What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (1 Viewer)

What do we expect from the passing down RB on a weekly basis
I think you have to look beyond that. It's not so much what do we expect in terms of production but what we expect in terms of perceived value.

I could care less if a guy I am adding off the wire is a 6 point or 14 point guy, depending on the stars aligning correctly. I care about getting this guy on my roster and then generating value from him because I KNOW that there is somebody out there in my league that, at some point, is going to pay me for this guy.
Perceived value is in fact the problem here. Whether or not Lewis actually ends up holding any value is going to be irrelevant in the eyes of people who won't own a part of BB's backfield under any circumstance. I think Lewis may end up being good depth for teams in PPR but looking towards him as trade bait is incorrect.
Well, that eliminates "part" of the people, but it keeps the door open for that other part. all you need is one to make a trade.

What's the alternative? If you have an open spot or if you have someone you're ready to cut, what's the downside?

I think you have to look beyond that. It's not so much what do we expect in terms of production but what we expect in terms of perceived value.

I could care less if a guy I am adding off the wire is a 6 point or 14 point guy, depending on the stars aligning correctly. I care about getting this guy on my roster and then generating value from him because I KNOW that there is somebody out there in my league that, at some point, is going to pay me for this guy.
Perceived value is in fact the problem here. Whether or not Lewis actually ends up holding any value is going to be irrelevant in the eyes of people who won't own a part of BB's backfield under any circumstance. I think Lewis may end up being good depth for teams in PPR but looking towards him as trade bait is incorrect.
Well, that eliminates "part" of the people, but it keeps the door open for that other part. all you need is one to make a trade.

What's the alternative? If you have an open spot or if you have someone you're ready to cut, what's the downside?
There isn't any if you have the room, I'm just saying the stigma is very real and could make him a tough player to move. I've been sitting here debating between him and Andre Williams for the past 30 mins myself but not because I expect to be able to trade him at any point this year.

I think you have to look beyond that. It's not so much what do we expect in terms of production but what we expect in terms of perceived value.I could care less if a guy I am adding off the wire is a 6 point or 14 point guy, depending on the stars aligning correctly. I care about getting this guy on my roster and then generating value from him because I KNOW that there is somebody out there in my league that, at some point, is going to pay me for this guy.
this is like drafting six RBs in a row bc someone will have to trade with me. Yet, it doesnt always work out. Hope it does for you though
It's not like that at all. I didn't say anyone would HAVE to trade with me. I said someone will want to.

We can all make our own call on whether we think something is worth taking a shot but here we sit less than one week from the beginning of the season with a lot of knowns settled. As I look around the league of available players, tell me a couple that have more upside that are sitting on waivers. Should I take Brett Hundley? He had a better pre-season than most expected. Should I take Leonard Hankerson because Roddy is looking to have slowed?

There are very few players out there right now that have the upside potential/buzz around them as the passing RB for the Patriots. We all KNOW what that role can net and if we are talking the simple trouble of picking up a guy on waivers, there's no reason not to.

There isn't any if you have the room, I'm just saying the stigma is very real and could make him a tough player to move. I've been sitting here debating between him and Andre Williams for the past 30 mins myself but not because I expect to be able to trade him at any point this year.
Honestly, I'd take Williams in that case. But overall, I think IF you are just sitting there and he's available...do it because its a long season and if he won the job and has a role, SOMEBODY out there, at some point, due to injuries or whatever are likely going to be interested in the Patriots' receiving RB because they are a high scoring team and its actually that variance and unpredictability that works FOR you becasuse while there are those out there who say "Ahh, it's this and that and who knows," there's also those out there who like to swing for the fences and think "Hey, I might luck out and get a Rb on a high scoring team and end up with a top 20 rb (ppr). Wasn't Vareen and Ridley both pretty valuable at different point?

He could make an impact. He has rare, elite balance/ankle breaking skill and adequate power/speed and good hands/catch. Very compact. Deceptive power, adequate for nickel/dime sets where he will be facing mostly. Also Pats tied him up in 2014 after the injury thinking they would tie him up for 2015. Didn't play in final pre-season game. He's in the plan.

Gushinghistory/story/narrative while watching his 40+ carry game. Pretty much every play went to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muydhwHqxAg

A few highlights as a freshman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HxvSzpKl48

recent film:

2TDs in pre-season,

one split out wide receiving ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9j1nAtBV8

one impressive power run inside for TD.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000514583/Lewis-runs-for-11-yard-touchdown

Nice one handed catch and run and juke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76tNBbfypZ4

and a last one showing off his shiftiness is not gone after injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXfR_fSoOZk

There is zero buzz on this guy, even his recent vids have only a handful of views. Definitely a last/late round pickup that has a great chance to pay off. I think he has a chance to take the vacated Vereen role to a new level if he can stay healthy.

P.S. Jonas Gray was waived to make more RB room so Lewis most likely made the team.

Is it a foregone conclusion that Lewis is the 3rd back? Is White still on the roster?
I think White made the cut but he's looked like the epitome of pedestrian every time I've seen him on the field.
White was getting all the love from OTAs and early camp work.

Maybe hoodie is playing snooker with him.
White has already earned a reputation for being soft. Lights it up in two hand touch and shirts and shells. Once the gloves come off and people go full live contact . . . not so much.

Added him everywhere. Thought he always looked good in his limited touches in Philly. Had no chance behind Shady. But hes Clearly more explosive then White and Bolden.

