What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duron Carter cut by the Colts ----lets see what the other 31 do (1 Viewer)

Let's cut to the chase, what is behind the DC love? Is it the Cris Carter pedigree or does it go beyond that? How many other guys are hyped that can't get through college and come to the NFL via Canada?
duron has been producing every step of the way, despite his mental failings. was the best receiver as a freshman on his osu team (to my eyeball test), has the frame, and was very productive in Canada. The tape is pretty good, he's got Andrew Luck at qb, Players do come through canada quite often. Two years without an incident doesn't make a track record, but lots of these kids don't want to play college ball and wind up taking a longer road. In a dynasty sense, I like Carter because you can use one of the last roster spots on him, and you should know what you have on your hands by the end of the year.
He hasn't even beat out the other WRs in Indy.Pass.
He is in his first ever training camp, Dorsett hasn't beaten anyone out either, guess he is worthless too.If you are in redrafts he is worthless, but dynasty wise he is a hold if you can afford the roster space, injuries happen, A. Johnson will be gone in a year or 2. Being a top 3 receiver for Luck will be worth something.
Top 3? Let's not get carried away.
Is it really crazy to stash him away in Dynasty in hopes that he could be a top 3 WR for the Colts in a couple of years? It is a bottom of a deep roster move, I don't see why that is so crazy.

People actually still buying the Duron Carter story? SMH.
In dynasty, why not?
With Hilton, Dorsett and Moncrief ahead of him, he represents a dead roster spot for 2015 and his situation may remain unchanged in 2016 - I doubt I want to make a long term investment based on what I have seen to date (which IMO is inconclusive).
...and Andre Johnson. He's at best the 5th WR, and might not even make the roster.

He's as useless as other 5th receivers.
What a ridiculous thing to say.
Not that ridiculous... He is a 5th receiver and there have been numerous other physically gifted, mentally challenged WRs who have dropped out of the NFL.

This is eerily similar to the Lache Seastrunk thread where people were salivating over the Dallas line and the opportunity in that offense. Here all the positives are about Andrew Luck and the opportunities in the Colt's offense. I'd be more optimistic if the talk was about Duron.

Apparently some of you are completely unaware of the concept of a long-term dynasty stash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently some of you are completely unaware of the concept of a long-term dynasty stash.
Why act like this?
Act like what? I'm reading comments that make it sound like he's unrosterable. That's weird to me. He's a huge flirt with high upside. I don't care that he's the 5th (or even practice squad) this year. He could be the 3/4 next year then following year starter. Or he could be cut in 2 weeks. Either way he's worth holding now. Sometimes I honestly think there are posters who don't play deep dynasty formats and don't really get why Durin Carter would intrigue someone who does.

eoMMan said:
mr roboto said:
Why act like this?
You give me a "he hasn't even beat out the other WRs in indy, pass," then question the manner in which someone else argues. That's about what I expect.

eoMMan said:
mr roboto said:
Why act like this?
You give me a "he hasn't even beat out the other WRs in indy, pass," then question the manner in which someone else argues. That's about what I expect.
And who are you? When did you join this conversation? What are you thoughts on Carter? How many DEEEEEEEEEEP dynasty leagues do you have him in?

mr roboto said:
eoMMan said:
mr roboto said:
Why act like this?
Act like what? I'm reading comments that make it sound like he's unrosterable. That's weird to me. He's a huge flirt with high upside. I don't care that he's the 5th (or even practice squad) this year. He could be the 3/4 next year then following year starter. Or he could be cut in 2 weeks. Either way he's worth holding now.Sometimes I honestly think there are posters who don't play deep dynasty formats and don't really get why Durin Carter would intrigue someone who does.
Maybe it was late and I was reading into to it wrong, but you come across pompous and douchey with your comment.

eoMMan said:
mr roboto said:
Why act like this?
And who are you? When did you join this conversation? What are you thoughts on Carter? How many DEEEEEEEEEEP dynasty leagues do you have him in?
You follow this up with a comment taht someone is being pompous? Tone it down... No need for that.

I think the point is, when you're talking about these dynasty stashes, it's almost silly to completely blow them off when the guy is in his first NFL camp.

Maybe he hits, maybe he washes out. Nobody is holding him for a 2015 payoff, that's for sure. But is he worth the 25th (etc.) roster spot that otherwise gets occupied by the likes of Rod Streater and Marlon Brown? Yes, he is.

