What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dear NFL -- Move Thursday Night Football to London on Sunday (TIA) (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
TNF completely sucks. Sunday morning football is fantastic. That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought you meant should move the Thursday night games to London. Which actually could possibly work if you give the teams the bye week before.

Example

Week 7 Bye

Week 8 Thursday Game in London (11 days after Week 6 game)

Week 9 Sunday (10 days after game in London).

Sunday morning football is a bad idea I totally would approve of :) Pancakes and football. I remember this from my time in Seattle.

-QG

The NFL will probably do both.

NFL owners like money, no matter what it does to the product on the field. Why give up anything?

SMF is awesome as a person on the East Coast. What do the people on the West Coast think?
not many people are tuning in at 6:30 - which makes this arrangement rather unappealing from a ratings perspective.
That's why you put some B-league matchup like they did today. If the Lions and Birds play today at 1PM they draw a lower rating then playing the national game Sunday morning, even without the west coasters. Bigger ratings means more ad dollars.

getting 0 televised afternoon games in some cities for a game that starts before the sun rises is a poor trade off

In the scenario where the NFL wants a franchise in London, then:

(1) sure, this can be sold to the networks as up to a a max of an 8-game standalone package; an incremental product that would take away slightly from the Sunday afternoon package as TNF did.

(2) If the London franchise is either via expansion or if it's Jacksonville moving, then there is no to very little value lost in dollar-value from the Sunday afternoon package; nearly 100% of the revenue of this new package would go to the league. The loss of eyeballs for the afternoon package would only come from the opponent side of the equation; i.e. assume London in is the Giants division. The one time a year the Giants are in London and on SMF, then the 1pm/4pm package would lose one of the biggest markets' eyeballs for an afternoon. That means something, yes, but not a whole lot.

(3) the value of the London franchise would get an immediate boost as no other team would have with maximum exposure via 8 national/international TV games

(4) The first big caveat here is that the London franchise would need to sell its seats like no other franchise given its place in the spotlight. Looking at an empty stadium every other weekend on national/international television wouldnt be tolerable.

(5) If the London team isnt competitive for whatever reason, then that would drag down the package. Every other package mitigates risk of clunkers through diversity of teams in the package and/or through flexing. No such options would be available here. I suppose one option for risk mitigation would be to front-load London's home schedule a little bit.

(6) Also...playing west coast teams is difficult home or away; putting travel aside since that will get solved and focusing only on gametimes, you'd have to make all games vs the west coast teams, home or away, part of the Sunday afternoon package and start either at (1) 1pm Pacific/4pm eastern/9PM GMT(late for London) or (2) 10am Pacific/1pm eastern/6pm GMT (early for the west coast teams). So the package probably wouldnt be a full 8 games due to this.

NFL is not the assured most popular thing on TV anymore-Sun night, Mon night, or Thursday.

NFL is not the assured most popular thing on TV anymore-Sun night, Mon night, or Thursday.
By what metric? It's been murdering everything except the walking dead debut.
Look it up
I think all that matters is there are willing sellers and *very* willing buyers...everything else is details. I mean Fox may love Chris Wallace and CBS may upset a lot of people by displacing Sunday Morning....but both networks would step over their own mothers to get a SMF package.

Look it up
Ok sure:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/21/tv-ratings-broadcast-top-25-sunday-night-football-tops-week-4-with-adults-18-49-with-total-viewers/317766/

Football is killing everything. Even college and post-game shows. 5 out of the top-6 spots with 18-49.

Care to share with anybody WTF you are talking about. Because you're wrong.

I love this idea. Sunday morning football from London was awesome today. I would definitely tune in every week.

But as usual the left coasters will screw up a good thing.

I don't care where it's at London, USA, Australia, Texas, Mars, as long as it's around 10am EST, then that's perfect. TODAY HAS BEEN AWESOME.

I don't care where it's at London, USA, Australia, Texas, Mars, as long as it's around 10am EST, then that's perfect. TODAY HAS BEEN AWESOME.
No doubt today was a game-changer.

I hate TNF, but if the NFL does two things I'll never bit*h about schedules again:

1) Make SMF permanent

2) Schedule a minimum of 5 games in the 4pm Eastern window. Today we got lucky with a couple good games in the 4pm window, but most weeks it puts you to sleep.

I always wish there were at least four 4pm, some sundays there are and it's great. Even more unrealistic but I was thinking, take away TNF and add one 10am EST game and one 11:30pm EST game. so the east coast would get SMF and the west coast would get a true prime time night game. I would stay up for all 18 hours of football, it'll never happen but i'd love it.

....take away TNF and add one 10am EST game and one 11:30pm EST game.
Sounds like you're looking for a team in both London and Honolulu. Im 100% fine with that...I loved the Saturday midnight Rainbow games that I used to get on Fox Sports West 2,

but I think we're only getting London.

Sounds like you're looking for a team in both London and Honolulu. Im 100% fine with that...I loved the Saturday midnight Rainbow games that I used to get on Fox Sports West 2,

Or just a game at 11pm EST in California and a 10am EST game in Carolina. Like I said, unlikely. I'll never see it.

Premier said:
Bri said:
Premier said:
Bri said:
Look it up
Ok sure:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/21/tv-ratings-broadcast-top-25-sunday-night-football-tops-week-4-with-adults-18-49-with-total-viewers/317766/

Football is killing everything. Even college and post-game shows. 5 out of the top-6 spots with 18-49.

Care to share with anybody WTF you are talking about. Because you're wrong.
You pointed out the Walking Dead beating SNF.

Where is MNF in your link?

Did the premiere of The Voice and Big Bang Theory affect it at all?

For the week- Doesn't your zap2it link show two NCIS shows beating all but one evening football game?

Or just a game at 11pm EST in California and a 10am EST game in Carolina. Like I said, unlikely. I'll never see it.
You simply should not crush the 4pm window anymore than TNF already has.

The most under-reported part of the NFL scheduling problems is how they've driven men to mow their lawns at 4pm due to having too few 4pm games....that are swings and misses.

I loved going to my buddeis house at 9am and having BACON & EGSS & BEER.

Do it every week I say,

Heck give the West coast a 10:00 pm EST kick off every week too, play it in Tokoyo for all I care!

LETS DO THIS

Once they expand to 48 teams in the next 5 yrs they'll have 2 Thursdays games and 2 or 3 Sunday morning games.

Heck give the West coast a 10:00 pm EST kick off every week too, play it in Tokoyo for all I care!
The 4pm time-slot is already decimated....some weeks just 2 games.

The NFL puts the whole country to sleep at 4pm some weeks
That's the NFL and network's choice and its a poor decision. Some weeks there are 9 early games and 3 late. Just stupid IMO especially when they are trying to sell people the all the games on DTV

That's the NFL and network's choice and its a poor decision. Some weeks there are 9 early games and 3 late. Just stupid IMO especially when they are trying to sell people the all the games on DTV
They could go 1 morning game and 5-7 1pm & 5-6 4pm's depending on bye weeks.

10am EST is just too early on the West Coast for that to be more than once in a while/season. Waking up when it's still dark out was actually quite annoying.

You simply should not crush the 4pm window anymore than TNF already has.

The most under-reported part of the NFL scheduling problems is how they've driven men to mow their lawns at 4pm due to having too few 4pm games....that are swings and misses.
I would rather ditch Thursday and Sunday Night football. The 4pm games on Sunday used to be my favorite games. Then by 7:30 all the results are in and you can relax. They need to schedule a couple of east coast times zone games at 4 to balance out the schedule.

Bri said:
Premier said:
Bri said:
Look it up
It beat the World Series by 39% last night.
Didn't even realize the WS had started. Must explain why I didn't have to listen to the blowhard Joe Buck. Thank God for small favors

Thought you meant should move the Thursday night games to London. Which actually could possibly work if you give the teams the bye week before.

Example

Week 7 Bye

Week 8 Thursday Game in London (11 days after Week 6 game)

Week 9 Sunday (10 days after game in London).

Sunday morning football is a bad idea I totally would approve of :) Pancakes and football. I remember this from my time in Seattle.

-QG
Who wouldn't love a 9:30 AM game on thursday?

Oh wait, everyone.

They could do Thursday night game, then london, then bye. But it's gonna be rough.

Get ready to rake some leaves at 530pm EST today. Snore-fest yet again...

It's just stupid/lazy not to shift 1 or 2 more games to 4pm today.

Users who are viewing this thread