What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Credit Cards (1 Viewer)

Been meaning to get the Costco card for my gas and Costco purchases. Just have not got around to actually doing the application, maybe I will right now. Sams is a great option for gas at 5% but I think they are more limited in where you get it and plus we are a Costco family.

Got a PenFed Cash Rewards Plus Visa card recently, $100 sign up bonus when you sign up and spend $1500 in 3 months and 5% unlimited cash discount on all at the pump gas purchases. Requires opening a savings account and checking and a $14 donation to the Veterans fund if you haven't served in the armed forces, but you fund the minimums and let it sit as there's no minimum balance for either account. Then you're in the credit union if you need car or mortgage financing, where they offer rock bottom financing rates. Wins all around.

Got a PenFed Cash Rewards Plus Visa card recently, $100 sign up bonus when you sign up and spend $1500 in 3 months and 5% unlimited cash discount on all at the pump gas purchases. Requires opening a savings account and checking and a $14 donation to the Veterans fund if you haven't served in the armed forces, but you fund the minimums and let it sit as there's no minimum balance for either account. Then you're in the credit union if you need car or mortgage financing, where they offer rock bottom financing rates. Wins all around.
Nice

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday now doing 10% back at restaurants (up to $200 cash back) for 6 months for people that apply by sometime in May.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of AMEX in general ($25 increments are annoying and only having the statement credit option bothers me), but these sign-up bonuses are nice. Unlike the typical bonus cash back, the 10% bonus stuff applies immediately for every transaction.

Been meaning to get the Costco card for my gas and Costco purchases. Just have not got around to actually doing the application, maybe I will right now. Sams is a great option for gas at 5% but I think they are more limited in where you get it and plus we are a Costco family.
Sam's is not limited. 5% gas anywhere. Only annoying thing is they send a check you can only cash at a Sam's Club. Got my $125 check sitting here ready to cash in for the previous 12 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a card out there that doesn't have a worthless fraud detection system behind it that results in multiple false positive fraud alerts a month. I want that card.

Is there a card out there that doesn't have a worthless fraud detection system behind it that results in multiple false positive fraud alerts a month. I want that card.
What sort of nefarious activities do you engage in? ;)

I rarely get a fraud alert from my card issuers. Before I got the chipped card, Discover replaced my card with a card with a new number every year or 2.

Costco gas is among the cheaper gas stations here in Northern VA,  but the Costco gas pumps have lines that remind of gas rationing from the 70s. I'm not waiting 30 minutes to an hour to save $1 on gas. I get 1.5%  cash back on all purchases with my Navy Federal Visa and 1% from discover (5% on gas 3-6 months out of the year).

Costco gas is among the cheaper gas stations here in Northern VA,  but the Costco gas pumps have lines that remind of gas rationing from the 70s. I'm not waiting 30 minutes to an hour to save $1 on gas. I get 1.5%  cash back on all purchases with my Navy Federal Visa and 1% from discover (5% on gas 3-6 months out of the year).
go before work. no lines

go before work. no lines
It's not worth it for the couple of pennies per gallon i'd save for the avg 12 gallon fill up my car takes. Not to mention that it would hose up my commute. Express Stop in Burke has a comparable price/gallon. 

It's not worth it for the couple of pennies per gallon i'd save for the avg 12 gallon fill up my car takes. Not to mention that it would hose up my commute. Express Stop in Burke has a comparable price/gallon. 
makes sense.. mine is along my current route so it works out well. even when I get off work and head to Costco to pickup random things @ 2:30 the gas lines are all full

The cash back for gas is not just Costco. Same for Sam's (which is 5%). Memory tells me Sam's had more limitations than Costco but it has been a while since I looked into them. 

Discover doing 5% back at restaurants in the 3rd quarter. Discover putting out a fantastic year on the rotating quarters (wholesale, wholesale/home improvement, restaurants so far). No word yet on the Freedom's 3rd quarter. 

This cash back stuff is great. I'm now up over $150 back every month, pushing $200 a lot of months. Still with pretty small limits on most of the cards I use the most. I think Discover hates me. The card did get unsecured after 8 months, but without a credit limit increase (still at $400). Which means they are giving me 10% on every single purchase I make on that card (still in the cash back match year). I'd love to use it for other stuff, but that's really not possible with a $400 limit. 

Discover doing 5% back at restaurants in the 3rd quarter. Discover putting out a fantastic year on the rotating quarters (wholesale, wholesale/home improvement, restaurants so far). No word yet on the Freedom's 3rd quarter. 

This cash back stuff is great. I'm now up over $150 back every month, pushing $200 a lot of months. Still with pretty small limits on most of the cards I use the most. I think Discover hates me. The card did get unsecured after 8 months, but without a credit limit increase (still at $400). Which means they are giving me 10% on every single purchase I make on that card (still in the cash back match year). I'd love to use it for other stuff, but that's really not possible with a $400 limit. 
When is Discover's 3rd quarter?

Nm, I see. https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html

You can now enroll in American Express Platinum and get 100K points with a $3K spend. That's up from the standard offer of 40K points. There's a $450 annual fee, but between the points, a $200 airline fee credit, free Global Entry (have kept putting it off), all the lounge access, upgrades in hotel status, etc it seems like it's well worth it for at least a year. Recap of benefits here.

Apparently the last time this offer came out it went quickly.
A year later and here we are. A couple of weeks ago I ended up downgrading this to a no fee card so I could retain my points (canceling outright would have forfeited them). For me, it definitely wasn't worth continuing for another year (the fee increased to $550) as we have a three month old and aren't planning on traveling very much. Here's a post-mortem on what my $450 got me:

• The initial 100K Amex points (haven't used yet, will likely partially use for a vacation in December. At a minimum, they're worth $700 at Amazon)
  • My $200 airline credit for 2016 was used as a $200 Amazon gift card
  • They later closed that loophole so my 2017 credit is now loaded into my United gift registry for $200
  • Global entry reimbursed ($100)
  • $180 in Uber credits
  • Having the card got me access to the Concierge pre-sale for Hamilton tickets last June. I bought two pairs of seats to future shows, 3rd and 4th row Orchestra, for $199 each. The second show was last week. Total profit after original price paid and Stubhub fees: $3,074
Worked out pretty well. 

I use the Costco & the Citi double on just about everything

shop inside Costco 5%

restaurants/bars/gas  Costco  3%

everything else Citi 2%

up about $600 for the year

I use the Costco & the Citi double on just about everything

shop inside Costco 5%

restaurants/bars/gas  Costco  3%

everything else Citi 2%

up about $600 for the year
Cash back or Costco store credit?

New business card out: AmEx Blue Business Plus20,000 sign up miles after $3000 spend in 3 months2x on ALL purchases per year, up to $50kNO FEELooks like a great non-bonus spend card. The question out there is it a new Blue business card or an extension of the old Blue. I got the Blue business card this year for the 10x restaurant for 6 months and 2x for first year spend. Thinking I am not eligible for the bonus, but not sure yet. Will be a good card to PC to when the year is up, though.https://www262.americanexpress.com/apply-card/business-card/bluebusinessplus-credit-card/151/44960?PID=15-12953123-7242561-0fe4ecc5c2e04b6e9f0bf977b8ff6a9c&BUID=SBS&PSKU=BBP&CRTV=10XLTO

Edit: The 20,000 miles is only through affiliate links.

Anyone have any good sign-up bonuses recently?  I have a couple cards from Chase right now and will have some spending the next couple of months. Looking to make a quick grab bonus and cancel.  I don't mind investing in an annual fee if the payoff is there and I generally don't like airline miles (too difficult to use).  Not looking for long term % back on spending. 

Anyone have any good sign-up bonuses recently?  I have a couple cards from Chase right now and will have some spending the next couple of months. Looking to make a quick grab bonus and cancel.  I don't mind investing in an annual fee if the payoff is there and I generally don't like airline miles (too difficult to use).  Not looking for long term % back on spending. 
If you want to stick it to Wells Fargo they have a number of good bonus offers right now:

$200 after $1000 spend: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-wise/

20,000 points after $1000 spend (Amex): https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/propel/

20,000 points after $1000 spend (Visa): https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/ ("Signature Version" here: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/)

Likely of interest to posters on a fantasy football forum, my Philadelphia Eagles NFL Extra Points card from Barclaycard is  :moneybag:

Only 1% cashback/regular rewards points, but:

• 2% on season tickets (and 0% APR for 6 months on those purchases) and any in-stadium or merchandise purchases
  • 20% discount off all team or NFL merchandise at team stores, official team sites, and NFL.com
  • Redemption for NFL/Team experiences
That last one is where the real value comes in. In the almost 3 years I've had the card, here's what I've redeemed points for, and the equivalent dollar value:

• 2016 - Pair of club level seats (face value: $210 each) and work the goalpost nets for a quarter at the home opener for me and a guest: 35,000 points/$350
  • 2016 - Season parking passes in VIP lot (face value: $600): 10,000 points/$100 (I actually redeemed for 2 sets of passes; used one set for me and sold the other set for close to face value)
  • 2016 - VIP experience for 2 at Day 1 of the NFL Draft (VIP indoor tent with food/drink, overlooking the draft stage, with NFL players/alumni): 20,000 points/$200
  • 2017 - Work the goalpost nets for a quarter at the home opener for me and a guest (no tickets included this year): 10,000 points/$100
  • 2017 - Season parking passes in VIP lot (face value: $600): 35,000 points/$350 (they realized the redemption price was way too low from the year before)
  • 2017 - Dinner for 4 with Brian Dawkins at upscale restaurant in Philly (this takes place next week), includes meet and greet and autographed memorabilia for each guest: 15,000 points/$150
Other things I've seen offered are pre-game sideline passes to games (10,000 pts), single game tickets  (home or away) and VIP ticket packages (game tickets w/ sideline passes), away game viewing party with open bar and catered food for 10 at the Eagles stadium (200,000 pts), flag-football at the Eagles training facility for 20 people, including cheerleaders, refs and alumni coach (50,000 pts), private tour of the training facility and dinner/lunch with a coach or alumni.

I can only see/redeem for my team or NFL redemptions (e.g. Super Bowl tickets, Combine Passes, Pro Bowl, London Game packages, etc.), so not sure what other teams offer. And this year they had Hall-of-Fame packages that I'm eyeing for next year, if Dawkins gets elected. It was 2 VIP tickets to both the induction ceremony and the HOF game, for 20,000 pts. 

If you want to stick it to Wells Fargo they have a number of good bonus offers right now:

$200 after $1000 spend: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-wise/

20,000 points after $1000 spend (Amex): https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/propel/

20,000 points after $1000 spend (Visa): https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/ ("Signature Version" here: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/)
Plus, they give you a second card without you even asking for free!

I've maxed out a few of my options, so now focused on the less desirable, but still useful, American Airlines points.

My wife and I just received the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and the business version of that card for a total of 240,000 miles. I am at 28/24 and she is 20/24, so getting accepted if you have lots of cards does not seem to be an issue. Spend on each of the cards is $3000/3 months. Fee is $95 on each, but waived the first year.

Pretty awesome quarter for the rotating category cards (Freedom and Discover).

Freedom is doing 5% back on any purchases made with Android/Apple/Samsung Pay, which means 5% back at most any brick-n-mortar purchase. I never had any plans to ever use Android Pay, but have started this quarter. 

Discover doing Wholesale Clubs this quarter. They've got grocery stores, restaurants, and wholesale clubs again for the rest of the year, so a great year for Discover categories overall.

This will be the first quarter that I hit the max on both in the same quarter.

I've maxed out a few of my options, so now focused on the less desirable, but still useful, American Airlines points.

My wife and I just received the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and the business version of that card for a total of 240,000 miles. I am at 28/24 and she is 20/24, so getting accepted if you have lots of cards does not seem to be an issue. Spend on each of the cards is $3000/3 months. Fee is $95 on each, but waived the first year.
Wife and I just received our 7th and 8th Citi AA cards since November. Went through the public links for biz and personal each. Found the reddit churning site and the code share subreddit where people sell or give away 9-digit mailers that bypass the 24 month language. Each got another biz and personal card. Now looking at 500,000 miles in 6 months. It seems to be the last credit card company churning gravy train alive. Hope on while you can, it can't last much longer, right?

Wife and I just received our 7th and 8th Citi AA cards since November. Went through the public links for biz and personal each. Found the reddit churning site and the code share subreddit where people sell or give away 9-digit mailers that bypass the 24 month language. Each got another biz and personal card. Now looking at 500,000 miles in 6 months. It seems to be the last credit card company churning gravy train alive. Hope on while you can, it can't last much longer, right?
Here is the reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/8b6ri5/code_sharing_thread_week_of_april_10_2018/?st=jfu6gg5k&sh=982400b0

Any problems spending 2,500 in 3 months per card?  (I just got this card.  one. just for me. )  I had a mailer with the code, but just ditched it since I got the card without it. 

Any problems spending 2,500 in 3 months per card?  (I just got this card.  one. just for me. )  I had a mailer with the code, but just ditched it since I got the card without it. 
Actually it is $3k for personal and $4k for business. Unfortunately I do not have trouble spending it - using Plastiq helps each month paying for mortgage and line of credit, so that takes a big chunk of spending each month. Recently had property tax, income tax, home and car insurance and other bills to pay.

I've gotten to the point I don't put any real spending on churn cards. I try to get bank bonuses put stuff like plastiq spend for mortgage and cycle other bills on as needed. 3k in 3 months is chump change. 

I've gotten to the point I don't put any real spending on churn cards. I try to get bank bonuses put stuff like plastiq spend for mortgage and cycle other bills on as needed. 3k in 3 months is chump change. 
Doesn't the 2.5% fee for using plastiq wipeout a good portion of points you're getting?

Or are you saying that it's all about targeting the signup bonuses and using plastiq on large recurring payments to earn those signup bonuses?

This is all new and foreign to me.

Doesn't the 2.5% fee for using plastiq wipeout a good portion of points you're getting?

Or are you saying that it's all about targeting the signup bonuses and using plastiq on large recurring payments to earn those signup bonuses?

This is all new and foreign to me.
I am only targeting signup. I find cards with category bonuses to meet my other spending. 

It may not be the optimal way to do it, o get that.  You cut into your earnings a bit but it saves hassle of always swapping cards out of wallets. 

I value signup bonus between 12 to 15% so 2.5 is just noise. 

I just take a front back photo after activating and for the most part they dont get swiped. 

I am only targeting signup. I find cards with category bonuses to meet my other spending. 

It may not be the optimal way to do it, o get that.  You cut into your earnings a bit but it saves hassle of always swapping cards out of wallets. 

I value signup bonus between 12 to 15% so 2.5 is just noise. 

I just take a front back photo after activating and for the most part they dont get swiped. 
Yep, only for sign up bonus, nothing else. 

Bank bonus funding is great, finding $1000 funding is pretty easy AND you can get into the Band bonus game. Wife and I have made $5k in last 12 months. 

OK this is kind of my game.  I travel all the time and have barely paid for more than half a flight in half a decade and have stayed at some pretty sweet places on the house.  I've scaled back on my CC shenanigans as of late because #### flying with two small kids but here's the rundown anyway.

General strategy:  Acquire Chase Ultimate Rewards points, and pair them with a Chase card that grants you access to the premium transfers.  Want to fly to the orient in a private suite with a bed for no money out of pocket?  It's either this or AMEX Membership Rewards points that are going to do that for you and AMEX cards have high annual fees and most earn like #### beyond the sign-up bonus.  People get giggity over earning 1c or 2c per point but with the right transfers you can get 10c - 40c per point out of these.  And you're much better off stockpiling your points all in one place to be transferred out in bulk rather than having a few points here and a few points there in all the different rewards programs.  That's not even to mention the flexibility of being tied to one rewards program for years and then watching it turn to #### after you've built up a ton of points like may happen here shortly to Starwood folks.  Lastly, it means you can combine sign-up bonuses if you need to build up points quickly since there are a ton of chase cards.

On that front, to do that I have:

Chase Freedom:  No fee so no brainer with the 5x points in rotating categories.  And rotating categories that you actually use, at that (restaurants, Amazon, gas, groceries, etc).  The points on their own are crap, worth 1c each but that value shoots through the roof when paired with...

Chase Ink Bold (would also work with the Chase Sapphire): This is one of the premium fee Chase cards that gets you access to the premium transfer partners (pretty much all the airlines that matter).  The bonus in this is that you can transfer points between your UR (ultimate rewards) banks so you can transfer all your points from the Freedom account into your Ink Bold UR account and bammo, now all those 5x points you've been earning with the Freedom are worth a ton instead of being just redeemable for ####ty cash at 1c each.  Plus your Ink Bold earns 2x points on utilities, etc so put all of those on auto-pay and forget about it.

Chase Hyatt Card: Remember when I talked about flexibility above?  This is one of the reasons why.  UR points transfer to Hyatt at 1:1, but Hyatt redemptions are quite cheap compared to other hotel chains.  Their HIGHEST redemption category is 30,000 points/night.  That means their top of the line, best $1000+/night hotels redeem for only 30,000 points, transferable from your UR account where you're earning 2x-5x points on many of your purchases.  This is the dream, people.  By focusing on point transfers you're able to combine the cheapest hotel redemptions with the fastest points earnings.  So all told you can rack up enough points to stay a night at a freaking category 1000 Hyatt on the beach in Kauai after just $15,000 - $20,000 in spending (roughly 1 weeks worth of spending for a FBG).  Having the credit card here just gets you a few extra perks while you're staying there, earns you a few extra points on your purchases while staying there (because let's face it FBG's are dropping $300+ at the hotel bar and golf course daily) and as a bonus it comes with 2 free nights at any Hyatt hotel.  Yes, again, any hotel.  Times Square, Paris, whatever.  You also get 1 free night at a cat 1-4 annually.

AMEX Business Platinum: Don't necessarily have to have a real business.  This is one of the cards with bigtime travel perks.  First class lounges at the airport, elite status at the rental car companies, etc.  It comes with a hefty price tag at $450/yr, but for one year you can easily make that up.  Firstly it comes with a $200/year credit at an airline of your choice.  Technically for incidentals (baggage fees, wi-fi, drinks, etc) but for some airlines you can use it on gift cards that you use to make ticket purchases (I used Delta).  The trick is that the credit is once per CALENDAR year.  So if you sign up for the card in August you can redeem for $200 then and then redeem again in January for another $200.  On top of that you get a $100 credit back if you sign up for global entry, so at this point you're at +$50 in your pocket not even counting all the elite perks.  Additionally, if you get targeted for it you can get offers of 100k up to 150k Membership Rewards points on sign-up which are in the same category as Chase Ultimate Rewards for buying power.  

Chase Southwest Preferred and Southwest Preferred Business: Simply put, these are here to get you a SW companion pass, which means if you buy a ticket on SW your spouse gets a ticket for free (BOGO!).  Basically when you accrue 110,000 rapid rewards points in a year you get a companion pass for the rest of that year and all of next year.  Each of these two SW credit cards (again, you don't need a real business) has a 50,000 RR point sign-up bonus.  So by the time you spend 10k you're at the companion pass.  You've now got 110k points to spend on tickets and each of those ticket purchases comes with a free ticket for your wife.  Good luck using those up so you have to pay for a flight again before your companion pass expires, which if you time it right can be 2 years away (get your 100k credit in January and then you'll have your pass for all of the 11 months left in that year plus the next full year).

So at this point where are we?  WIth a year's worth of spending you're now flying to New York by using 25k of your 110k Rapid Rewards points for your ticket.  Your wife's ticket is free thanks to your companion pass.  You arrive at the airport and head to the first class lounge thanks to your business platinum card.  If you need a car rental when you arrive you skip the counter and go straight to the executive area where you take your pick of premium class cars.  Then you head to the Park Hyatt New York hotel with average daily rates of $800/night, but F that noise you're staying on the house for 5 nights courtesy of the two free nights from your Hyatt card paired with a mere 90k points out of your UR account that you built up in no time thanks to just one sign-up bonus and some smartly strategized card usage to manage your plethora of bonus earnings categories.  And when you get home you've still got enough RR points for like 3 more domestic flights for you and the wife and probably a nice bucket of UR and MR points still sitting there as well either for another hotel or if you want to fly something like Emirates or Singapore Airlines (where the really lucrative rewards redemptions are) overseas.

I have a bunch of other cards too for various sign-up bonuses and bonus categories but my fingers are tired now so I'm going to go ice them.
Couple questions:

-How do you get a Southwest Business card without a business?

-Are there any shortcuts to getting the 10,000 additional RR points for the companion pass or are you pretty much locked in to spending $10k?

And if I'm reading it right, the best play would be to get both cards early in a calendar year and then earn the additional 10k RR points as quickly as possible to get the Companion Pass for the rest of that year and all of the next?

Couple questions:

-How do you get a Southwest Business card without a business?

-Are there any shortcuts to getting the 10,000 additional RR points for the companion pass or are you pretty much locked in to spending $10k?

And if I'm reading it right, the best play would be to get both cards early in a calendar year and then earn the additional 10k RR points as quickly as possible to get the Companion Pass for the rest of that year and all of the next?
They changed the rules on this recently. 

Just read this.  Do what they say. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/7j6bkh/chase_sw_companion_pass_megathread/

I have a Chase Sapphire that I opened ~3 or 4 years ago that I never use.  Should I cancel this and then look to re-apply for the bonus?  I currently have 3 active Chase cards and only use 1 of them.  I've only opened 1 new one in the last 24 months. 

I have a Chase Sapphire that I opened ~3 or 4 years ago that I never use.  Should I cancel this and then look to re-apply for the bonus?  I currently have 3 active Chase cards and only use 1 of them.  I've only opened 1 new one in the last 24 months. 
You should downgrade to one of the chase freedom products then apply for both sappphires on the exact same day. 

Also. Why would you carry a annual fee card that you dont use?

You should downgrade to one of the chase freedom products then apply for both sappphires on the exact same day. 

Also. Why would you carry a annual fee card that you dont use?
Whichever sapphire card version I have has no annual fee. What does downgrade the card mean? 

Whichever sapphire card version I have has no annual fee. What does downgrade the card mean? 
I am not aware of a sapphire card without an AF.  I'm not saying it wasn't possible 3-4 years ago, but it doesn't exist today. What does your card say exactly on it?

Downgrade the card means you call in and say you would like to change to a Chase Freedom card.  They change you over to that product.  Freedom is no-AF.  I would not cancel your current card.  

Then wait a day or so and apply both for the Chase Sapphire Reserve AND the Chase Sapphire Preferred on the same day. 

You can have two sapphire products and get both bonuses provided you do this within a 24hr period, doubling the bonus.  

Spending on chase is easy, there are several bank accounts you can dump chase card spend on.  You would be on the hook for 8k/3months. 

https://medium.com/optimalist/beginners-guide-to-free-travel-fd30f682ec7d

By the way he advises getting the ink first, which I am completely in favor of.  I would certainly do the ink first, then the 2 sapphire products, then go back and get a 2nd ink using a different set of info.  in the middle of this try and mix in a amex buisness card or something like that just to space the applciations over about a year period.

:thumbup:  that's awesome 

Sometimes you just need it, but i've seen what a negative impact routinely carrying cc debt can have.
For me, I misjudged the value of a house I was flipping, ate it hard on the sell and and didn't have the money to cover all my expenses.  Took me almost two years to recover.  I recovered and even had some left over two weeks ago.  

Users who are viewing this thread