What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1989 It's snail paced Countdown Monday!! (1 Viewer)

This seems like a down year. 

When S, L, & V is mentioned as one of the better critically acclaimed movies, the year itself might have a problem.  

I think Say Anything might have been my favorite, and I was never in love with the characters. I liked the story, really, though.  

Roger & Me was '89 and that might be the other. 

Parenthood was quality. 

I have not seen C&M, but I trust ilov's taste.  

I remember Fabulous Baker Boys boring the hell out of my sixteen year-old self, though Pfeiffer was pretty fetching, IIRC.  

I remember Fabulous Baker Boys boring the hell out of my sixteen year-old self, though Pfeiffer was pretty fetching, IIRC.  
The script and cinematography of Baker Boys reminded me of a film noir from the 40s/50s. One of my favorite genres, but I could see that as boring to a 16 year old. Pfeiffer is indeed fetching though, and Jeff Bridges was as great as he always is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The script and cinematography of Baker Boys reminded me of a film noir from the 40s/50s. One of my favorite genres, but I could see that as boring to a 16 year old. Pfeiffer is indeed fetching though, and Jeff Bridges was as great as he always is. 
Yeah, I had no appreciation for neo-noirs yet. I qualified my own critical chops by noting my age at the time. Huh. Maybe this would have fun to participate in this one and re-watch some of the more respected ones.  

It’s unlikely we come up with a worse number one movie. I mean I ranked Major League and it’s a fun movie but it’s no Godfather 2.
Yeah.  I'm out.  I'm going to watch some recommendations from the next years and post about them, but I think I've reached the limit of my participation in these polls.

#4  253pts

16/5

If you build it, he will come.

He was growing something more than just corn...

I won't say that this was the worst movie I have ever seen, because there are sure a lot of stinkers. However this seems to be the worst well reviewed movie. A lot of people thought it was great; I just found it to be moronic. The reluctant corn farmer (played by Kevin Costner) hears voices telling him to build a baseball field in his corn field. He somehow is able to obtain the lights and necessary equipment to do so. Don't even try to make sense of any of the logic in this movie - there isn't any. Once the field is built a bunch of ghost baseball players come out of the cornfields to play ball. However only a few people (probably those who have used LSD) can see them.

Through it all despite the fact that his loss of cropland used to build this ball is going to cause the them to lose the farm Costner grinds on with steely resolve. Farmer Costner's wife played by some actress that I thankfully have never seen before.) supports him all the way with a kind of annoying perkiness and pluck that she must have learned from watching tapes of Kathy Lee Gifford and Katie Couric. As this ludicrous farce progresses Costner drives off to pick up a washed-up hippy author played by James Earl Jones. The character of Jones has nothing to do with the plot of the movie but apparently those who made it just wanted him in the movie. Costner and Jones then pick up the ghost of a ball player turned doctor (played by Burt Lancaster.) Lancaster loved being a doctor but always regretted giving up playing ball now he has a second chance until he save Costners daughter from choking on a hot-dog. She was accidentally pushed off the bleachers by the farmers evil banker brother-in-law who has come to foreclose on the farm's mortgage. Once Lancaster has become a doctor to save the child's life he can no longer play ball. As I wrote before don't even try to figure out this. films logic. Everything ends well however since there are cares lined up in front of the farm to pay 20 dollars to watch ghosts play baseball. the ghost of Costner's character's father, a one time ball player then shows up to play catch with his son - Oh how sweet! The best thing about the movie was that it finally ended. Do not watch this piece of garbage.

FIELD OF DREAMS
I will kill this person.

#2  270pts

14/5

Give 'em Hell, 54!

Heavy-Handed, Emotional War Story

Here's another one of those films I really, really liked on the first go-round and was very disappointed on the second look years later. Maybe, by the second viewing after I had watched thousands of movies since first seeing this, I just got tired of the "race issue." Yeah, I am sure black people had to get treated with little respect back in the Civil War days, as well as many other days until recent decades, but I don't need to be shown the evil white man for two straight hours. We get the point earlier on and it doesn't need to hammered over and over and over. Denzel Washington, as great an actor as he is, seems to specialize in race-issue movies. He and Spike Lee need to move on. In this movie, every Caucasion but one (played by Matthew Broderick) is a racist bad-guy. Enough said.

