What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did Abraham get dealt to Denver? (1 Viewer)

LBH

Footballguy
Saw on a Jet fan board that it was Abraham for one of Denvers 1st rd. Picks. Has anyone heard anything on this?

I haven't seen or heard anything about this locally or from any major media outlet. Right now I think it's simply speculation because Denver has two first rounders....

Two first rounders and ZERO cap space.

Without a CBA extension, I can't see the Broncos being able to make this trade.

Seems like this deal would make sense, especially with Denver unloading Pryce (temporarily?) or maybe that's what's leading to this rumor in the first place.

Seems like this deal would make sense, especially with Denver unloading Pryce (temporarily?) or maybe that's what's leading to this rumor in the first place.
Latest I've seen is a deal sending Abraham and the #4 pick to Houston to draft Leinhart.

Right now, I don't see anything at the NY or Denver newspaper sites. Figure it saves some folks some time searching

The Broncos can't afford him or TO. They have to hack just to get under the cap as it is. TO has lost a lot of options as to where he can go now. :lmao:

Well, the only confirmation is as follows:

1. some kid who posts video shorts of himself in his dorm room talking about the Jets

2. Radio 1050 in NY is reporting that Abraham's camp is holding a press conference today.

That, along with Denver's cuts, which were unusual b/c they wre early, and b/c Trevor Pryce was let go, gives nice circumstantial evidence for an Abraham trade, but at this point, this is nothing more than a connect-the-dots-rumor.

Speculation at this point but...

Randy Lange of the Bergen Record (very good Jet source) - states that an Abe deal is done but can not be announced until cuts are all in place. Should be revealed tonight or tomorrow. No word on team or compensation.

Most Jet and Denver boards have discussed the 29th being involved. Good deal for both IMO.

I would not use the 29th to trade up to #1 but rather use the #29 and 2nd rd pick to trade up to get a RB in the mid 1st rd. White or Williams top add to Cutler or Brick!

can someone in the NY/NJ area turn on WFAN and let us know. They'd surely have this in their update

Randy Lange of the Bergen Record (very good Jet source) - states that an Abe deal is done but can not be announced until cuts are all in place. Should be revealed tonight or tomorrow. No word on team or compensation.

Most Jet and Denver boards have discussed the 29th being involved. Good deal for both IMO.

I would not use the 29th to trade up to #1 but rather use the #29 and 2nd rd pick to trade up to get a RB in the mid 1st rd. White or Williams top add to Cutler or Brick!
I would use the 29th pick an OL or BPA.

The OL is going to be blown to bits without Mawae Kendal and Fabini. :excited:

I don't see a need for a RB at all yet - Use this down year to build up the lines and then with a high pick next year add the RB as icing on the cake, unless Houston has a great year.

I would use the 29th pick an OL or BPA.

The OL is going to be blown to bits without Mawae Kendal and Fabini. :excited:

I don't see a need for a RB at all yet - Use this down year to build up the lines and then with a high pick next year add the RB as icing on the cake, unless Houston has a great year.
I think they should use their #4 pick on Brick and as Kiddnets, said, move up to the middle of the round to draft a running back. The rookie RB would have a great mentor in Curtis Martin.

Jetsconfidential message board saidf Dan Lieberfeld - one of the top beat reporters for the Jets on ESPN News says Abe has been rumored to be traded to Detroit for the #9 pick.

If so Tannenbaum just buried Badaway - even I can't believe Millen is that crazy or dumb....is he?

Jetsconfidential message board saidf Dan Lieberfeld - one of the top beat reporters for the Jets on ESPN News says Abe has been rumored to be traded to Detroit for the #9 pick.

