What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: QB DeShone Kizer, Titans (2 Viewers)

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora writes that Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer "might just slip out of the [first] round entirely with execs not sold on his attitude and maturity."

This is not the first time that we have heard Kizer's mindset questioned, as one scout said earlier this spring that the quarterbacks issues are "all between the ears." Based on what he has heard from around the NFL, La Canfora believes that UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky is the front-runner to be the first quarterback off the board later this month, with Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Texas Tech's Pat Mahomes fighting it out for second billing.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 11 - 6:41 PM

Attitude and maturity?! :lmao: Laconfora is the least reliable person for inside information there is.  That doesn't even make any sense. 

It was pretty funny to hear the guys on NFL Network discuss Kelly's comments.  They were going back and forth until Daniel Jeremiah was finally like, it's crazy how Kizer got worse in college.  Then they moved on.  It's never good when you move backwards when you're supposed to be getting the best tutelage of your career.  He could be a player that flourishes if he's given a year or 2 behind a solid starter, like Big Ben, or Cousins.
Right now I'm staying away from Kizer but if he gets a good coach he could be a franchise guy.  Pitt would be a dream scenario for him. 

NFL Network's Mike Mayock dropped Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer from the No. 1 QB to the No. 4 QB.
That's quite a drop down for Kizer in less than a month. Mayock has been on the pro day circuit, talking with NFL coaches on a consistent basis. It would be naive to think that does not influence these rankings. In fact, Mayock said Kizer is a year or two away from starting. Deshaun Watson now sits at No. 1, Mitchell Trubisky at No. 2 and Patrick Mahomes at No. 3.

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 12 - 9:38 AM

Right now I'm staying away from Kizer but if he gets a good coach he could be a franchise guy.  Pitt would be a dream scenario for him. 
Staying away but he could be a franchise guy? Those don't go together. 
Follow the "if...then" logic. 

1. I'm not expecting a coach/staff I respect to draft him.  

2. I believe a very good staff can make players better than they would be without very good coaching. 

3. If I'm wrong about #1, I'll reconsider my stance on Kizer. 

4. Number 2 trumps all. 

Honestly the teams that could draft him and make me change my opinion aren't many.  But the Steelers, Chiefs, Patriots, and 49ers (possibly others) could. 

He's not the only one making this claim.  You are aware of that, correct?
That's interesting.  His so-called "sources" are bad then.  He's been wrong so much in the past. It isn't even funny.  I'm guessing you don't follow him much.  He's almost always wrong. 

Smh.  Mayock has had Kizer the first QB all season. Now two weeks out, he drops him to 4?! Smh. Were there some games played I didn't know about? Did he tear his acl in the past 2 weeks?  Wake up, folks.  These guys are full of it.

Follow the "if...then" logic. 

1. I'm not expecting a coach/staff I respect to draft him.  

2. I believe a very good staff can make players better than they would be without very good coaching. 

3. If I'm wrong about #1, I'll reconsider my stance on Kizer. 

4. Number 2 trumps all. 

Honestly the teams that could draft him and make me change my opinion aren't many.  But the Steelers, Chiefs, Patriots, and 49ers (possibly others) could. 
I get what you're saying.  You very well could be correct on that point.  Poor coaching killed him at Notre Dame. 

I get what you're saying.  You very well could be correct on that point.  Poor coaching killed him at Notre Dame. 
That's the only saving grace.  If his coach had been competent and he still sucked, he'd be done imo.  Of course he might not have sucked with a guy like Harbaugh coaching. 

That's the only saving grace.  If his coach had been competent and he still sucked, he'd be done imo.  Of course he might not have sucked with a guy like Harbaugh coaching. 
As was stated by someone in this thread, every qb under Kelly hasn't gotten worse in his second year. Also, look at how many players on their offense that will get drafted this year.  Practically none.  So bad players around you and poor coaching leads to failure most of the time. 

That's interesting.  His so-called "sources" are bad then.  He's been wrong so much in the past. It isn't even funny.  I'm guessing you don't follow him much.  He's almost always wrong. 

Guess we'll see in 2 weeks which is more wrong - you or Laconfora et al.

As was stated by someone in this thread, every qb under Kelly hasn't gotten worse in his second year. Also, look at how many players on their offense that will get drafted this year.  Practically none.  So bad players around you and poor coaching leads to failure most of the time. 
Understood.  But I'm still really skeptical about Kizer. 

Being very nit-picky, it wasn't even year two, it's all years. Kizer clearly needed more starts and more time whether it was college or the NFL, but getting away from Kelly is the first thing he HAD to do to improve. He does still need time to unwind the stuff that caused him to regress and get back to where he should be, so he does ideally sit but may not be afforded that opportunity.

