What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vacation (1 Viewer)

msudaisy26

Footballguy
So we don't have any good ideas for vacation this summer and need help. Here are some parameters we already set in place.

We have passports, so it can be abroad.
Nothing to hot, we went to the Riviera Maya at the end of May last year and it was too hot.
No Florida, we are going there this winter.

Family if 3, daughter is going to be 10 soon. Ideas that are in the lead. Camping on lake Michigan, possibly a water park. We looked at the one on the Jersey shore and one in Texas.

when I had kids that age, we usually built a vacation around amusement parks and or beach. A nice one was Virginia- a couple of parks, beach, Williamsburg, shenadoah valley.

If Canada appeals to you, I highly recommend Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island.
I second Canada but would go somewhere besides NS/PEI. It's nice out there but pretty slow paced and small.
If going to Canada, head to the West. Can get fairly cheap flights to Vancouver/Calgary/Banff

For Canada, I remember liking Montreal and Quebec City when I was around that age — but I was a bit into history.

Smoky Mountains. You can camp there if you want, great outdoor fun with plenty of hiking, taking a dip in a mountain stream swimming hole, picnic in Cades Cove... If you want to do something a little more commercialized on a couple days, there are waterparks, amusement parks, go carts, mini golf, shows, etc in nearby Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.

disney cruise

Neither one of us have ever been on a cruise. Will look into it, but if I am being honest if I never went on a cruise in my life I don't think I would regret that.

with covid here and not, a cruise might be a tough sell for some, but so many activities for little ones, you get to see multiple places and never have to change hotel rooms, a zillion food options included in cost. i have never had a bad time on a cruise and it’s the most bang for your buck IMO.

So we don't have any good ideas for vacation this summer and need help. Here are some parameters we already set in place.

Nothing to hot, we went to the Riviera Maya at the end of May last year and it was too hot.

Family if 3, daughter is going to be 10 soon. Ideas that are in the lead. Camping on lake Michigan, possibly a water park. We looked at the one on the Jersey shore and one in Texas.
In the US, you can't beat Glacier National park.. With younger kids, I Recommend staying on the West side where you are close to places like Whitefish.

We are heading to Banff, Canada ourselves this summer which looks like North Americas version of Switzerland :biggrin:

Ever been to the western slope in Colorado? Ouray, Telluride, Durango, The Million Dollar Highway

Its great in the summer… rent a jeep, catch a trout, camp in the wilderness, or hang out with Oprah!

Telluride live web cam

I don't think so. I have been to Aurora. My cousin lives there and we took a trip to Denver and Boulder. That was an all adult trip though.
Oh boy… comparing Aurora, CO to the western slope of Co is like comparing the worst city in Florida, seriously, the worst city… to Key West.

I didn't realize anyone from outside the area actually visited the jersey shore.

Good to know. We saw a travel channel show and it looked cool with a lot of different things to do.
If you're talking just beach and boardwalk, I'd do ocean city md. Now if you're mixing in nyc and maybe Delaware water gap (couple good water parks by there), now you're onto something.

disney cruise

Neither one of us have ever been on a cruise. Will look into it, but if I am being honest if I never went on a cruise in my life I don't think I would regret that.
I am one who enjoys a cruise. However, if you are the type to want to go to a new place and really absorb its culture, a cruise is not a good way to do that. At best cruises allow you to get a small taste of a few places. And then, depending on your choice of activities in a port of call, you may not even get that taste.

Ever been to the western slope in Colorado? Ouray, Telluride, Durango, The Million Dollar Highway

Its great in the summer… rent a jeep, catch a trout, camp in the wilderness, or hang out with Oprah!

Telluride live web cam

I don't think so. I have been to Aurora. My cousin lives there and we took a trip to Denver and Boulder. That was an all adult trip though.
Oh boy… comparing Aurora, CO to the western slope of Co is like comparing the worst city in Florida, seriously, the worst city… to Key West.
What did Jacksonville ever do to you?

In the US, you can't beat Glacier National park.. With younger kids, I Recommend staying on the West side where you are close to places like Whitefish.

We are heading to Banff, Canada ourselves this summer which looks like North Americas version of Switzerland :biggrin:
I was gonna say Glacier as well. Beautiful scenery and tons of wildlife, with lots of hiking + water activities. We camped part of the time, and stayed at the Many Glacier Lodge.

Banff also looks awesome.

I've always wanted to go to Banff. My friends in Canada rave about it and keep trying to get me to make the trip.

Just out of curiosity, where did you go in the Riviera Maya?

when I had kids that age, we usually built a vacation around amusement parks and or beach. A nice one was Virginia- a couple of parks, beach, Williamsburg, shenadoah valley.