GLORY
Im sure black people got treated with very little respect back in Civil War days.

I don't think a dumber sentence has ever been written. 

Yeah.  I'm out.  I'm going to watch some recommendations from the next years and post about them, but I think I've reached the limit of my participation in these polls.
:thumbup:   to each their own as far as taste goes, but i agree ... will stay for '92 just to vote up "Glengarry", but ... what's the point afterwards

Shouldn't this mean the opposite? We need more people ranking movies that aren't terrible, not less.
please take a gander at the lists ... what's the end game here?  it's a popularity contest, few are being judged on merit   :shrug:

which is fine, but not gonna waste much more time up on these. 

:thumbup:   to each their own as far as taste goes, but i agree ... will stay for '92 just to vote up "Glengarry", but ... what's the point afterwards

please take a gander at the lists ... what's the end game here?  it's a popularity contest, few are being judged on merit   :shrug:

which is fine, but not gonna waste much more time up on these. 
Too bad

I still like these and almost don't care what the FFA rankings are- I enjoy remembering the year and movies, some of which I'd forgotten about really liking (in my own list- not the godawful final countdown of crap I didn't even like as a dopey kid). And some of you...yourself and Krista especially- remind me of more that I'd forgotten about or better yet, should still see. Losing that would really suck.

Yeah, I dropped out not because I didn't like the rankings, but because I didn't consider myself qualified enough and couldn't put in the time to get up to speed. I should actually know 1992, though maybe 1994 might be an easier year. Given the lists, I might be back in, though I'm no otb or Krista.  

Y'all wanted to know that, right.  ;)

Buncha snobs. I'm totally shocked, shocked I tells ya, that a stupid guy comedy about baseball scored high on a message board filled with middle aged sports nerds who play magic football.

There are good movies and good cinema. Major League was a good movie. Terrible cinema. But few movies are good cinema.  Godfather is one, sure. I think the top 5 was rather solid for the year. 

Buncha snobs. I'm totally shocked, shocked I tells ya, that a stupid guy comedy about baseball scored high on a message board filled with middle aged sports nerds who play magic football.

There are good movies and good cinema. Major League was a good movie. Terrible cinema. But few movies are good cinema.  Godfather is one, sure. I think the top 5 was rather solid for the year. 
ahhhhh yes, the inevitable "finger wag" at the snobs ...

did you miss where i said "to each their own" and "that's fine" (in reference to the lists)?

very huge troof to what you stated in regard to the demographics at play here - and i have zero problem with that - 'cuz i know for damn sure this is a skewed endeavor  :shrug:

final note, as much as i disagree with "Major League" at #1, i'd watch it a zillion times before sitting through even one minute of "Do The Right Thing", so it has that going for it   :popcorn:

I would have thought Field of Dreams was going to win or Glory. Major League was a big surprise, but 89 is a very light year for Best Picture type movies. I enjoy the exercise as a reason to rewatch some old favorites, catch-up on some new movies I haven't seen and just talk movies with like minded people. 

ahhhhh yes, the inevitable "finger wag" at the snobs ...

did you miss where i said "to each their own" and "that's fine" (in reference to the lists)?

very huge troof to what you stated in regard to the demographics at play here - and i have zero problem with that - 'cuz i know for damn sure this is a skewed endeavor  :shrug:

final note, as much as i disagree with "Major League" at #1, i'd watch it a zillion times before sitting through even one minute of "Do The Right Thing", so it has that going for it   :popcorn:
My #1 was Christmas Vacation. I think that tells you where I was coming from this year.

Shouldn't this mean the opposite? We need more people ranking movies that aren't terrible, not less.
Exactly. 

Terrible isn't the word I was going to use, but we do need some balance and participation from all spectrums of the movie loving demographic around here.  

My #1 was Christmas Vacation. I think that tells you where I was coming from this year.
cool enough ... and i do appreciate your passion and posts up in these flick threads ... i may not agree on most, but the opines on your chosen movies come from a place of great respect and admiration - and that's always the greatest angle up in here. 

Exactly. 

Terrible isn't the word I was going to use, but we do need some balance and participation from all spectrums of the movie loving demographic around here.  
Meh, I can do without the foreign language black and white documentaries about snuff films set in 15th century Italy told by some newspaper writer from the 50's who hasn't seen a computer screen in their entire life and still thinks deodorant is a witches brew.

cool enough ... and i do appreciate your passion and posts up in these flick threads ... i may not agree on most, but the opines on your chosen movies come from a place of great respect and admiration - and that's always the greatest angle up in here. 
Truth.

Although, seriously, whoever wrote that review of Field of Dreams needs to be murdered.

Exactly. 

Right, I am not saying Major League was terrible. I gave it points. It's just not the movie I thought would finish at 1. I figured it would be around 5-10. To me that is fun though. If every years poll comes out as chalk, then what was the point of the polling? It makes the polling more interesting when we diverge from the Oscars or traditional "Best of __" lists. 

Meh, I can do without the foreign language black and white documentaries about snuff films set in 15th century Italy told by some newspaper writer from the 50's who hasn't seen a computer screen in their entire life and still thinks deodorant is a witches brew.
One of the interesting things of looking at these movies by years is it is easy to see how film has changed and what types of movies were being made (and made well). The 70s seemed like New Hollywood wanted take all the classics from the 30s and 40s, particularly the darker films and give them an even harder edge of violence, sex and distrust. The 80s were more about sex comedies and adventure films. I find the connection between moves, history and sociology/psychology of the time very interesting. 

Here's the thing - I am going to chalk this one to agreeing with what ilov80s said - it wasn't a top heavy year to begin with.  1992 will get us back to a year where I THINK the popular will also mix with some critically praised movies.   I would assume Unforgiven, A Few Good Men, Glengarry,  and Reservoir Dogs will be the movies at the top fighting.  We aren't going to ever get many foreign movies, documentaries,  or "snobby" dramas (PTA, Aronofsky, etc..)  in the top few spots.  I expect those to be scattered at the bottom of the countdown with a couple getting into the top 7-15 or so.  

Like Floppo said, if we don't like the results of this countdown, the reaction should be more participation and discussion about these other movies.  The more this tilts to one side or the other, the less fun this is going to be.  Even if people like krista or otb_ seriously aren't going to continue submitting lists, I would still love them to come in for the banter and to throw out a few titles that they think people should try when the new threads open up.   The voting is 1/2 of it, but I think 1/2 is also getting people to watch something they might not have otherwise.  I have throttled my watching a little so I can participate more in the actual year's thread instead of being so far ahead.  I think the banter was lacking a little in this one, and that could have been a little to do with the make up of the type of movies for the year too.  

Hopefully we don't lose more and more people.  IMO 20+ lists is where we should be targeting to try to get a mix of types of lists.  

I will also comment that it seems like the voters who lean towards the "snobby" side of things also seem to have more movies on their lists.  

my '89 list, fwiw:

30  Field of Dreams

25  Valmont

25  Slaves of New York

25  Born on the 4th of July

25  Drugstore Cowboy

25  Last Exit to Brooklyn

25  The Big Picture

20  Dead Poet's Society

I get what you are saying, but I like those and they have their place.  I started these to get discussion from people passionate about movies about all types of movies.  If I wanted to see the same old lists as always, I would just google a couple lists.  

Here's the thing - I am going to chalk this one to agreeing with what ilov80s said - it wasn't a top heavy year to begin with.  1992 will get us back to a year where I THINK the popular will also mix with some critically praised movies.   I would assume Unforgiven, A Few Good Men, Glengarry,  and Reservoir Dogs will be the movies at the top fighting.  We aren't going to ever get many foreign movies, documentaries,  or "snobby" dramas (PTA, Aronofsky, etc..)  in the top few spots.  I expect those to be scattered at the bottom of the countdown with a couple getting into the top 7-15 or so.  