I'm a Texans fan and he may very well fall into our lap. As a fan, I'm excited about his potential as he's got the tools, but we'd be understanding it will take him 2-3 years to get back to where we hope he's really showing what he has and also betting on those years towards O'Brien being able to course correct him to take advantage of the raw talent.

Being very nit-picky, it wasn't even year two, it's all years. Kizer clearly needed more starts and more time whether it was college or the NFL, but getting away from Kelly is the first thing he HAD to do to improve. He does still need time to unwind the stuff that caused him to regress and get back to where he should be, so he does ideally sit but may not be afforded that opportunity.

I'm a Texans fan and he may very well fall into our lap. As a fan, I'm excited about his potential as he's got the tools, but we'd be understanding it will take him 2-3 years to get back to where we hope he's really showing what he has and also betting on those years towards O'Brien being able to course correct him to take advantage of the raw talent.
Exactly! 

Guess we'll see in 2 weeks which is more wrong - you or Laconfora et al.
Perfect example but on Watson. 

Michael Lombardi : Deshaun Watson is impressing every team with his knowledge of the offense his understanding of coverages and personnel and leadership skills

Todd McShay: No QBs going in the first round. 

Ton of smoke coming out right now. The NFL teams use these reporters. 

Albert Breer spoke to one AFC head coach who believes Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer has "diva qualities."

"He seems to get voices in his head, like he’s fighting who he is," Breer quotes the AFC head coach. "And once the cycle starts, he can’t get himself right." However, the reporter spoke to an NFC scout who blamed the situation at Notre Dame more than Kizer, saying "it made him look bad. He’s not an Alpha as a leader, but his teammates like him." Our own Josh Norris ranks Kizer as the top quarterback in this class, but there's a strong chance Kizer is the fourth, fifth or even sixth quarterback off the board. Be sure to read Breer's full story.

Source: The MMQB 
Apr 13 - 11:42 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Things have now officially gotten to the stupid stage. 

I would guess this came from the Texans or Chiefs.

Things have now officially gotten to the stupid stage. 

I would guess this came from the Texans or Chiefs.
Entirely possible, but I hope it wouldn't be the Texans. I have a sense that Kizer and/or Mahomes are their only possible options in the first round unless they move up. The main reason I say it's possible is Smith/O'Brien's unwillingness to draft a QB high to this point and sounds like a scout/GM/coach talking themselves out of it and into a "safer" pick when the Texans clearly need a QB eventually.

flapgreen said:
Perfect example but on Watson. 

Michael Lombardi : Deshaun Watson is impressing every team with his knowledge of the offense his understanding of coverages and personnel and leadership skills

Todd McShay: No QBs going in the first round. 

Ton of smoke coming out right now. The NFL teams use these reporters. 
No QB's in the first round? So this is now a Linebacker league? Tim Tebow went in the first round. There will be a QB taken in the first round.

flapgreen said:
5th or 6th qb taken?! Haaaahaaa :lmao:

It's unlikely but possible.  Mahomes and Webb are starting to get some real love - mistaken IMO, especially with Webb but there it is - and you just can't completely blame ND's precipitous drop and Kizers's lesser performance on everthing and everyone but Kizer.  Well, you can I guess but most others don't.

It only takes one team to make it happen for Kizer, but other QBs a lot more capable have fallen on draft day.  Remember Rodgers and the painful day he had on draft day as team after team passed on him?  And Kizer is no Rodgers.

The Sporting News' Eric Galko writes that he "firmly expects" Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer to slip on draft day.
"Mental makeup and lackluster reviews from Notre Dame personnel, along with lackluster fourth quarter play, are key reasons why he could slip to the late second round," Galko explains. The Bears are one team which has spent extensive time with Kizer during the process, having already met with him three times. Most recently, he worked out for them during their local prospect day last week. Should Kizer slide to the second round, as Galko expects, Chicago (holding the 36th pick) is one team that could conceivably halt his drop.

Source: Sporting News 
Apr 17 - 3:49 PM

It's unlikely but possible.  Mahomes and Webb are starting to get some real love - mistaken IMO, especially with Webb but there it is - and you just can't completely blame ND's precipitous drop and Kizers's lesser performance on everthing and everyone but Kizer.  Well, you can I guess but most others don't.

It only takes one team to make it happen for Kizer, but other QBs a lot more capable have fallen on draft day.  Remember Rodgers and the painful day he had on draft day as team after team passed on him?  And Kizer is no Rodgers.
Rodgers was no Rodgers then either. Kizer has the highest upside of anyone in this draft. 

All I know is that any of these QB's who get drafted in the first round next week and they have to play majority of the team's snaps, then that team will be in line to draft a franchise type of QB in 2018.

