What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: QB DeShone Kizer, Titans (1 Viewer)

Just leave it alone.  I disagree with your position, but if there is a jaded opinion in this thread you don't need to go any further than a mirror to find it.  Stop making excuses for him.  This kid has some very real flaws, and some of them are between the ears.  Or keep pretending he's the perfect QB.  Fine.  But find another target for your stalking.
If anything it's the "between the ears" that I like most about Kizer.  Dude is sharp as a tack in terms of "football IQ" (God I hate that, but I guess it's a gotta be a thing).  Obviously lacks some self-awareness and is taking the confidence thing wayyyy too far, but man... very impressed with the kid's knowledge of the x's and o's.  I have to agree that he's got mad upside, most in this class by far.  And on top of all that, he's got the size and arm to succeed.  In the right system he could easily be the best of this class.  I will be forgoing the Trubisky's and Watson's and will be drafting Kizer instead.  He'll come much cheaper... of course landing spot for each may move things around a little but I'm going to stand by this kid.  He'll grow up.

ESPN's Jon Gruden Analyzes 2017 QB Draft Class

Excerpt:

DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

"I liked him when I met with him. He's obviously very sharp and well spoken. He's charismatic in a lot of ways. He's not real proud of (Notre Dame's) 4-8 record. But I did like him. I thought he had a genuine, sincere, honest nature about him. I like his obvious size, and the strength of his arm is impressive. Would I use a first round pick on him? Probably not. I don't think the body of work is complete. I think there are some things that he's got to resolve in terms of late game situations. There are some things where I think he's still a little rough around the edges. But from an athletic standpoint he's got a lot of ability. He's athletic, he's tough and he's got a cannon of an arm."

I think there is a very big disconnect between talent and readiness. I think Kizer is the best QB prospect in this class, but also its entirely possible, if not probable, that he goes in round 2. I can somewhat understand Trubisky and Watson going ahead of him, because they are both likely more NFL ready, but Mahomes blows my mind. 

My QB board goes:

Kizer, Trubisky, Watson

Mahomes, Webb

Kayaa, Peterman

Dobbs, Kelly

I think there is a very big disconnect between talent and readiness. I think Kizer is the best QB prospect in this class, but also its entirely possible, if not probable, that he goes in round 2. I can somewhat understand Trubisky and Watson going ahead of him, because they are both likely more NFL ready, but Mahomes blows my mind. 

My QB board goes:

Kizer, Trubisky, Watson

Mahomes, Webb

Kayaa, Peterman

Dobbs, Kelly
How do you figure Trubisky is more NFL ready? Started 1 year and got most of his plays from the sidelines during the game.  Kizer was in the most pro-style system of any QB coming out and started 2 years. I could understand Watson going ahead of him.

At least 4 qbs will go in the first round. Highly improbable Kizer drops to the second. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's hoping his latest comments drops him down to the Bears in round 2. He'd be worth the pick there. I don't mind e confidence but now he has a lot to live up to with those comments. Anything short of being a regular pro-bowler would be a disappointment. He said it, now has to live up to it.

Here's hoping his latest comments drops him down to the Bears in round 2. He'd be worth the pick there. I don't mind e confidence but now he has a lot to live up to with those comments. Anything short of being a regular pro-bowler would be a disappointment. He said it, now has to live up to it.
I would love him for my (our?) Bearzzz.  Let Glennon be a hair over mediocre for a couple of seasons and let Kizer simmer.

In a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel poll of 16 NFL evaluators, Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer was named the most likely quarterback to bust among the class' top-five signal-callers.

Kizer received nine votes. Texas Tech's Pat Mahomes finished a distant No. 2 with two votes, while UNC's Mitch Trubisky and Clemson's Deshaun Watson received one apiece. Two of the executives copped out and said all five -- Cal's Davis Webb being the fifth -- were equally risky. "He’s not as good as he should be because he’s not committed to the game," one AFC executive said of Kizer. "He’s committed to building a brand. He wants all the things that come with being a starting quarterback but doesn’t want to put in the work." An NFC personnel man agreed, saying Kizer is most interested in status and money. "That’s what drives him," said the executive. "It’s all about him. Prima donna. Thin-skinned." Chad Reuter's most recent mock draft has Kizer slipping to Round 3.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel 
Apr 23 - 2:27 PM

No problems at all. Then the last month before draft, there's an all out character assassination.  Don't be gullible and believe this nonsense. 

"Kizer will fall to the second round - Dobbs may go in the late 1st" - ESPN Draft Analyst Todd McShay

Where do they get these idiots? 
The guy posts here?  Cool.  That would be fun. 

Kinda like Dallas with Daq? The idea of "reaching" for a QB shows you don't pay attention to where QBs get drafted every year. Pay more attention 
What? Dak is a great example of why you don't reach for a QB in the first but develop the rest of your team and actually coach the QB. As much as I like his talent, had he gone early to Cleveland or the 49ers, he wouldn't have come close to last year's success. 

The guy posts here?  Cool.  That would be fun. 

What? Dak is a great example of why you don't reach for a QB in the first but develop the rest of your team and actually coach the QB. As much as I like his talent, had he gone early to Cleveland or the 49ers, he wouldn't have come close to last year's success. 
This is an excellent point and one that could help in the evolution of Kizer's skills. I feel he would be better off long term if he went in the second to a team with an established vet he could play behind for a while like Arizona or Pittsburgh. Probably the best thing that can happen to him, and I sort of feel like he's going to slip to the second. 

The Steelers are interested in Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer as a possible heir to Ben Roethlisberger, according to Walter Football.
Charlie Campbell reports that Pittsburgh has been calling around the league attempting to gauge where Kizer might land. Since hearing from a source about Pittsburgh's interest in Kizer a few weeks ago, Campbell has slotted the Fighting Irish signal-caller to Pittsburgh in Round 1 of his mock draft. Pittsburgh has "tried to be discrete" in vetting Kizer, sending only OC Todd Haley to the Notre Dame pro day as opposed to an eye-catching delegation of execs, the GM, or the head coach. We'd be surprised if Kizer goes in Round 1, but Pittsburgh has been rumored to be in the Big Ben-heir market, so take not of their potential interest in Kizer, a prospect of similar stature and arm talent.

Source: Walter Football 
Apr 25 - 3:31 PM

The Steelers are interested in Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer as a possible heir to Ben Roethlisberger, according to Walter Football.
Charlie Campbell reports that Pittsburgh has been calling around the league attempting to gauge where Kizer might land. Since hearing from a source about Pittsburgh's interest in Kizer a few weeks ago, Campbell has slotted the Fighting Irish signal-caller to Pittsburgh in Round 1 of his mock draft. Pittsburgh has "tried to be discrete" in vetting Kizer, sending only OC Todd Haley to the Notre Dame pro day as opposed to an eye-catching delegation of execs, the GM, or the head coach. We'd be surprised if Kizer goes in Round 1, but Pittsburgh has been rumored to be in the Big Ben-heir market, so take not of their potential interest in Kizer, a prospect of similar stature and arm tale
Aka, according to a very unreliable source.  We'll see, but if they take Kizer in this draft I think it's because he falls past the 1st.

USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports the Cardinals have done a "lot of work" on Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer.

Picking at No. 13, the Cards have been strongly connected to Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes. Kizer would be more of a Day 2 option if the Cards strike out on Mahomes or settle on another position. Perhaps they could also trade back into the late first round to land Kizer.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 2:09 PM

The Chicago Tribune's Dan Wiederer writes that he "sees little chance Bears would take DeShone Kizer, even at No. 36."
"Some raise big questions about how he'll invest in the process," Wiederer writes. Nobody denies Kizer's arm talent, but his draft process has been a rocky one due to questions about mindset and attitude. While the Bears might be an unlikely suitor for the star-crossed Notre Dame gunslinger, earlier on Thursday, USA Today's Tom Pelissero reported that the Cardinals had done plenty of due diligence on Kizer. The Cards hold picks No. 13 (first round) and No. 45 (second round). It would be a surprise if Kizer went off the board at No. 13, but No. 45 is certainly in play as a (potentially problematic) heir-apparent to Carson Palmer.

Source: Dan Wiederer on Twitter 
Apr 27 - 5:25 PM

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer is "in play" for the Packers at No. 33 overall.

Holding the top pick of the second round after trading back with the Browns, the Packers are trying to drum up interest in the pick and move back to acquire even more selections. GM Ted Thompson is likely floating the rumor that he is willing to take Kizer in order to get some other QB-needy team to come and take him before they do. In reality, the Packers have far greater holes to fill than taking a project QB like Kizer to sit behind Aaron Rodgers for multiple years.

Related: Packers

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 
Apr 28 - 11:12 AM

Guy will make a lot of know-nothings look foolish one day. 
Can't say I've ever called someone out before, but your berating of anyone critical of Kizer is/was grating. Being that your response to anyone stating he was overrated and/or would slip to the 2nd round was that they were an idiot and clearly didn't watch college football, then the quoted is what I'd call a self self-fulfilling prophecy.  I hope Kizer pans out because the league needs more solid QB's, but the reality is that he's trending to be Geno Jr.  

Good luck with your man crush.

Kizer could slip to the Steelers in the back of round 2.  Or get taken by the Chargers, Saints or Giants. Teams with older QBs who might need a replacement in a couple years.

I truly hope this free fall humbles the guy. He needs to focus on what he can do on the field and not compare himself to Brady and Cam. 

Browns selected Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer with the No. 52 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.
Kizer (6’4/233) turned pro as a junior after making 23 starts for the Irish, going 12-11 and completing just 60.7% of his throws with an 8.4 YPA and 47:19 TD-to-INT ratio. A dangerous scrambler, Kizer added 18 rushing TDs. Although he looks like Daunte Culpepper with a big body, power arm, and supreme poise in the pocket amid chaos, Kizer struggled to keep his job over Malik Zaire in the second half of last season, got benched against Stanford, seemingly lost confidence, and often fails to process information quickly on tape. Kizer’s touch and ball placement are additional concerns. While Kizer checks some boxes as a potential franchise quarterback, he's a major project.

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values

Excerpt:

Cleveland Browns: DeShone Kizer, QB – The Browns get their quarterback, and while I would have waited until next year for Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold, we have to break down the situation at hand. Kizer has the dual-threat ability to provide Fantasy Football value with the size and body for the NFL. Kizer is good on the move and outside the pocket, keeping his eyes downfield and is among the best at hitting the small windows. However, Kizer makes plenty of poor decisions, is slow in progressions and finding open receivers with too many risky throws. Kizer has the skills, especially for Fantasy, but he needs refinement. If he’s starting Week 1, Kizer is a mid-level QB2 with the rushing numbers. Kenny Britt would be a WR3 with Kizer (was WR24 with Goff!) and Corey Coleman a WR4/5. Smart money is on Kizer not starting until 2018 though, and with Cody Kessler, the values of Britt, etc. don’t change much.

He has to.

As opposed to the ridiculous ruse in Chicago where they claim Glennon is 'the guy' - sure.

So they are paying $45M over 3 years including $18.5M guaranteed for Glennon to hold a clipboard?  Seems like CHI is playing this pretty smartly in that they hedged their bets on both Glennon and Trubisky.  I know some of the pundits hated the move up but I see some very legit upside.

Let them go head to head, with the obvious hopes that Trubisky is so good that in a year or 2 he locks up the job for the next decade +.  The ideal scenario for CHI is that both guys play well and they can recover draft equity by trading one of them in 2 years (ideally Glennon), but at least they've got 2 guys in a real race for the franchise spot.  Glennon will get a shot to prove himself - Trubisky needs some seasoning and it benefits CHI greatly if Glennon were to play well as a starter.

Browns EVP Sashi Brown said the team will not rush second-round QB DeShone Kizer.

"Ideally we'd be able to come in and give DeShone some time," Brown said. "We like Cody (Kessler), we like Brock (Osweiler), we like Kevin (Hogan) and he doesn't need to feel that pressure." Coach Hue Jackson has promised to give all the quarterbacks an "opportunity to compete," and despite these comments, Sashi and the rest of the organizations would certainly be thrilled if Kizer won that competition. That said, it is clear the Browns are willing to take their time with the rookie, and that is good news for a quarterback with some rough edges to sand down. It will not be a surprise if Kessler opens the season as the starter.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
May 2 - 10:59 AM

"Ideally we'd be able to come in and give DeShone some time," Brown said. "We like Cody (Kessler), we like Brock (Osweiler), we like Kevin (Hogan) and he doesn't need to feel that pressure."
Translation. "Please, for the love of all things holy, please DeShone, come into camp and win the job outright, because I don't want to trot out these chumps every week while trying to be patient with you because these three should be roofers not NFL Quarterbacks. Or, you know. No pressure."

