my thing. Halloween still makes my list at 23 and I did love it but none of them make my Top 10.

#3 - Halloween​

John Carpenter
Slasher
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 5
Brunell4MVP 32
dickey moe 8
Frostillicus 6
ilov80s 4
IvanKaramazov 1
jamny 23
Keith R 10
Scoresman 22
shuke 6
The Gator 7
Todem 1
UncleZen 1
WVU Alum 11
Yambag 4
Scene 1: Michael, out of focus, sits up behind Laurie and she isn't aware; Turn Around Laurie!!!!
Scene 2: Doc looks out the window to see...Michaels imprint and nothing more, no body, no Michael.
Add that to the first 80 minutes and **chef's kiss** !

#3 - Halloween​

John Carpenter
Slasher
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 5
Brunell4MVP 32
dickey moe 8
Frostillicus 6
ilov80s 4
IvanKaramazov 1
jamny 23
Keith R 10
Scoresman 22
shuke 6
The Gator 7
Todem 1
UncleZen 1
WVU Alum 11
Yambag 4
**chef's kiss** !
We're not doing that anymore.

#3 - Halloween​

John Carpenter
Slasher
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 5
Brunell4MVP 32
dickey moe 8
Frostillicus 6
ilov80s 4
IvanKaramazov 1
jamny 23
Keith R 10
Scoresman 22
shuke 6
The Gator 7
Todem 1
UncleZen 1
WVU Alum 11
Yambag 4
**chef's kiss** !
We're not doing that anymore.
qué?

I would venture to say that The Exorcist affects a person to the degree that they are spiritual in nature - specifically of course Christian/Catholic.
I'm as atheist as they come and the movie sure as hell affected me.

Mr. krista as well. Atheist and talks frequently about how this is the most terrifying movie he's ever seen.

By the way, I haven't been posting in here because I don't have the expertise of you guys, but fantastic thread! I have watched a couple from this list that I hadn't seen before and have a healthy list of more to see.

#4 - The Exorcist​

William Friedkin
Possession, Creepy Kid
USA

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
BroncoFreak_2k3 6
Brunell4MVP 21
dickey dad 12
dickey moe 1
ilov80s 3
IvanKaramazov 17
jamny 2
Keith R 1
Scoresman 1
shuke 9
The Gator 8
Todem 7
UncleZen 2
WVU Alum 21
Yambag 22

Never seen it.
Not horror. ;)

I would venture to say that The Exorcist affects a person to the degree that they are spiritual in nature - specifically of course Christian/Catholic.
I'm as atheist as they come and the movie sure as hell affected me.

Mr. krista as well. Atheist and talks frequently about how this is the most terrifying movie he's ever seen.

By the way, I haven't been posting in here because I don't have the expertise of you guys, but fantastic thread! I have watched a couple from this list that I hadn't seen before and have a healthy list of more to see.
Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I just know that when I saw it during my "believer" years it affected me more than when I became agnostic. Maybe it's just because I'm older.

Users who are viewing this thread