As a lifelong Virginian that vistis florida all the time, I can assure you Virginia is as hot as Florida in the summers. It's a great place to take a trip, but spring and fall are much better. ETA: Well I just looked and FL is technically 1 degree warmer.

I did love the Vancouver/Victoria area. Really pretty. Whistler in summer is very cool if you like nature.

disney cruise

I’ve hated every cruise that I’ve been on, except one... Alaska cruise is great, and really the only way to do it. I did a land+cruise that started in Fairbanks, down into Denali park, cruised from Seward to Vancouver, and tacked on some extra days there. Lots of great stops on the cruise. (Stops in Glacier Bay National Park, Juneau, Ketchikan, et al)

Maggie's Valley in the NE part of North Carolina for a laid-back chill trip, lots of hiking to do. Tons of little shops and such. Asheville is about a 30/45 minute ride away so you can do little day trips out that way. We did a VRBO up in the mountains and it was really cool to wake up in the "smokey" part of the smokey mountains most mornings.

Michigan has some great spots if you want to do Lake Michigan camping or any of the little towns by the lake. The lake doesn't really get warm so definitely not a place I would swim.

One of my favorite ski places was Sunshine Village (Banff area) but haven't been there in the Summer. If going there in the Summer, based on recommendations from people I know who have been there, I would suggest looking into an early July trip with a stay in Calgary for the Stampede (you'll be flying into Calgary anyway). Very popular, so I don't know if it's already too late to get accommodations in Calgary at that time.

edit - forgot to mention - stayed at the Banff Springs, one of the grand old Canadian Pacific hotels, a really cool historical place.

Last edited:

As a lifelong Virginian that vistis florida all the time, I can assure you Virginia is as hot as Florida in the summers. It's a great place to take a trip, but spring and fall are much better. ETA: Well I just looked and FL is technically 1 degree warmer.

I did love the Vancouver/Victoria area. Really pretty. Whistler in summer is very cool if you like nature.
That’s why you hit the beach and or water parks. I’m from ct but Virginia has everything for a nice vacation with kids. I think we spend a day at water park, Busch gardens, Williamsburg then several days at virginai beach and a long drive thru Shenandoah.

If Canada appeals to you, I highly recommend Nova Scotia/Prince Edward Island.

Have you been there before and if so do you mind if I ask what you did?
I was there with my wife about 5-6 years ago. It’s very picturesque and Halifax and Charlottetown are really nice cities. Not sure there will be a lot to keep a 10 year old interested, but I’ll try to look back at what we did.

Really depends what you want to spend. Some good camping, outdoors ideas here. I‘ll add the White Mountains in New Hampshire as a nice spot with a lot to do. If you’re looking to go bigger, Iceland or Ireland perhaps.

disney cruise

I’ve hated every cruise that I’ve been on, except one... Alaska cruise is great, and really the only way to do it. I did a land+cruise that started in Fairbanks, down into Denali park, cruised from Seward to Vancouver, and tacked on some extra days there. Lots of great stops on the cruise. (Stops in Glacier Bay National Park, Juneau, Ketchikan, et al)
Is that what you've determined? Alaska is on the shortlist and I've solely heard of people visiting it via cruise but never looked into an alternative. I've never gone cruising before so didn't know how I'd like that in general.

disney cruise

Is that what you've determined? Alaska is on the shortlist and I've solely heard of people visiting it via cruise but never looked into an alternative. I've never gone cruising before so didn't know how I'd like that in general.
It depends on what you want to do, but mostly.

Can fly into Fairbanks or Anchorage, and see Denali and Katmai National Parks by sticking to land.

But there are no roads/bridges to get you to places like Glacier Bay National Park, Juneau, Ketchikan, or Sitka. Need to either fly or take a boat.

disney cruise

It depends on what you want to do, but mostly.

Can fly into Fairbanks or Anchorage, and see Denali and Katmai National Parks by sticking to land.

But there are no roads/bridges to get you to places like Glacier Bay National Park, Juneau, Ketchikan, or Sitka. Need to either fly or take a boat.
And you tacked on the extra days to hang out in Vancouver? I like that idea. Vancouver is on the longer list. How long was the cruise?

Really depends what you want to spend. Some good camping, outdoors ideas here. I‘ll add the White Mountains in New Hampshire as a nice spot with a lot to do. If you’re looking to go bigger, Iceland or Ireland perhaps.

I should have said this in the OP. We are going to go "cheaper" on this vacation. Not to the point where we have to camp and make all our own meals, but we are going going to Lake Tahoe in a few weeks and then we always go south (Florida or Mexico) in the winter. Those will both be more expensive vacations.

I've always wanted to go to Banff. My friends in Canada rave about it and keep trying to get me to make the trip.

We stayed at the Ibero Star. It was okay, there are definitely better places.