Like Floppo said, if we don't like the results of this countdown, the reaction should be more participation and discussion about these other movies.  The more this tilts to one side or the other, the less fun this is going to be.  Even if people like krista or otb_ seriously aren't going to continue submitting lists, I would still love them to come in for the banter and to throw out a few titles that they think people should try when the new threads open up.   The voting is 1/2 of it, but I think 1/2 is also getting people to watch something they might not have otherwise.  I have throttled my watching a little so I can participate more in the actual year's thread instead of being so far ahead.  I think the banter was lacking a little in this one, and that could have been a little to do with the make up of the type of movies for the year too.  

Hopefully we don't lose more and more people.  IMO 20+ lists is where we should be targeting to try to get a mix of types of lists.  

I will also comment that it seems like the voters who lean towards the "snobby" side of things also seem to have more movies on their lists.  
I'm having a blast.  This is all totally subjective and fun to argue about.

Basically, this entire exercise is quintessentially Shakespearean  - full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Plus, for the year after 1992 we get to have a lot of discussions about gay cowboys in Montana and one of the best years ever for documentaries... 

I get what you are saying, but I like those and they have their place.  I started these to get discussion from people passionate about movies about all types of movies.  If I wanted to see the same old lists as always, I would just google a couple lists.  
True.

I guess, for me, the idea of seeing a documentary or foreign film as entertainment is pretty low on the desire list.  I'm sure there are great ones.  In fact, I have no doubt there are.  But it's just not me.  That isn't to say that I don't like a good historical documentary either.  I just watched one on the History Channel the other night  - After Hitler, about Europe following World War II.  It was brutal, barbaric, heartbreaking, mesmerizing and so good I couldn't turn away.  And I actually learned a couple things that I admittedly had no idea about.  

I have no idea the production of this one, whether others find it good, if it was new or old, or whatever, but I loved it.  I would, however, never go out of my way to watch it again.  

How about we wrap this up, so we can get to a good year ;)   Here are the rest of the movies that got votes:

50-59 pts:

Henry V

The Fabulous Baker Boys

The Big Picture

40-49:

Sex, Lies, and Videotape

Dekalog

Valmont

30-39pts

How to Get Ahead in Advertising

Jesus of Montreal

Roger & Me

How many points did Let it Ride get?  I can't be the only one that liked that movie?  It is full of great lines and Dryfuss was on fire the entire movie.

Can I buy you a drink?

Sure, I don't see why not.... I'm on the pill.

I've got the 4 horse!

The 4 horse?  Nobody bets the 4 horse!  That's the horse they use for the kids to ride and have their picture taken!

#9  145pts

9/3

It's not easy being a cast-iron #####. It takes discipline, and years of training... A lot of people don't appreciate that.

Kind of boring

Mr. Cameron is fond of portraying military people as somehow vacuous and monstrous at the same time, as in "Avatar," where he drives the point home with a vengeance. He gets another golden opportunity at military-bashing here, and his fans probably won't be disappointed. I, for one, got tired very quickly of the characters constantly yelling at and bickering with each other. None of them are particularly likable, especially the female lead. The constant efforts by the female lead's "ex" to make her like him again grow equally tiresome. As a subplot his obsession ends up overshadowing the rest of the story-line. The special effects in this film received a lot of critical praise, but by now they look a bit dated and predictable. Worse yet, they're simply too cutesy to be taken seriously. There were times when I thought I detected the telltale influence of Spielberg in this movie -- and I don't mean that as a compliment.

THE ABYSS
I think it's telling of how awesome this movie is that the worst review we could find still kind of praised it. Now get this damn thing at least on Blu Ray if not 4k! :angry:

BTW - It's Wes Anderson's birthday. That's a "take a day off from work" holiday for some of you weirdos...right? :clyde:

How many points did Let it Ride get?  I can't be the only one that liked that movie?  It is full of great lines and Dryfuss was on fire the entire movie.

