What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (1 Viewer)

Then why did TB let him go?
They got sick of the turnovers I assume is probably one reason. There were some ifs in my statement, like him showing well in practice and games if given the chance. If he shows well in practice and games I'd assume the turnovers would be limited. Then maybe he'd have a shot at getting resigned to be the starter.

Then why did TB let him go?
You see no chance that Sean Payton can elevate his performance? I certainly think he can.

ETA:

Brees before Payton:

• 5 seasons, 59 G, 58 GS, 30-28-0 record
  • 1125 completions/1809 attempts (62.2%)
  • 12348 passing yards (6.8 YPA, 209.3 YPG)
  • 594 passing first downs
  • 80 TDs (4.4%), 53 interceptions (2.9%)
  • 84.9 passer rating
Winston before Payton:

• 5 seasons, 72 G, 70 GS, 28-42-0 record
  • 1563 completions/2548 attempts (61.3%)
  • 19737 passing yards (7.7 YPA, 274.1 YPG)
  • 997 passing first downs
  • 121 TDs (4.7%), 88 interceptions (3.5%)
  • 86.9 passer rating

Last edited by a moderator:
You see no chance that Sean Payton can elevate his performance? I certainly think he can.

ETA:

Brees before Payton:

• 5 seasons, 59 G, 58 GS, 30-28-0 record
  • 1125 completions/1809 attempts (62.2%)
  • 12348 passing yards (6.8 YPA, 209.3 YPG)
  • 594 passing first downs
  • 80 TDs (4.4%), 53 interceptions (2.9%)
  • 84.9 passer rating
Winston before Payton:

• 5 seasons, 72 G, 70 GS, 28-42-0 record
  • 1563 completions/2548 attempts (61.3%)
  • 19737 passing yards (7.7 YPA, 274.1 YPG)
  • 997 passing first downs
  • 121 TDs (4.7%), 88 interceptions (3.5%)
  • 86.9 passer rating
Really not a great comparison. San Diego was 20-11 in the two years before Brees left for New Orleans, and Brees threw 51 TDs vs. 22 INTs in those seasons. He was already playing pretty well and there was a lot of controversy about whether the Chargers should keep him. His career stats at that point include the fact that he didn't play well in his first two seasons as a starter.

The Bucs are 13-25 in the last three years under Winston and in 2019 he threw more picks than anyone since Vinny Testaverde's historically awful 1988 season. And he looked terrible doing it, too. Testaverde, not Brees, is Winston's upside.

Really not a great comparison. San Diego was 20-11 in the two years before Brees left for New Orleans, and Brees threw 51 TDs vs. 22 INTs in those seasons. He was already playing pretty well and there was a lot of controversy about whether the Chargers should keep him. His career stats at that point include the fact that he didn't play well in his first two seasons as a starter.

The Bucs are 13-25 in the last three years under Winston and in 2019 he threw more picks than anyone since Vinny Testaverde's historically awful 1988 season. And he looked terrible doing it, too. Testaverde, not Brees, is Winston's upside.
Brees played well in his last 2 seasons in San Diego, but there is no denying that Payton elevated his level of play. Surely you don't disagree with that...?

I asked @JohnnyU if he sees "no chance" that Payton can elevate his performance. I didn't say I expect Winston to be Brees or to be elevated at all. I didn't say it is likely. I said I think there is a chance.

Winston played 1 season for Lovie Smith, 3 seasons for Dirk Koetter, and 1 season for Arians. Under Arians he threw for 5109/33. He threw 30 interceptions and had a lot of fumbles, but nobody throws for 5109/33 without ability. Maybe Payton can harness it. :shrug:  

I'm going to say that 2020 is going to be Drew Brees's best season yet in the NFL, even though it may be his last.  Why do I say that?  Because he is finally going to be named regular-season MVP as he leads the Saints to a 12-4 mark & home field advantage throughout the NFC Playoffs.  The big game to watch this year happens in Week 15 in what I believe will be a Super Bowl preview against the Chiefs, who will also go 12-4.

Drew Brees completed 18-of-30 passes for 160 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' 34-23 win over the Bucs in Week 1. 

Brees continually checked down against Tampa, targeting Michael Thomas just five times. Sean Payton's Taysom Hill project continues to be an irritant for those who roster Brees, and the continued threat of Hill taking snaps near the end zone could be an issue for Brees this season. It will be tough to bench Brees in Week 2 against the Raiders.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Um...anyone concerned?

Didn't draft Brees until late (and somebody snagged J. Allen just before my Brees pick), so I was borderline already thinking I'd be streaming, but if he can't perform at home that's troubling. 

Play calling was conservative too. And with TB being tough against the run normally I would have expected the game plan to be more through the air.

Michael Thomas injury doesn't help.

Can't believe it but I'm eyeing Minshew in waivers this week.

Um...anyone concerned?

Didn't draft Brees until late (and somebody snagged J. Allen just before my Brees pick), so I was borderline already thinking I'd be streaming, but if he can't perform at home that's troubling. 