Smoky Mountains. You can camp there if you want, great outdoor fun with plenty of hiking, taking a dip in a mountain stream swimming hole, picnic in Cades Cove... If you want to do something a little more commercialized on a couple days, there are waterparks, amusement parks, go carts, mini golf, shows, etc in nearby Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.
After having not been for over 15 years we're going twice this year. We're going with another couple and getting a cabin this summer and the wife and I are taking the RV back up there in the fall.

If you want an outside opinion on alternatives next time, let me know.

Thanks. I would be open to any suggestions. We stayed at the moon palace in Cancun before and that was really nice. I am not sure if we are going to Florida this winter or Mexico, but if it is Mexico we want to try something new.

Thanks. I would be open to any suggestions. We stayed at the moon palace in Cancun before and that was really nice. I am not sure if we are going to Florida this winter or Mexico, but if it is Mexico we want to try something new.
LOL. That's where I always stay as well. Resort is really nice. The water isn't. One of the things I love about that place is that they have a sister hotel in the hotel district called the Beach Palace and you can go there for the day and enjoy the far nicer water there.

It's truly stunning. If anyone ever plans to take a trip there, let me know I have lots of recommendations. I live less than an hour away and go 5-10 times a year.

Lots of camping, hot springs, gondola, hiking galore, wildlife, shopping, outdoor activities, lakes, and above all, incredibly beautiful free scenery.

Telluride live web cam
One of my favorite vacations was a solo road trip to that area. Went from the Bay Area to Flagstaff for a night, then up to the San Juan’s. Spent 6-7 days in Silverton with a race going on over the weekend that goes through Ouray and Telluride so got to check those out. Then hit Durango for a night, on to Moab for a night, then home. Camped for free on BLM land every night, typical day was go for a hike or trail run for a few hours, maybe do a little fishing, hit town for some beers and food, out to the campsite before sunset and a campfire. Camping most nights by a stream with nobody around, yet was never more than 20-30 minutes from a town. Ten days of heaven.

It's truly stunning. If anyone ever plans to take a trip there, let me know I have lots of recommendations. I live less than an hour away and go 5-10 times a year.

Lots of camping, hot springs, gondola, hiking galore, wildlife, shopping, outdoor activities, lakes, and above all, incredibly beautiful free scenery.
Sorry MSU, nothing really to add to the thread, but as someone who really doesn’t enjoy traveling and misses home after a few days, Banff and Jasper are the only places that even after about a week and a half I didn’t want to leave. I constantly think of them.

a couple here have mentioned Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. The strips are crowded, but plenty for kids to do and if you got a cabin you’d be far enough away for the quieter stuff too.

Sorry MSU, nothing really to add to the thread, but as someone who really doesn’t enjoy traveling and misses home after a few days, Banff and Jasper are the only places that even after about a week and a half I didn’t want to leave. I constantly think of them.

a couple here have mentioned Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. The strips are crowded, but plenty for kids to do and if you got a cabin you’d be far enough away for the quieter stuff too.
It's an amazing area and flights into Calgary are affordable. Only thing is you'll for sure need a rental car, but those are pretty cheap here too. Hotels can get pricey in the summer but camping or a combo of hotels/camping can significantly bring costs down.

LOL. That's where I always stay as well. Resort is really nice. The water isn't. One of the things I love about that place is that they have a sister hotel in the hotel district called the Beach Palace and you can go there for the day and enjoy the far nicer water there.

Wow, small world. The reason we tried the Ibero Star was to see if there was something better. Our only complaint about Moon Palace was the beach.

not sure about campsite availability, but Muskegon/Grand Haven may be up your alley. Muskegon has Michigan Adventure, a big water park. You are also close to Grand Rapids. Down my way in the corner, there is Warren Dunes State Park and Weko Beach in Bridgman.

not sure about campsite availability, but Muskegon/Grand Haven may be up your alley. Muskegon has Michigan Adventure, a big water park. You are also close to Grand Rapids. Down my way in the corner, there is Warren Dunes State Park and Weko Beach in Bridgman.

We go to Grand Haven every year. Sometimes it is day trip, sometimes for a long weekend. Great place.

My wife and I are headed there mid-June (Saturday to Thursday) to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. :wub:

Currently have Lake Louise, Johnstons Canyon, Banff Gondola, Cascade Garden and of course lots of walking/shopping through Banff downtown.
We are staying at The Fox hotel and suites as the pool area in photos looks stunning.

Anything you could give us for tips would be great!

My wife and I are headed there mid-June (Saturday to Thursday) to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. :wub:

Currently have Lake Louise, Johnstons Canyon, Banff Gondola, Cascade Garden and of course lots of walking/shopping through Banff downtown.
We are staying at The Fox hotel and suites as the pool area in photos looks stunning.

This is amazing! I'll send you a bunch of stuff over PM.

PM'd ya a bunch of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread