What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donald Brown (2 Viewers)

I mentioned it in another thread. But, Brown is in a contract year. He's playing for one last payday. (not with the Colts, but some other team) I think this plays into the success of Brown. I'm going to use him this year, but want no part of him in 2014.
You don't want him AFTER he gets a contract with a new team and leaves a team who isn't using him enough?
I agree, sounds like he could go somewhere and be featured.
He's been featured in Indy. With a Hall of Fame QB. Plus he's only getting older. I just don't see it.
I don't know - he wasn't really "featured" until year three, and averaged 4.8 yds/carry with Painter/Orlovsky/Collins as QB. The first two years he was splitting with Addai and was frequently injured. Last year - more injuries, but still averaged almost 4 yds/carry. He's never had a game with 20+ carries, and just a bunch over 15 in 4.5 years.

You very well could be right. Maybe there's a reason he's seen limited action? But every time I have my finger on the drop button he does something to make me think otherwise. It's possible he has a Reggie Bush-like resurgence in an offense who uses him differently than Indy has. I'm definitely holding until I see where he lands in 2014.

So it sounds like they will want to run a hurt trich out there even though hes been awful... why not just start brown and sit trich? This makes it hard to start brown now. Can we start anyone in this backfield?

Pep Hamilton speaks of possible loss of Trent Richardson
by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com
(2:12 pm ET) Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton indicated Thursday that running back Trent Richardson could miss time with an ankle injury. Hamilton said in his press conference that the offense will remain intact if Donald Brown must replace Richardson as the featured back. Richardson was sidelined from practice both Wednesday and Thursday.

by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com(2:12 pm ET) Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton indicated Thursday that running back Trent Richardson could miss time with an ankle injury. Hamilton said in his press conference that the offense will remain intact if Donald Brown must replace Richardson as the featured back. Richardson was sidelined from practice both Wednesday and Thursday.
Nice post. Think ima grab damnit Donald

KCitons said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
mr roboto said:
KCitons said:
I mentioned it in another thread. But, Brown is in a contract year. He's playing for one last payday. (not with the Colts, but some other team) I think this plays into the success of Brown. I'm going to use him this year, but want no part of him in 2014.
You don't want him AFTER he gets a contract with a new team and leaves a team who isn't using him enough?
I agree, sounds like he could go somewhere and be featured.
He's been featured in Indy. With a Hall of Fame QB. Plus he's only getting older. I just don't see it.
This really isn't accurate. Joseph Addai was an established starting RB whom Manning favored from the start. And Addai played well enough at the little things to keep Brown as a backup the whole time Addai was there. Also, the IND offense was not geared for running the ball and in particular was not designed well for Brown's running style. Brown runs best out of the I formation or PRO formation--with a lead FB. The shotgun formation was not well suited to him in particular.

2009: Addai was the lead back, Brown had issues with pass blocking and he got hurt

2010: Addai and Brown split workload, and both were hurt at times

2011: First year Brown really had a shot to be the guy and to run out of a run friendly system: he did well--4.8 ypc--and forced Addai to bench

2012: This was supposed to be Brown's year--the team has a new regime; Brown is doing well and then gets hurt; Ballard took over while he was hurt and the new regime never really gave Brown another chance. Interestingly, Ballard's on field production was no better than Brown's.

2013: Ballard is hyped; Bradshaw brought in; TRich brought in; They are avoiding Brown like the plague, but halfway through the season and he is their best back with 6.8 ypc.

Injuries and system have held him back. But at this point, I question whether he can be a 20 touch guy in the NFL. Not that he isn't talented enough, but he has yet to go a year without missing a number of games and having injuries slow his production in others.

by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com(2:12 pm ET) Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton indicated Thursday that running back Trent Richardson could miss time with an ankle injury. Hamilton said in his press conference that the offense will remain intact if Donald Brown must replace Richardson as the featured back. Richardson was sidelined from practice both Wednesday and Thursday.
Nice post. Think ima grab damnit Donald
Thanks for posting this. Also grabbing donald. Great one week play at home vs the rams. Now just have to hope trich sits....

If Brown starts and does well, I don't see how Richardson gets the majority of the carries going forward unless an injury (to Brown) occurs.

This would sure make it a lot easier to sit TRich on a weekly basis. Especially if Brown runs well this week. Even if TRich plays this week, I think he will see less snaps which puts him on my bench for good. If he is out, I think Brown is a sneaky play this week. Definitely better than Jennings.

