What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football addiction (2 Viewers)

Otis

Footballguy
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/27/when-fantasy-football-becomes-an-addiction/

When Fantasy Football Becomes an Addiction

By C.D. CARTER

I've played fantasy football since 2006, when I was a 22-year-old cub reporter at The Gazette in Prince George's County, Md., and the paper's sports editor asked me to fill in the last spot in the office's fantasy league. I thought it silly, and that I'd be a natural at the game. After all, I had watched 12 hours of football with my dad every Sunday since I was 10 years old. I knew which players were good. I knew which players weren't. What else was there to know?

Now, at 29, I cannot watch football the way it was meant to be watched. I watch for stats. I fret about fantasy points, not game outcomes. The game, in short, is meaningless.

I don't watch playoff games. I don't care who wins the Super Bowl. I have loyalty to no one but myself and my pretend roster of random players from across the league. I can't recall the agony of emotional investment in a real team - the ability to feel that joy and pain has long left me, crowded out by fantasy obsession.

There is no joy, only anxiety, only pain, only disappointment. When I win a fantasy game, I'm only happy not to lose. When I lose, I'm crushed.

On Twitter, I found hundreds just like me: awash in the statistical minutia of a game that challenges its players to compose a lineup that will score more fake points than their opponents' fake players, willing to put in any amount of research to find an advantage over their opponents.

I was immersed - I am immersed - in the roiling, everlasting Twitter chatter that is today's fantasy football arena, where ideas are championed and derided and parroted and contradicted every minute of every day by wise and stupid alike. Twitter, for fantasy fiends, is an echo chamber and battleground, all at once.

Some of these obsessives make a living from the fantasy football knowledge they've contributed to the growing industry. I'm in occasional contact with these purveyors of fantasy groupthink and innovation, as I have a side gig as a writer for The Fake Football (as well as with NFL Jerks), run by guys with equal fantasy fervor.

Some addicts, like me, are left to answer questions from curious fantasy owners and hope for the occasional retweet from a fantasy bigwig as we fight for the attention of 32 million fantasy football owners, according to estimates from the Fantasy Sports Trade Association.

Of all the daily constructive exchanges, petty spats and frenetic 140-character volleys among Twitter's fantasy freaks, the issue of obsession - addiction - is rarely broached. It goes unacknowledged, I think, because in a dank flophouse, junkies don't ponder the ill effects of their addictions. They just do their drugs. They get high.

Kimberly Young, a licensed psychologist and founder of the Center of Internet Addiction, told me fantasy sports addiction is hardly different from other Web-based vices. Many online addictions, Young said, stem from a desperate need to control an outcome - any outcome.

"It's just an illusion of control, of course, but that's the driving force," Young, a psychology professor at St. Bonaventure University, told me.

She said most patients who come to her asking for help with their insatiable need to research pigskin stats at every hour of the day are men in their 20s. No surprise there - 80 percent of fantasy footballers are men. Almost every fantasy addict has an alternative to Young's prescription of total Internet detox.

"When I tell them there's an abstinence component, they tell me they'll just cut back," she said. "But they can't cut back. It's an all-consuming activity for them, but many think they can have just that one cigarette. It doesn't work like that."

I was surprised, after hearing Young's tales of life-destroying cases of fantasy sports addiction, to learn that Internet addiction hasn't made the cut as an official disorder in psychology's universe of definable problems.

The literature, as outlined in "Abnormal Psychology," defines Internet addiction as an impulse control condition that, if left unchecked, alters an addict's neurotransmitters in their brain while they engage their vice. Changing neurotransmitters - I can almost feel this happen when I scour the waiver wire, exploring every last statistical crevice for the player who will bring me victory that week - creates altered psychological states that bring euphoria to an addict's ravaged brain.

Enough of this euphoria, like with gambling or drinking or drugs, brings an Internet addict back to the glowing screen for more. I can attest: Devouring fantasy football tidbits, no matter how meaningless or numerically abstract, makes me happy. I think it makes me happy, anyhow.

I told Young that I was a fantasy football addict, but like any addict - even one who has admitted his problem - I was no fan of the solution.

David Devaney, who lives in Baltimore and works in sales, said his fantasy addiction peaked a few years back during a drive through the mountains of western Massachusetts on the way to visit family.

With his wife and daughter in tow, Devaney pulled over before they traversed the highest parts of the mountainous drive, where he knew he'd lose all phone and Internet connection. Devaney had forgotten to plug in a last-minute waiver wire pickup, and game time was 10 short minutes away. An empty roster spot, for any fantasy addict, is a mortal sin, and enough to make you sick.

"I'm up there, basically climbing these huge rocks, doing anything I can to get one bar on my phone, any sort of connection," he said. "I'm essentially fully extending my arm in the air and I'm setting my lineup, and I just stopped and thought, 'It's ridiculous that I'm doing this.' "

As an addict, as someone who has gone to humiliating lengths to tweak a lineup at the last minute, I had to ask: Was it worth it?

"No," Devaney said flatly. "I did all that for some guy who got me five points that day."

It was during the 2010 season that Devaney's fantasy obsession had chipped away at his undying love for the Philadelphia Eagles. He said secretly rooting for various Dallas Cowboys on his fantasy squad - specifically, the reviled Miles Austin -- and the New England rock-climbing, bar-searching incident were his rock bottom, the point at which he knew he had to remove fantasy football like a tumor.

"I was getting so lost in it," he said, recalling hours spent in the glow of a laptop, analyzing waiver wire players and trade offers until they were indecipherable. "Everything revolved around maximizing points. It was consuming me. I wasn't thinking about the game of football when I'd sit down to watch football. I was thinking about the players. Things got bad."

So Devaney quit, just like that. He turned down offers from friends and coworkers who had for years bashed heads with Devaney in fake football matchups. The temptation was there, to join just one league, to do just one little draft, Devaney said, but he turned down every offer. The 2011 season started with Devaney planted on his couch, caring for nothing but his beloved Eagles.

"I tell everyone I know how great it is," he told me over the phone. I dreaded what came next, what I knew he'd tell me, because he knows me, because he was me. "I highly suggest it to you. Just quit. It's freeing. You won't even miss it. I promise."

I laughed as politely as possible.

"Seriously," Devaney said, "it'll make you feel older, more mature."

I told him I'd consider it, the easy lie of an addict.

Austin Lee, when he's not working in California's movie industry, is writing in-depth fantasy analyses for Pro Football Focus, a daily resource to any hardcore fantasy footballer. He knows what it's like to be trapped in the vortex of fantasy football Twitter chatter. You read a couple of dozen tweets from industry authorities and casual fans, you read a few more, you click links that lead to more links that lead to more links, and what started as a quick check of the Twitter feed turns into a two-hour orgy of stats and comparisons and player comparables. Tumbling down the rabbit hole of endless information is a terribly easy pastime.

Lee repeated a common refrain from my pool of justification when he said, "I thought I could keep it under control."

"But when all social contributions with friends and family were fantasy football related," he said, "that was an indicator that I needed to unplug."

Fantasy addiction, like anything that consumes hours and thoughts with equal ferocity, takes a physical toll on obsessives. I know, when my head hits the pillow on Sunday night, that sleep will be fleeting, even if I manage to banish thoughts of fake football long enough to fall asleep.

"I was losing a lot of sleep over waiver wire moves and trades and other decisions," Lee said. "It had a lot of weight to it, a lot of meaning. You just lie there awake and you think, I know I can find the right fit, I can come up with the right combination. I just need to try harder."

Lee's wife is an avid fantasy footballer, too, but even she grew weary of her husband's endless machinations - his trade offers, his fretting over whom to start and whom to sit.

"I knew then that I had crossed a bad threshold," he said.

Lee cut back, but found that the growth of fantasy made it impossible for any football fan to give it the cold shoulder.

"If you're a real addict, you have lots of people who can make your obsession seem completely normal," he said. "If you need that kind of confirmation, lots of people are there to tell you it's O.K., because they're addicted, too."

Melissa Jacobs remembers fantasy football when it was by geeks, for geeks, of geeks. Jacobs, a San Francisco native and former ESPN producer who founded the site TheFootballGirl.com and has 5,220 faithful Twitter followers who digest her weekly fantasy wisdom nuggets, played fantasy when it was a subculture, way before ESPN dedicated an entire hour of Sunday morning program to people's make-believe football roster decisions.

In the '90s, when fantasy scores were tallied from real life ink printed on real life newspaper every Monday and Tuesday morning, there was no massive online community of fantasy obsessives. There was you and your league members.

"I was playing it when it was totally socially taboo," said Jacobs, who now lives in Washington. "I was very closeted - we all were. It was considered a very dorky pastime - it was seen as sort of a freakish hobby. I'm not so sure people today realize that. No one is embarrassed about it anymore."

Lineup decisions still churned, she said, but the infrastructure of fantasy sports addiction - namely, the Internet - did not exist in any mainstream way.

"Trust me," Jacobs said, "I wanted to talk to someone about it. But no one played, so I kept it to myself."

Twitter isn't the lone feeder of my fantasy addiction. There's also the RedZone Channel, which caters to fantasy players by only showing games in which teams are on the cusp of scoring, usually inside the opponent's 20-yard line. RedZone reduces football to a real-time highlight reel of scores. The channel, in short, is a fantasy addict's most precious gift and most threatening enabler.

Watching RedZone, especially during a flurry of Sunday afternoon scoring, has become an experiment in how much stress my heart can handle without failing. I'm not proud to admit that, when I watch football alone in my basement, I don't shut the bathroom door when nature calls. I leave it open enough to see half my giant TV screen. On the rare Sunday when I have company in the basement, I close the door and feel the beginnings of an anxiety attack constrict my breathing. I have to see what's happening, what my guys are doing.

Watching the cavalcade of football games as they unfold won't change anything. Unlike a tree falling in the woods with no one around, your No. 3 wide receiver is going to fetch you three lousy fantasy points, whether you watch every snap or none at all. This realization, in the frenzy of Sunday football, means nothing.

"You can see the terrible impact of being an alcoholic right away," Lee said, recalling his darkest fantasy days. "But this consumes your thoughts. It really eats away at you."

It forces you to watch the RedZone Channel from the comfort of a toilet.

Chris Wesseling is a senior N.F..L editor at Rotoworld, an online treasure trove of fantasy goodness that I peruse with great interest every day, many times a day. Wesseling has taken on a godfather-type role in the fantasy community - a sober voice of reasonable advice, never brash or cocky, like so many self-professed fantasy football experts who dispatch a thousand grating tweets a day. Wesseling will tell you what to do without telling you what to do. In short, I strive to be like him.

The culture of fantasy football has gone to a progressively darker place since Wesseling started playing the game in the mid-1990s. There is hardly any acknowledgement, he said, that this is a game for nerds.

"There should be just a bit of shame involved," he told me. "That gets left behind as the popularity rages out of control. Let's face it, there's not much separating fantasy football from Dungeons and Dragons. You're living out a fantasy through the actions of someone else. Teddy Roosevelt would be appalled at such behavior. Nobody cares about your fantasy team except you."

Wesseling said he has liberally employed Twitter's block button as a preemptive weapon against fantasy owners looking to publicly embarrass fantasy's most respected voices.

"My track record on fantasy advice speaks for itself, so of course I'm not going to take it well if one piece of advice in thousands is thrown back in my face because it didn't work out for that fantasy owner that week," he said. "The older I get, the less I'm willing to suffer fools gladly -- particular fools complaining about a quality free service. Who raised these disrespectful animals, anyway?"

My wife is pregnant with our first child, a boy, due in late December. When the doctor announced the due date, I was filled with joy and terror and excitement. I hugged my wife, her pregnant belly exposed in the sterility of the doctor's office. For the ten thousandth time, I told my wife how much I loved her. We kissed.

Then came the thought, my addiction tapping me on the shoulder, reminding me of its omnipresence. Hello, it said, I'm still here, and I'm not going anywhere.

I tried to banish the thought, to vanquish it before it was fully formed, but I couldn't.

The last week of December, I thought - consumed by shame - is fantasy football championship week.

I want nothing more than to have a normal relationship with fantasy football, normal enough to one day share the game with my son when we're all making fantasy start-sit decisions on floating holograms in front of our eight-dimensional televisions hovering weightlessly before us.

I looked to Patrick Lane, a Maryland state trooper and my friend since middle school, for advice. How, I asked Lane one night during an instant message screaming match about the fantasy value of Ryan Mathews, can you go to bed on Monday night, just as your fantasy players have their last shots to notch a win for your make-believe football team?

"Mostly my thoughts are this: I'm tired and I would like to go to bed," said Lane, whom I introduced to fantasy a year after I took the plunge. He has often berated me for watching every minute of every prime-time game, and staying on Twitter until 2 a.m. discussing fantasy implications. "Watching games all day Sunday and then a late night game and then another on Monday? After a while, I've had enough. I'm not going to kill myself to watch one guy maybe not do anything. I'll find out in the morning."

Lane will wrench open his eyelids and watch the waning minutes of "Monday Night Football" if, and only if, his beloved Redskins are playing. He still sees the game through the eyes of a real fan. Good for him.

Fantasy obsessives who considered themselves full-fledged addicts told me, yes, it's easy to fall down the rabbit hole and go to that dark place where fantasy decisions matter more than anything. But, they said, an addict has to know when to unplug.

That isn't an option for true addicts. It isn't an option for me.

"Of course I can empathize with other people who are addicted," said J.J Zachariason, author of the book, "The Late Round Quarterback," a persuasive counterargument to fantasy dogma that says owners must draft elite quarterbacks to win championships. "But at the same time, I think like any addiction, you need to know when to stop. I guess that's counterintuitive, but I think it's always good when people realize a problem and seek help. I, and a lot of other fantasy people, know when and how to stop."

With parenthood comes perspective, right? Things that were once paramount become utterly meaningless; priorities change a hundred times until you can't remember what was so incredibly important about that hobby you used to hold dear. After a few years of parenthood, no one can even remember life before kids, right?

Having a baby, maybe, will be the stake driven through the heart of my fantasy football addiction. Part of me - most of me - hopes it is.

C.D. Carter is a reporter, an author of zombie stories, and a writer for The Fake Football and NFL Jerks.

It's absolutely an addiction.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I enjoy it. It is time consuming and difficult, but it is fun. It's my hobby. I'll apologize to no one for it either.

Can be. I used to play in 8 to 10 money leagues a year. Dynasty, keeper, auction, whatever.

When my second child came along in 2008, I cut down over time. Only stayed in my long time (16th year) 12 x 15 redraft.

Very content with my PT hobby.

YMMV

Been playing since 1991. I'm so burned out from injuries the past 2 years, I'm going to take next year off and see if I miss it at all.

The Thursday and Sunday night games are the real killer
Agree with this. That's what makes it overkill. I could do without both.
Thursday nights definitely throw everything off, I used to be able to get away with not checking on my teams/leagues 2-3 days every week, but not anymore. Not to mention that the NFL Network's broadcast is pathetic compared to the other prime time networks.

I think it is getting worse. In 7 leagues, I have waivers that start at 10EST on Tuesday and go thru Thursday morning. Then we have the Thur - Sun - MNF games. To be competitive, I need to check out news multiple times per week. My ROI is decreasing and I may cut back next season.

It makes the NFL completely watchable.

Based on the ref's this year, one could argue that fantasy football is more realistic than real football. :P

Yep it's an addiction.

I'm in 5 dynasties, trying to keep up with all the happenings is too difficult with that many teams and players. I told myself I'm going to play in only 2 leagues next year. Picking the best 2 leagues that have the right mix of leagues members and rules and playing in those 2 only.

I limit myself to 2 leagues and a pair of survivor leagues. That's it. However, at the same time, I spend a lot of time scouring The Shark Pool and Twitter.

And yeah, the Thursday nighters added another element to the anxiety FF owners face. I remember earlier this year when the Browns played the Ravens. My opponent's Trent Richardson did better than my Ray Rice, had me mixing and matching the remainder of my lineup to try and maximize my points. (All this despite being "projected" to win by 35 points).

I started coming to this same realization 2 or 3 years ago, and started to consider quitting. But I justified my continued participation by thinking my 14-year strong work/friends league was the best way to keep in touch with those guys. Well, this year I finally came to the realization that I spend probably 20 hours researching minutiae for every 1 hour I spend "keeping in touch with those guys".

This is my last year. I'm going to use some of my saved hours next year to actually hang out in person with people I want to stay in touch with.

The kid who wrote the article is like that guy you know who parties way too hard, all the time, completely out of control, then once he has no choice but to shut it down for good because his life is falling apart, he lectures you about the dangers of partying. This has nothing to do with fantasy football and everything to do with the SpazNerdio the article writer who can't do anything unless he goes balls out/1000 miles per hour. Screw that guy. He was probably foaming at the mouth as he typed that article. Can't wait until his next blog post when he tells everyone they should cool it with the Angry Birds or else.

Started playing FF in '95 while on active duty at Aviano, Italy. Had to have a friend back home station assist when our air operations got too hectic, but I made it through the year and have been hooked ever since. From then thru 2002 when I retired I usually only had 1 team due to work schedules, but at times even that was tough to maintain. Since '02 I've been averaging 3-5 teams per year - not counting survivor leagues/contests.

The kids are grown and out of the house and the old lady will just have to deal with the fact that I'll be playing until I DIE or become senile :football:

I also play fantasy: golf, nascar, baseball, basketball and damn near all the other fantasy games ESPN puts out; but FF is of course my first luv :nerd: I suspect I'll have to cut back now that I'm about to resume my GI Bill classes in January..... :cry:

The kid who wrote the article is like that guy you know who parties way too hard, all the time, completely out of control, then once he has no choice but to shut it down for good because his life is falling apart, he lectures you about the dangers of partying. This has nothing to do with fantasy football and everything to do with the SpazNerdio the article writer who can't do anything unless he goes balls out/1000 miles per hour. Screw that guy. He was probably foaming at the mouth as he typed that article. Can't wait until his next blog post when he tells everyone they should cool it with the Angry Birds or else.
:goodposting: Fantasy football is more about the friendships and getting together every Sunday with league mates to watch football and talk #### to each other. The guy that wrote the article clearly seems to be missing out on the friendship and comradery part of fantasy football. And anyways, so what if it is addicting. It's not a bad hobby to have. Could be shooting heroin or something I guess.

Says the guy with 27,000 posts in a FF forum!The point has been missed by you, tough guy. This has everything to do with fantasy football/fantasy sports. Some people can have one cigarette, one beer, one game of black jack. Then others, as clearly stated and researched within this article, and also admitted by many on this site, fantasy sports can be very addictive. And with any addiction, there are multiple consequences.

Your over the top "SpazNerdio" assaults on the author (along with your 27k posts) only begs the question: Do you need help?

Somewhat, yes. I stopped doing fantasy baseball and even following baseball and hockey much because in order to keep up it took too much time. I don't miss either too much and find I can enjoy a game without knowing every pitcher's WHIP or batter's average. If the NFL played more throughout the week than it already does I'd probably quit FF entirely.
Can be. I used to play in 8 to 10 money leagues a year. Dynasty, keeper, auction, whatever.When my second child came along in 2008, I cut down over time. Only stayed in my long time (16th year) 12 x 15 redraft.Very content with my PT hobby. YMMV
:yes: At my "peak" I had 6 dynasty leagues and 4 redrafts. Now I have one redraft and two dynasty teams. The redraft is casual and I might spend half an hour total each week looking at the waiver wire or setting my lineup. I am addicted to trading. I can justify that as I could be trading stocks / gambling and losing real money doing so.

:goodposting: Fantasy football is more about the friendships and getting together every Sunday with league mates to watch football and talk #### to each other. The guy that wrote the article clearly seems to be missing out on the friendship and comradery part of fantasy football. And anyways, so what if it is addicting. It's not a bad hobby to have. Could be shooting heroin or something I guess.
Who could argue that having an addiction to fantasy football is worse than having an addiction to shooting heroin? The point of the article is to share some pitfalls that can come with any internet addiction, this guy's just happens to be fantasy football. If you cannot relate, you clearly don't have the addictive nature that some (clearly) do. Like smoking, drinking, gambling - they start off being about 'friendships and getting together with friends'. Admittedly, it seems/feels silly to compare fantasy sports to drugs, alcohol or gambling, but clinical studies show similar chemical reactions take place. The auhtor of the article does not 'lecture' or suggest that 'everyone cool it' with FF. He is simply sharing his own candid experiences and those of others, some who chose to 'unplug' because it was taking its toll on other aspects of their lives. I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of wives and other family members across the country that would be willing to chime in on your posed question, "so what if it is addicting"?

With all due respect, consider opening your mind a little bit, bud.

the nfl playoff games, where i have no fantasy interests, are a nice 'cool down' until i start thinking about my fantasy baseball season.

I play in 5 football leagues and baseball leagues each.

Here are some guidelines that' I employ that limit getting too obsessed and taking away from enoting the games

#1. Even though I consider myself a good FF player, I fully accept that luck plays a huge role in FF outcomes. I fully accept that there is much that I can't control or influence. Hence FF is akin to having several casual wagers on the game. Luck is even a bigger factor than ever as everyone gets roughly the same "hot info" whether they spend 5 minutes or 5 hours a day looking for it.

#2. Don't play in FCFS waiver leagues. Hence, no penalty to getting your info in reasonable dosages during the day as opposed to living on-line.

#3. Perhaps I'm delusional but I believe that 99% of all "experts". Don't know anymore than I do. Thus there is no return on investment in spending a lot of time reading all sorts of opinions.

#4. Unless it is a late round playoff FF game, I never pay attention to what players are on my opponents rosters until very late in the day on Sunday. That way I don't waste negative energy getting mad when certainNFL players do well. I don't check live scoring updates until lateSunday as well. I know if my guys are doing well or not but prefer not to get preoccupied with the scoreboard as it detracts from my "real" football watching

#5. While not an option for everyone, I am a season ticket holder and actually go to 6 to 8 games a year. This keeps me well grounded with the real ups and downs of being a fan.

#6. I play in a couple of survivor pools. Hence rooting for real wins and losses is still part of my DNA

#7. Limit watching of Red Zone to the extent Jets are playing or any other "interesting" NFL game is on.

#8. Do some useful stuff on Sunday's beyond Football. With older kids now, I play in a Sunday morning disc golf league that usually lasts from 10-1. Very healthy outlet and eliminates "wasting" lots of pregametime on FF. I also take my Lab for a 45 minute walk at some point on Sunday afternoon.

Anyway,for me these types of habits keep me with the right "balance"

Addictions take many forms and what haunts one person can be shrugged off by another. One person's alcohol is another person's porn is another person's fantasy football. In your mind you can reason one is worse or better than the other but the reality is the same and the author outlines it clearly: It (the addiction) takes over your life in various ways and consumes you. when that happens, it doesn't matter if your addiction is garage sales, its a problem, and not one to be glossed over.

After seeing replies to this taking pretty extreme sides one way or the other, it would be really interesting to see how old each person is that is taking their side in this (to see if it correlates with the author's claims that most addicts tend to be 20-something males).

Sure it's an addiction, but there are a lot worse ones out there.

With his wife and daughter in tow, Devaney pulled over before they traversed the highest parts of the mountainous drive, where he knew he’d lose all phone and Internet connection. Devaney had forgotten to plug in a last-minute waiver wire pickup, and game time was 10 short minutes away. An empty roster spot, for any fantasy addict, is a mortal sin, and enough to make you sick.“I’m up there, basically climbing these huge rocks, doing anything I can to get one bar on my phone, any sort of connection,” he said. “I’m essentially fully extending my arm in the air and I’m setting my lineup, and I just stopped and thought, ‘It’s ridiculous that I’m doing this.’ ”
Take away the mountains, and I'm sure I've been in that position before. :unsure:

Never really thought of FF as an “addiction” before, but it may well be one that I’m not ready to admit or accept. Sometimes you are too close to the situation for objectivity.

A decade ago, I could care less about silly fake football games and stats. Anybody who talked football to me in statistical terms other than wins/losses had zero credibility with me. I got coaxed into filling into a work league and beginner’s luck was on my side and I won the yearly league and just about every weekly pot that year. It was fun to watch the reaction of league mates on Monday mornings. It became competitive and dominating became its own thrill, forget about the money.

Now I play moreso as an outlet to deal with frustration that my real team sucks rocks....again. I think a lot of us use the FF hobby as a crutch to get through another painful realization that your favorite team is not making the real playoffs. It softens the blow and keeps you from tuning out. “At least my FF team is doing well…there’s that”.

With the boom of all these websites and the innerwebz, I spend way less time looking at stats and things.

it's way easier now to research without vesting tons of time :shrug:

#3. Perhaps I'm delusional but I believe that 99% of all "experts". Don't know anymore than I do. Thus there is no return on investment in spending a lot of time reading all sorts of opinions.#4. Unless it is a late round playoff FF game, I never pay attention to what players are on my opponents rosters until very late in the day on Sunday. That way I don't waste negative energy getting mad when certainNFL players do well. I don't check live scoring updates until lateSunday as well. I know if my guys are doing well or not but prefer not to get preoccupied with the scoreboard as it detracts from my "real" football watching#8. Do some useful stuff on Sunday's beyond Football. With older kids now, I play in a Sunday morning disc golf league that usually lasts from 10-1. Very healthy outlet and eliminates "wasting" lots of pregametime on FF. I also take my Lab for a 45 minute walk at some point on Sunday afternoon.
3 - true, but research also involves checking injuries and keeping tabs on prospects on my watch-list.4 - probably a good call. In leagues where more than one copy of each player is available it can be beneficial to start the same player as your opponent, but otherwise I agree.8 - yes. I rarely watch entire games.

Thursday nights really just shone a light on the situation for me. For more serious players, this has always been 7 days a week but I think this year has dragged a lot of "semi-casual" players into that kind of 7 day a week cycle. I think my apex in this hobby is definitely in my rear view mirror. One week I had all early starters, got blown out and actually looked forward to a Sunday afternoon, night and Monday night of football with no "juice" involved. I think the worm is turning...

Been playing for over 12 years. Used to do 5+ leagues but I widdled it down to 2 main leagues. I'm definitely addicted and it gets in the way of work, family, friends, sleep, health. I have been contemplating quitting this Gd foresaken hobby since last year. This year I more serious about leavin it than ever.

Problem is I'm in a dynasty league with many of my childhood friends and it serves to keep us all in close touch with each other. If it wasn't for that league I'd have quit already. I have decisions to make after this year.

Im really starting to see the merit in quitting and I am thankful to the op for posting this article. I've been thinking for a few years now that my ff addiction is an unhealthy and counterproductive part of my life.

I knew I had an issue when I visiting my significant other's family and I was miserable because the internet connection wouldn't allow me to watch the games on my iPad. She calmly said, "Imagine if I wanted to watch scrapbooking shows only on Thursday night, all day Sunday, and on Monday night. We could not do ANYTHING because I want to watch scrapbooking. Just think about it." It really is true. What am I doing? I didn't change anything, but it did give me pause.

Sure it's an addiction, but there are a lot worse ones out there.

With his wife and daughter in tow, Devaney pulled over before they traversed the highest parts of the mountainous drive, where he knew he’d lose all phone and Internet connection. Devaney had forgotten to plug in a last-minute waiver wire pickup, and game time was 10 short minutes away. An empty roster spot, for any fantasy addict, is a mortal sin, and enough to make you sick.“I’m up there, basically climbing these huge rocks, doing anything I can to get one bar on my phone, any sort of connection,” he said. “I’m essentially fully extending my arm in the air and I’m setting my lineup, and I just stopped and thought, ‘It’s ridiculous that I’m doing this.’ ”
Take away the mountains, and I'm sure I've been in that position before. :unsure:
I was there on Thanksgiving. I had to pull off the road driving home so I could get Aaron Hernandez in my lineup. My GF just laughed about it. Addiction - sure, but if I'm going to be addicted to something it may as well be something that makes me money as opposed to costing money. I spend a lot of time on it but I'm still able to balance my life pretty well. I don't need to watch the Thursday game every week and I spend a lot of time online in the evenings researching FF while she is watching her silly primetime TV shows (I don't know how many of those stupid singing contest shows they have but there seems to be one on every night) so that works out good. It does cut into my work productivity some but not enough to be a problem.

I knew I had an issue when I visiting my significant other's family and I was miserable because the internet connection wouldn't allow me to watch the games on my iPad. She calmly said, "Imagine if I wanted to watch scrapbooking shows only on Thursday night, all day Sunday, and on Monday night. We could not do ANYTHING because I want to watch scrapbooking. Just think about it." It really is true. What am I doing? I didn't change anything, but it did give me pause.
Just make sure "scrapbooking" doesn't become "poking the milkman"...

Thursday nights really just shone a light on the situation for me. For more serious players, this has always been 7 days a week but I think this year has dragged a lot of "semi-casual" players into that kind of 7 day a week cycle. I think my apex in this hobby is definitely in my rear view mirror. One week I had all early starters, got blown out and actually looked forward to a Sunday afternoon, night and Monday night of football with no "juice" involved. I think the worm is turning...
I hear ya. There are times when I question playing. It is always after a tough fantasy loss. I knew about fantasy football when I was 10, but did not play till I was 23. My enjoyment of the NFL did not increase or decrease based on fantasy football.

Hello, my name is Warpig...and I have an addiction.

Like the guy said in the article, I only watch football for stats. I could care less how the game turns out. If my players stink it up, it ruins my whole day.

However, I do feel the burnout coming on. I was in 6 leagues this year of varying sorts (dynasty and redraft) and I'm also in a weekly office pickem pool. I usually win enough to continue playing without paying out of pocket each year as well as being able to buy a few toys for myself. That is how I justify it.

But I'm starting to lose interest due to the amount of time it takes spent online doing research looking for those little nuggets of gold. There are leagues I am in where the owners are clueless and are continually horrible so the competition level is watering down. So that contributes to my lack on interest and involvement.

I'm gonna try to cut down to 3 or 4 leagues after this season and then see if I can pare that down a little the next year. I feel that I will eventually drop all my leagues. Then I'll be able to sit back and enjoy any football game with my kids and appreciate it for what it is...THE GREATEST SPORT IN THE WORLD!

Post of the season! :thumbup: I couldn't agree more.

That's actually absolute ####. I follow the guy on twitter and have interacted with him a ton. Pretty normal guy. Sure, fantasy football isn't a very harmful addiction, but it still is one. We are all dedicating times out of our day to manage imaginary rosters and gamble on very unpredictable performance. If we really wanted to make money or do profitable gambling, playing poker is an area where over a large sample, variance goes down. That, or we'd play fantasy baseball, with much more reliable statistics and a much more skilled game. The article makes a valid point: we know its stupid, but it consumes us anyway. I didn't find the article preachy at all, I found it reasonable. I've owned Hakeem Nicks before and had to cheer against the Dallas Cowboys and felt happy when they got scored on. That's clearly not the correct spirit to approach football with, but that is where we are at. I don't really know how you can argue against that claim at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya. There are times when I question playing. It is always after a tough fantasy loss. I knew about fantasy football when I was 10, but did not play till I was 23. My enjoyment of the NFL did not increase or decrease based on fantasy football.
This used to be true for me, but I'm finding this year, I feel that way in general, win or loss. And it's not bad teams either - all my teams are either in the playoffs, or will be if I win the next two weeks. I haven't watched much Thursday, Sunday, or Monday night football this year... in fact, if it wasn't for the Subscriber contest, I wouldn't even pay attention to them. It is ironic that the team/league I spend the most time on is the Sub contest, given that all the decisions were made in August, and now it's just wait and see...

That's actually absolute ####. I follow the guy on twitter and have interacted with him a ton. Pretty normal guy. Sure, fantasy football isn't a very harmful addiction, but it still is one. We are all dedicating times out of our day to manage imaginary rosters and gamble on very unpredictable performance. If we really wanted to make money or do profitable gambling, playing poker is an area where over a large sample, variance goes down. That, or we'd play fantasy baseball, with much more reliable statistics and a much more skilled game. The article makes a valid point: we know its stupid, but it consumes us anyway. I didn't find the article preachy at all, I found it reasonable. I've owned Hakeem Nicks before and had to cheer against the Dallas Cowboys and felt happy when they got scored on. That's clearly not the correct spirit to approach football with, but that is where we are at. I don't really know how you can argue against that claim at all.
Dude, read his first paragraph... at 22-yrs old he had been watching football for TWELVE HOURS EVERY SUNDAY SINCE AGE 10?!?!?!Yeah, I'm sorry... he may have a "problem"... but he's had it his whole life. Don't blame a silly hobby for your (his) crap pile of a life when he's been "addicted" to watching every minute of football coverage since 5th grade. Maybe he should have gotten out of the house a few times 20 years ago.

I realized I had an issue when I started rationalizing cheering for opposing players. "Well I hope Fitz gets 6/100/1 tonight, but the Niners still win". Just never felt right. So now I just turn off my phone and don't go online for a few hours when the Niners play. Football has become much more enjoyable again (this might also have something to do with the Niners being relevant again).

Users who are viewing this thread