None of these QB's have a first round grades but teams (GM's) are willing to put their careers on life support that mmmmmmmaybe this one or two or three can turn into one.  I really hope teams like San Fran and Cleveland and Jets do NOT reach for these QB's early in round 1

All I know is that any of these QB's who get drafted in the first round next week and they have to play majority of the team's snaps, then that team will be in line to draft a franchise type of QB in 2018.

None of these QB's have a first round grades but teams (GM's) are willing to put their careers on life support that mmmmmmmaybe this one or two or three can turn into one.  I really hope teams like San Fran and Cleveland and Jets do NOT reach for these QB's early in round 1
Kinda like Dallas with Daq? The idea of "reaching" for a QB shows you don't pay attention to where QBs get drafted every year. Pay more attention 

Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer believes that he has the ability to become the greatest quarterback of all time.

Explain yourself, Mr. Kizer. Said the Day 1 hopeful, "No one else can do what I can do. And I've truly figured out in this process, if I can maximize all my potential in every aspect of the game -- this is bold -- I do have the ability to be the greatest quarterback to ever play." The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder then doubled-down on his self-hyperbole by saying, "Imagine taking Brady's intellect and Brady's preparation and putting it on a guy with Cam Newton's body." Kizer has been thrashed about in some corners during the draft process, but if nothing else, it would appear that his confidence has not waned. But about that thrashing -- Sporting News' analyst Eric Galko hears that concerns about Kizer's mental makeup (among other factors) could cause him to slide into late second-round territory.

Source: USA Today 
Apr 20 - 5:41 PM

Kinda like Dallas with Daq? The idea of "reaching" for a QB shows you don't pay attention to where QBs get drafted every year. Pay more attention 
No idea what you are referring to.  Dallas didn't reach for Daq.  They tried a number of times to go after other QB's earlier in the draft.  Daq was their consolation prize and with the real ROY in Elliott and with that #1 offensive line, Cowboys did surprisingly well.

Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer believes that he has the ability to become the greatest quarterback of all time.

Explain yourself, Mr. Kizer. Said the Day 1 hopeful, "No one else can do what I can do. And I've truly figured out in this process, if I can maximize all my potential in every aspect of the game -- this is bold -- I do have the ability to be the greatest quarterback to ever play." The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder then doubled-down on his self-hyperbole by saying, "Imagine taking Brady's intellect and Brady's preparation and putting it on a guy with Cam Newton's body." Kizer has been thrashed about in some corners during the draft process, but if nothing else, it would appear that his confidence has not waned. But about that thrashing -- Sporting News' analyst Eric Galko hears that concerns about Kizer's mental makeup (among other factors) could cause him to slide into late second-round territory.

Wow.  There's no sign of attitude issues and self delusion there.  Strong self awareness.  I have no idea why his college coach had problems with the greatest QB who ever lived.

This shows Mayock doesn't base his rankings on film he's watched on players and his own evaluations, but on things he hears around the league. Completely discredits his so-called "expert opinion."  I trust guys who do the actual work and stick to their evaluations. Mayock has gotten away from that recently and just become another stooge like Kiper and McShay. 

No QB's in the first round? So this is now a Linebacker league? Tim Tebow went in the first round. There will be a QB taken in the first round.
I don't subscribe to those idiots but I think their newest mock draft doesn't have any qbs going in the first either, or at least not until very late.  Marking this to look back at how foolish the two of them will look. Oh and Kiper hasn't freaking Ruben Foster going to the Titans at 5. So I guess it really is a Linebacker league! 

Wow.  There's no sign of attitude issues and self delusion there.  Strong self awareness.  I have no idea why his college coach had problems with the greatest QB who ever lived.
:lmao: You are the delusional one. Just a few days ago people were knocking him because of confidence issues.  Now, it's because he's "too" confident.  Your dislike of him has clouded your judgement and made you reach for things that aren't there. One page back, he responded to Kelly's ####ty comments and said Kelly's critique was legitimate and he did still have a lot of work to do. Which one do you believe?

:lamo: You are the delusional one. Just a few days ago people were knocking him because of confidence issues.  Now, it's because he's "too" confident.  Your dislike of him has clouded your judgement and made you reach for things that aren't there. One page back, he responded to Kelly's ####ty comments and said Kelly's critique was legitimate and he did still have a lot of work to do. Which one do you believe?

Just leave it alone.  I disagree with your position, but if there is a jaded opinion in this thread you don't need to go any further than a mirror to find it.  Stop making excuses for him.  This kid has some very real flaws, and some of them are between the ears.  Or keep pretending he's the perfect QB.  Fine.  But find another target for your stalking.

Users who are viewing this thread