What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** FBG Complaint Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Kleck

Footballguy
Can't have one without the other. Any and all feedback appreciated. We're interested in improving.

Not sure if there is anything you can do, but I grow weary in the game threads of folks that can't stay on topic. Too much what I need, who I have, complaints about play calling, etc. When I am in the game thread it is either to report what I see or to read what others see and there is not nearly enough of that.

Edited spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if there is anything you can do, but I grow weary in the game threads of folks that can't stay on topic. Too much what I need, who I have, complaints about play calling, etc. When I am in the game thread it is either to report what I see or to read what others see and there is not nearly enough of that.Edited spelling
Is there anyway of having an option on "-" minimizing a poster comment.So after you minimize it when you check back in the thread that post in "minimized" instead of having to filter through it?

THis was the best year for FBG. Key Content for me was much more timely, and you guys are always adding stuff.

Overall, it was a much better year in terms of timeliness, which was great.

Love the custom cheatsheets!

Levin and MT won't be receiving any Xmas cards from this Rivers/Bush/Bell owner that will be home for the holidays. :hifive: :bag:

This year has been great. I've discovered "The Audible" and I always look forward to it.

On that note I think "The Audible" audio could be compressed at a higher quality. It only takes a few seconds to download the whole show on a cable line as it is. I could wait a couple more seconds for better sounding audio. If 56k is a concern then perhaps you could have a 56k version of the show.

You know how in the NFL, the second guy to commit the personal foul is the one who normally gets penalized? It's the reaction, not the first offense that usually catches the ref's eye?

Well, I suggest we do the same thing here. The only thing more annoying than posts that stray off-topic or into WDIS are the whiny librarians who spend lots of screen space pointing it out. And they paste the offender's entire post, too. So technically, they waste a little more space than the first guy.

Instead, how about a "get this thread back on topic" smiley that should be used alone, NOT with a paste of the original post? Just a gentle reminder that there is a specific topic for that thread.

Thanks. This forum is a great resource, and I appreciate the care you put into making it a success.

My only complaint is people making Levin-esque posts in the injury and game threads.

Really, I don't care who you start or don't start this week.

1. IDP weekly projections need improvement. I will try to find time in the offseason to give more details about this in the IDP forum. In summary, many times in the season I would see a player ranked very high relative to his season stats so far, and most of the time, he would not even come close to that projection in that particular week. Projections were biased for many players.

2. I would like to see weekly projections from more than one person in order to create some kind of consensus. In 2006 a great improvement for the preseason projections was the ability to weigh five sets of projections, not just Dodds. It would be great to have this every week as well.

99% of my feedback on FBG would be positive!

When you quote someone in the forums, it should only quote that person and not everyone they quoted. It's a pain to read through a thread and see a comment being quoted six or seven quotes deep, especially since I already read it 2 pages ago.

Threads are out of control. They degenerate quickly on a tangent, often devolving into name calling, flaming and personal attacks. If a thread is about Coles and someone mentions Cotchery it can spin off on a ton of Jerricho info and if you're in the thread to read about Coles then you just wasted a ton of time. I would like to see threads kept on topic and minus all the wannabe mods. Nothing's worse than a guy wasting more space to tell us all someone wasted space.

I would also like to see a subscriber's Shark Pool. Especially with the ever increasing popularity of FF. The gap is narrowing between casual and serious players and with internet access everywhere it's easy to get a ton of free info from the boards. Especially when there's subscriber content posted.

However, none of these complaints change the fact that I have never once regretted my subscriptions and feel that the info I get from it is a massive reason for my FF success this season. I have already made enough dough from this season alone to cover my last 3 years of FF as well as next season and I still have two teams going so good job and thanks. But please tend to the very cluttered Shark Pool.

1. Release the Audible earlier in the day. I download at night to listen on the next day's commute. It comes out so late that I don't get it in time for the commute. The other fantasy podcasts I listen to (ESPN Fantasy Fix, First and 15) are more reliable for delivery. And, oh yeah, improve the sound quality. Some of the guys sound awful.

