What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could Brady Steal Brees' New Record? (1 Viewer)

Neil Beaufort Zod

Footballguy
* Brady is less than 200 yards behind Brees headed into week 17.

* Brady's team needs to win to guarantee HFA throughout the playoffs. He should play the full game.

* Brees' team can secure a bye only if the 49ers fall to the Rams.

* The teams all play at the same time.

Suppose this happens:

Brees throws for 150 yards in the first half. At halftime the coaches see the Rams are getting blown out by the 49ers. Knowing there's no bye forthcoming, they consider pulling the starters in the second half to avoid injury and let them rest up for the following weekend's game.

Brady's team is winning big and likes beating the rival Bills into submission. Brady can reach 350 yards passing for the day, passing Brees and claiming another record for himself.

Would the Patriots keep their foot on the pedal to get the record? I think so. Would the Saints keep Brees in the game just to protect the new record? I have no idea.

Does this seem realistic, or unlikely?

saints and brees have been gunning at this record at the expense of health and even win equity for years now. so, no.

Marino set the record with ideal conditions. The last "cold weather" game he played in 1984 was at the Jets in week 10, on November 4th. It was 49 degrees that day. After that:

week 11: Eagles

week 12: @ Chargers

week 13: Jets

week 14: Raiders

week 15: @ Colts (dome)

week 16: Cowboys

That's an interesting point. This year has been strange in that weather has affected very few games overall. We typically see a couple QBs every 2-3 yrs that start off on pace to break the record and then trail off. It's very possible that weather plays a big factor in that and the lack of poor weather is allowing so many QBs to keep up the big passing totals.

Thanks global warming.

Anything is possible. Even if that does happen and Brees is pulled in the 2nd half he will still probably have torched the Panthers for 150+ yards easy in the 1st half. I doubt that SF will have pulled away enough at halftime for them to make this type of decision though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything is possible. Even if that does happen and Brees is pulled in the 2nd half he will still probably have torched the Panthers for 150+ yards easy in the 1st half. I doubt the SF will have pulled away enough at halftime for them to make this type of decision though.
Sure, but Brady could have 225 at halftime, too. How much time does Brady need to make up that 125-yard difference? A quarter? Less if they're really trying to get it?Suppose Cam keeps the clock moving and there's a letdown and Brees has 75 yards at the half...and Brady's around 200. Does the record mean enough to monitor events in NE drive by drive in the 4th quarter? Could it affect playcalling?I know this is Brees' moment and while I'm not a Saints fan I'm happy for him (him holding his son wearing headphones for the noise is the image I remember most about their Super Bowl). But it almost seems like celebrating before the record is definitely his. I mean, he definitely broke it...but if Brady finishes with more does it really mean as much?Maybe I have that fantasy football-inspired "no lead is safe" mentality. I just see many ways where Brady can make a big run and take it next weekend.

I also think Brady has the right coach. BB likes to "help" his players break other players' records. Everyone remembers a few years back when Brady was gunning for Manning's TD record (and Moss was going after the TD record as well). The Pats would be leading by 30 points with 5 minutes left and still have Brady and Moss in and still be throwing the ball like crazy.

I would not be shocked to see Brady drop back 60 times this week.

NE needs/wants #1 and they have a D that REQUIRES them to score points Buffalo will put some up requiring NE to score. SO maybe BB is about records and history but TEAM records are what he publicly states.

The whole chase for this record is going to seem irrelevant in the near future. 5,000 is the new 3,000 in this pass happy league. There's no other way to explain why 3 QB's have a realistic shot at 5,000 yards in the same season. That's absurd, and it cheapens what Marino did back in the day. Marino will be akin to Roger Maris. And Brees/Brady will be like Sosa/McGuire. They make a big fuss about the record and bear hug the QB but the next time it happens, they won't even stop the game. :yawn:

Marino set the record with ideal conditions. The last "cold weather" game he played in 1984 was at the Jets in week 10, on November 4th. It was 49 degrees that day. After that:week 11: Eaglesweek 12: @ Chargersweek 13: Jetsweek 14: Raidersweek 15: @ Colts (dome)week 16: Cowboys
not sure what your trying to say, Brees broke the record playing indoors most of this season..conditions couldn't be more ideal that what Brees has had to play with..

Marino set the record with ideal conditions. The last "cold weather" game he played in 1984 was at the Jets in week 10, on November 4th. It was 49 degrees that day. After that:week 11: Eaglesweek 12: @ Chargersweek 13: Jetsweek 14: Raidersweek 15: @ Colts (dome)week 16: Cowboys
not sure what your trying to say, Brees broke the record playing indoors most of this season..conditions couldn't be more ideal that what Brees has had to play with..
Beat me to it. Will only add that the Saints will finish the season with only one outdoor game after Oct 16 and a total of 11 indoor games on the season. Seems pretty ideal as well...

The whole chase for this record is going to seem irrelevant in the near future. 5,000 is the new 3,000 in this pass happy league. There's no other way to explain why 3 QB's have a realistic shot at 5,000 yards in the same season. That's absurd, and it cheapens what Marino did back in the day. Marino will be akin to Roger Maris. And Brees/Brady will be like Sosa/McGuire. They make a big fuss about the record and bear hug the QB but the next time it happens, they won't even stop the game. :yawn:
So Brees and Brady are on roids? :pokey:

it's an easy argument to make, and i see where you are coming from, but what do you make of the stat they showed last night that Brees is out-gaining the average NFL starter by more (and by a significant amount) this year than Marino did in his record year?

:goodposting:Was going to post the same thing.

I expect the Saints to pass at least 40 times. No way will they sit Brees no matter what happens. This record is important to them. The reason they were throwing late this week was because they wanted a bigger lead over Brady, it had nothing to do with Marino which was a foregone conclusion. Brady could throw for 400 of course, but Brees will throw enough that no matter how bad he is he should get 300 yards. I see no way that Brady passes Brees absent injury.

You guys are missing the fact that if Tim Tebow throws for 4,000 yards this week he'll leave both Brees and Brady in his dust.

ETA - and he didn't even play a whole season.

it's an easy argument to make, and i see where you are coming from, but what do you make of the stat they showed last night that Brees is out-gaining the average NFL starter by more (and by a significant amount) this year than Marino did in his record year?
That is one way to look at it. However, we could also look at the fact that 10 QBs are likely to finish with >4,000 yards passing this year. In 1984, Marino was one of only 3 QBs to break 4,000 yards.

Was it a per game stat or a total yard stat? There have been a lot of injured QBs this year which would skew total yards.Orton + Tebow (in Denver) have about 2600 yds, but Tebow only has 1650.

saints and brees have been gunning at this record at the expense of health and even win equity for years now. so, no.
Brees threw the ball away in the final game of 2008 because he didn't want the record on a non-playoff team. So, no. You're wrong.

Brees threw the ball away in the final game of 2008 because he didn't want the record on a non-playoff team. So, no. You're wrong.
I was just going to ask about all this talk of the saints being about breaking records. Where in the world has that come from? is there any evidence of this or are people just hating?

Didn't his receiver drop the ball that would have broken the record?
No. Isn't clear that it's a throw-away, but it wasn't dropped. Fell incomplete, with the closest player a Panthers player. It's at about 3:30 here:http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80db05d9/NFL-GameDay-Scoreboard-Panthers-vs-Saints-highlights

Brees is playing the whole game against the Panthers. They need to keep the momentum going into the playoffs and there is still a reason to win unless the 49ers are ahead by 20 or more points at the half. So Brady will need about 540 yards passing to surpass Brees.

I was just going to ask about all this talk of the saints being about breaking records. Where in the world has that come from? is there any evidence of this or are people just hating?
it comes from having brees on my fantasy team that year and watching him rack up yards in garbage time. i remember one particular game where he threw a hail mary as time expired despite being down 2 scores.

Brady will throw for over 500 yards this week. The Saint would be smart to rest Brees. San Fran isn't losing that game, so it is a meaningless game.

That is one way to look at it. However, we could also look at the fact that 10 QBs are likely to finish with >4,000 yards passing this year. In 1984, Marino was one of only 3 QBs to break 4,000 yards.
I believe I heard something on the radio tonight that Dave Craig threw for the 2nd most TDs that season. If this is correct that's not saying much for the level of talent at QB then.