If Brown starts and does well, I don't see how Richardson gets the majority of the carries going forward unless an injury (to Brown) occurs.
That is what I am hoping for, I just dropped him Tuesday night and put in a waiver to pick him up tonight. I wouldn't have dropped him if I had known Richardson was hurt, but I have lost Julio and Blackmon, so not much bench space. That said, I am planning on dropping Bolden because even though Bolden has put up better numbers the last few weeks, Vereen is back after the bye. It would be great if Brown got the start and enough touches to show what he can do and maybe cement him self as the guy the rest of the season. Well, we can dream anyway. ;)

I've always liked Brown. He seems like a nice guy, but he's always been a FF whipping boy. His biggest problem is he has trouble playing well when dinged up.

Right now, he appears healthy and he's definitely worth starting if TRich is unable to go (unless he pulls a McFadden and gets injured in mid-game).

That is what I am hoping for, I just dropped him Tuesday night and put in a waiver to pick him up tonight. I wouldn't have dropped him if I had known Richardson was hurt, but I have lost Julio and Blackmon, so not much bench space. That said, I am planning on dropping Bolden because even though Bolden has put up better numbers the last few weeks, Vereen is back after the bye. It would be great if Brown got the start and enough touches to show what he can do and maybe cement him self as the guy the rest of the season. Well, we can dream anyway. ;)
FWIW, I dropped Richardson today outright, he was the most expendable player imo. I might pick up Brown later though depending on the news out of practice tomorrow, if he's still out there.

So trich is practicing today and will most likely play... still start Donald brown or avoid this mess entirely? The matchup is good...

They might end up splitting snaps again, so it's anyone's guess as to who breaks the long run for a td. Not saying to avoid, just know it could go either way.

So trich is practicing today and will most likely play... still start Donald brown or avoid this mess entirely? The matchup is good...
If TRich practices fully today, I would expect the Colts to use him exactly the same.

Really feel bad for TRich owners, what are they going to get from him at 75%?

If TRich practices fully today, I would expect the Colts to use him exactly the same.Really feel bad for TRich owners, what are they going to get from him at 75%?
I own both and was hoping trich would be held out. This news makes me want to avoid the situation. Of course, this would be the week trich has a decent game

Last edited by a moderator:
If TRich practices fully today, I would expect the Colts to use him exactly the same.Really feel bad for TRich owners, what are they going to get from him at 75%?
I own both and was hoping trich would be held out. This news makes me want to avoid the situation. Of course, this would be the week trich has a decent game
I noticed you said decent week. Not great, or even good. Just decent. :lol:

I noticed you said decent week. Not great, or even good. Just decent. :lol:
Yeah its been rough

So much for the super duper sleeper of the week pick now that the plodder is back in the mix. This is a similar situation to what is going on in ARI with Mendy and Ellington.

Anyone still considering rolling with DBrown today even with Trich active? Faced with the unenviable choice between him and JStew...

With TRich slightly hobbled Donald has got to be in for a slight uptick in carries right? Against the rams with 6-10 carries and 3-4 targets he might be flex-worthy. I haven't watched the Trich/DBrown thing much this year, do these numbers seem realistic?

Well, there you go. I haven't watched Indy much so anyone have a breakdown on Brown? Is he running particularly well? Or is his success more if an indictment on TRich?

:pickle:

I plugged Brown in at the last minute. Was pretty bummed with the first half, but I think he won the starting job with his second half performance.

It was really amazing watching the game how much better the team was with Brown on the field. It looks like two completely different teams. If they don't start Brown from here on out, those coaches are idiots.

:pickle:

I plugged Brown in at the last minute. Was pretty bummed with the first half, but I think he won the starting job with his second half performance.

It was really amazing watching the game how much better the team was with Brown on the field. It looks like two completely different teams. If they don't start Brown from here on out, those coaches are idiots.
I did too, mainly because of the matchup. Never expected 22 points. That is the most points all season out of my RB2 spot on a 7-3 team, so very welcome. Not fun starting the season with David Wilson and finally getting a great result in week 11. Here's to Brown being solid the rest of the season. :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown will get bulk of work rest of year, but won't "start". Grigs is rolling dice! He and Irsay too proud to admit blatant failure.

Yeah this was the first game he had significantly more carries. Is this what we should expect going forward?

Desperation start pays off.

First time checking in here, but he looks markedly better than Richardson. Also, I didn't see him fail on any pass pro last night. I think if they limit his exposure to ALL passing situations, he should be fine in that regard. I didn't see him back down from the blitz, either.

Colt homers, can Brown now block? I've always liked his patience and burst, but if Brown can block there is no way he is kept off the field for the majority of snaps. Seems like a good flex play moving forward.

No, he blew a block or two.

I had him earlier in the year and dropped him. Might make a speculative add and drop Helu. Im high on the guy, but he just hasn't gotten the volume of work (until last night) to be fantasy relevant

Rotoworld:

The Indianapolis Star does not anticipate the Colts promoting Donald Brown into the starting lineup over Trent Richardson.
Coach Chuck Pagano indicated the Colts will "ride the hot hand," and Brown has had it for most of the year in Indy. The Colts are still expected to "continue to divide carries" between disappointing in-season acquisition Richardson and normal change-of-pace back Brown. If "a guy gets hot, you can always go with the hot hand," Pagano said. "But I like the way we’re doing things now."

Source: Indianapolis Star

Rotoworld:

Coach Chuck Pagano said he started Donald Brown Sunday because Brown he "earned the opportunity."

Brown has been badly outplaying Trent Richardson ever since the trade with Cleveland. The situation came to a head against the Titans as Brown played 52 snaps and Richardson saw just 13. "We're always trying to just make decisions based on what's best for the team and what gives us the best chance to win," Pagano said. Brown will be the feature back against the Bengals in Week 14, leaving T-Rich as a change-of-pace option.

Related: Trent Richardson

Source: colts.com

Rotoworld:

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports Donald Brown is ticketed for "grunt work" in San Diego.

The word comes straight from GM Tom Telesco. That is not to say Brown will receive zero touches, but Ryan Mathews will remain the Bolts' primary grinder, with Danny Woodhead monopolizing passing-down looks. Brown will be tasked with picking up blitzes and other dirty work. We wouldn't expect more than 5-6 touches per game.

Related: Danny Woodhead, Ryan Mathews

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Jul 22 - 6:46 PM

I keep going back and forth on how I think the situation in SD will play out. Mathews is on the last year of his deal and the fact that they brought in Brown makes me feel like they could be preparing to let Mathews walk after this year. So does that mean they ride Mathews hard this year and see how it goes? If he breaks...let him walk. If he plays strong all year, re-sign him?

On the other hand, you probably want to see what you've got with Brown before making a decision on Mathews.

Chargers toward the end of last season became a run first team. Don't know if the trend continues but between Mathews and Woodhead, I don't see a lot of touches left for someone like Donald Brown. Maybe he takes the Ronnie Brown role and vultures some short yardage work near the goal line. But not a defined role enough to roster in my deep dynasty team where I have Mathews/Woodhead. He sits on the waiver wire.

Chargers toward the end of last season became a run first team. Don't know if the trend continues but between Mathews and Woodhead, I don't see a lot of touches left for someone like Donald Brown. Maybe he takes the Ronnie Brown role and vultures some short yardage work near the goal line. But not a defined role enough to roster in my deep dynasty team where I have Mathews/Woodhead. He sits on the waiver wire.
Brown has to be the clear Mathews handcuff though. If Mathews misses time then Brown should be the one that benefits, not Woodhead. Woodhead and Mathews might as well be on separate teams as far as fantasy purposes go. I guess it depends on how "deep" your dynasty league is but I feel like Brown should definitely be owned. If they let Mathews walk next year then Brown would be the starter. Even if they re-sign Mathews, Brown is a capable and clear handcuff to him and given Mathews injury history, I'd want to 'cuff him.

Brown has to be the clear Mathews handcuff though. If Mathews misses time then Brown should be the one that benefits, not Woodhead. Woodhead and Mathews might as well be on separate teams as far as fantasy purposes go. I guess it depends on how "deep" your dynasty league is but I feel like Brown should definitely be owned. If they let Mathews walk next year then Brown would be the starter. Even if they re-sign Mathews, Brown is a capable and clear handcuff to him and given Mathews injury history, I'd want to 'cuff him.
Brown just got picked up, but I have 9 RB's on my team already. Can only carry so many. 28 man rosters.

At the moment I view Brown as Mathews replacement next year. I would expect them to draft a RB in next year's RB heavy draft but it wouldn't surprise me if Brown takes over Mathews role.

This year I purely see him in the Ronnie Brown role, although I expect him to play better than Brown did.

31 carries, 62 yards, 0 TD.

That has to be in the running for the most inefficient, high-volume stat line ever.
He's truly an awful runner, IMO. Had him in Indy. Have him now, so I don't begrudge him a thing. I just can't stand his running style. He's not much laterally and works well when the defense is expecting a pass. In short, he kinda stinks. But for now, you're exactly right. He's volume.

Until he loses his job.

31 carries, 62 yards, 0 TD.

That has to be in the running for the most inefficient, high-volume stat line ever.
He's truly an awful runner, IMO. Had him in Indy. Have him now, so I don't begrudge him a thing. I just can't stand his running style. He's not much laterally and works well when the defense is expecting a pass. In short, he kinda stinks. But for now, you're exactly right. He's volume.

Until he loses his job.
That won't happen unless they make a trade. Mathews is down and now Woodcock is gone for the year. His new backup was practice squad fodder.

Users who are viewing this thread