I see Roto has Lewis as the RB2 and the 3rd down RB1, Just a few days ago, they had Bolden in both spots, ahead of Lewis. Bolden was the #1 with Brady in during game 3, ahead of Lewis. I have searched everywhere and other than a bunch of opinions, I haven't seen anywhere that the Pats said they made a change from the game 3 order.

If you have seen something, please link
No one really knows. It's all speculation at this point. With that said Dion has looked the best out of all of the other RBs in the preseason so it's hard to imagine him not having some sort of role in Week 1.

Really liked him coming out of college. Wanted the Steelers to take him late.

I seem to recall him getting hurt early on wherever he landed.

College: Pittsburgh
NFL draft: 2011 / Round: 5 / Pick: 149

Height: 5 ft 8 in
Weight: 195 lb
Career history

Philadelphia Eagles (2011–2012)
Cleveland Browns (2013)
Indianapolis Colts (2014)
New England Patriots (2015–present)

Gotta believe the best case scenario for him is Danny Woodhead...and I would gladly take that...

I just scooped him up for Brandon Bolden
I'm hearing Bolden will start.
Blount is suspended week 1, so maybe that's why Bolden is starting. But obviously with BB doesn't matter who "starts" all that matters is who plays. I always thought Bolden was a good player (reminds me of Ivory a little) but for whatever reason hasn't really gotten a consistent chance to play as far as I can recall.

Dropped Jacquizz for him. I'd rather be early on a potential PPR machine from the Patriots than late.

I'm trying to figure exactly how much value there is in his predicted role..

Woodhead saw 55 targets in 2012, Vereen saw 70 in 2013 and 78 in 2014.

Despite seeing the 4th most targets of all RBs last year and cashing in on 68% of those targets, Vereen still barely managed RB3 numbers in PPR on a PPG basis.

Is this the best case scenario?

I think so. The thing is that Pats are so unpredictable that he might come out of nowhere and log 15 carries and catch 5 passes on week, then catch 2 for 15 the next.

Despite seeing the 4th most targets of all RBs last year and cashing in on 68% of those targets, Vereen still barely managed RB3 numbers in PPR on a PPG basis.

One would think the "best case scenario" would more closely resemble Vereen in 2013 than 2014, where he saw those 70 targets in only 8 games. Depends how troubling it proves for the Pats to find reliability in various other phases of the offense. Obviously, in 2013, they faced injuries that limited snaps for Amendola and Gronk, and the other WR spot saw Bill cycling through players trying to find some chemistry for Tom.

Can't count on that, but the Pats' major targets certainly have a history of getting dinged, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. And the running game is obviously loaded with question marks. When your surest thing appears to be Legarrette Blount, you've got zero sure things. :shrug:

I like Lewis's talent as a football player, but certainly won't project him for anything monstrous. Figure on some kind of 40/600 (total)/4 type floor, and be happy with anything you get above that -- which you just might.

Last edited by a moderator:
Added him everywhere. Thought he always looked good in his limited touches in Philly. Had no chance behind Shady. But hes Clearly more explosive then White and Bolden.
This. Think Shane Vereen with better big play ability. I think Lewis is a better runner than Vereen.

Count me in on those seeing the Vereen role as a possible big deal, especially in PPR.

We don't know where it will go but do the math with NE targets:

1. Gronk

2. Edelman

3. ?

4. ?

5. ?

Usually they have at least 3 pass receiving wheels worth owning somehow.

Count me in on those seeing the Vereen role as a possible big deal, especially in PPR.

We don't know where it will go but do the math with NE targets:

1. Gronk

2. Edelman

3. ?

4. ?

5. ?

Usually they have at least 3 pass receiving wheels worth owning somehow.
there's value here somewhere...

Yeah, as stated in the sneaky play week 1 thread, the Pats 3rd down back could have some real production in PPR. Unfortunately it's hard to know who that is. I do remember liking Lewis quite a bit as a fast shifty guy who can catch. Maybe he has completely recovered from his injuries.

I think he's definitely better than Cadet, and showed better in preseason as well. So I don't think there's any question who the receiving RB will be (as long as he performs well). The thing is predicting the game script...when will the Pats be dumping it off to the RB? That's what you have to figure out to feel good about him in your lineup.

That's exactly why I'm not adding him on any team. No upside.

That's exactly why I'm not adding him on any team. No upside.
That isn't true. See Freelove's post above. Vereen had 70 targets in 2013 in only 8 games due to all the injuries. Well, outside of Edelman, there are a lot of question marks for the WRs this year. Not saying Lewis can duplicate it, but that target uncertainty in 2013 led Vereen to be RB9 in ppg in PPR in those 8 games starting off the season with a 7 reception, 160 total yard game. Lewis has upside if he becomes the 3rd down RB and the Pats decide to target him as #3 behind Gronk/Edelman.

Again, he could easily amount to nothing and there were some pre-season signs that Vereen could do well in 2013. That said, Vereen's upside in 2013 is not nothing and he was a fringe RB2 last year in PPR if you got hit with injuries, just outside of the top 24.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's definitely better than Cadet, and showed better in preseason as well. So I don't think there's any question who the receiving RB will be (as long as he performs well). The thing is predicting the game script...when will the Pats be dumping it off to the RB? That's what you have to figure out to feel good about him in your lineup.
I think Lewis is a better overall player, but I think Cadet is the better receiver. I'd be worried that Cadet made the team without playing if I were looking to buy Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread