What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1982 Countdown Monday! (1 Viewer)

What older decades would you do lists for?

• 1960s

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • 1950s

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 1940s

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 1930s

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • 1920s

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
I'm hoping I can find some time to watch this one before the poll closes.  It looks up my alley, and I don't have a deep list for this year.  I've currently got something like Monty Python at the Hollywood Bowl getting a ton of points from me to get to the 200 total (which I enjoy, but it's mostly just a recycling of Flying Circus stuff).
I don't think it was streaming anywhere other than Filmstruck which requires a subscription (there is a free 2 week trial). Filmstruck is a pretty cool- it has all the Criterion stuff, a deal with TCM to carry their collection of classic movies and a ton of foreign/indie stuff. I have been meaning to try it out. My local libray did have the DVD though. 

Also looking at your username and thinking about Fiztcarraldo and yeah I think you would definitely love it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ya - i sent it Saturday @ 1:24pm under the same PM heading as my '99 list. i get a reprieve for some mistakes if you didnt get it, so let me know
@wikkidpissah - I don't see it in my box, and I don't have your name written down in the notebook, so it didn't get accounted for.   We might have crossed paths I deleted it as I cleaned the inbox of the lists from last poll, sorry.   Please resend.  

Watched Fitzccarldo and wow was that a great movie. That will be high on my list. Weird how similar it was to Apocalypse Now- epic disaster of a production with a highly regarded documentary about it’s filming, boat going down a dangerous river, the Natives with their white leader, playing opera music over a loud speakers of vehicles. 
Dammit, i wanna watch this, but cant find it. I dont even know where our library is, and i’m even lazier than krista.

That is the one thing crappy about how much everything has gone to streaming. A lot of older stuff just isn't available. 
Yeah, it's sad to think about how many movies we have lost.  Not all films were on VHS, not all movies on VHS are on DVD, not all movies on DVD are on streaming or bluray.   Every time we upgrade the technology, we lose more and more movies.  

I am glad my library system seems to do a good job of having stuff available and does keep up on the Criterion movies and the like.  

Woke up and am still thinking about Fitzcarraldo. That's one of the better movies I have seen in awhile. 

I watch listed a bunch of them, but none of them were free and I just couldn't pull the trigger on the $4 rental for a 26 year old movie. I guess I'll just have to go with what I know. Also, note to self, you need to watch list Fitzcaraldo.

I'm hoping I can find some time to watch this one before the poll closes.  

Dammit, now I want to watch Fitzcarraldo too.  
just spend 2 hrs pulling out nose hairs - that ougtha duplicate the experience. honest - watch Burden of Dreams (about the making of Fitzcarraldo) and get the best of both worlds

FYI, I watched Fitzcarraldo on Tubi Tv. Downloaded the app for free on Fire stick.  There are a few random commercials inserted.

I hope I didn't over sell Fitz. It's definitely a slower paced film so I can get @wikkidpissah claim that it is boring, but I found it hypnotizing and beautiful. He definiely captured the mystique of the jungle and the fact that they really did haul a giant ship over a mountain is freaking nuts. 

:wub:  a 26 yr. old Sandra Bernhard in "King of Comedy" - sure, we discussed Cates and Shelley Long's scenes up in here, but ... not ashamed to admit that i spent some happy time with my "K.o.C." vhs tape, working dem freeze and rewind buttons during her 'strip down to panties' scene  :yes:

TMI? perhaps - but i dug me her performance  :popcorn:
EeeeYEWWWW

KoC was '82?! Missed that & The Wall on my list
#1 on my strangely attractive list.  

:thumbup:

#3 on mine, right behind Mayim Bialik and Susie Essman 

btw, here is a pretty damn awesome review of Bernhard's "Masha" in "K.o.C." - i could've written this meself ...

her contemporaries (including Susie Essman, btw, & her BFFs Cathy Ladman & Sue Kolinsky, all comics of the same era) all hated her, mostly cuz she thought of her stuff as one-woman shows instead of stand-up. the only time i've heard the c-word thrown around more willingly toward a celeb is when you mention Julia Roberts to the clerks & waitstaff of Santa Fe. but i will admit the male comics mostly had a Sarah Palin-like lusty hate for her. the guy i wrote the ABC sitcom pilot with was always wanting to shut her up in a particular way. but i just didnt see it.

1982? Oh, my. I think most of the films were over my head back then and I never caught up with the decade. Bump for the thread and a :pass:  

Good luck, y'all.  

Hey, uh, isn't it the 1982 list? Or did I miss part of the gag?
wait 'til '84 really rolls around up in here ... i'll be revisisting der Fuhrer shtick if "Pope of Greenwich Village" isn't a unanimous top three ...

??   ??

I'm punting on the notion of watching the movies "I should have seen" from 1982 before sending my list in. Eat it @Yankee23Fan. ;)

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan : 30

Blade Runner : 30

Conan The Barbarian : 20

Fast Times At Ridgemont High : 20 

48 Hours : 20

My Favorite Year : 20

Night Shift : 8

The Thing : 3

Monty Python Live At The Hollywood Bowl : 3

Airplane II: The Sequel : 2

Victor/Victoria : 1

Creepshow : 1

P.S. I sent my list as a PM to @KarmaPolice also as I believe its easier for him to deal with them that way.

I'm punting on the notion of watching the movies "I should have seen" from 1982 before sending my list in. Eat it @Yankee23Fan. ;)

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan : 30

Blade Runner : 30

Conan The Barbarian : 20

Fast Times At Ridgemont High : 20 

48 Hours : 20

My Favorite Year : 20

Night Shift : 8

The Thing : 3

Monty Python Live At The Hollywood Bowl : 3

Airplane II: The Sequel : 2

Victor/Victoria : 1

Creepshow : 1

P.S. I sent my list as a PM to @KarmaPolice also as I believe its easier for him to deal with them that way.
All the likes

Dammit, I don't know which thread to talk about movies in anymore.   

Not to start up the discussion too early for the next year, but I am really looking forward to the discussion when we get to the 70s and which movies are the must-sees besides the obvious ones year to year.   In the last few days I have watched 4 movies on my list from '74.  Maybe I am picking ones that nobody is going to go to bat for in the next poll or maybe there is something that is stopping me from loving these movies.  I think all 4 were meh to good, but nothing I thought was great.   I am just writing down titles that seem to me on 'best of' lists for the years and/or have directors or actors that I recognize or have been wanting to catch up with.   Especially curious how @Ilov80s and a couple of the others who said this isn't their strong decade fare as they watch some of the ones they need to catch up on too.  

We are at 25, and I think the likes of Ilov80s and krista are working on theirs.  

Not sure about others that participated in the last draft that I haven't gotten a list from, like @Andy Dufresne, @AcerFC, @Hov34, @Musesboy, @PIK95, @Bonzai and others.  
I will definitely send one, but haven't yet given up on this idea that I'll find a few more to watch before I do.  I probably won't, but I'm holding out hope right now.

I will definitely send one, but haven't yet given up on this idea that I'll find a few more to watch before I do.  I probably won't, but I'm holding out hope right now.
No problem at all, mostly just getting an idea of remaining interest level and potential lists to look out for. 

1. Poltergeist    21
2. Officer and a Gentleman    20
3. Grease 2    20
4. First Blood    20
5. Rocky 3    20
6. Friday the 13th part 3    17
7. The Toy    15
8. Night Shift    15
9. Bugs Bunny 3rd movie    7
10. ET    7
11. Airplane 2    7
12. Amityville 2    7
13. Fast Times    5
14. 48 Hours    5
15. Death Wish 2    5
16. Annie    5
17. Scarlet Pimpernel    1
18. The Secret of NIMH    1
19. Conan the Barbarian    1
20. Creepshow    1

Dammit, I don't know which thread to talk about movies in anymore.   

Not to start up the discussion too early for the next year, but I am really looking forward to the discussion when we get to the 70s and which movies are the must-sees besides the obvious ones year to year.   In the last few days I have watched 4 movies on my list from '74.  Maybe I am picking ones that nobody is going to go to bat for in the next poll or maybe there is something that is stopping me from loving these movies.  I think all 4 were meh to good, but nothing I thought was great.   I am just writing down titles that seem to me on 'best of' lists for the years and/or have directors or actors that I recognize or have been wanting to catch up with.   Especially curious how @Ilov80s and a couple of the others who said this isn't their strong decade fare as they watch some of the ones they need to catch up on too.  
If you haven't already, watch Cassavete's a woman under the influence

Users who are viewing this thread