Can I buy you a drink?

Sure, I don't see why not.... I'm on the pill.

I've got the 4 horse!

The 4 horse?  Nobody bets the 4 horse!  That's the horse they use for the kids to ride and have their picture taken!
was a tad too autobiographical for me  :D

:deadhorse:

20-29pts:

True Believer

Steel Magnolias

Driving Miss Daisy

Earth Girls Are Easy

UHF

Mystery Train

Last Exit to Brooklyn

Slaves of New York

Kiki's Delivery Service

The Killer

Eddie and the Cruisers 2

Godzilla vs. Biollante

Pet Sematary

10-19:

Santa Sangre

Harlem Nights

Vampire's Kiss

War of the Roses

Fletch Lives

Best of the Best

Lean on Me

Monsieur Hire

Halloween 5

Jacknife

Scandal

Mighty Quinn

Single digits:

Always

Cyborg

Casualties of War

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

Look Who's Talking

License to Kill

Loverboy

Skin Deep

See No Evil, Hear No Evil

Black Rain

The Dream Team

Turner & Hootch

Gross Anatomy

Next of Kin

Three Fugitives

Let it Ride

Milo and Otis

The January Man

New York Stories

Common Threads

Shirley Valentine

Sweetie

Too Beautiful For You

Sea of Love

Weekend at Bernie's

Life and Nothing But

Dream a Little Dream

Karate Kid 3

Kickboxer

No Holds Barred

Chances Are

Nightmare on Elm St. 5

Teen Witch

Wicked Stepmother

Friday the 13th Part 8

The Wizard

Blind Fury

Wait...... Where's Harlem Nights?

How dafuque does Harlem Nights get less than 30 points?  Do you people know how to laugh? Buncha comedy racists.

I don't think I've ever watched Major League all the way through in one sitting. And Field of Dreams only once.

Primarily because baseball is not interesting.

#2  270pts

14/5

Give 'em Hell, 54!

Heavy-Handed, Emotional War Story

Here's another one of those films I really, really liked on the first go-round and was very disappointed on the second look years later. Maybe, by the second viewing after I had watched thousands of movies since first seeing this, I just got tired of the "race issue." Yeah, I am sure black people had to get treated with little respect back in the Civil War days, as well as many other days until recent decades, but I don't need to be shown the evil white man for two straight hours. We get the point earlier on and it doesn't need to hammered over and over and over. Denzel Washington, as great an actor as he is, seems to specialize in race-issue movies. He and Spike Lee need to move on. In this movie, every Caucasion but one (played by Matthew Broderick) is a racist bad-guy. Enough said.

GLORY
I remember reading this other review of Glory on IMDB a couple weeks back.  I felt like it needed to be shared too, because, wow (all the more amazing that it was written by someone whose username is based on Dan Sickles)....

The key thing to understand about GLORY is that it is not really about the Civil War, or slavery, or "the Black Experience in America." What it really explores is the modern American liberal's fear and guilt, in the aftermath of the Civil Rights movement and the racial violence that followed in the NINETEEN Sixties, as opposed to the EIGHTEEN Sixties. 

Notice how the most dangerous and threatening black man in the story is called "Trip." As in, I dropped acid and had a Bad Trip, man. Denzel Washington's character acts and talks nothing like a runaway slave. He's a frightened white liberal's resentful caricature of a Nineteen Sixties Black Panther. All of Trip's rage is presented as selfish, childish, and destructive . . . until the wise and all- knowing black father figure sets him straight. The idea that everything would be okay in the black community if black fathers would just lay down the law is a standard evasion (or cop out) that has been around for fifty years.

