What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Devonta Freeman still listed as #4 on depth chart? What gives? (1 Viewer)

DeaLerZ

Footballguy
I didn't get to see him play in the preseason but his numbers look awesome... I am sure the #4 on the depth chart doesn't mean that much right now, but how is this affecting him on draft boards?? What RBs are you passing on for a roster spot for Freeman??

With Jackson hurt, Jacquizz Rodgers got most of the RB touches with the first team in the 3rd preseason game, which most people have seemingly ignored. In every auction I've done since, Freeman was going for 4-8 bucks, while I was scooping Rodgers up for a buck. :shrug:

Rookie fever clouded peoples judgement. Hes a fourth round rookie on a contending team. He was never realistically expected to be number two this season. Rotoworld just overhyped the guy.

At some point this season freeman is going to get work and he is going to shine. Mark it down.

Not a believer in Freeman at all. Hype machine was off the rails a month ago. Now it's finally settling down. Quizz Rogers has more value in redraft. Not saying Rogers will always have more value than Freeman in the case of an SJAX injury. I could see a full blown RBBC in that case.

He's not a starter for me. I'm willing to wait. But I expect to see him get an opportunity this season, and I think he'll take advantage of it. We'll see, but I haven't lost any confidence in him at all.

The same owners that were taking him Round 8 will be the ones dropping him within 4 weeks because he's doing nothing. He could perform at some point this season, I just don't think the ones that drafted him so early will be the ones to benefit.

Good talent. Just was highly overdrafted by owners in many leagues I was in IMO. (You don't have that clear cut Year 1 injury PT path as someone like Hyde/Hill/Knile/etc..... do). Quizz, if not injured himself, clearly will have a role on the team.

If he were a late round pick, great. I think those taking him over the likes of SJax/FJax/Woodhead (PPR) as I saw, are a bit crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he were a late round pick, great. I think those taking him over the likes of SJax/FJax/Woodhead (PPR) as I saw, are a bit crazy.
Guy who took Freeman one pick ahead of me, left SJAX for me to steal with the next pick. For the 10th round, I think SJAX is going to be a steal.

Speaking just about #'s....didnt the 3rd guy on the depth chart (Smith I think?) have amazing #'s as well? In addition to his actual #'s he had like a 70 yarder called back too...

Rodgers will have a role in the ATL offense because he is an excellent pass blocker. With their OL woes, they can't afford to have a poor blocking RB out there. He is also shifty enough to warrant getting a few carries.

Freeman looked really good to my untrained eye, but he needs to work on pass blocking.

Guy who took Freeman one pick ahead of me, left SJAX for me to steal with the next pick. For the 10th round, I think SJAX is going to be a steal.
I want you to be correct. Hell, I need you to be correct. I just can't see him being relevant for more than a few games. Sure hope I'm wrong, though.

I want you to be correct. Hell, I need you to be correct. I just can't see him being relevant for more than a few games. Sure hope I'm wrong, though.
Good luck with the hammy.

SJAX not even on the injury report. Don't even have to worry about the "probable" designation or GTD. He's full go.

SJAX not even on the injury report. Don't even have to worry about the "probable" designation or GTD. He's full go.
When he first pulled his hammy, someone on these boards suggested they just wanted to give Jackson training camp off. Sounds plausible to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you drafted Freeman with the expectation he would provide value in Week 1 you probably made a mistake, impatient owners will compound that mistake by dropping him in the first couple of weeks. I drafted him as a bench player with upside later in the season and will hold tight to see how things unfold over the first 6 weeks at the very least. Perhaps he becomes a non-entity this season but the fact a depth chart has him as 4th before the first game isn't an indication.

If you drafted Freeman with the expectation he would provide value in Week 1 you probably made a mistake, impatient owners will compound that mistake by dropping him in the first couple of weeks. I drafted him as a bench player with upside later in the season and will hold tight to see how things unfold over the first 6 weeks at the very least. Perhaps he becomes a non-entity this season but the fact a depth chart has him as 4th before the first game isn't an indication.
I'm seriously asking--Where else has thie been done? I get motivation and whatnot but 4th? The 2 played with the starters....the 3rd guy also had an amazing pre-season. Him being 4th seems legit to me. Maybe that changes in a couple of weeks or maybe it doesnt but on the surface this looks legit.

It's more just that everyone knows that Rodgers is nothing special; he's never stepped up to take a real hold on the lead role when Turner and Jackson have been out. Freeman has the skills to be that guy if given the chance, even in a committee with Quizz.

If you were taking him before Jackson in anything but a dynasty startup, you were definitely overvaluing him.

Freeman has the skills to be that guy if given the chance, even in a committee with Quizz.
Freeman has the skills to fill in for an injured starter, but he will not inspire the Falcons as a long term solution. In re-draft, I think he makes a decent hand-cuff for Jackson, if only he didn't have a higher adp. I typically like to take the handcuff after getting the starter.

Freeman has the skills to be that guy if given the chance, even in a committee with Quizz.
Freeman has the skills to fill in for an injured starter, but he will not inspire the Falcons as a long term solution. In re-draft, I think he makes a decent hand-cuff for Jackson, if only he didn't have a higher adp. I typically like to take the handcuff after getting the starter.
I agree, with a slightly rosier outlook for the future than you. I found him a very impressive runner in college and think they may have gotten a deal in him. I did draft him in three leagues, but well after Jackson in all of them.

cloppbeast said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
metoo said:
Dondante said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:
When he first pulled his hammy, someone on these boards suggested they just wanted to give Jackson training camp off. Sounds plausible to me.
That was me! I could tell he was pulling the classic T.O vet move.... no practice for me ....games only...i'll take it!

cloppbeast said:
That was me! I could tell he was pulling the classic T.O vet move.... no practice for me ....games only...i'll take it!
Looks like you called it. All of the sudden Jackson is perfectly fine, not even on the injury report.

Only own him in one league as a cuff to SJax and I don't even remotely mind that I "reached" for him in the 9th. Honestly, if you think Quizz would get the majority of the work in the event SJax went down you either a) have never watched Quizz and his sub 4YPC talent run b) didn't get a chance to watch Freeman run during preseason action or likely some combination of the two. In the event SJax goes down, you're going to want Freeman. The depth chart position is only a formality with SJax healthy.

I saw them both play and it's just my opinion from observation, but Quizz is undervalued in the fantasy world. I'm not saying he's SJAX's cuff. But I don't think Freeman is the cuff some people think he is going to be. If and when SJAX pulls a hammy, the load will be split and Quizz and Freeman vulturing each other's value. Plus, regardless if SJAX's is healthy, the Falcons are going to throw a ton. Their base defense is nickel for a reason. They know what's coming.

I saw them both play and it's just my opinion from observation, but Quizz is undervalued in the fantasy world. I'm not saying he's SJAX's cuff. But I don't think Freeman is the cuff some people think he is going to be. If and when SJAX pulls a hammy, the load will be split and Quizz and Freeman vulturing each other's value. Plus, regardless if SJAX's is healthy, the Falcons are going to throw a ton. Their base defense is nickel for a reason. They know what's coming.
Agreed. Rodgers is a good NFL player. Might not be a good fantasy option, but he can pass block very well, run ok, and catch passes well. That might not mean much for fantasy, but for an NFL team it is valuable.

No doubt there would be some kind of split, but if Freeman would get more than enough work to become fantasy relevant, much more so than Quizz. PFF has him ranked as their #1 RB for the preseason.

1. Devonta Freeman: ATL, +4.5

Breakdown: Some might know Freeman best from his appearances on Hard Knocks, but he has certainly been a dynamo with the ball in his hands for the Falcons averaging 5.1 yards per carry on his 16 attempts

Signature Play: ATL @ HST, Q4, 9:36. This play didn’t even count thanks to a penalty on the offense bringing it back, but Freeman was a blur, making moves and powering through tackles into the end zone.
He really was impressive IMO. If someone drops him, do not sleep on it, pick him up because an SJax soft tissue injury is always right around the corner.

No doubt there would be some kind of split, but if Freeman would get more than enough work to become fantasy relevant, much more so than Quizz. PFF has him ranked as their #1 RB for the preseason.

Breakdown: Some might know Freeman best from his appearances on Hard Knocks, but he has certainly been a dynamo with the ball in his hands for the Falcons averaging 5.1 yards per carry on his 16 attempts

Signature Play: ATL @ HST, Q4, 9:36. This play didn’t even count thanks to a penalty on the offense bringing it back, but Freeman was a blur, making moves and powering through tackles into the end zone.
He really was impressive IMO. If someone drops him, do not sleep on it, pick him up because an SJax soft tissue injury is always right around the corner.
The thing that stood out to me the most. There are a LOT of guys that look good in that situation.

Speaking as a Falcons fan:

1) Coaching staff is still enamored of Jackson. Feel he is an undisputed bell cow type. Whether that's misguided or not, it's what it is. They'll feed him 250-275 carries if healthy.

2) For all of Jacquizz' shortcomings as a runner, he's very, very good in pass protection. Coaching staff trusts him implicitly in those situations where it's required.

3) Antone Smith has really looked good as a big play producer. Enough so that as a veteran, I think they felt he earned the higher depth chart slot.

Freeman will have value if/when Jackson gets hurt or is unproductive, but as it stands today in Week 1, I suspect Freeman will not see much action.

DF was probably going too high, but the prevailing thinking s/b, if/when sjax gets hurt, they would initially spit time, but after a short period, it would become apparent that Freeman has some explosiveness that quizz doesn't, which would translate into some opportunities

Speaking as a Falcons fan:

1) Coaching staff is still enamored of Jackson. Feel he is an undisputed bell cow type. Whether that's misguided or not, it's what it is. They'll feed him 250-275 carries if healthy.

2) For all of Jacquizz' shortcomings as a runner, he's very, very good in pass protection. Coaching staff trusts him implicitly in those situations where it's required.

3) Antone Smith has really looked good as a big play producer. Enough so that as a veteran, I think they felt he earned the higher depth chart slot.

Freeman will have value if/when Jackson gets hurt or is unproductive, but as it stands today in Week 1, I suspect Freeman will not see much action.
These are my thoughts exactly.

I like how someone described it as "rookie fever". Every year this happens where people completely forget that there are capable veterans already holding many of these positions. You always have to look at the talent AND the opportunity to get an idea of what production you can expect as a fantasy owner. Yes, eventually talent will create an opportunity, but that's a great dynasty mindset and not a redraft one.

It's not all that unusual for teams to have the reliable vet listed #2, in case they need someone to finish a game without having had a full week's work. Makes sense to go with the guy who knows the team and playbook like the back of his hand...yet still have plans to go with the talented younger guy in the event of a long-term absence for the starter. Because then they can afford to give him huge chunks of practice reps with the first team, while still having the reliable vet on hand to spell him if things go sour.

How is Freeman in pass pro? I know he absolutely whiffed a block on the punt team and got chewed out for it on Hard Knocks. The Falcons are a passing team. If they don't trust him to protect Matt Ryan's pretty face he isn't going to see much playing time.

We Tigers said:
It's more just that everyone knows that Rodgers is nothing special; he's never stepped up to take a real hold on the lead role when Turner and Jackson have been out. Freeman has the skills to be that guy if given the chance, even in a committee with Quizz.

If you were taking him before Jackson in anything but a dynasty startup, you were definitely overvaluing him.
Quizz is what he is - a poor man's Sproles. Someone else will do the heavy lifting and Freeman is the only other back over 200 lbs.

How is Freeman in pass pro? I know he absolutely whiffed a block on the punt team and got chewed out for it on Hard Knocks. The Falcons are a passing team. If they don't trust him to protect Matt Ryan's pretty face he isn't going to see much playing time.
Yeah.

Beyond that, we are at the point where when a player doesn't beat out three vets for the #1 job, people are wondering if he's a bust. Patience is climbing my list of fantasy virtues.

He was a 4th round pick! With proven vets in front of him, that have all performed decent to very well in the NFL.

DF owners are count on the following:

1 SJAX gets hurt or is ineffective (likely)

2 DF outperforms Quizz in a split backfield (I see as likely)

3 DF is adequate enough in pass pro to justify putting his natural running ability onto the field

DF owners are count on the following:

1 SJAX gets hurt or is ineffective (likely)

2 DF outperforms Quizz in a split backfield (I see as likely)

3 DF is adequate enough in pass pro to justify putting his natural running ability onto the field
This would be the primary stumbling block for him. I don't imagine they want to roll with Quizz/Smith if SJax is hurt.

i drafted DF late just for the upside potential WHEN sjax gets hurt. if sjax doens't get hurt or DF splits time with quizz and therefore has low value, then i lose nothing and can drop him for WW fodder.

the final rounds of the draft are to take fliers and usually that's on WR3-4s or back up RBs where one injury can change everything...

i'll wait...

They (PFF) also rated him negatively in pass protection. That'll keep him on the bench until he can improve.

They (PFF) also rated him negatively in pass protection. That'll keep him on the bench until he can improve.
Can this only be seen by those with access to the "premium stats"?

Can this only be seen by those with access to the "premium stats"?
I believe so.

Users who are viewing this thread