What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1992 Lists due 5/13 (3 Viewers)

Need a ruling here.  If a movie came out in 1992, but later had an "Assembly Cut" that made the film light years better than the original, are we scoring the original 1992 release or the later released Assembly cut?  

The film in question is Alien 3.  The theatrical release was not very good.  The production of the movie was so horribly handled by the film studio, it almost made director David Fincher quit the industry.  They basically took away all of his directorial freedom, resulting in the theatrical release being fairly bad.  The later released Assembly cut, however, is excellent and changes so many aspects of the plot, it's like a different movie and is more in line with Fincher's original vision for it.  

Last of the Mohicans is a top 10 soundtrack alltime for me.

Also, I'm a sucker for historical fiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
can we plz check.politics at the ####### door?

that's worse than snobbery/snobbery backlash.

TIA
This was just a comment about how so many of the negative reviews I find on imdb are about liberal Holloywood, the bad portrayal of the white man, or the negative portrayal of people of faith, nothing more.   Ie - the posts in the last poll for Glory and Major League.  

This was just a comment about how so many of the negative reviews I find on imdb are about liberal Holloywood, the bad portrayal of the white man, or the negative portrayal of people of faith, nothing more.   Ie - the posts in the last poll for Glory and Major League.  
i particularly held my ####### tongue and nose for the stench of "Do The Right Thing"

i could go fitty pages deep as to why that sack o' #### dreck and it's pipsqueak, racist ########### puppet master were the worst thing foisted on the pop culture scene in '89, but i digressed - i did not wanna turn this into the friggin' PSF. 

just no.  gotDAMN no. 

ETA: there was a great story/movie to be told, and he decided to #### all over it - it was a chance for greatness and provocative truths ... but we got a glorified cartoon, bunch of bull#### bully pulpit chicanery as a backdrop for him to lob some incendiary bombs. 

/rant. 

Movies that deserve points on my initial review:

Aladdin

Lethal Weapon 3

A Few Good Men

Bodyguard

Wayne's World

Basic Instinct

League of their Own

Unforgiven

Under Siege

Patriot Games

White Men Can't Jump

Boomerang

Scent of a Woman

My Cousin Vinny

Sneakers

Mighty Ducks

Malcolm X

Muppet Christmas Carol

The Cutting Edge

Captain Ron

Mr. Baseball

Freejack

School Ties

Mr. Saturday Night

Glengarry Glen Ross

Diggstown

Reservoir Dogs

The Panama Deception

I was a teenager at the time so movies like Basic Instinct had an "appeal."
I was 10 when that came out and I remember knowing about what happened due to the way it permeated pop culture. I was really excited to see it and I remember my parents finally renting it maybe a year later. After they went to bed I snuck it in and FF through it to find the good parts. I actually am not sure if I ever really saw the movie. I need to check it out again.

Also, Do the Right Thing was a great movie. I was disappointed with it's ranking but didn't really want to get into because it's a bit political. Maybe we should leave that out of here, but I just wanted to defend a brilliant movie.

Also, Do the Right Thing was a great movie. I was disappointed with it's ranking but didn't really want to get into because it's a bit political. Maybe we should leave that out of here, but I just wanted to defend a brilliant movie.
you're defending your viewpoint, not the movie - nothing is brilliant lest the beholder deems it as such. 

... and i took my chance to slag it, so it's garbage. (see? works both ways).

also to illustrate to KP that dragging ham fisted political posts up in these threads would blow. 

you're defending your viewpoint, not the movie - nothing is brilliant lest the beholder deems it as such. 

... and i took my chance to slag it, so it's garbage. (see? works both ways).

also to illustrate to KP that dragging ham fisted political posts up in these threads would blow. 
Sure and you defended yours. To each their own. Your comments on DTR were probably the most negative review any person has given any movie in any of these threads. I thought that was really extreme. You didn't care for it and you don't like Spike. Fine. 

Sure and you defended yours. To each their own. Your comments on DTR were probably the most negative review any person has given any movie in any of these threads. I thought that was really extreme. You didn't care for it and you don't like Spike. Fine. 
ok, and your Pavlovian adulation of DTRT and the "director" are equally extreme to me ... i will give him this, he sure succeeded in brainwashing a ton of folks ... so, credit where its due, i guess. 

the most negative review any person has given any movie in any of these threads. I thought that was really extreme. 
wait 'til i get a hold of "Mr. Saturday Night" ... you ain't seen nuttin' yet. 

:popcorn:

ok, and your Pavlovian adulation of DTRT and the "director" are equally extreme to me ... i will give him this, he sure succeeded in brainwashing a ton of folks ... so, credit where its due, i guess. 
I like one movie, it's not all that extreme of a take. 

wait 'til i get a hold of "Mr. Saturday Night" ... you ain't seen nuttin' yet. 

:popcorn:
Well you won't get any arguments there, I have never seen it and it doesn't sound all that interesting. 

i particularly held my ####### tongue and nose for the stench of "Do The Right Thing"

i could go fitty pages deep as to why that sack o' #### dreck and it's pipsqueak, racist ########### puppet master were the worst thing foisted on the pop culture scene in '89, but i digressed - i did not wanna turn this into the friggin' PSF. 

just no.  gotDAMN no. 

ETA: there was a great story/movie to be told, and he decided to #### all over it - it was a chance for greatness and provocative truths ... but we got a glorified cartoon, bunch of bull#### bully pulpit chicanery as a backdrop for him to lob some incendiary bombs. 

/rant. 
This is obviously your cause, and I get having issues with spike... But...

I appreciate/d how his films we're shot, especially use of color. Always nice to look at. His flattening of characters into paper think stereotypes was frustrating- but imo served the greater purpose of what he was trying to do. Subtle, no. But I genuinely think that lack of subtlety helped broader audiences get the points he was making about race, class or gender. Yeah, a better movie would've been handled with a more refined touch- but the hammering heavy hand worked here... for a bit.

I actually loved Malcolm X, because he had acultual people to work with, which made cartooning them down unnecessary.

I actually loved Malcolm X, because he had acultual people to work with, which made cartooning them down unnecessary.
Malcolm X will probably be my #1 for '92 and i didnt really care for DTRT (gave it a few points for impact) and dont like Spike Lee films in general.

puke at Crystal 
i will stipulate that one must like Billy Crystal almost as much as Billy Crystal does to fully enjoy MrSN

This is obviously your cause, and I get having issues with spike... But...

I appreciate/d how his films we're shot, especially use of color. Always nice to look at. His flattening of characters into paper think stereotypes was frustrating- but imo served the greater purpose of what he was trying to do. Subtle, no. But I genuinely think that lack of subtlety helped broader audiences get the points he was making about race, class or gender. Yeah, a better movie would've been handled with a more refined touch- but the hammering heavy hand worked here... for a bit.

fair enough. 

been close to 30 years now since this hair raked across my ###, so, seeing it dredged up again brings me back to NYC circa mid/late 80s, and all it's trappings.  this film was an amatuerish (at best) stab at the state of race relations ... at it's worst it was no more than an incendiary ego stroke.  

i will say, though, i do kinda get your gist, and it does bathe the endeavor in a more flattering light (kudos for getting me to begrudge that). 

i still loathe it, that's forever. 

your latter point about is spot on ... didn't care for that one either, but his flesh out, whether or not one saw it as a tad expedient, showed more accumen for extrapolation via "reality" and depth of field. 

This is another year for me where the dramas and critical faves are getting pushed down for personal faves as I watch and re-watch these.  

Reservoir Dogs and Unforgiven aren't going anywhere, but Last of the Mohicans Scent of a Woman didn't hold up on the re-watch, and probably won't make the cut.    I don't think faves like Muppet Christmas Carol, Army of Darkness, Boomerang or Candyman will be knocked from the list.  

Need a ruling here.  If a movie came out in 1992, but later had an "Assembly Cut" that made the film light years better than the original, are we scoring the original 1992 release or the later released Assembly cut?  

The film in question is Alien 3.  The theatrical release was not very good.  The production of the movie was so horribly handled by the film studio, it almost made director David Fincher quit the industry.  They basically took away all of his directorial freedom, resulting in the theatrical release being fairly bad.  The later released Assembly cut, however, is excellent and changes so many aspects of the plot, it's like a different movie and is more in line with Fincher's original vision for it.  
Bump, this got lost in the politics derail.

Soundtrack is a amazing.  It didn't make the movie any less dull to watch though.  
The movie is a Fast & Furious iteration compared to the book.

And another reminder that unless you have the Laserdisc version, you're not seeing the (superior) Theatrical Release.

http://screencrush.com/last-of-the-mohicans-25th-anniversary/

Director Michael Mann’s original cut of the film was about three hours, far longer than the studio wanted. So its summer release date was pushed back to the fall, giving time for Mann to re-edit the film. When he had finished the 112-minute cut that made it to theaters, the first composer, Trevor Jones, was unavailable to readjust his original work to the newer, shorter version. So Mann hired Randy Edelman, who added his own touches with a very different feel.

Jones’ compositions may be the more familiar, but Edelman offers valuable connective tissue. His pieces are softer and slower, a velvet glove to Jones’ iron fist. (That the film now had two credited composers may have been another reason the Academy did not consider it.) It seems strange now, but Mann originally wanted an electronic score, rather than an orchestral one.

What's Lessons of Darkness?

Because I have an idea.  It's not G rated, probably against the rules here, and overall not my cup of that particular tea.

@krista4 - is Lessons of Darkness worth a watch?

Another doc that I remember really liking for this year was Brother's Keeper.  
I liked Brother's Keeper too.  Not completely dissimilar from Making a Murderer.  Currently giving it a couple of points, but I'm not sure if it will stay that way.

Another doc that I liked was "Feed," but I probably won't give it points.  It is principally composed of satellite feeds of candidates from the 1992 primaries/election taken from before they went on the air.  Kind of interesting to see them when aren't quite "on."  It's not as memorable as "The War Room" for a doc on the 1992 election though, and I find it hard not to compare the two.

I was kidding, just wanted to poke AD some more.  It won't be high on my list, but will probably be on it.  

Roger Murtaugh: I knew you couldn't stop smoking.

Martin Riggs: I'm only smoking to take my mind off my dog biscuit problem.

Roger Murtaugh: What dog biscuit problem?

Martin Riggs: Well I been chasing more cars lately and uh, y'know, when I try and lick my balls I keep falling off the couch.

Users who are viewing this thread