Well, I guess it should be expected that a QB who is a hybrid combo of Brady and Newton would have to wait his turn behind the juggernaut that is Cody Kessler.
Oh, I would love to see them on Hard Knox. His nickname has to be Brady or Cam all preseason. "Hey, Brady! How did you miss that guy down the seam?" Or, "Hey, Cam, how come every time you tuck the ball and run, you're tackled 1 yard later."

Browns coach Hue Jackson expects DeShone Kizer to draw Ben Roethlisberger comparisons.
"I don't know that I've coached a guy with this kind of skill-set," Jackson said Thursday. "But he's a big powerful man, so I know he's going to get compared to another guy on another team in our division." Jackson went on to praise Kizer's arm strength, mobility and intelligence. Kizer is a project, but the Browns' quarterback situation is such that he will almost certainly make rookie starts.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
May 4 - 8:37 PM

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora "wouldn't be surprised" if DeShone Kizer is the Browns' Week 1 starter.

Kizer has been drawing raves from coach Hue Jackson at rookie camp. The Browns have no plans to rush him, but it's not impossible he wins out in an open competition with Cody Kessler and Brock Osweiler. Even if Kizer doesn't win the Week 1 job, he'll almost certainly make rookie year starts.

Source: CBSSports.com 
May 12 - 5:44 PM

Just got him at 2.11 in a super flex league and felt like I had to take him. After reading this thread I really have no idea what I have, everyone is way up on him or way down.

Just got him at 2.11 in a super flex league and felt like I had to take him. After reading this thread I really have no idea what I have, everyone is way up on him or way down.
You have culpepper, but instead of Carter and moss you have Coleman and Britt. That may be culpepper with the lions. He has supreme confidence, I suppose to be great you have to believe you are great. True competition here imo, they could start the season with any of those guys under center. 

Hue doesn't know what he has here.  Noone does. 

You have culpepper, but instead of Carter and moss you have Coleman and Britt. That may be culpepper with the lions. He has supreme confidence, I suppose to be great you have to believe you are great. True competition here imo, they could start the season with any of those guys under center. 
I slightly disagree on the confidence angle. He has confidence that all of the raw pieces are there to be great, but that confidence doesn't translate to the field as much as it needs to to be a success in the NFL. 

The whole Brady/Cam thing has taken a life of his own. I read it as he recognizes his Lego set of raw material is 1000 pieces where others may only have sets of 500. The difference between he/Brady/Cam is that the latter two have put all of those pieces together. Other QBs in this class already may have 400 pieces already together and he only has 300, but he's only stopping himself from being great because his ceiling is higher. 

Given their QB situation, I think Cleveland starts him too early and he's a decent QB for a few years. It's up to him to get great, but as someone who watched all of his college games, I'm betting 90/10 that he's a middle grade starter, decently good but not great. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/_/id/3473/desmond-bryant-now-enjoying-role-of-elder-statesman-on-browns-defensive-line

June 7, 2017

Tony GrossiESPN Cleveland

5. Quarterback update: Jackson indicated he may alter the rotation of the quarterbacks at minicamp. If he follows through on that, it wouldn’t be a surprise if rookie DeShone Kizer moved ahead of Brock Osweiler and into the two spot behind Cody Kessler. Kizer was the only quarterback to move the offense in two-minute drills on Tuesday, though he did it against the third-team defense. But one tip-off that Kizer could be moving up comes from a comment Jackson made when asked what he is looking for when judging his quarterbacks. “Accuracy and consistency, running our offense and not turning the ball over,” Jackson said. “In order to play for us, we cannot turn the ball over. That is one thing that I have stressed, we turned it over way too much. Now, everybody is involved in that, that is not just them. That is an offensive unit issue. We have to solve that, and I think that is something that we are working on.” Osweiler’s main two problems in Houston last year were accuracy and turnovers.

Users who are viewing this thread