Let's cut to the chase, what is behind the DC love? Is it the Cris Carter pedigree or does it go beyond that? How many other guys are hyped that can't get through college and come to the NFL via Canada?
duron has been producing every step of the way, despite his mental failings. was the best receiver as a freshman on his osu team (to my eyeball test), has the frame, and was very productive in Canada. The tape is pretty good, he's got Andrew Luck at qb, Players do come through canada quite often. Two years without an incident doesn't make a track record, but lots of these kids don't want to play college ball and wind up taking a longer road. In a dynasty sense, I like Carter because you can use one of the last roster spots on him, and you should know what you have on your hands by the end of the year.
He is in his first ever training camp, Dorsett hasn't beaten anyone out either, guess he is worthless too.If you are in redrafts he is worthless, but dynasty wise he is a hold if you can afford the roster space, injuries happen, A. Johnson will be gone in a year or 2. Being a top 3 receiver for Luck will be worth something.
You think it is getting carried away that he could be one of the top 3 receivers for the Colts?

You think it is getting carried away that he could be one of the top 3 receivers for the Colts?
I find it reasonable, just to add my .02 cents. I'm not a fan of Moncrief, and Andre is pretty old so who says 2016 won't be his year? Sure he still has to beat out Dorsett, and I kind of doubt Hilton will take a backseat to almost anyone on that roster other than Luck so in a way Carter COULD be the #2 next year if he makes some progress. It's a long shot, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Maybe not "reasonable" but certainly "within the realm of conception". A lot has to go right - no stumbles for Carter, lack of progress for Moncrief, a steep decline by AJ, etc. - but stranger things have happened. And injuries can change things quickly as well. Deep dynasty stashes are for just this reason - maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. I'm certainly more inclined to hold Carter than a stiff like Brian Hartline.

eoMMan said:
mr roboto said:
Why act like this?
You quoted my post in the conversation where I stated all the reasons I like Carter. Instead of address them, you said bzzzt fart pass. I joined this conversation pages ago, when y'all got your underwear up your crack after I took Carter in the 13th round of a DLF mock a few months ago. But generally i just want to improve the discourse.

Ouch...

Doyel: Practice phenom Duron Carter, where did you go?

The Colts appear to be losing interest. Not long ago Colts coaches — low-key coaches, guys who wouldn’t say, “Wow, it’s really hot,” if they were standing on the sun — were saying of Carter: “Wow, he’s really good.”

At Anderson, vanilla-speaking offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton broke out the sprinkles and fancy flavors when he said: “Every day (Carter) makes a play that makes you say, ‘Wow.’ ”

Head coach Chuck Pagano? When he gets good and fired up, he might say something vanilla. But this is what he said at camp:

“Very good problem to have,” he said. “Duron Carter was plucking balls off (defensive backs’) heads like they were peanuts.”

The “problem” Pagano was referencing: Competition at third receiver behind T.Y. Hilton and Andre Johnson. That’s where Carter, practice phenom, was in Anderson: Competing with first-round pick Phillip Dorsett and promising 2014 rookie Donte Moncrief for major playing time.

Where Carter, game invisible man, is now: Competing with Griff Whalen, Ryan Lankford, Quan Bray and Vincent Brown to be the Colts’ fifth receiver on a roster that historically carries just five.

Because it’s like I wrote earlier: The Colts are losing interest. Carter returned several early kickoffs Saturday, looking better than in his one return against the Eagles, when he didn’t muster enough enthusiasm to look “tentative.” The word tentative implies indecision, and on his kickoff return against the Eagles, Carter made his decision early: I don’t want to get hit.

Other than returns, Carter didn’t see the field at receiver Saturday until late in the third quarter. On that route, against reserve Bears cornerback Alan Ball, Carter couldn’t get open and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck was sacked and lost a fumble.

Carter played much of the fourth quarter with third-team quarterback Bryan Bennett, who has almost no chance to make the 53-man roster, alongside receiving targets with almost no chance to make the roster (Lankford, Swoope, Ezell Ruffin).

You are the company you keep, you know? And the most exercise Carter got on Saturday was the stationary bike on the sideline, riding it to stay loose.
Could see the Colts try to sneak him to the practice squad and a team like Carolina grab him in a heartbeat. Carolina was very interested in Carter and made an offer before he ultimately signed with the Colts... and after the Benjamin injury, I'm sure they'd love to have him.

Ouch...

Doyel: Practice phenom Duron Carter, where did you go?

The Colts appear to be losing interest. Not long ago Colts coaches — low-key coaches, guys who wouldn’t say, “Wow, it’s really hot,” if they were standing on the sun — were saying of Carter: “Wow, he’s really good.”

