What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Family Vacation- Charlotte & Ashville (1 Viewer)

odin33

Footballguy
Planning the family vacation which will include driving to Charlotte to see family for a few days, and a few in Asheville. I've done some research on both places but it's often the non google endorsed spots that turn out to be great. Looking for advice from those in the area or have been in the past. We will be going at the end of July/early Aug.

I know Asheville has a ton of breweries so we'll hit New Belgium and a few others I'm sure. The pinball museum looks like it could be fun. Apparently a number of small artisan craft/art type places which is up our alley. Likely to book a Vrbo close to pack square and off the wagon dueling piano bar for reference so I think I'm within walking distance to a few things. Would like to do some trail walking- none of us are in great shape (some medical issues) so needs to be on the easier side.

total of 4- Wife & Daughters (16 & 13)
3-4 days at each location
We are foodies and prefer non chain spots
breweries or distilleries (bourbon), yes please
No interest in the beach, coaster/water park, or a 4 major sports event
Is Biltmore just walking around and looking at a huge house, nice grounds and a history lesson?
places to avoid safety wise?

TIA

Would like to do some trail walking- none of us are in great shape (some medical issues) so needs to be on the easier side.

How much or how little do you want to do? If little to none and still want to get some good views, just drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway for a while. There are a lot of pull off spots to park.

Here was our Asheville itinerary from a couple years ago. Enjoyed immensely.

Tuesday 20 July: Blue Ridge Parkway (cont.)
Drive, Fairfield Wytheville to Renaissance Asheville via Blue Ridge Parkway
Photo stop @ Blowing Rock
Hike Grandfather Mountain
Lunch @ [TBD]
Hike Linville Falls (Erwins View Trail; 1.7 miles, easy rating)
Hike Craggy Gardens (1.9 miles, moderate rating)
Dinner @ Hemingway’s Cuba (this was fine. meh)
Drinks @ TreeRock Social Cider (closes @ 10p)

Wednesday 21 July: AM Biltmore Estate, PM Cider Tasting
Breakfast @ The Rhu
Drive to the Biltmore Estate (~15 minutes + parking)
1145: Visit the Biltmore (pre-purchased virtual tickets)
Lunch & cider tasting @ Noble Cider (opens @ 1p)
Cider tasting @ Urban Orchard Cider Co (opens @ 2p)
Dinner @ Bear’s Smokehouse
Drinks @ Ben’s Tune Up

Thursday 22 July: AM Hike, PM Cider Tasting
Hike Chimney Rock (open 830-530p)
Moderate, 2.8 miles, ~2 hours
Cider tasting @ Appalachian Ridge Cidery (open 12p-6p)
Lunch & cider tasting @ Bold Rock Hard Cider (open 12p-9p)
Champagne @ Battery Park Book Exchange (open 12p-8p)
730p: Dinner @ Rhubarb (burrata appetizer and “house cure” recommended)

Friday 23 July:
1210p: Lunch @ Chai Pani
7p: Dinner @ Cucina24

Saturday 24 July: Asheville
Beers @ Wicked Weed Brewing (10 min walk)
Lunch at Luella’s BBQ
7p: Dinner @ Forestry Camp

Did you actually schedule this itinerary to this level of detail before going or is this a recap of what you actually did?
Dude I deleted in between every line where we had method of transit and a google maps link with timing (e.g., 8 mins)

We are planners lol. Especially my wife.

Did you actually schedule this itinerary to this level of detail before going or is this a recap of what you actually did?
Dude I deleted in between every line where we had method of transit and a google maps link with timing (e.g., 8 mins)

Wow, Going into that type of detail would stress me out. Vacations are general outlines for us. Go with the flow for me.....hahaha

Is Mac’s Speedshop in Charlotte still good? I see they have several locations now but the one I tried 13 years ago had good bbq. Live in Texas so I have opinions on bbq and probably didn’t expect much.

Wow, Going into that type of detail would stress me out. Vacations are general outlines for us. Go with the flow for me.....hahaha
Yeah. I love it because we don't have to make any decisions once we get to vacation. When she did it for our 6-week NZ trip, i did go through and force her to add a bunch of "free time" on half days LOL.

I like to either be in control, or not have to think and totally go with flow. Which is nice because we've aligned on that...so if she plans it, I get an input period and otherwise I just roll with it. Same inverse.

Going to Asheville this coming Wednesday.

For breweries - New Belgium, Burial, Wicked Weed, Hi-Wire - and if you’re up for a drive Sierra Nevada down south of town, and even Oscar Blues.

Biltmore is worth it if you’ve never been and like history, but likely not if you’ve already been. Maybe I’m a wine snob, but I wasn’t impressed with their winery or their wine.

If you’re into biking and outdoors stuff, there is tons to do. Also, the “Western NC Nature Center” is there and very much worth it if you have young kids.

For breweries - New Belgium, Burial, Wicked Weed, Hi-Wire - and if you’re up for a drive Sierra Nevada down south of town, and even Oscar Blues.

Biltmore is worth it if you’ve never been and like history, but likely not if you’ve already been. Maybe I’m a wine snob, but I wasn’t impressed with their winery or their wine.

If you’re into biking and outdoors stuff, there is tons to do. Also, the “Western NC Nature Center” is there and very much worth it if you have young kids.
At Biltmore; The wine was fine. At best. Agree. The ice cream I thought was actually very good though!

A couple places I really like on this list (Chai Pani and Rhu/Rhubarb). Curate is a must, but difficult to reserve.

I still like Wicked Weed and the Funkatorium, even though they went corporate. I'll add in Burial and Thirsty Monk for places downtown. Outside of the city, Sierra Nevada has a really nice palace of a brewery. You can always hit up Highland and the distillery attached. These later options are more cool places to hang out than good drinks.

A couple places I really like on this list (Chai Pani and Rhu/Rhubarb). Curate is a must, but difficult to reserve.

I still like Wicked Weed and the Funkatorium, even though they went corporate. I'll add in Burial and Thirsty Monk for places downtown. Outside of the city, Sierra Nevada has a really nice palace of a brewery. You can always hit up Highland and the distillery attached. These later options are more cool places to hang out than good drinks.
I think maybe it wasnt on my list (or I missed it skimming) but I reeeeallllly liked our afternoon at Bold Rock one day. There was like a food truck-y setup, great drink, good burger hotdog style food, beautiful day, great lawn games. Beautiful views.

Is Mac’s Speedshop in Charlotte still good? I see they have several locations now but the one I tried 13 years ago had good bbq. Live in Texas so I have opinions on bbq and probably didn’t expect much.
It's alright. I like different spots better. It's more of Texas style so that would explain why you like it. Their sauces were always a bit too spicy for my wife.

I'm about an hour away from Asheville, but have only been there about 6-7 times in the past 15 years.

Biltmore is worth it.
BIG hippie presence throughout the city.
Hitting at least 1 brewery is mandatory.
Chimney rock is a cool outdoor event.

Whitewater center in Charlotte for music, activities and people watching

Always enjoyed tubing in Asheville in the morning and breweries in the afternoon.

Would like to do some trail walking- none of us are in great shape (some medical issues) so needs to be on the easier side.

How much or how little do you want to do? If little to none and still want to get some good views, just drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway for a while. There are a lot of pull off spots to park.
Wife has medical condition where she can’t get too taxed or she’ll pass out so blue ridge parkway may be more our speed. If it’s an ‘easy’ hike probably in the 1.5-2 mile range is doable.

Lunch @ [TBD]

Breakfast @ The Rhu
Drinks @ Ben’s Tune Up

Friday 23 July:

Lunch at Luella’s BBQ
Wife did something like this for the Disney trip (which made the vacation) and I like having ‘something’ for every day but this is next level stuff for a normal vacation. Glad it works for you guys.

I can get New Belgium here at home (Cincy) and have seen a little hi wire as well. Will have to check out the others.

Biltmore. Never been. Family is not history buffs. Most museums get a roll of the eyes, but this looks to be a potential bridge into more knowledge things.

I'm about an hour away from Asheville, but have only been there about 6-7 times in the past 15 years.

Biltmore is worth it.

Whitewater Center and either Camp North End or Optimist Hall seems like places they would enjoy in Charlotte.

If you're driving between the two cities, this is a place I like to stop only slightly out of the way: https://www.hikewnc.info/besthikes/grandfather-ranger-district/toms-creek-falls
Yes driving this trip. I’ll add t to the itinerary. We were left going to arrive n Asheville early so this is a nice fill in. Much appreciated.

I can get New Belgium here at home (Cincy) and have seen a little hi wire as well. Will have to check out the others.

Biltmore. Never been. Family is not history buffs. Most museums get a roll of the eyes, but this looks to be a potential bridge into more knowledge things.
Biltmore is still worth going to just to see it. It’s pretty incredible.

Wife has medical condition where she can’t get too taxed or she’ll pass out so blue ridge parkway may be more our speed. If it’s an ‘easy’ hike probably in the 1.5-2 mile range is doable.

The parkway is the road. There are a lot of turnoffs where you don't need to hike, just get out of the car and sightsee.

Biltmore is worth it.

Whitewater Center and either Camp North End or Optimist Hall seems like places they would enjoy in Charlotte.

If you're driving between the two cities, this is a place I like to stop only slightly out of the way: https://www.hikewnc.info/besthikes/grandfather-ranger-district/toms-creek-falls
Yes driving this trip. I’ll add t to the itinerary. We were left going to arrive n Asheville early so this is a nice fill in. Much appreciated.
That site (hikewnc.info) is really a great one for anything you're thinking about doing trail wise west of Charlotte. I've found some more arduous hikes on there I enjoyed. Also a great way to find the better stop offs on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

A Charlotte to Asheville trip could also find you wanting to spend time in Hickory, Black Mountain, or Morganton.

Charlotte has some good breweries as well. A lot in the South End area, which is a fun area where a ton of young folks live. The OMB Bier Garden is pretty fantastic place to spend some time if you like German beer, then there is a brewery about 30 yards away (Protagonist) which has great pizza, a Belgium brewery right next door (Sugar Creek) and then a 4th brewery another 100 yards away (4001 Yancey) that is a combination of 3 Northern breweries (Southern Tier, Victory and Sixpoint).
The two "best" breweries are in a different area called Plaza Midwood which is another cool, alternative type area (Burial from Asheville and Resident Culture). Midwood Smokehouse is a good local BBQ chain that started in Plaza Midwood.
The Whitewater center is a great place to get outdoors and people watch, walk some trails and have a few beers as well.
And there are the two Lakes, if you're into that, Norman in the north and Wylie in the south.
As mentioned, Camp North End and Optimist Hall are also fun areas.
Fun places to eat are Peppervine (fancy, in South Park), Beef N Bottle (old school steak place) and Supperland (fancy, in Plaza Midwood).

Have fun.

Charlotte has some good breweries as well. A lot in the South End area, which is a fun area where a ton of young folks live. The OMB Bier Garden is pretty fantastic place to spend some time if you like German beer, then there is a brewery about 30 yards away (Protagonist) which has great pizza, a Belgium brewery right next door (Sugar Creek) and then a 4th brewery another 100 yards away (4001 Yancey) that is a combination of 3 Northern breweries (Southern Tier, Victory and Sixpoint).
The two "best" breweries are in a different area called Plaza Midwood which is another cool, alternative type area (Burial from Asheville and Resident Culture). Midwood Smokehouse is a good local BBQ chain that started in Plaza Midwood.
The Whitewater center is a great place to get outdoors and people watch, walk some trails and have a few beers as well.
And there are the two Lakes, if you're into that, Norman in the north and Wylie in the south.
As mentioned, Camp North End and Optimist Hall are also fun areas.
Fun places to eat are Peppervine (fancy, in South Park), Beef N Bottle (old school steak place) and Supperland (fancy, in Plaza Midwood).

Have fun.
Not sure when you will be in CLT but Supperland has a fantastic brunch buffet on Sundays that is easier to get reservations for than the normal dinner resys. They also have a speakeasy.
Linky

OMB beer garden in Charlotte is nice. I’m not too into the German beers, but there is a giant area for kids to play. Not sure if daughters still of that age where would like to run around, but was definitely nice when I had my son there last year.

Other fun thing I did with my son was the NASCAR hall of fame, but maybe not something rest of your family would be into.

Lunch @ [TBD]

Breakfast @ The Rhu
Drinks @ Ben’s Tune Up

Friday 23 July:

Lunch at Luella’s BBQ
This is my kind of itinerary. Well done!

In Asheville now. The blue ridge parkway up to mt Mitchell is worth the drive. The Western NC nature center in Asheville also well worth the visit if you have kids (those red pandas are frickin cute!). Great breweries everywhere you look downtown.

Also, when in Asheville, gotta say the pinball museum (and the “poster shop”) next door is worth the stop, especially if you have anyone under 20 with you.

Users who are viewing this thread