2. Improve the site map and navigation. For example, to get to the Dynasty Rankings, I have to scroll to the bottomo to go to Pre-Season and then search that page for Dynasty Rankings. There needs to be an easy way to find pre-season content.

3. Have a Dynasty Page with Dynasty Rankings, Dynasty Articles, Draft Stuff, etc. Should be an easy tab to find.

4. Grade your projections. You guys should be willing to post how you did. Saying that you only have to look forward is lame. Develop a simple program that evaluates each projection and spits out a score. I think you'll find that you have tools to answer your critics or to improve your own performance.

5. Get out some more content earlier. I'd love to see Buy Low/Sell High, Kickermania, etc. on Tuesday.

6. Hire Matt Waldman from FFToday. Awesome writer. Great insight. Would be a great member of the team.

7. Strike a deal with Football Outsiders to incorporate some of their stats. I think you may be out of luck as they may have teamed up with RotoWorld and FoxSports.

8. Take a look at a site like Baseball Prospectus and incorporate some of their ideas about how to do projections and come up with tools for likelihood of injury, etc.

9. Add college stats to player pages. I was debating between Schaub and Tarvaris Jackson and it would be nice to see their college stats.

10. Targets listed each week should be sortable by targets per game.

I like what you got, just giving you ideas on how to improve. I am sure I'll be back posting more as I think of them.

I like looking at the Top 250 forward when thinking about my waiver claims. I imagine a lot of leagues must have waivers early on Wednesday morning after the previous games. However, the Top 250 forward would usually come really late on Tuesday night (for an East Coaster), meaning that I would have to wait up for it or just forget about it. Put out the Top 250 forward earlier!

5Rings said:
My only complaint is people making Levin-esque posts in the injury and game threads.Really, I don't care who you start or don't start this week.
:bye: I hate the injury thread because you have to scroll through pages of BS to find info on your relevant player. Then you get posts such as "he's back in"..."who's back in? This thread is about 12 different players and dozens of people posting about the impact on their own rosters. IMO if a viable fantasy football starter is truly injured then he deserves a thread of his own. Afterall, isn't this the most important news of the day?

Suggestion-

an NFL draft and prospects forum

Make dating game forum also a league advice forum. IMO FF League advice is often posted as NFL talk

In 07(doesn't matter when) revisit the previous years rankings. Let each "staffer" chime in on what they "misread" and how they might adjust in 07.

5Rings said:
My only complaint is people making Levin-esque posts in the injury and game threads.Really, I don't care who you start or don't start this week.
:D I hate the injury thread because you have to scroll through pages of BS to find info on your relevant player. Then you get posts such as "he's back in"..."who's back in? This thread is about 12 different players and dozens of people posting about the impact on their own rosters. IMO if a viable fantasy football starter is truly injured then he deserves a thread of his own. Afterall, isn't this the most important news of the day?
I thought similarly as you in the beginning of the year. IMO The last few weeks, the injury thread has been pretty well done. It really becomes good quick info if people do it right.....wish more people would realize that

I always want more out of team previews in the mag.

I just read something by Woodrow that was very well done then it was "see FBGs for more" at the bottom and that bugged me. I understand your intention to land customers but just giving ya feedback. I turned the page wanting more articles like that.

I don't think anyone is sending Levin an X-mas card.

SP tool ratio is getting a bit too high to be useful.

ACF isn't populated enough with quality Sharks to be useful.

Subscriber Content across the board should be released a day earlier than the current schedule... Tuesday at 5 PM should be like Christmas every week. As nice as the 50K contest is, that money is better spent making the info useful for subscribers--use some of it to pay someone to get it out sooner. Weekly Cheatsheets after waivers run does nothing. LD and DD updates always seem too late for most users. There's hundreds of August posts on this single issue.

complaint/suggestion-

more posts from staff members in the pool

5Rings said:
My only complaint is people making Levin-esque posts in the injury and game threads.

Really, I don't care who you start or don't start this week.
:lmao: I hate the injury thread because you have to scroll through pages of BS to find info on your relevant player. Then you get posts such as "he's back in"..."who's back in? This thread is about 12 different players and dozens of people posting about the impact on their own rosters.

IMO if a viable fantasy football starter is truly injured then he deserves a thread of his own. Afterall, isn't this the most important news of the day?
Some of us disagree on what the threads are for, perhaps clarification is needed.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...t&p=6075146

Best site on the Internet.

1. Release Top-250 forward earlier by 10 pm CST or something like that... Staying up so late kills me!

2. Have something like Kickermania but for DEF/Special Teams. Defensemania...

This board needs a BBV forum a la 2+2. Start moving posts there and keep the shark pool clean(er).

Also, have the forum administrator disable quoting as the default when replying to a thread. It's completely out of control.

1. Too much bashing Newbies in the Shark Pool. Just because your number is higher doesn't mean you don't know Jack.

2. There are plenty of off-kilters in various threads, but it's a shark pool, not a spa. It's arguably the best out there. Most info and most members of the Pool are awesome sources of info.

2. FBG Staff - please post your stuff earlier in the day (or even the day) it's due. I'm a deadline guy, and you guys miss your deadlines far too often. You advertise what's coming out when, and often you do not deliver until the next day. At least readjust your advertised schedule to reflect real life at FBG Central.

3. Your site is quite simply the best the www has to offer. Keep it up! Your subscription is also reasonable. Keep that going too!

Thank you

This board needs a BBV forum a la 2+2. Start moving posts there and keep the shark pool clean(er).Also, have the forum administrator disable quoting as the default when replying to a thread. It's completely out of control.
They did this before and you could never tell what the replies were in response to unless the responders re-typed the key points they were addressing. It's much easier to scroll past the junk the scroll back to sort out the actual conversation.

They did this before and you could never tell what the replies were in response to unless the responders re-typed the key points they were addressing. It's much easier to scroll past the junk the scroll back to sort out the actual conversation.
They did what before? Who was the Bass guy replying to?

Game logs for team defenses would be fantastic. In most leagues, defenses can be the key to victory in most weeks. Having easy access to data on their performance over the course of the season would be very useful.

Subscriber Content across the board should be released a day earlier than the current schedule... Tuesday at 5 PM should be like Christmas every week. As nice as the 50K contest is, that money is better spent making the info useful for subscribers--use some of it to pay someone to get it out sooner. Weekly Cheatsheets after waivers run does nothing. LD and DD updates always seem too late for most users. There's hundreds of August posts on this single issue.

Game logs for team defenses would be fantastic. In most leagues, defenses can be the key to victory in most weeks. Having easy access to data on their performance over the course of the season would be very useful.
That's (IMHO of course) a good idea. I created an Excel spreadsheet to track how "giving" each team in the league has been in fantasy points terms throughout the season, and though I've had to input the results each week to keep it current, it's been very useful to me in strategizing about which D I might want to pick up off of waivers for next week, or even the week after. Something along these lines should be fairly simple to code, and would provide useful info to subscribers.The suggestion that follows is solely based on my own beliefs regarding the proper presentation of information to make it more useful to a "consumer", viewed from the perspective of a software developer who has been working with similar presentation issues for some 30+ years now. This perspective isn't infallible, but it might be worth thinking about, and it's offered free of charge. :mellow:Often in various articles reference is made to facts such as "team x is ranked 29th in rushing TD's given up", but finding the rankings to back that up isn't as easy as it could be. The info may well be online, but it isn't always presented in a manner that is easily scanned and understood. The tendency to try to make the info "presentable" on the web page often can make the information harder to digest, spreading it out vertically, with the result being that the headings for every single bit of data have scrolled off the page long before you reach the point where you're looking at the info related to the particular team you might be looking for. (Kickermania comes to mind as a prime example of this). That makes interpretation much more difficult, because you're having to "remember" which column represents what (since you can't just glance up at the column headers), and that's very distracting in itself. An approach that goes a long way towards addressing that deficiency is to spread out the same info horizontally across (ideally) one line per team, with the option of clicking on column headings to sort the displayed info based on the data in each column. To the extent that it is possible to provide this sort of presentation as either a replacement presentation or an optional one (the best solution, but harder to code), I'm of the opinion that it would make FBG's "product" far easier for the typical user to make use of.

I could see adding one or two more forums to help spread out traffic in the correct forums.

Shark Pool = Fantasy information (Blogger, stats, debates, discussion)

NFL Forum = NFL information (rookie drafts, player debates, team rankings, team discussions... no fantasy talk)

Dynasty Forum = Dynasty leagues only. There was some clues to help within the Shark Pool such as [Dynasty] tags and the crown but not enough.

Unfortunately most of the hijacking will remain because people do need to police themselves much more than they do now. Some of this could help by renaming the Shark Pool as the term "shark" is quite lame when representing fantasy information, imo.

Fantasy Pool instead of Shark Pool

Pigskin Pool for an all NFL forum or something catchy like that.

You know how in the NFL, the second guy to commit the personal foul is the one who normally gets penalized? It's the reaction, not the first offense that usually catches the ref's eye?Well, I suggest we do the same thing here. The only thing more annoying than posts that stray off-topic or into WDIS are the whiny librarians who spend lots of screen space pointing it out. And they paste the offender's entire post, too. So technically, they waste a little more space than the first guy.Instead, how about a "get this thread back on topic" smiley that should be used alone, NOT with a paste of the original post? Just a gentle reminder that there is a specific topic for that thread.Thanks. This forum is a great resource, and I appreciate the care you put into making it a success.
Yeah. And the "point to the shirt" smiley is lame. Get rid of it.

suggestion-

Have the staff doc make a lllllllong post about common injuries and how long they're usually out for, for each injury. Pin it+lock it.

I'd bet it's referenced 1000 times next season in other threads

When you quote someone in the forums, it should only quote that person and not everyone they quoted. It's a pain to read through a thread and see a comment being quoted six or seven quotes deep, especially since I already read it 2 pages ago.
how do you feel about SSOG's style of quoting?

1. This is probably my biggest complaint particularly as, outside of the Shark Pool, I think it's also FBG most important, high-profile service. The Cheatsheets and the Rushing/Passing matchups are insufficient, fundamentally flawed and/or counter-intuitive. As much respect as Dodds gets for all the work he does (well deserved), the Cheatsheets are the opinion of one man and as a result, occasionally wildly wrong. The adage "two heads are better than one" definitely applies here. And for FBG, it could be 10 heads are better than one. In the run-up to fantasy drafts, FBG produces a ranked draft list by position that's a compliation of FBG staff opinion. The Cheatsheets should be a similar compilation. For example, no way should Pennington have been ranked the #23 QB last week against Minnesota. But Dodds felt he should be. If two other guys rank Pennington at #10, his ranking moves from #23 to a more reasonable #14. There is strength in numbers. Maybe there's a way to weight the ranking assigned by staff members who are more accurate week after week.

The Passing/Rushing matchups are only interesting in the sense that they are fantasy content...something to read but little more. But it could be something better. They're only a look at an offensive matchup assigned a prospect (good, neutral, tough, etc...) based on the strength of the defense (San Diego has a "TOUGH" rushing matchup vs. the Denver defense). I don't care how qualifiers and explanations FBG puts in the email, this product is misleading. Another example, Week 12 Houston Texans has a GREAT rushing matchup vs. New York Jets. The Texans rushed for 25 yards...total.

Besides, few if anybody plays Team rushing. I don't care how the Chargers running game is going to do against Denver. I want to know how LT is going to do.

There's a better product here. First, break down runningbacks, not team running games. There is no reason to discuss Cleveland running game. Second, forget discussing the top tier of RBs. Just put a note at the beginning stating "If you have Tomlinson, Jackson, Gore, Johnson, etc. START THEM). Third, break down the next tier in some detail. Give us pros and cons to starting each RB in the Cleveland running game. Or take the Jets. An example off the top of my head:

Cedric Houston vs. the Miami Defense

Pros: Appears to have won the starting position after Barlow was listed inactive last week and Leon Washington is wearing down given his rookie status and unfamiliarity with a full NFL season. Houston can catch the ball quite well, so one could expect some catches and yards through the air as well.