Play calling was conservative too. And with TB being tough against the run normally I would have expected the game plan to be more through the air.

Michael Thomas injury doesn't help.

Can't believe it but I'm eyeing Minshew in waivers this week.
Yes.  He looks his age + Thomas has a high ankle sprain, one of those injuries that could be a problem all season. 

Brees is not going to fall off a cliff, but his days of putting up all-world numbers on a regular basis are probably over.

Yes.  He looks his age + Thomas has a high ankle sprain, one of those injuries that could be a problem all season. 

Brees is not going to fall off a cliff, but his days of putting up all-world numbers on a regular basis are probably over.
The one pass that traveled more than 20 yards in the air was a perfect strike to Jared Cook that traveled 40 yards in the air. I think NO will try to stretch the defenses more in future games with passes to Cook and Smith. Brees will not throw for 5,000 yards again, but he could easily be top 10 in FF.

I’m not going to overact. Both teams seemed to be a bit tentative. And Brady’s pick 6 didn’t help. Allowed Saints to grind clock and ensure a conservative win. The fact they can’t run the ball consistently means it’ll still fall on Brees. He can throw downfield. 

I've had Brees in my dynasty league since 2004 but I am officially concerned for the first time. I am wondering if I would be better dropping him for the best QB on waivers.  I don't like overreacting to Week 1 but the lack of effort to go deep at all concerns me.

Every expert on the planet is saying sit Brees this week.

He's old. M. Thomas out. Lean on the running game. Blah blah blah.

Starting to feel my contrarian streak.

Had been tinkering with the idea of picking up P. Rivers vs. MN lousy secondary, but I could also see Brees putting up serious points against that lousy LV D. 

I've owned Drew his entire career in dynasty. But he hardly attempted any passes downfield tonight or last week. He doesn't look the same. Is it time to drop him and pick up the best QB on waivers? Hate to say it but I think so.  What are your thoughts?  

I've owned Drew his entire career in dynasty. But he hardly attempted any passes downfield tonight or last week. He doesn't look the same. Is it time to drop him and pick up the best QB on waivers? Hate to say it but I think so.  What are your thoughts?  
Depends on what QB's are available. I don't see how he can be considered an every week starter anymore unless your only other QB is someone like Mayfield or D. Jones.

Not that fan-site yahoos mean anything ... but the pro-Brees contingent on Saintsreport is dead silent tonight. The “Bench Brees!” Crew is running all over the parade ground unchallenged.

When somebody took J. Allen right before me leaving me with Brees I felt uneasy. 

After watching the game last night I'm feeling a lot worse.

No Thomas and really no passing game other than to Kamara. Lot of shaky throws. Seems like a struggle to throw it down the field 20 yards.

Definite bench against GB. Borderline dropable. Damn...thinking of Trubisky @ATL instead.

When somebody took J. Allen right before me leaving me with Brees I felt uneasy. 

After watching the game last night I'm feeling a lot worse.

No Thomas and really no passing game other than to Kamara. Lot of shaky throws. Seems like a struggle to throw it down the field 20 yards.

Definite bench against GB. Borderline dropable. Damn...thinking of Trubisky @ATL instead.
Counterpoint. Thomas will return and Brees had 27 TDs and averaged 294 yards in his 10 complete games last year.

The great Brees is gone.   It was a good run.   He has been one of my favorite QBs to watch for years.   He can still manage the O but he isn’t scaring defenses any longer.   Good defenses will focus on Kamara and dare Brees to beat them.   

Counterpoint. Thomas will return and Brees had 27 TDs and averaged 294 yards in his 10 complete games last year.
He didn't look so hot last week either with Thomas in the lineup.

I'm hoping things are just "off" here in the early going and Thomas' absence is contributing. That said, my gut and eyes tell me that maybe the cliff has arrived.

He didn't look so hot last week either with Thomas in the lineup.

I'm hoping things are just "off" here in the early going and Thomas' absence is contributing. That said, my gut and eyes tell me that maybe the cliff has arrived.
I thought Griese raised a good point post game last night... he said for the first time in many years Brees looks uncomfortable in the pocket.

First 3-4 weeks is kind of messy in normal years... 2020 is wide open with extra injury bug to boot.

I thought Brees arm looked pretty weak against the Raiders. Dare I say, noodlish?

Floated a couple balls, and was wildly inaccurate on shorter throws. I don’t recall any shots deep, and that Int was just a terrible read. 

If I’m a NOS fan or Brees owner, I’m concerned. 

I thought Brees arm looked pretty weak against the Raiders. Dare I say, noodlish?

Floated a couple balls, and was wildly inaccurate on shorter throws. I don’t recall any shots deep, and that Int was just a terrible read. 

If I’m a NOS fan or Brees owner, I’m concerned. 
Much like Tommy, looks like father time is closing in......kept waiting for him to really pick the Raidahs apart, but it just never really happened.....very un-Brees like.

I dropped Brees after years of having him and picked up Taysom Hill and Teddy Bridgewater.  I also have Goff. 