At Anderson, vanilla-speaking offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton broke out the sprinkles and fancy flavors when he said: “Every day (Carter) makes a play that makes you say, ‘Wow.’ ”

Head coach Chuck Pagano? When he gets good and fired up, he might say something vanilla. But this is what he said at camp:

“Very good problem to have,” he said. “Duron Carter was plucking balls off (defensive backs’) heads like they were peanuts.”

The “problem” Pagano was referencing: Competition at third receiver behind T.Y. Hilton and Andre Johnson. That’s where Carter, practice phenom, was in Anderson: Competing with first-round pick Phillip Dorsett and promising 2014 rookie Donte Moncrief for major playing time.

Where Carter, game invisible man, is now: Competing with Griff Whalen, Ryan Lankford, Quan Bray and Vincent Brown to be the Colts’ fifth receiver on a roster that historically carries just five.

Because it’s like I wrote earlier: The Colts are losing interest. Carter returned several early kickoffs Saturday, looking better than in his one return against the Eagles, when he didn’t muster enough enthusiasm to look “tentative.” The word tentative implies indecision, and on his kickoff return against the Eagles, Carter made his decision early: I don’t want to get hit.

Other than returns, Carter didn’t see the field at receiver Saturday until late in the third quarter. On that route, against reserve Bears cornerback Alan Ball, Carter couldn’t get open and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck was sacked and lost a fumble.

Carter played much of the fourth quarter with third-team quarterback Bryan Bennett, who has almost no chance to make the 53-man roster, alongside receiving targets with almost no chance to make the roster (Lankford, Swoope, Ezell Ruffin).

You are the company you keep, you know? And the most exercise Carter got on Saturday was the stationary bike on the sideline, riding it to stay loose.
Could see the Colts try to sneak him to the practice squad and a team like Carolina grab him in a heartbeat. Carolina was very interested in Carter and made an offer before he ultimately signed with the Colts... and after the Benjamin injury, I'm sure they'd love to have him.
Charles Johnson situation all over again maybe? I think it's more of an indication that they had seen enough from guys like Moncrief and Dorsett to know that, at this moment before the season, he is behind those guys. It's still his first NFL season and although he has been a pro in the CFL, it's going to take some time.

He hasn't even beat out the other WRs in Indy.

Pass.
He is in his first ever training camp, Dorsett hasn't beaten anyone out either, guess he is worthless too.

If you are in redrafts he is worthless, but dynasty wise he is a hold if you can afford the roster space, injuries happen, A. Johnson will be gone in a year or 2. Being a top 3 receiver for Luck will be worth something.
Regarding the bold part, he's been playing professionally in Canada so he should have entered camp way more prepared than Dorsett.

Picked him up in the 3rd rd of my dynasty rookie draft today. 3.08 out of 12 teams. No one else had interest. It was bw him or guys like Chris Connelly and Kenny bell. Carter's upside as a legit WR1 and potential top 10 dynasty wr seemed well worth the risk to me.

I actually hope the colts out him on their practice squad and a wr hungry team signs him. But if not I'm willing to hold him this season and next to see what gives

He has a lot of upside but looks timid from what I have observed. Rather have Moncrief at this point. I am a buyer at current prices.

VandyMan said:

Pass.
Regarding the bold part, he's been playing professionally in Canada so he should have entered camp way more prepared than Dorsett.
Not even a little bit, the game in Canada is so much different than the NFL. Just because they are paid and college athletes aren't doesn't mean a thing. It is inferior competition compared to going to the NFL, just like college.

VandyMan said:

Pass.
Not even a little bit, the game in Canada is so much different than the NFL. Just because they are paid and college athletes aren't doesn't mean a thing. It is inferior competition compared to going to the NFL, just like college.
Excuse after excuse. Pass.

i don't see much Alabama mention here. Saban laid out everything for him but tying his shoes...he still couldn't get thru a summer. And I'm supposed to believe he can make it in the NFL?

9 page thread about some 5th string chump, unreal. Guess it's good to have a HOF daddy to get you attention. That's the only reason anyone is talking about this guy.

He lit it up last night. 5-85 and looked good doing it. Great open field running. Thoughts? I actually hoping he gets cut and signed by a team like Carolina. He's buried on the colts depth chart.

He lit it up last night. 5-85 and looked good doing it. Great open field running. Thoughts? I actually hoping he gets cut and signed by a team like Carolina. He's buried on the colts depth chart.
No reason for the Browns to look at a guy like this. They are set with Bowe and Hartline and some smurfs.

No reason for the Browns to look at a guy like this. They are set with Bowe and Hartline and some smurfs.
:lol: Exactly, Browns Front Office is wayyyyyy ahead of the curve.

Getting cut by the Colts was a good thing for Carter. He wasn't going to move up that depth chart

Getting cut by the Colts was a good thing for Carter. He wasn't going to move up that depth chart
Agreed hoping he gets picked up by a team with a easier path to playing time if not he will land on the colts practice squad.

Agreed hoping he gets picked up by a team with a easier path to playing time if not he will land on the colts practice squad.
He's got to be better than Dwayne Bowe who has zero upside and really isn't any good to begin with.

Picked him up in the 3rd rd of my dynasty rookie draft today. 3.08 out of 12 teams. No one else had interest. It was bw him or guys like Chris Connelly and Kenny bell. Carter's upside as a legit WR1 and potential top 10 dynasty wr seemed well worth the risk to me.

I actually hope the colts out him on their practice squad and a wr hungry team signs him. But if not I'm willing to hold him this season and next to see what gives
Should've taken Conley.

Should've taken Conley.
I got Conley in the ensuing auction draft for $1. So now I've got Conley and carter. And I'm quite happy that carter was released. I can't imagine a scenario where another team like Carolina or Cleveland don't take a chance on him right away.

He's got to be better than Dwayne Bowe who has zero upside and really isn't any good to begin with.
Who knows--Browns had Charles Johnson right under their noses and didn't realize it. At least the Packers were trying to sneak him onto the PS (I believe) and were already stacked at the position.

Too funny. Wasn't everyone just saying how great it was that he was on such a fantastic passing team like the Colts and with a QB as great as Luck? But now it's bad cause he's simply not good enough to crack the roster?

Move on, people.

Too funny. Wasn't everyone just saying how great it was that he was on such a fantastic passing team like the Colts and with a QB as great as Luck? But now it's bad cause he's simply not good enough to crack the roster?

Move on, people.
You don't understand? Where are you lost?

He ended up being buried behind a bunch of really good depth in Indy = bad to stay there =/= he is bad

He could now end up some place where he could possibly make a play to move up the depth chart into a WR4 and possibly WR3 with injury = better potential for his value =/= better landing space for a huge upside potential

Make sense?

At this point you were not seeing the Colts move him up their list and give him more opportunity so its best that he does move on and possibly catch on with someone who will give him a legitimate chance to be on the field. Also just because the Colts cut him doesn't mean they don't think he is a good player with a potential bright future that would be more telling if they don't extend a practice squad position to him.

Too funny. Wasn't everyone just saying how great it was that he was on such a fantastic passing team like the Colts and with a QB as great as Luck? But now it's bad cause he's simply not good enough to crack the roster?Move on, people.
You don't understand? Where are you lost?He ended up being buried behind a bunch of really good depth in Indy = bad to stay there =/= he is bad

He could now end up some place where he could possibly make a play to move up the depth chart into a WR4 and possibly WR3 with injury = better potential for his value =/= better landing space for a huge upside potential

Make sense?

At this point you were not seeing the Colts move him up their list and give him more opportunity so its best that he does move on and possibly catch on with someone who will give him a legitimate chance to be on the field. Also just because the Colts cut him doesn't mean they don't think he is a good player with a potential bright future that would be more telling if they don't extend a practice squad position to him.
Or he could just not be that good?

Not fluid, not fast, great measurables. Not good enough to make the Colts roster. Good enough to be #2 at least on the Browns.

If you still are harboring hope for this guy, you're not thinking things through.

The hype was born out of an interesting back story, really. Ability? Yeah, sure. A bunch of WRs with ability just got cut. And a bunch of WRs with no "upside" just made rosters, including Griff Whalen and Vincent Brown. He couldn't beat out Vincent Brown. He's a year out of college, and couldn't beat out Vincent Brown. The depth of the Colts WR core isn't a problem for Duron Carter. it's a problem for Griff Whalen! Because of the talent in front of him, Griff won't get many targets, or fantasy opportunity. The problem for Duron Carter is that Griff Whalen and Vincent Brown are keeping him off the team.

Was Indy the easiest rotation to crack? No. Could he have made the Panthers or Browns? Maybe. But how can anyone claim a guy has any upside when the thinking has to be, "Man, I hope he goes to the worst group of WRs in the league, so he can maybe get a job..."

It's really dangerous to not step back and re-evaluate these guys. Carter may not have cost you a lot, but he's costing you a roster spot every day. Every team has a young guy that made the team, kind of out of nowhere, and you could have one of those guys on your team.

He needs to be treated like any other UDFA flyer you took, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. You give him a chance to flash, and if he doesn't, you look around for the next sleeper.

Users who are viewing this thread