Brees is playing the whole game against the Panthers. They need to keep the momentum going into the playoffs and there is still a reason to win unless the 49ers are ahead by 20 or more points at the half. So Brady will need about 540 yards passing to surpass Brees.
This is more like it.Most if not all of the 'piling on' argument was generated by Prisco at CBS. This is the same guy who was tweeting that he hoped Mike Smith would order a goon squad hit to injure Brees (speaking of classless).The realy tricky part for the Saints is do they do like they did last year and risk key injuries heading into the playoffs (last year it was 2 RBs, Graham, Jenkins and maybe a couple other guys, which definitely hurt them in SEA) on the 5% (if that) chance a 1-2 win team would beat a division leader so that they can bump up their playoff seed, or should they be "realistic" and play the backups and get healthy. Last year Payton said it was his biggest mistake. On the other hand that record belongs to the whole team and that's how they view it too, plus it's just not in their makeup to just call it quits on a season goal (in this case the bye).Also one other record to think about:B rees' record of consecutive games with a TD pass. Do they start him and sit hiom after the 9er game gets out of hand.... but risk the consecutive game ending, or do they keep Brees in until he at least gets a TD? If he does not play the game does not count against his streak I believe.

Using this standard, isn't Namath's 1967 season when he threw for 4000+ yards in 14 games at a time when DBs could literally mug receivers rthe greatest season ever by a QB?http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00/gamelog/1967/It wasn't until 1979 that another QB - Fouts in 16 - hit 4000 yards.http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_single_season.htmSince then 93 other QBs have done it. That's why in my opinion the "era" we are all speaking of really began in 1978-79 with the rule changes that took place then.

Brady will throw for over 500 yards this week. The Saint would be smart to rest Brees. San Fran isn't losing that game, so it is a meaningless game.
Because the Rams could NEVER beat a team like the 49ers or the Saints?
With Bradford, at home, when winless and more than half the season to go, with Salas and Pettis, with a blocked punt and two big deep picks, with the just crowned world champion baseball team celebratiung their parade in front of their own (Rams) fans who are packing the stadium..... believable.Vs now, with Clemens, with Spags on his way out, with the season over, no one in the stands, no Salas or Pettis, coming off a shutout vs PIT and also shut out by the 9ers last time, on a 6 game losing streak, on New Years day afternoon, vs a team that does not make mistakes..... not quite "never" but what comes after that?In their defense, of their 6 losses at home, 3 have been by a TD or less, including the last 2.

Because the Rams could NEVER beat a team like the 49ers or the Saints?
With Bradford, at home, when winless and more than half the season to go, with Salas and Pettis, with a blocked punt and two big deep picks, with the just crowned world champion baseball team celebratiung their parade in front of their own (Rams) fans who are packing the stadium..... believable.Vs now, with Clemens, with Spags on his way out, with the season over, no one in the stands, no Salas or Pettis, coming off a shutout vs PIT and also shut out by the 9ers last time, on a 6 game losing streak, on New Years day afternoon, vs a team that does not make mistakes..... not quite "never" but what comes after that?In their defense, of their 6 losses at home, 3 have been by a TD or less, including the last 2.
A.J. Feeley was the the QB in the Saints game, not Bradford.

Using this standard, isn't Namath's 1967 season when he threw for 4000+ yards in 14 games at a time when DBs could literally mug receivers rthe greatest season ever by a QB?http://www.pro-footb...0/gamelog/1967/

It wasn't until 1979 that another QB - Fouts in 16 - hit 4000 yards.

http://www.pro-footb...ngle_season.htm

Since then 93 other QBs have done it. That's why in my opinion the "era" we are all speaking of really began in 1978-79 with the rule changes that took place then.
:goodposting: The thing is, all of those records, when they were set, were remarkable.

The fact that Marino's record stood for 27 years says 2 things, IMO:

1) It's an amazing record by itself due to how long it lasted

2) Despite the increase in passing philosophy, other rule changes, etc., it still lasted so long that those changes weren't enough to break it. You still needed a QB to have a special year to do it. If it were truly due to those changes I just listed, that record would have fallen long ago to the likes of Brady or Manning or Warner. Just because this year has been exceptional for the top QBs with a few of them doesn't lessen the accomplishment by ALL of them. Nothing special happened this year to allow multiple QBs to approach and/or break it other than their special play.

Users who are viewing this thread