Meanwhile, Matthew Broderick is riotously miscast as a seasoned military commander. This performance was so truly awful it became a punch line for years. Yet Broderick's reaction to his black costars (terror and revulsion barely veiled by condescending good will) was really an uncannily accurate portrait of a modern, upper class white liberal's reaction to dealing with black people up close. The real Robert Gould Shaw wouldn't have been intimidated by his own troops, because he didn't have the same level of guilt as a modern liberal, or the same intense awareness of his own hypocrisy. The fear on Matthew Broderick's face is so real it's like he's not even acting! And that's just the point. He's playing his terror, his guilt, not Robert Gould Shaw's. He looks like a white college kid who gets locked in a drunk tank in a big city jail and is about to have his watch taken. The real Robert Gould Shaw was a very different man with a very different view of himself . . . one no modern liberal can really understand, since it was based on a form of Christian faith and American patriotism that has long since vanished from the earth. Or at least from Hollywood and most of the better college campuses. 

So what can you say about GLORY? That it fails to evoke its own era, but reveals far more than it intends to about ours. The battle scenes never seem real, but Matthew Broderick appears truly shell shocked every time Denzel Washington looks him in the eye with open scorn and contempt. 

It's too bad neither of them are acting!

True.

I guess, for me, the idea of seeing a documentary or foreign film as entertainment is pretty low on the desire list.  I'm sure there are great ones.  In fact, I have no doubt there are.  But it's just not me.  That isn't to say that I don't like a good historical documentary either.  I just watched one on the History Channel the other night  - After Hitler, about Europe following World War II.  It was brutal, barbaric, heartbreaking, mesmerizing and so good I couldn't turn away.  And I actually learned a couple things that I admittedly had no idea about.   
You could be joking around, but you seem to be saying that all foreign movies are dull dramas and all docs are dry PBS epics.  

When we get to the years, I would urge you to try a couple.  in 2005 if you aren't at least entertained by Murderball I am not sure what to tell you.  Similar with a foreign movie like The Raid: Redemption when we get to that year.  basically no plot, just balls out action.  IMO if somebody isn't entertained by that movie they don't like action movies.  

Uncle Buck got dissed.  John Candy at his best.  But obviously that's not good enough for the comedy snobs on this board.  You guys are almost as bad as "the academy" when it comes to comedies.

How about we wrap this up, so we can get to a good year ;)   Here are the rest of the movies that got votes:

50-59 pts:

Henry V

The Fabulous Baker Boys

The Big Picture

40-49:

Sex, Lies, and Videotape

Dekalog

Valmont

30-39pts

How to Get Ahead in Advertising

Jesus of Montreal

Roger & Me
Most of my faves

New, from Elite Pictures - 

ROOM OF SNOBS

Yancey Fann, prominent lawyer who's just moved into his dream home, looks upon the wide expanse of the room which will house the mancave/home theater he's been planning since he first became an associate at Dewey, Cheatem & Howe. As he's considering whether to go recliner or sectional he hears a voice that says, "Design it. They will arrive, fashionably late of course, some with plus1s, some without, nevertheless...Design it. They will arrive"

Then, when his installer comes in, the brand new 108inch screen flashes the imdb page of Izzy Quibblekoff and his lone screen credit - key grip on "My Dinner With Andre". After months of this image continuing to flash on his screen during sports events, Schwarzenegger flicks, even Mr. Skin highlight reels and hearing "Design it......",  Yancey takes a journey to find Quibblekoff, then rips out his plush recliners & pool table and converts his mancave into a tasteful cafe where film buffs can watch and discuss dystopian Uzbecki moraliity tales and such. Suddenly, out of the screen walk the ghosts of Jean Cocteau, Powell & Pressburger, Fellini, Tarkovsky,Jim Jarmusch (objecting that he's not dead yet), who immediately start storyboarding a new version of Don Quixote. Lastly, out walks the ghost of Yancey's father, who confesses that his secret passion was filming a stopaction Leggo version of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with pieces from his son's childhood set.

Moved to the core, Yancey squeaks out, "Wanna catch a flick?"

"Malick?" his father replies, "I'd like that".

- fin -

Users who are viewing this thread