What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DeAndre Smelter, WR San Francisco 49ers (1 Viewer)

thecatch said:
That should be concerning for those who think he's going to be ready to bump some of these other guys of the roster this year as well, no?
  Being unable to practice is never a good thing.

Having said that, this is OTAs, not even mini camps, and not even training camp.  Sooo.........how concerned am I going to be?  Not much.  If he can't run full in training camp, that is a little more concerning.  

Really, I posted what I did to clarify your link, which I think a normal person, without clicking, would conclude he was participating, and was disappointing.  Which is not NEARLY the same thing as it being disappointing that he wasn't healthy.  And not disappointing to a coach, but to some guy.  

So:  No, not concerning.  

49ers sophomore WR DeAndre Smelter (knee) said he "feels great."
A fourth-round pick last year, Smelter spent his rookie season on the sidelines rehabbing a torn ACL. A "nagging" injury kept him from participating in full for the entire offseason program, but it sounds like he plans to be ready for training camp. Smelter needs a strong showing to earn a roster spot, let alone a role.

Source: 49ers.com

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat says second-year WR DeAndre Smelter "seems to be Quinton Patton's primary competition for the starting split-end job."
After a slow spring and a hamstring tweak early in training camp, Smelter appears to be coming on a bit. He shined at Monday's session, beating Jimmie Ward and Kenneth Acker on quick slants before catching a tunnel screen from Colin Kaepernick. If Smelter can stay healthy, he has as much upside as any receiver on the 49ers' roster. Patton is not exactly stiff competition.

Related: Quinton Patton

Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat 
Aug 1 - 4:49 PM

This will be an interesting situation to monitor in the preseason. So far so good I guess.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/95624-deandre-smelter-emerges-starting-candidate/

"DeAndre Smelter caught a pass on a wide receiver screen to the left side and showed nice burst after the catch," said Joe Fann of 49ers Media on Monday. "[Garrett] Celek did well to seal off the sideline while Joe Staley pulled to lead the first-year receiver up-field."

Grant Cohn of the Press Democrat said that Smelter played split-end and made three catches during drills on Monday. "First, he beat Jimmie Ward with a quick slant," said Cohn. "Then, he beat Kenneth Acker with a quick slant. And then he caught a tunnel screen pass thrown by Colin Kaepernick. By the end of practice, Smelter was playing with the starters. He seems to be Quinton Patton's primary competition for the starting split-end job."

"[Smelter] looked to be full go on Sunday and came up with a catch from Thad Lewis," reported Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee following Sunday's practice. "At 220-plus pounds, Smelter is by far the most powerful receiver on the squad and he looks it when he's on the field."

Barrows liked Rogers over Smelter as of a couple days ago, but Rogers just tore his ACL. Should greatly improve Smelter's chance of making the team. 

Not even mentioned here -

(RotoWire) Patton was listed as a starting wideout along with Torrey Smith and Bruce Ellington on the 49ers' unofficial posted depth chart.

Analysis: As the 49ers' preseason opener looms, Patton is thus a candidate to to see a key role in the team's offense alongside Torrey Smith, with Ellington also in the mix on that front. Per knbr.com, coach Chip Kelly "ran close to 65 percent of his formations with three wide receivers last season" in Philly, which suggests that the trio could all see their share of snaps in 2016. That said, Jerome Simpson could make a bid to enter that conversation, considering his strong effort in training camp thus far.

He's basically a rookie. I'd like for him to win the job, but I'll settle for him making the roster and showing improvement.

On that note, Patton is a guy that I also have on a lot of rosters. I don't think you make the 53 for an NFL team for three years in a row unless you have some talent, so he's another one who could do something in this opportunity. We know that Smith isn't a #1 and that someone else will catch some passes. If this is the Kaep show again then SF may be near the bottom of the NFL in attempts/game this season though.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10430/deandre-smelter

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat predicts second-year WR DeAndre Smelter will spend all of 2016 on injured reserve.

In and out of practice since OTA season, Smelter is "the invisible man" at 49ers workouts, according to beat writer Grant Cohn. Smelter tore his ACL in his final season at Georgia Tech and has since struggled to maintain health for an extended stretch. Smelter is a deep league Dynasty stash at best. Aug 12 - 5:42 PM

Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat

He's going to be a roster cutdown drop for me in a league or two.  Could end up regretting it, but willing to let someone else clog their roster at this point.

I've asked 49ers beat reporter Matt Barrows to confirm the varying reports/rumors.

All I could find is message board posts speculating without any attributable facts as noted on The Press Democrat 49ers webpage.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to take seriously a report from a writer that still doesn't know that there is no separate "IR/designated to return" list.  Makes me think the writer is just taking guesses at stuff and has no real source.
:lmao: He's been covering the team for 20 years and the three main beat guys are all saying variations of the same thing ... But sure. 

:lmao: He's been covering the team for 20 years and the three main beat guys are all saying variations of the same thing ... But sure. 
I guess it's too much to ask that reporters assigned to cover an NFL team for decades actually, you know, cover the NFL too?

49ers WR DeAndre Smelter (hamstring) will miss the third preseason game.
Last year's fourth-round redshirt simply can't get healthy. Multiple 49ers beat writers have suggested Smelter will spend another year on injured reserve.

Source: Sacramento Bee 
Aug 24 - 8:21 PM

He hasn't played yet but I'm still hopeful for him, also read that the 9ers GM has said he isn't going to IR because they want to see him play, from the box score for the game last night it doesn't look like it would be hard for him to get a great chance to produce as no one else is, all he has to do is get healthy. Hopefully he's able to get some time in the next game or at leasts practices the whole week

At one point on a dynasty team, I had Eric Rogers, Bruce Ellington, and Smelter.

It'll feel good to clear myself of this entire team.

49ers waived WR DeAndre Smelter with an injury settlement.
It ends Smelter's time in San Francisco after GM Trent Baalke used a 2015 fourth-round pick on him knowing full well that Smelter was coming off a torn ACL and unlikely to play as a rookie. This summer, hamstring issues did Smelter in, and he's now free to sign elsewhere once he clears waivers.

Related: 49ers

Source: CSN Bay Area 
Sep 5 - 6:52 PM

Seems like a telling sign that they aren't making any apparent attempt to keep him around. You'd understand cutting him given his inability to stay healthy, but they seem to want no part of him. I'll probably drop him soon in dynasties, but might wait to see where he lands (if anywhere).

I have Quinton Patton on a lot of teams and he might be the main beneficiary of Ellington/Smelter/Rogers being out of the picture. I'm not expecting much from this Niner passing game though. Hyde should be good. McDonald could be. Torrey will have his usual big games surrounded by lots of stinkers.

FYI the Niners have signed him to the practice squad.

Not exactly cause for rushing out and grabbing him, but if you were a believer like me then you might want to kick the tires.

FYI the Niners have signed him to the practice squad.

Not exactly cause for rushing out and grabbing him, but if you were a believer like me then you might want to kick the tires.
I've held onto him in a large league, each week thinking I should probably just drop him.  But the league has deep enough benches that I can dump my 6th rb or 5th safety instead.  Might have to drop him soon with a lot of players on bye in the coming weeks. 

Is he expected to make the team soon?  They could use him if he looks good on the practice squad. 

I've held onto him in a large league, each week thinking I should probably just drop him.  But the league has deep enough benches that I can dump my 6th rb or 5th safety instead.  Might have to drop him soon with a lot of players on bye in the coming weeks. 

Is he expected to make the team soon?  They could use him if he looks good on the practice squad. 
Nobody knows, but at least they're taking a look at him. If he gets healthy and impresses, maybe he can get onto the active roster before the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread