What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas Cowboys Tight End Battle: Swaim, Jarwin, Schultz, and Rico (2 Viewers)

Who Will Be The Opening Day Starting TE For The Cowboys In 2018?

• Total voters
Gathers has the physical attributes to be successful at TE; however, this could be a make or break year for him.  Despite his impressive size, Gathers is overpowered as a blocker, and, if this has not been improved significantly, he will prove to be too big of a liability to be anything more than an occasional receiver in Dallas' run-first offense, and he could be out of the league in short order.  His blend of size, speed, balance, soft hands and athleticism make him a potential matchup nightmare as a receiver, but there is more to the position than that, and the coaches have challenged him to step up.  I am concerned about Gathers' commitment level.  Hopefully he can put his rap career on hold and focus on the task at hand.  This preseason will be telling.  If Gathers put the time in during the last year toward strength conditioning and blocking technique, he could challenge for the starting job.  The comments from the coaching staff suggest that has not been the case, however.

Fair enough but that seems like a thin premise to call the guy a special athlete, particularly among his peers.
I was sarcastically quoting Football Jones who is one of his biggest advocates. I am like you, unconvinced that 2 good performances in preseason games, where at least one was against the back-ups of the opposing team, is enough to predict great things. 

I was sarcastically quoting Football Jones who is one of his biggest advocates. I am like you, unconvinced that 2 good performances in preseason games, where at least one was against the back-ups of the opposing team, is enough to predict great things. 
It was the Hall of Fame game, the least important preseason game every season. I couldn't even find the stats for that game on NFL.com Admittedly I didn't look too hard but preseason week 1 stats were readily available.

The second game was preseason week 1, his first catch came with 2:45 left in the 2nd quarter.

Definitely playing with and against the backups of the backups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I wasn't sure why I cared about Uncle Rico other than the comedy value of anyone named Rico. But the conversation about him intrigued me so I jumped in.

I decided to look deeper into the guy some people are calling a freakish athlete. 

According to his NFL page in 2016 he ran a 4.75 40, had a 115" broad jump and a 4.56 short shuttle. Those numbers ranked 8th, 8th & 10th among his draft class among TEs.

He was signed, cut and given a reserve/futures contract.

As near as I can tell virtually all of the hype around him is because of a 3 catch, 59 yard, 1 TD performance in the 2017 HoF game and a 4 catch, 47 yard, 1 TD performance in 2017 pre-season week 1.

That's it. That is all he has ever done. No college football, no high school football, no "freakish" measurables. Nada, zilch, bupkis.

Serious question: What am I missing?
For sure, super small sample size. I think a lot of it came from Michael Irvin and how he described Gathers from seeing him at the Training Complex.

He runs extremely well for a guy his size. You see him in the field and the way he's running and it's hard to realize he's 285. It's not until he goes up against a 200 pound DB that you see the difference. 

Granted, Irvin is the king of hyperbole. But I think a lot of it started here. 

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/771721129568251904

For sure, super small sample size. I think a lot of it came from Michael Irvin and how he described Gathers from seeing him at the Training Complex.

He runs extremely well for a guy his size. You see him in the field and the way he's running and it's hard to realize he's 285. It's not until he goes up against a 200 pound DB that you see the difference. 

Granted, Irvin is the king of hyperbole. But I think a lot of it started here. 

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/771721129568251904
Yeah, that's a famous play for Rico. A lot of fans started to hype him up after that.

I hope you're right because he has been taking up a roster spot in almost all of my dynasty leagues for awhile now.
Like I mentioned earlier, Rico is essentially just a stash at this time. There’s too many unknowns for me to be high on him as a true FF asset. Keep that in mind.

That said, it would significantly help matters if the Cowboys use Rico correctly & aren’t stubborn about forcing him into the traditional in-line TE role. We’ll see.

Like I mentioned earlier, Rico is essentially just a stash at this time. There’s too many unknowns for me to be high on him as a true FF asset. Keep that in mind.

That said, it would significantly help matters if the Cowboys use Rico correctly & aren’t stubborn about forcing him into the traditional in-line TE role. We’ll see.
Use him correctly in the eyes of his fantasy football owners who know more about him then the Cowboys?  

The cowboys are trying to win games and oftentimes us fantasy football players want what scores us the most points.  Just because having Rico in the role not in the traditional in-line TE role would help him score more fantasy points doesn't mean it helps the cowboys win more games.

Again, you have to put it into context, but Rico just didn’t excel in the 2 preseason games, he was terrorizing the D in practices. There was a real buzz about him in training camp.

When you consider his size-to-athletic ratio along with the fact he dominated on the practice field & in a couple preaseason games, you surely get why there’s hype around this kid, ESPECIALLY with the Cowboys needing a playmaking receiver.

You simply couldn’t ask for a better deep sleeper prospect, but I must reiterate there’s way too many unknowns for anyone to pound the table for him. 

It won’t surprise anyone if Rico busts, including myself. However, the main reason behind the hype is this is a FFers dream hold. Super-low cost (typically free last season) & a super-high ceiling. That is THE attraction. 

Use him correctly in the eyes of his fantasy football owners who know more about him then the Cowboys?  

The cowboys are trying to win games and oftentimes us fantasy football players want what scores us the most points.  Just because having Rico in the role not in the traditional in-line TE role would help him score more fantasy points doesn't mean it helps the cowboys win more games.
Rico isn’t a traditional in-line TE prospect so they need to use him in a different way at least until he develops further.

Some coaching staffs are more flexible in doing stuff like that & some aren’t. They’re revamping their offense a bit & have a focus on getting more creative so we’ll see.

I don't believe anyone is predicting great things, LOL. If they are, I missed it.

Guys like STEADY, Johnny, & some other FFers I'm sure I'm missing, along with myself, simply love Rico's upside, especially at last season's price which was essentially free.

Nobody I've seen or heard is pounding the table for Rico. Way too many unknowns & that's even if he stays on a developing path.

The real reason for the hype is Rico is one of those rare deep sleepers whose potential production-to-cost ratio could be a real difference-maker for your team if things work out. It's a huge advantage to gain a top player without spending a valuable asset(s). That's why Rico has some people excited, not because he's anywhere close to a sure thing.

Again, you have to put it into context, but Rico just didn’t excel in the 2 preseason games, he was terrorizing the D in practices. There was a real buzz about him in training camp.

When you consider his size-to-athletic ratio along with the fact he dominated on the practice field & in a couple preaseason games, you surely get why there’s hype around this kid, ESPECIALLY with the Cowboys needing a playmaking receiver.

You simply couldn’t ask for a better deep sleeper prospect, but I must reiterate there’s way too many unknowns for anyone to pound the table for him. 

It won’t surprise anyone if Rico busts, including myself. However, the main reason behind the hype is this is a FFers dream hold. Super-low cost (typically free last season) & a super-high ceiling. That is THE attraction. 
If good ol' Rico scores half as many TDs as you have posts in this thread, he will be fantasy gold.   :thumbup:

He's got about 250 pages and two more 200+ threads before he can carry Michael's forum-jock...
We're getting close.  Somehow debating Dallas' starting TE who likely won't even be draftable in redraft, has half as many posts in a week than the entire Cowboys offseason thread has in 5 months.  How is this possible!   Half of the thread is 1 or 2 people saying how "he has enormous potential but we'll have to wait and see" over and over.  Not sure what else is really to discuss about it, there's already threads on each of these players individually.  Hurry up and make some cuts Dallas!

We're getting close.  Somehow debating Dallas' starting TE who likely won't even be draftable in redraft, has half as many posts in a week than the entire Cowboys offseason thread has in 5 months.  How is this possible!   Half of the thread is 1 or 2 people saying how "he has enormous potential but we'll have to wait and see" over and over.  Not sure what else is really to discuss about it, there's already threads on each of these players individually.  Hurry up and make some cuts Dallas!

You Philly fans talk about the Cowboys so much there’s nothing left for us real Cowboys fans to discuss. 

I am looking forward to your breakdown of the Cowboys OTAs. 

Someone's gotta discuss them, you guys sure don't. 
 I’m pretty sure that has everything to do with any time we post something about the Cowboys you guys come in and start rolling your eyes and acting pretentious as if youre the Patriots. You guys have basically turned into 90s cowboy fans. Congrats?

I’d love to have a good football discussion with you guys But some of you are just as delusional as the Cowboys guys who wear their Cowboys goggles.

I’m pretty sure that has everything to do with any time we post something about the Cowboys you guys come in and start rolling your eyes and acting pretentious as if youre the Patriots. You guys have basically turned into 90s cowboy fans. Congrats?
really?  I don't think you've spent enough time around 'us' if you think we're pretentious.  Far from it.  Celebrating our first title, sure... it's fun and doesn't last forever, so tying to enjoy it.  But pretentious?  You won't find many posters from our board acting cocky without being provoked.

really?  I don't think you've spent enough time around 'us' if you think we're pretentious.  Far from it.  Celebrating our first title, sure... it's fun and doesn't last forever, so tying to enjoy it.  But pretentious?  You won't find many posters from our board acting cocky without being provoked.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I’m a little busy now and I’d rather do this from a laptop than my phone so I’ll see if I can dig up a few of the more egregious  post later today.

To be fair I doubt many if any will be yours.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I’m a little busy now and I’d rather do this from a laptop than my phone so I’ll see if I can dig up a few of the more agree just post later today.

To be fair I doubt many if any will be yours.
Fair enough. 

My original point about this thread wasn't a jab at the cowboys.  It was a jab that I couldn't believe this discussion was so long.  I would have said the same if we were talking about the Jaguars' 4th tight end for 150 posts in a week too.

Fair enough. 

My original point about this thread wasn't a jab at the cowboys.  It was a jab that I couldn't believe this discussion was so long.  I would have said the same if we were talking about the Jaguars' 4th tight end for 150 posts in a week too.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. It’s bizarre to me that the Cowboys thread has no action and this thread about a topic that will more than likely have zero fantasy impact no matter who the starter is on ? 

Enough with the Cowfanboys vs Eaglefanboys (we all know Patriotfanboys are the worst).

Let's get back to talking about freakish measurables that are only getting freakier the longer Uncle Rico is exposed to Earth's yellow sun.

The only thing in Gathers' favor is those preseason games and Dallas not selecting a TE.  Every thing else is all arrows down, particularly the depth chart and the coack speak.  Then you hear talk about his music career and how he's not really worried about improving his blocking, comparing himself to Jimmy Graham and saying that's not really part of his game.   I think a lot of people are nailing it when they say he won't be able to reach his potential on this team.  

You and a few others are fine.

But I remember watching Biabreakable of all people take crap for daring to enter the eagles thread and not fellate the team last year.

That thread is the suck unless you're kissing the Eagles ###. You have to be able to see that
yeah I dont dare go into there after being ridiculed myself 

The only thing in Gathers' favor is those preseason games and Dallas not selecting a TE.  Every thing else is all arrows down, particularly the depth chart and the coack speak.  Then you hear talk about his music career and how he's not really worried about improving his blocking, comparing himself to Jimmy Graham and saying that's not really part of his game.   I think a lot of people are nailing it when they say he won't be able to reach his potential on this team.  
Dalton Schultz was drafted in the 4th round.

You and a few others are fine.

But I remember watching Biabreakable of all people take crap for daring to enter the eagles thread and not fellate the team last year.

That thread is the suck unless you're kissing the Eagles ###. You have to be able to see that
How could you not fellate the Eagles last year?  They had a remarkable season.

This thread is fine IMO (kinda fun too because we all recognize the absurdity of scouting Dallas TEs this year).

It's the four individual player threads where the situation becomes obnoxious.
Completely Agree.  I just can't believe it's still going with zero new info presented.  The battle for 3rd Tight End in Dallas is going to be one of the hottest topics this year in the shark pool :lol:

Judging by the voting, Rico Gathers is being lauded as the second coming of Jermichael Finley.  As a fantasy owner with some shares of Gathers, I am hopeful he shows enough development as a blocker that he can make the field, but I am not optimistic.  

If anyone truly fantasy relevant is going to come out of this situation, it will be Gathers. he has flashed dominant physical talent at the catch point and appears to be a natural as a receiver like other basketball convert TEs before him.

The problem is that the team seems to lack faith in him or otherwise have reservations.

There are murmurs that the team thinks he's too focused on a music career? I'm not sure what is really going on, but obviously even though he seemed ready to at least see if he could contribute as a receiver (plenty of teams have TEs who are barely adequate at blocking on their best plays and find a role for them), the Cowboys weren't willing to do that for Gathers.

Gathers is the only one I would be interested in for fantasy, but he is working against some forces beyond whether he has the good to contribute in the passing game. Jarwin has a lot of fans in the building. Schultz looks like a functional two-way guy. It feels like it will be a nasty for FF TEBC unless the light bulb goes on for Gathers in the team's eyes.
The bold line illustrates perfectly on my lack of faith in Cowboys' coaching staff on player development on their playmakers.  Plus, they don't have innovative play-calling. 

What happened to Football Jones? The boy had a mad crush on Rico. I laughed when I saw this thread get bumped and saw Rico's name in the title.

Users who are viewing this thread