If so Tannenbaum just buried Badaway - even I can't believe Millen is that crazy or dumb....is he?
I'll be pretty surprised at that. One of Denvers picks seems alot more likely. Either way I'd be happy to unload JA for any pick in the 1st rd

Peep, turn on WFAN please
I have 1050 on and they just said Mawae was released....Can't get WFAN on the computer at "Work".
"Mikey.. give me Willie Mayes' stats from 1964"
total state of NY radio - ESPN had Gary Myers and Kay's crew talking all NFL :thumbup:

WFAN Fatso and Fruitloops baseball and golf :thumbdown:

WFAN is clueless - remember "Yankee Day" two days before the JEt playoff game vs Oakland!

well from WFAN's website I know they talked NFL with Adam from NFLNetwork
Eric Birkshaw spoke NFL last night till 1AM.. he is the closest they have when it comes to year-round NFL talk (next to Joe B of course)

well from WFAN's website I know they talked NFL with Adam from NFLNetwork
Eric Birkshaw spoke NFL last night till 1AM.. he is the closest they have when it comes to year-round NFL talk (next to Joe B of course)
Joe knows jet football

Peep, turn on WFAN please
I have 1050 on and they just said Mawae was released....Can't get WFAN on the computer at "Work".
"Mikey.. give me Willie Mayes' stats from 1964"
total state of NY radio - ESPN had Gary Myers and Kay's crew talking all NFL :thumbup:

WFAN Fatso and Fruitloops baseball and golf :thumbdown:

WFAN is clueless - remember "Yankee Day" two days before the JEt playoff game vs Oakland!
:lmao: 100% true

Hey, the young man that does that Jets TV video blog from his BC dorm does in fact have an inside connection with the Jets FO. He admits it's through a family connection.... just lucky on his part that he sometimes gets some tidbits.

There could be some truth in the Abraham to Denver rumor. With Pryce gone, it makes sense.

Hey, the young man that does that Jets TV video blog from his BC dorm does in fact have an inside connection with the Jets FO. He admits it's through a family connection.... just lucky on his part that he sometimes gets some tidbits.

There could be some truth in the Abraham to Denver rumor. With Pryce gone, it makes sense.
They'll give a 29 for him. Don't see them dealing their 22.

They'll give a 29 for him. Don't see them dealing their 22.
I was thinking I was being optomistic looking for a two for Abaraham.... I'll take the #29 and be very happy with that.PS: Discussions about Abraham between the Jets and Denver have now been reported in quite a few places.... this kid called the Sowell cut before it happened. He does have a contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fan 950 in Denver was reporting this as a "rumor" all day. Jeff Legwold, the Broncos beat reporter for the Rocky Mountain News, was on the radio saying he didn't see how the Broncos could make this trade happen with their available cap space.

Interesting trade to ponder.

1. Teams don't trade for franchise players without a contract. To trade Abraham, the Jets would have to re-sign him to a multi-year cap friendly contract. Those genereally include huge signing bonuses.

2. If they trade Abraham, will the full amount of the signing bonus is applied to this year's cap? I don't recall the ramifications of the signing bonus on the cap when a trade is involved.

3. Jets are not healthy from a cap stand point (-10mil). So, now they will have to pay Abraham's signing bonus, the rookie #4 signing bonus and the #29 pick signing bonus. Lots of coin being spent in up front money to avoid the cap hits. Yes, it can be done.

Meanwhile in Denver...

1. You get a franchise player with a new cap-freindly contract. No signing bonus to pay for this player. Cap is at -13mil... not good. So they'd still have to clear more room for Abraham's contract.

2. No signing bonus or cap figure for the #29 over-all prospect that would not be near Abraham's ability and value.

Seems like a good fit for Denver and a financial problem for the Jets. The Jets are in a financial bind regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abe hasn't signed the contract yet. Teams have the right to remove the franchise tag if they want to. There's not usually a signing bonus with a 1 year franchise tag deal.

I would expect Abe's "rights" are being traded

1. Teams don't trade for franchise players without a contract. To trade Abraham, the Jets would have to re-sign him to a multi-year cap friendly contract. Those genereally include huge signing bonuses.

2. If they trade Abraham, will the full amount of the signing bonus is applied to this year's cap? I don't recall the ramifications of the signing bonus on the cap when a trade is involved.

3. Jets are not healthy from a cap stand point (-10mil). So, now they will have to pay Abraham's signing bonus, the rookie #4 signing bonus and the #29 pick signing bonus. Lots of coin being spent in up front money to avoid the cap hits. Yes, it can be done.

Meanwhile in Denver...

1. You get a franchise player with a new cap-freindly contract. No signing bonus to pay for this player. Cap is at -13mil... not good. So they'd still have to clear more room for Abraham's contract.

2. No signing bonus or cap figure for the #29 over-all prospect that would not be near Abraham's ability and value.

Seems like a good fit for Denver and a financial problem for the Jets. The Jets are in a financial bind regardless.
I believe that in this situation, the deal only makes sense if the bonus is an option bonus for next year, rather than a signing bonus this year. The first year will have a high base salary to compensate. The Jets will not be on the hook for that base salary on their cap for the year.

Meanwhile in Denver...

The Jets would not sign Abrahams bonus. The Broncos would.

With his JETS TV video and all - the inside scoops should last real long....

I give him an A for effort though - In 10 years we'll probably be reading his stuff in The NY Post.

1. Teams don't trade for franchise players without a contract. To trade Abraham, the Jets would have to re-sign him to a multi-year cap friendly contract.  Those genereally include huge signing bonuses.

Meanwhile in Denver...

The Jets would not sign Abrahams bonus. The Broncos would.
thank god Isiah Thomas has no say over the Jets

John Clayton reported that the Lions were the front runners for Abe, and would include thier #9 overall, with the Jets giving up a pick as well. 3rd rder?

John Clayton reported that the Lions were the front runners for Abe, and would include thier #9 overall, with the Jets giving up a pick as well. 3rd rder?
If the Jets could do something like this..I would do a back-flipI would like to see the Jets address the draft as follows

assuming they can trade Abraham for a first round pick...

1) Take DeBrickshaw with 1.04

2) Assuming they can get a 1.22 pick from Denver..go for the best offensive skill player available (DeAngelo Williams if he were to fall that far, Chad Jackson otherwise) if neither is available go for a 1st round talent Corner or OLB

3) with 2.04 take an offensive guard.

4) pickup a decent veteran QB as a backup to Chad, assuming you don't cut him

5) keep Mawae, keeping him is "only" costing you 1.2million extra, if you are going to go into 2006 with a young offensive line, you'll need a veteran anchoring it.

6) Make your cuts to get under the cap by cutting Jolley, McCareins, Kendall. Law, Fabini, Fiedler and Sowell are already cap casualties

You would be looking at an offensive line of

DeBrickshaw, Goodwin or Moore, Mawae, new guard, Adian Jones

Your skill positions would be

Curtis and Houston plus Coles and Chad Jackson

or

Curtis and DeAngelo plus Coles and McCareins

With Pennington and Ramsey for argument sake as your QB's

not a terrible offensive team, and at least you are young at most of the major positions.... it will take a 2 years to get good again..but I can wait... Give me a

the defense is still young, although your going to lose quite a bit without Abraham helping the pass-rush...

message to the Jets: Pease get Reggie Bush
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.I'll go Beserk. Imagine they get pick 29 for Abe and trade both picks for BUSH UGHHHHHHHH!!!!! They could lose 3/5 of the OL, including the 2 best offensive linemen they have.

Build the OL..... Next year the Jets will have another high draft pick - Adding a RB to an established OL is cake.... Go Best player at 4, if that's Ferguson, then so be it and then attack the OL with a few more picks...

Watching Reggie Bush get crushed and help get the QB crushed is NOT what I want to see...... Especially for the price it would take to get him...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.I'll go Beserk. Imagine they get pick 29 for Abe and trade both picks for BUSH UGHHHHHHHH!!!!! They could lose 3/5 of the OL, including the 2 best offensive linemen they have.

Build the OL..... Next year the Jets will have another high draft pick - Adding a RB to an established OL is cake.... Go Best player at 4, if that's Ferguson, then so be it and then attack the OL with a few more picks...

Watching Reggie Bush get crushed and help get the QB crushed is NOT what I want to see...... Especially for the price it would take to get him...
:goodposting: I say why not go with D'Brick and trade Abraham for 1st to draft another tackle on the other side and get a nice set of bookends.

Hell- if we get the #9 from the Lions for Abe- maybe AJ Hawk is still there and get him in the middle with Vilma for the 3-4.

Then draft a CB or RB in the 2nd and/or third.

We need a QB first. Then go O line with the next three picks. A RT, a center and guard with the next two. Next year, with a high draft pick again, we get Peterson as our new 3 down RB. The RB should always be the last piece of the puzzle. Looks like we might have enough to sign a Julian Peterson as another OLB for the 3-4. Somewhere along the way, we need a CB for depth.

We need a QB first. Then go O line with the next three picks. A RT, a center and guard with the next two. Next year, with a high draft pick again, we get Peterson as our new 3 down RB. The RB should always be the last piece of the puzzle. Looks like we might have enough to sign a Julian Peterson as another OLB for the 3-4. Somewhere along the way, we need a CB for depth.
I don't disagree that the RB should be the last piece of the puzzle.. Problem is that I think the Jets have so many needs right now, they need all the early picks they can get their hands on.if the Abraham trade to the Lions goes through, then i'd go

D'Brick at 1.04, Cutler at #9 and then an OG at 2.04

would you still feel that way if Bush turns out to be the next great NFL rb. I'd rather draft Bush,trade for Ramsey, and rebuild the Oline with our remaining draft picks.

You are not correct. Altlanta did this with Peerless Price. Buffalo tagged him and then traded the rights to him. Atlanta then signed a contract with him.

All these Jet posts seem to be pushing for them to go offense. Mangini is a defensive coach so I would not be surprised to see them fortify the D. If the D is good than you will usually be competitive. The Jets have a decent D and if they can improve it it will greatly stabilize a sticky situation. Look at the Pats in 01. They came out of nowhere once the D gelled and won a Super Bowl with a first year QB and players at each skill position that had all been cut at least once in their NFL career. In general you can win with an average offense but you're usually going nowhere fast with an average defense (unless you have an unbelievable O like the Fouts Chargers or Manning Colts...and even than you won't win it all).

All these Jet posts seem to be pushing for them to go offense. Mangini is a defensive coach so I would not be surprised to see them fortify the D. If the D is good than you will usually be competitive. The Jets have a decent D and if they can improve it it will greatly stabilize a sticky situation. Look at the Pats in 01. They came out of nowhere once the D gelled and won a Super Bowl with a first year QB and players at each skill position that had all been cut at least once in their NFL career. In general you can win with an average offense but you're usually going nowhere fast with an average defense (unless you have an unbelievable O like the Fouts Chargers or Manning Colts...and even than you won't win it all).
Pats mvp in 2001=mo lewis

All these Jet posts seem to be pushing for them to go offense.  Mangini is a defensive coach so I would not be surprised to see them fortify the D.  If the D is good than you will usually be competitive.  The Jets have a decent D and if they can improve it it will greatly stabilize a sticky situation.  Look at the Pats in 01.  They came out of nowhere once the D gelled and won a Super Bowl with a first year QB and players at each skill position that had all been cut at least once in their NFL career.  In general you can win with an average offense but you're usually going nowhere fast with an average defense (unless you have an unbelievable O like the Fouts Chargers or Manning Colts...and even than you won't win it all).
Pats mvp in 2001=mo lewis
Not just in 2001 but for franchise history.

Users who are viewing this thread