I am struggling with who will be the QB to own if Brees is benched should they lose a couple more games and he continues to look weak?  How do people rate Hill vs Jameis Winston.

Hoping like hell my league mates who have 2 QBs on their roster make a mistake and bail me out. Definitely looking for a plan B and I'm looking at how schedules line up.

Clock could be ticking but Brees may do ok this week at home vs GB. They'll have to throw. Next week @DET he could get his groove on to. After that it's LAC and a bye...that could be my time to bail.

In week 5 when Brees faces LAC (and maybe it's official...he's done), I see:

* D. Jones @DAL -- maybe NYG get their act together a bit and Jones goes on a run like last year's 2nd half.

* P. Rivers @CLE then CINCI -- Could be a stop gap.

* J. Hebert @NO --Maybe he's the real deal. And after this game there is a string of cupcakes. Honestly thinking of picking him up now.

I hated it when I hit the "draft" button  on Brees. Don't like it too much now either.

How to fix Eagles' Carson Wentz; no rebound for Drew Brees?

Excerpt:

Drew Brees won't rebound from early-season struggles. I don't expect Brees to re-emerge as the MVP-caliber player we've grown accustomed to seeing for most of his 20-year career. The Saints' quarterback has lost his fastball and I don't believe it's coming back. I know that's not what the Who Dats want to hear, but let me explain: Remember, this is the Hail Mary section of the notebook ...

I'm certainly not dismissing Brees' accomplishments as a Hall of Fame-worthy player, but his regression is easy to see. According to Next Gen Stats, Brees is averaging just 5.0 air yards per attempt after averaging 6.7, 7.1, 6.3 and 7.6 air yards per attempt in the previous four seasons. Those numbers aren't exactly jaw-dropping, as Brees ranked near the bottom of the league (28th or lower) in the category in each of those years, but they're obviously much better than his mark thus far this season.

Part of Brees' putrid air-yard production can be attributed to his willingness to target receivers aligned in the backfield. He has targeted players in the backfield on 30.9 percent of his attempts in 2020, up from the 24.1 percent of his attempts in 2019. The checkdown-heavy approach has enabled him to keep his completion percentage at or above 70 percent for four of the last five seasons, but the dink-and-dunk passes fail to stretch the defense.

While Brees' supporters might argue "small ball" has worked for the Saints, the tactics worked in previous years due to his ability to also complete intermediate passes with a surgeon's precision. He connected on 66.3 percent of his passes at intermediate range (10-19 air yards) while averaging 12.3 yards per attempt and posting a 12:2 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 138.3 passer rating on those throws in 2019. No. 9 hasn't been nearly as effective this season with a 42.9 percent completion rate, 0:1 TD-to-INT ratio and a 45.2 passer rating on intermediate throws. We could ignore the data and attribute Brees' slow start to Michael Thomas' absence, but the film reveals an aging player who is unable to consistently get the ball over the plate.

If the Saints find a way to roll through the NFC with Brees at quarterback, it will be due to the veteran befuddling opponents with a wicked knuckleball that somehow flutters and floats past defenders instead of the fastball we're used to seeing from him.

He was dropped in one of my PPR dynasty leagues (start 1 QB) While I think that was absurd, it does seem like his days of putting up elite FF numbers are over. I'm starting Big Ben over him in the league where I roster both without a second thought really...

He was dropped in one of my PPR dynasty leagues (start 1 QB) While I think that was absurd, it does seem like his days of putting up elite FF numbers are over. I'm starting Big Ben over him in the league where I roster both without a second thought really...
Yeah, it's a bit hasty to drop him.

Losing Thomas hurts but I find it hard to believe Brees lost it all in 10 months. He was smokin the final 6 weeks of 2019, only behind Lamar in points. Maybe it takes a while to get on track because of the lack of preseason or maybe this Saints team as a whole isn’t that great, but I have a hard time believing he could go from finishing last year with MVP stats to washed up in less than a years time.

Losing Thomas hurts but I find it hard to believe Brees lost it all in 10 months. He was smokin the final 6 weeks of 2019, only behind Lamar in points. Maybe it takes a while to get on track because of the lack of preseason or maybe this Saints team as a whole isn’t that great, but I have a hard time believing he could go from finishing last year with MVP stats to washed up in less than a years time.
Peyton Manning fell off a cliff his last year, although he won a Superbowl.

Peyton Manning fell off a cliff his last year, although he won a Superbowl.
Mannings body did give out. His neck was toast. Then he hurt his foot in 2015. He was terrible in the regular season and in the Super Bowl. Glad Von  Miller could win it for him.

Maybe Brees is hurt. Have no idea.

I lean toward losing Thomas, not having a rapport with Sanders, and the team scoring an abnormal percentage of rushing TD's the first 2 games. 

I think Brees could still be a low-end QB1 this year, and people dropping him are insane. That said, I'm not sure people who drafted him are going to be happy with there ROI. I think many expected a healthy Kamara, and the addition of Sanders, to possibly make those last 6 weeks carry over.

Users who are viewing this thread