Cons: Houston still hasn't demonstrated ability to take a game over and it's possible Barlow will be reactivated. Washington has also stolen goal-line carries on occasion.

Recommendation: Expect Houston to finish in the lower-tier of runningbacks this week. The prospect of a breakout game is very low given that the Miami defense has only allowed 2 rushing TDs the entire season and pass-catching running backs don't do well against Miami's fast linebackers.

Anyway, I am rambling a bit too much here but the point is, the Rushing and Passing Matchups could be a lot better. And the writing could be better. More concise, less wordy.

2. FBG offers a lot of different fantasy content via email. Some I don't care for like the Random Shots. Make the email content "opt in" and allow me to select which emails I receive. Even consider separating redraft vs. dynasty content. If I am only in redraft leagues, why do I care about dynasty content?

What's "BBV?"
It stands for "brags, beats and variance", which is basically a way to say it's the forum for all the stories that are about you. On a forum like this, it could be a spot for all of the "my team is great" or "I'm screwed now that XXX is hurt" or "what do you need on Monday night" threads.The neat thing about the 2+2 forum is that not only does it clear those posts out of the other forums, but people know what to expect in BBV so you actually get discussion instead of nothing but "nobody cares, junior" replies.

Not sure I buy that. Most forums I'm on don't quote by default and people still know how to use the feature when needed. But if it was an issue before, then can it be set to quote only the most recent post?I've just never seen a setup where the default is to quote everything, every time. Nothing like scrolling for five screens just to see the "good posting" smilie. And of course, you get the people who cut off a quote tag and fill the screen with junk.

Is there anyway FBG's can ban any references to "Honda" and "Points to Shirt" and all corresponding emoticons?

Is there anyway FBG's can ban any references to "Honda" and "Points to Shirt" and all corresponding emoticons?
We've been over this. The mods think "point to the shirt" is hilarious, even two years later. End of discussion.

Custom cheatsheets are a great addition so that you can customize QB, RB, WR and TE but it doesn't factor in any settings or projections for PK or TD.

Custom cheatsheets could add an option for return yards. I started using return yards (1/25 return, 1/25 passing, 1/10 rush/rcv) as a way to boost WR scoring and add depth to the WR pool to bring it closer in value and depth to the RB's.

Might be nice to also have a saved settings on custom cheatsheets so you don't have to enter the custom settings each time (similar to the saved player info on MyTeam).

Can't remember if custom cheatsheets were used in the preseason for projections but that would be a nice benefit as well.

250 forward would also benefit from a customized option since although I enjoyed it as entertainment and one extra peice of info, I didn't consider it to be an accurate tool or helpful for the settings in my league.

I like looking at the Top 250 forward when thinking about my waiver claims. I imagine a lot of leagues must have waivers early on Wednesday morning after the previous games. However, the Top 250 forward would usually come really late on Tuesday night (for an East Coaster), meaning that I would have to wait up for it or just forget about it. Put out the Top 250 forward earlier!
:thumbdown:

Also recommend the following:

1) Get regular updates of dynasty rankings from more than just Bloom (Jeff does pretty well). Maybe get a third opinion.

2) Split dynasty projections for those people gunning for this year's championship and those who are "rebuilding".

3) Pay a couple of dudes to regularly sit in Assistant Coaching and answer questions for people. Love it when Jeff is there to answer questions. I don't always agree, but at least you get a 2nd perspective and something to think about.

1. I'd like to see more consistency in which names are used. If you call him Cadillac in the Top 250 Forward, don't call him Carnell in the Cheatsheets. This would be a big help to those of us who plug the info into spreadsheets.

2. Keep the Strength of Schedule postings grouped by position throughout the year. The last couple of weeks they've been grouped by week. Again, this would be a big help to those of us who plut the info into spreadsheets.

3. Provide an explanation about how the Trade Value is calculated for the Top 250 Forward. Not so much why a particular player is ranked at a particular spot, but why the #1 player is worth 2500, the #20 player is worth 1135, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread