What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Credit Cards (1 Viewer)

How’s everyone’s CC churning coming along? I am still collecting AA points like crazy, now I just need to spend them. 

How’s everyone’s CC churning coming along? I am still collecting AA points like crazy, now I just need to spend them. 
Did 14 nights in 5 star places in europe last two weeks. 

AA miles are just my base level stuff. I only value at a half cent because flight redemptions are ####. 

Their hotel redemptions are fine I guess if you can get past the crap value. 

I'm still babying chase on my wifes side and slowly moving thru amex on mine. 

The whole churning thing is a bit beyond me. I'm starting it somewhat, but I'm seeing people on Reddit saying they have like a million Chase points after 6 months. I have no clue how they are a) getting approved for all those cards in that timeframe and b) racking up that many points that fast.

Even if you max out all the sign up bonuses including the Chase business Ink, it'd be like 500k tops. Are people manufactured spending 500k worth of points by buying visa gift cards and converting them back to cash or what?

I'm really just trying to figure out how to get to ~500k Chase points within 3 years for business class tickets to Taiwan. I'm not even sure how I'm going to manage that, especially since I screwed up and didn't double dip the CSR and CSP.

The whole churning thing is a bit beyond me. I'm starting it somewhat, but I'm seeing people on Reddit saying they have like a million Chase points after 6 months. I have no clue how they are a) getting approved for all those cards in that timeframe and b) racking up that many points that fast.

Even if you max out all the sign up bonuses including the Chase business Ink, it'd be like 500k tops. Are people manufactured spending 500k worth of points by buying visa gift cards and converting them back to cash or what?

I'm really just trying to figure out how to get to ~500k Chase points within 3 years for business class tickets to Taiwan. I'm not even sure how I'm going to manage that, especially since I screwed up and didn't double dip the CSR and CSP.
I think my biggest issue with CC churning is that due to all of the data breaches, I had to freeze my credit. If I did the churning, I'd have to constantly unfreeze/freeze often. Sounds like a pain.

500k is the right figure.

Chase is not the only card vendor out there.  

A few points here:

• Given how easy it is to get AA miles, even if you for some reason can't get a J redemption on Saaver I would target AA for the flights.  Between you and your wife every 45 days you should be able to pull in 75k AA miles on Biz Cards.  Citi doesn't give the slightest #### about manufactured spending if you are in a hurry.  This keeps the cards off your accounts listing but if you want to double this up and add personal cards you can ramp this up fast.
  • UR are best for simple redemptions to hotels you can't build currency on IMO.  At 1.5CPP you should have a budget of easily $7500.  
  • Use AwardMapper to find hotel properties that you can build currency on.  This will help you locate the right currency you want to build.
  • Don't forget Amex. Build a relationship there and begin the process of Biz earning MR cards and try to get the 100k personal plat at some point.  

I just finished getting AA sign-up bonus and I'm not using the card anymore. Should I cancel and re-up? 

I think my biggest issue with CC churning is that due to all of the data breaches, I had to freeze my credit. If I did the churning, I'd have to constantly unfreeze/freeze often. Sounds like a pain.
Are you making ice cream? 

I just finished getting AA sign-up bonus and I'm not using the card anymore. Should I cancel and re-up? 
You will need a mailer code to sign up again. For personal cards there is no reason to cancel. For biz there is. 

If under 5/24 you should stick to biz only for now. 

You will need a mailer code to sign up again. For personal cards there is no reason to cancel. For biz there is. 

If under 5/24 you should stick to biz only for now. 
I don't have a business, so is that a problem?  My current plan is to cycle through the hotels and airlines bonus and I now have my wife doing the same. If I do 2 per year then I stay below 5/24.  So for example, year 1, I do Marriott & American; year 2, Hilton and United and then repeat. Does that seem reasonable? 

A few points here:

• Given how easy it is to get AA miles, even if you for some reason can't get a J redemption on Saaver I would target AA for the flights.  Between you and your wife every 45 days you should be able to pull in 75k AA miles on Biz Cards. Citi doesn't give the slightest #### about manufactured spending if you are in a hurry.  This keeps the cards off your accounts listing but if you want to double this up and add personal cards you can ramp this up fast.
  • UR are best for simple redemptions to hotels you can't build currency on IMO.  At 1.5CPP you should have a budget of easily $7500.  
  • Use AwardMapper to find hotel properties that you can build currency on.  This will help you locate the right currency you want to build.
  • Don't forget Amex. Build a relationship there and begin the process of Biz earning MR cards and try to get the 100k personal plat at some point.  
Any links or info on how that works?

That looks like it could work as I would need a total of ~420k miles for 3 roundtrip business flights from JFK to TPE on a great airline.

I don't have a business, so is that a problem?  My current plan is to cycle through the hotels and airlines bonus and I now have my wife doing the same. If I do 2 per year then I stay below 5/24.  So for example, year 1, I do Marriott & American; year 2, Hilton and United and then repeat. Does that seem reasonable? 
No.  For the VAST majority of casual churners they should ONLY be getting business cards.   It has nearly no impact short term, and absolutely no impact long term to your credit.  If you sell anything on ebay, or are even thinking about it you have a business.  I've picked up 9 biz cards this year and never drew a question once about the biz.  

What you are talking about is pretty casual with low velocity.  If the velocity you need to get your goals is that low then you should have no issue.  Make sure your redemptions can be met with that level of velocity.  

For AA the cycle is this: (Biz only)

• Day 1 - Apply using public offer.Try to finish the MSR by Day 60. 

Keep in mind the card won't show up for 14 days and the clock starts on Day 1.  

[*]On Day 60 send message and ask to have your credit line dropped to 3000

• This affects your ability to get the next card

[*]On day 80 cancel the card

• Only required for biz apps

[*]On day 95 apply again using a mailer code which you can buy on reddit, or try to get one yourself.

• Signup your dog, your mom, your plants for AAdvantage accounts with Biz checked.

Repeat.  Depending on your situation your wife goes at the same time, or space the cards a bit to give you time to not stress about MSR.  Citi doesn't care about gift cards so just fire those up and convert to money orders if you want to do it that way.

You can more than double the velocity if you don't care about 5/24 status with chase using personal cards which can be churned every 60 days.   This will affect your ability to get other vendors cards, but if you've already picked up maybe 10-20 cards from other vendors often times this is your only option.

I would point out that personal cards tend to have lower minimum spends and higher bonuses than biz cards as a general rule.

Finding the right mix that works for your goals, your attention span, and your lifestyle is critical.  

Start slow. It's a marathon, not a sprint. 

A few points here:

• Given how easy it is to get AA miles, even if you for some reason can't get a J redemption on Saaver I would target AA for the flights.  Between you and your wife every 45 days you should be able to pull in 75k AA miles on Biz Cards.  Citi doesn't give the slightest #### about manufactured spending if you are in a hurry.  This keeps the cards off your accounts listing but if you want to double this up and add personal cards you can ramp this up fast.
Looks like my goal is 420k+ AA miles to fly Japan Airlines business class for 3 from JFK to Taipei and then likely combine 200k UR and Hyatt points to stay at the Grand Hyatt in Taipei at club level. Would be pretty cool since the purpose of the trip will be to take my daughter back to her birth country and that's the hotel we stayed in when we went over to get her (and also a great hotel).

Looks like my goal is 420k+ AA miles to fly Japan Airlines business class for 3 from JFK to Taipei and then likely combine 200k UR and Hyatt points to stay at the Grand Hyatt in Taipei at club level. Would be pretty cool since the purpose of the trip will be to take my daughter back to her birth country and that's the hotel we stayed in when we went over to get her (and also a great hotel).
That seems more than doable. I mean two inks and you are there on ur then add a reserve for the 1.5 multiple when you get close to the booking. 

Amex has some hyatt biz cards now you can do. 

I think best approach is list me your cards you or wife got in last 2 years and we just come up with a plan and you go spend money and get this trip done on JP Morgan's dime with enough left over to make it rain in vegas or something.

Haven't done much research on this but two thoughts maybe you can advise on.

We don't fly much right now, but that could change if we got free trips to Arizona once in a while (parents are moving out there soon). 

We currently get 2.5% cash back on every purchase for our usual card plus the usual 5% (doubled this year) on the discover categories. Can airline or hotel points be much better? 

We did the Wells Fargo deal this year but that's been it.

Haven't done much research on this but two thoughts maybe you can advise on.

We don't fly much right now, but that could change if we got free trips to Arizona once in a while (parents are moving out there soon). 

We currently get 2.5% cash back on every purchase for our usual card plus the usual 5% (doubled this year) on the discover categories. Can airline or hotel points be much better? 

We did the Wells Fargo deal this year but that's been it.
Hotel and Air based cards typically have much better initial bonuses, but aren't as good long term earners.  

I mean for a basic sapphire card you earn a minimum $750 in point value - $95 in fees for 4k spend.  That's 16.5% back accounting for the 4k you get just on 1x category spend.

Higher end chase cards are worth much more. The Ink right now is probably worth in the $1400-$1600 range on the same spend and fee (assuming you can find a mailer, or buy one reasonably) making the thing damn near 35% cash back with referrals, etc. etc., plus you can MS the #### out of Plastiq on it for more than the Plastiq fee runs making even the MSR pay out 12k points. 

TLDR: Play it right and the ink is basically a 40% off card right now.  

No.  For the VAST majority of casual churners they should ONLY be getting business cards.   It has nearly no impact short term, and absolutely no impact long term to your credit.  If you sell anything on ebay, or are even thinking about it you have a business.  I've picked up 9 biz cards this year and never drew a question once about the biz.  

What you are talking about is pretty casual with low velocity.  If the velocity you need to get your goals is that low then you should have no issue.  Make sure your redemptions can be met with that level of velocity.  

[*]On day 95 apply again using a mailer code which you can buy on reddit, or try to get one yourself.

• Signup your dog, your mom, your plants for AAdvantage accounts with Biz checked.

Repeat.  Depending on your situation your wife goes at the same time, or space the cards a bit to give you time to not stress about MSR.  Citi doesn't care about gift cards so just fire those up and convert to money orders if you want to do it that way.

You can more than double the velocity if you don't care about 5/24 status with chase using personal cards which can be churned every 60 days.   This will affect your ability to get other vendors cards, but if you've already picked up maybe 10-20 cards from other vendors often times this is your only option.
So when ink asks detailed questions I'm okay listing my wife's hobby sales (she vinyls shirts, mugs and stuff) but should I make sure to put more than $3,000 in revenue if I want to get the $500 bonus? 

What about the tax ID number?

Last edited by a moderator:
So when ink asks detailed questions I'm okay listing my wife's hobby sales (she vinyls shirts, mugs and stuff) but should I make sure to put more than $3,000 in revenue if I want to get the $500 bonus? 

What about the tax ID number?
You want to start with the ink preferred.  You have a few options.

• Purchase a mailer code from reddit, maybe cost you 25 bucks, not sure.  (this gets you in the 120k UR range)
  • Use your own referral code if you already have one of these cards
  • Go in branch to get a 100k offer, this might require you to make some #### up on the fly.  But it is a good way to get some bank bonuses while there of 500-900 bucks....
  • Use mine! https://www.referyourchasecard.com/21/KJOS4LOAPP
Of these I would recommend buying the mailer from reddit.  It will provide you the most value.  But hey, if you want to help a brother out I'm not turning it down ;-).

For your first CIP app do not use a tax ID number.  Leave that blank.  When you get your Second CIP, yes second, you will use a tax ID number.

I've done 11 Biz apps and not a single one has questioned me one bit.  Use your name for both DBA and Owner, and list self-proprietor or whatever they call that at chase, I forget right now.  Don't get cute and call it DeezNutz EBAY MONEY MONEY.  They might ask for a invoice or something with that.

Man, I'm continually amazed by the crap you find.

And by crap I mean complete awesomeness.

I think best approach is list me your cards you or wife got in last 2 years and we just come up with a plan and you go spend money and get this trip done on JP Morgan's dime with enough left over to make it rain in vegas or something.
This is what I need, like a churning travel agent.  I'll tell you where I want to go and how much I can spend on CCs per month, and you just tell me which cards to get and how to get it done. 

I gotta couple cards i don’t want anymore.  How badly does cancelling them affect my credit? Is there a better way?

Question.  What are the interest rates you guys have on your longstanding cards (not your churning rewards cards).

I havent looked in years, just looked, and my interest rate is like 27%.  Tell me this isn't normal.  I have had this card maybe 10 years or so, never missed a payment, and always pay in full.  

WOndering what most people's rates are so that when I call them I have some actual numbers to try and negotiate with.

Question.  What are the interest rates you guys have on your longstanding cards (not your churning rewards cards).

I havent looked in years, just looked, and my interest rate is like 27%.  Tell me this isn't normal.  I have had this card maybe 10 years or so, never missed a payment, and always pay in full.  

WOndering what most people's rates are so that when I call them I have some actual number to try and negotiate with.
That's insanely high. 

That's insanely high. 
Yeah, it's apparently just short of the maximum allowable interest rate.  Hooray.  I suppose it doesnt matter because I never pay interest, but still.  I might have to sometime, and dont want to pay through the nose and out my A##

Yeah, it's apparently just short of the maximum allowable interest rate.  Hooray.  I suppose it doesnt matter because I never pay interest, but still.  I might have to sometime, and dont want to pay through the nose and out my A##
My lowest interest rate one is a Visa through my local credit union.  I think it's 8 or 9 percent.  Like you said, it doesn't matter if you paying it off in full but still...if you ever do have a situation that you have carry a balance for a little bit...it's best not to get destroyed if possible.

WOndering what most people's rates are so that when I call them I have some actual numbers to try and negotiate with.
Yeah, you need to get that changed - my actively used ones are in the teens.  Not sure of exact number, haven't paid interest (knock on wood) in the better part of a decade.

My understanding on interest rates is they will continually creep up your rates on a 0 balance.  This is a shell game these card companies play because it makes their asset mix look good if lets say you carry an average balance of 3,000 against a 26% interest rate. Even if you pay it off, while you hold that balance they are allowed to make some reporting as if you just might let that balance ride.  

You can call and get rates pushed down, but you really should do this only before you intend to carry a balance, which is a really bad idea for a lot of reasons.  Keeping in mind there are a lot of cards with balance transfer options of 0% or quite low rates.

Teens I think for one, 11.9% for another. 

But the next time I pay interest will be the first. Ever, 24 years of having a CC.

Well they were nice enough to drop it down to around 22%.   :excited:

After I made the request she read some 500 word essay straight from a script, then asked if I needed anything else.  Maybe next time I will try some further negotiation post essay.

Well they were nice enough to drop it down to around 22%.   :excited:

After I made the request she read some 500 word essay straight from a script, then asked if I needed anything else.  Maybe next time I will try some further negotiation post essay.
I have to think that could have been managed through secure message or whatever.

You want to start with the ink preferred.  You have a few options.

• Purchase a mailer code from reddit, maybe cost you 25 bucks, not sure.  (this gets you in the 120k UR range)
  • Use your own referral code if you already have one of these cards
  • Go in branch to get a 100k offer, this might require you to make some #### up on the fly.  But it is a good way to get some bank bonuses while there of 500-900 bucks....
  • Use mine! https://www.referyourchasecard.com/21/KJOS4LOAPP
Of these I would recommend buying the mailer from reddit.  It will provide you the most value.  But hey, if you want to help a brother out I'm not turning it down ;-).

For your first CIP app do not use a tax ID number.  Leave that blank.  When you get your Second CIP, yes second, you will use a tax ID number.

I've done 11 Biz apps and not a single one has questioned me one bit.  Use your name for both DBA and Owner, and list self-proprietor or whatever they call that at chase, I forget right now.  Don't get cute and call it DeezNutz EBAY MONEY MONEY.  They might ask for a invoice or something with that.
So if one was going to partake in one of these how long would you expect it takes to get one from application?  I see on reddit a lot of comments about a 30 day decision period.  I have some travel around Christmas, so can knock out the spending pretty easily around then.  Want to time it properly.

So if one was going to partake in one of these how long would you expect it takes to get one from application?  I see on reddit a lot of comments about a 30 day decision period.  I have some travel around Christmas, so can knock out the spending pretty easily around then.  Want to time it properly.
The 30 day is the window in which you have to convince them to give you the card.  It nearly never takes that long.  

In most situations from application to card in hand is 14 days.  

Premium personal cards can be at your door in 3.

The 30 day is the window in which you have to convince them to give you the card.  It nearly never takes that long.  

In most situations from application to card in hand is 14 days.  

Premium personal cards can be at your door in 3.
I have an international trip on the Sept 25th. If I apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve soon, will all the perks be available on time (lounges, TSA pre-check, etc)?

I have an international trip on the Sept 25th. If I apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve soon, will all the perks be available on time (lounges, TSA pre-check, etc)?
Well TSA Pre-Check is just a statement credit for using the card for that.  It's going to be subject to whatever wait time the TSA has for you.  

You get lounge access within hours of approval.

i would strongly advise reading up on the Sapphire Double dip. chase recently changed their rules for Sapphire products and I would say if you are going the CSR route you really need to strongly consider the double dip approach.

Well TSA Pre-Check is just a statement credit for using the card for that.  It's going to be subject to whatever wait time the TSA has for you.  

You get lounge access within hours of approval.

i would strongly advise reading up on the Sapphire Double dip. chase recently changed their rules for Sapphire products and I would say if you are going the CSR route you really need to strongly consider the double dip approach.
Just did a quick scan....the benefit of double dipping would be to get the sign up bonus for both, correct?

If that's the case, I don't think I can spend 8k in 3 months to get both bonuses. It'll be awfully close and I'd likely have to buy stuff just to meet it.

Just did a quick scan....the benefit of double dipping would be to get the sign up bonus for both, correct?

If that's the case, I don't think I can spend 8k in 3 months to get both bonuses. It'll be awfully close and I'd likely have to buy stuff just to meet it.
There are several options to meet MSR without actual spending.  The cheapest, but not easiest is the funding of bank accounts with credit cards.  The most expensive and easiest is using things like Venmo to move money to yourself thru a 3rd party.  Plastiq to pay bills that you would not normally be able to pay with a card has similar fees to Venmo.

You can also buy and hold onto Visa Gift Cards, and other Store gift cards for use after your Min Spend window is expired, to give you what amounts to an extension.

There are several options to meet MSR without actual spending.  The cheapest, but not easiest is the funding of bank accounts with credit cards.  The most expensive and easiest is using things like Venmo to move money to yourself thru a 3rd party.  Plastiq to pay bills that you would not normally be able to pay with a card has similar fees to Venmo.

You can also buy and hold onto Visa Gift Cards, and other Store gift cards for use after your Min Spend window is expired, to give you what amounts to an extension.
Don't there rules say you can't get bonus on one if you have gotten bonus on the other in last 24 months?  

Saw the Capital One Savor card mentioned in another thread ($500 bonus after spending $3000, annual fee waived in first year) and opened one yesterday. Thought some of you may be interested in it.

Saw the Capital One Savor card mentioned in another thread ($500 bonus after spending $3000, annual fee waived in first year) and opened one yesterday. Thought some of you may be interested in it.
The Savor card is nice from a bonus perspective, it holds an AF so you will want to change it after a year.  I wouldn't for sure get this card if under 5/24.  I would prioritize CIP for sure if under 5/24.  

Users who are viewing this thread