What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Michael Penix Jr., ATL (1 Viewer)

I absolutely think Penix is a top 3 qb.

I think if you have him at 7, u probably dont know ball. 4/5, sure... I think you're wrong, but he's my fave qb of this class
I had him 4th and JJ 5th and it seems like general consensus says I'm way wrong, so I've been questioning myself a bunch.

Maybe McCarthy has a higher ceiling, but Penix is ready to play in the league at a decent level right now IMO. Not sure he has the stuff to end up being a top 10 QB, but 11-20 is definitely possible. If he starts next year, he won't be a bottom 5 starter IMO. High floor and low ceiling is the take I guess.
Careful with the "general consensus". there is a lot of noise from some that is just louder. The quieter guys who are in the know and study film seem to like Penix over JJ. We don't know how it will all shake out, maybe both work out, but I think they takeaway here is Penix should get a shot to show what he can do in the NFL and some "loud" people are writing him off.
JJ has the youth. JJ has the unknown. In a very limited sample size he looks like he can do it all. He clearly has great athleticism. He seems to be a great leader. If you take him with a high pick you are projecting into the future what he could be. I've heard the league is split on what they think of him.

Penix is a more tangible asset. He obviously has a great arm. He has lots of film for scouts to study. If coaches think his cons can be fixed or improved on then what are we doing here? This guy is pretty darn amazing. I've been nit picking him but the more film I watch I think he could be the guy.
Can't underrate that youth though. Historically, older prospects (which Daniels, Nix, Penix, and Rattler all are) tend to have worse careers than younger prospects which Maye and McCarthy are.

That's not to say younger prospects are always better (Trey Lance springs to mind) but its a red flag often. Top prospects tend to ascend younger and declare earlier, and that's true regardless of position.

I just look at the recap and the one thing that's haunted him is his medicals... he goes to the Combine, great medicals for him. I definitely can see him as a back half of the 1st round guy now and I hope the Giants move up from their 2nd round pick (#39, 2.7) to grab him.

If you look at the back half of the 1st round, every team after pick #14 doesn't need a QB.

15. Indianapolis
16. Seattle
17. Jacksonville
18. Cincinnati
19. LA Rams
20. Pittsburgh
21. Miami
22. Philadelphia
23. Houston (CLE)
24. Dallas
25. Green Bay
26. Tampa Bay
27. Arizona (HOU)
28. Buffalo
29. Detroit
30. Baltimore
31. San Francisco
32. Kansas City

Whomever moves into the latter stage of the 1st is getting him.
I can easily make a case for the Rams, Dolphins and Cowboys taking him.
Things have changed massively since my post. Now at least 4-5 teams have been rumored to go after him after #15, plus a lot of noise about Seattle.

I just look at the recap and the one thing that's haunted him is his medicals... he goes to the Combine, great medicals for him. I definitely can see him as a back half of the 1st round guy now and I hope the Giants move up from their 2nd round pick (#39, 2.7) to grab him.

If you look at the back half of the 1st round, every team after pick #14 doesn't need a QB.

15. Indianapolis
16. Seattle
17. Jacksonville
18. Cincinnati
19. LA Rams
20. Pittsburgh
21. Miami
22. Philadelphia
23. Houston (CLE)
24. Dallas
25. Green Bay
26. Tampa Bay
27. Arizona (HOU)
28. Buffalo
29. Detroit
30. Baltimore
31. San Francisco
32. Kansas City

Things have changed massively since my post. Now at least 4-5 teams have been rumored to go after him after #15, plus a lot of noise about Seattle.
I’d be surprised if he falls past the Vikings and Broncos.

15. Indianapolis
16. Seattle
17. Jacksonville
18. Cincinnati
19. LA Rams
20. Pittsburgh
21. Miami
22. Philadelphia
23. Houston (CLE)
24. Dallas
25. Green Bay
26. Tampa Bay
27. Arizona (HOU)
28. Buffalo
29. Detroit
30. Baltimore
31. San Francisco
32. Kansas City

Only takes one team to prove me wrong but I still think most of those teams are looking at him in round 2. Vikings only one that does not apply to, as they might be forced to pivot if they can't move up, though I think they'll take Nix if they do.

There are at least nine teams that have an immediate or near-term need for a franchise QB (CHI, WAS, NE, MIN, DEN, LV, SEA, LAR, NYG). All of them have first round picks in the 1-19 range.

Any team with a strategy of waiting until the 2nd round to grab Nix or Penix because that is how they've graded them is going to be SOL.

Last edited:
I could see the Broncos passing for sure. He's got some of the same issues Russ does. Raiders make a ton of sense.

Only takes one team to prove me wrong but I still think most of those teams are looking at him in round 2. Vikings only one that does not apply to, as they might be forced to pivot if they can't move up, though I think they'll take Nix if they do.
I also think the Vikings would prefer Nix to Penix.

There are at least nine teams that have an immediate or near-term need for a franchise QB (CHI, WAS, NE, MIN, DEN, LV, SEA, LAR, NYG). All of them have first round picks in the 1-19 range.

Any team with a strategy of waiting until the 2nd round to grab Nix of Penix because that is how they've graded them is going to be SOL.
While I think Nix and Penix are 2nd round caliber guys, QB desperation is as strong as ever, and I'd be SHOCKED if either made it to round 2, and kind of surprised if both weren't gone before Seattle picks.

Also of note, I think both the Patriots and Giants (who I think will both go QB) would be stupid to go QB. I'm not arguing Daniel or especially Mac Jones are good QBs, but those were (and still are) TERRIBLE environments for a young QB. Bad OL, no WRs, tough divisions. Both those teams should either be trading down or taking WRs. Truthfully, I wouldn't be shocked if Daniel Jones could have a Mayfield-like resurgence if he had anything around him, I mean 5 seasons of your best WR being Darius Slayton would be rough for anyone.

Any team with a strategy of waiting until the 2nd round to grab Nix or Penix because that is how they've graded them is going to be SOL.
If they have a second round grade on these guy’s then it means they don’t love them. They may like them enough to take a swing in the second. If they aren’t there are they really missing out? I think Caleb Williams is the lone QB in this draft who i’d feel very confident in drafting. The rest are a leap of faith. They all have talent but also big time question marks. If my Broncos are on the clock at 12 and the choice at QB is Penix or Nix I hope they pass.

How high will he go in SF dynasty leagues? top 8? top 10?
I think it really depends on NFL draft capital. If he goes 2nd round NFL draft he likely falls to late 1st or very early 2nd. If he goes in the 1st round of the NFL draft I could see him go in that range you mention in SF.

I think the QBs in this draft are polarizing - some love Penix (I'm a fan) and others wouldn't touch him. It's going to be dependent on your league and how they value QBs (even in SF it can vary). Once you hit picks 8-12 look at the rosters of the managers in your league. Do the need QBs? Do they horde QBs? Do they always take BPA and is that a QB? Do they like to hit for upside because Penix if he hits in the right landing spot could be a great late 1st pick.

NFL will decide if Penix injury concerns are a thing or not. It will probably be similiar in the NFL draft - some teams would love to get him and others probably wouldn't touch him.

I feel like if he's taken in the first round to be a starter (Raiders, Broncos, Giants, Vikings) he has to be a 1st round pick. I just hope he goes to a team that has a strong line that gives him time in the pocket.

I feel like if he's taken in the first round to be a starter (Raiders, Broncos, Giants, Vikings) he has to be a 1st round pick. I just hope he goes to a team that has a strong line that gives him time in the pocket.
I think the team and fit (O-line, scheme, coordinators/coaches, offensive weapons etc.) will be key for a lot of these QBs outside of Caleb.

I do like a lot of these QBs in this draft but many should probably sit for at least part of the season, if not the whole season. They get thrown into a terrible mess and have to start they will be doomed.

If they have a second round grade on these guy’s then it means they don’t love them. They may like them enough to take a swing in the second. If they aren’t there are they really missing out? I think Caleb Williams is the lone QB in this draft who i’d feel very confident in drafting. The rest are a leap of faith. They all have talent but also big time question marks. If my Broncos are on the clock at 12 and the choice at QB is Penix or Nix I hope they pass.
If my Broncos are on the clock at 12 I'm trusting Sean Payton's judgment. No one has done more homework on these guys than him.

Nix looks like a perfect fit on paper given his decision-making, but if it's Penix then Payton must believe he can protect him enough to take advantage of his passing skills.

But given how disciplined the Broncos have been this offseason I don't see them reaching for either.

If my Broncos are on the clock at 12 I'm trusting Sean Payton's judgment. No one has done more homework on these guys than him.

Nix looks like a perfect fit on paper given his decision-making, but if it's Penix then Payton must believe he can protect him enough to take advantage of his passing skills.

But given how disciplined the Broncos have been this offseason I don't see them reaching for either.
There's a part of me that thinks Denver should just sign a guy like Tannehill and let him and Stidham compete and worry about long-term QB next year. Payton has basically infinite job security, and they have a lot of holes. Why not take the best CB, or a top OL, or trade down?

There's a part of me that thinks Denver should just sign a guy like Tannehill and let him and Stidham compete and worry about long-term QB next year. Payton has basically infinite job security, and they have a lot of holes. Why not take the best CB, or a top OL, or trade down?
I wouldn't quibble with this approach either. If Penix or Nix have too many warts to bet the farm on then grab a franchise LT to replace Bolles or trade down (personally not a fan of CB at 12). Denver's offseason moves to date have already made it clear that OL talent and depth is a priority.

Trading down in this draft to later first and picking up an extra pick(s) would be huge for any team with needs. Hoping my Fins do this. DEN could still take a QB later first and pick up extra capital.

NFL Mockery Draft...isn't that what CBS calls it when they show the Vikings trading up to No 2 any time they want some click bait?

-Miami trades back from 21 to 27 and suddenly is picking 27-55-66...we did this in the Mock Draft a couple weeks back, it's very possible.
Miami could possibly take Penix late 1st and shock everyone. Grier can be shrewd at times and a new arc at QB might buy him some more time as GM of the Miami Dolphins

-Payton WIlson/LB NC State...Kris Jenkins DT-Michigan...OL Prospect is how I would see that scenario playing out...
But I can also see Miami being a player for a QB late and resetting their team for the next 3-4 years...
If that were the plan, it makes Wilkins, Hunt and AVG's departures feel even worse.

I would not even worry about, they are not going to pick either of them that high.
Lol. Don't tell me. Because Benjamin Allbright says so.
He's a great source but he's not the only one but if you are a Broncos fan and don't pay him any attention I don't know what to tell you that won't sound snarky so I'll leave it at that.

I'll say again if you people believe Penix is a lock in round one go make yourself some money. A lot of places have the O/U at 4.5 QB's in round one. You do have to lay 2 to win 1 but you are also getting free Nix in the deal.

Personally I think he and Nix both have a "chance" to go in round one, but I'd not predict either, no chance in top 12 and I'd say not in the top 20 but never know with the Raiders, and think Nix has a better shot then Penix.

He's a great source but he's not the only one but if you are a Broncos fan and don't pay him any attention I don't know what to tell you that won't sound snarky so I'll leave it at that.
Said in jest. Peace
I knew that mane. But at the same time I don’t think you put the stock in his reporting I do and it baffles me since you are the Broncos fan. That’s all I’m saying. And fwiw don’t even really like the oddball, or agree with on everything but he’s got some really credible info especially on the Broncos.

I’ll add he’s a lot more cocksure that Nix or Penix are not first round picks than me. I don’t predict either but think both have a chance. A chance which will increase heavily to me at pick 23 if the Vikings can’t move up, though I’ve said before I think they’d go Nix between the 2.

Last thing I’ll add since this is a Penix thread I think it was Mike Giardi(sp?) who tweeted the other day that he’s heard some coaches are a lot higher on Penix then their scouts. That’s interesting to me if true and they tell us every year there is no such thing as risers/fallers yada yada but this is an example of how that’s not always true since coaches tend to get involved in the process later.

Even though Penix got a clean bill of health at the combine and has been healthy the last few years I think a lot of teams are gonna pass.

Trading down in this draft to later first and picking up an extra pick(s) would be huge for any team with needs. Hoping my Fins do this. DEN could still take a QB later first and pick up extra capital.
If the Broncos could trade down and get a round two pick which they don’t have that would be huge. If Brock Bowers is there at 12 I hope they take him and deal with QB later. I wouldn’t mind rolling the dice with a Spencer Rattler, Jordan Travis or Joe Milton. They will be able to add a vet after teams release QB’s after the draft. Heck I don’t even hate tanking for “2” Shedeur Sanders.

Said in jest. Peace
I knew that mane. But at the same time I don’t think you put the stock in his reporting I do and it baffles me since you are the Broncos fan. That’s all I’m saying. And fwiw don’t even really like the oddball, or agree with on everything but he’s got some really credible info especially on the Broncos.

I’ll add he’s a lot more cocksure that Nix or Penix are not first round picks than me. I don’t predict either but think both have a chance. A chance which will increase heavily to me at pick 23 if the Vikings can’t move up, though I’ve said before I think they’d go Nix between the 2.

Last thing I’ll add since this is a Penix thread I think it was Mike Giardi(sp?) who tweeted the other day that he’s heard some coaches are a lot higher on Penix then their scouts. That’s interesting to me if true and they tell us every year there is no such thing as risers/fallers yada yada but this is an example of how that’s not always true since coaches tend to get involved in the process later.
Actually I do respect Allbright's Broncos-related reporting. Just a little too heavy on the bluster and claims of inside info, and too light on the reasoning for my personal taste. All good.

Regarding Nix and Penix, IMO it's binary. Either they are judged "franchise quality"....or not. And if Nix and Penix are viewed as franchise quality by a team, I feel strongly that a coach will go after them in the draft at the very first oppty, and not roll the dice like they might another more-interchangeable position in hopes that they will still be available later. I.e. the opportunity cost of waiting and missing out could be huge.

And from what I've researched there are multiple teams that view each of them as franchise quality.

In essence just a supply-demand argument given the value of the position and from observing how the FA QB market went.

RP (Derrick Klassen) is charting QBs and well, Penix didn't look so good.
He said Nix's chart looked better, which is a great reminder that one data set is just one data set.

Cause they ain't even in the same ballpark throwing the ball.

I'm surprised we have not seen Winston comparisons, because Winston also chucked it around
There is so much that goes into whether a QB is good in the NFL that a single chart or data set can't fully explain. I really appreciate guys like Matt Waldman who have been doing film review for a long time and have a baseline that is consistent for all QBs they review. Guys like that may not always be right but you can read through their report on to how they got to that position on a certain player. He also explains what type of system a player may excel in etc.

You get coaches and GMs who are set in their ways and draft a player (any position) and try to plug them into a spot that doesn't suit them or play to their strengths.

Anyways, I always keep an open mind and won't let one report or data set swing me too far one way or another. Look at all the people who said Stroud would suck in the NFL because he didn't do well on that one test. They are pretty quite now but they were 100% sure he was going to fail in the NFL because of that ONE test.

My thoughts - keep an open mind on everyone because you may miss out otherwise.

Notes from the podcast associated with Klassen's RP charting conclusions.

24 yr old 6 yr player with bad injury history.
Didn't emerge until he had 3 NFL wrs and 2 NFL OTs
Overall charted accuracy worst of the top 6 QB prospects
Worse than ANYONE he charted last year
Threw alot of bad deep balls that were caught
Still just 43% success on deep balls
Terrible accuracy in the 1-10 yard range
Worst open window success rate of top 6
Out of pocket success rate far lowest of top 6
Worst success rate under pressure of the top 6
Led class throwing to covered receivers

Put it all together against Texas in the semifinal, and those plays dominate his hightlights
Compares that effort to some of Jameis Winston's best

3rd maybe early 4th round grade, but expected to go much sooner

opinions seem to vary widely on Penix, but I agree with Phil Simms(Ross Tucker podcast)...Penix is one of the best prospects of this class.

Wouldn't be surprised if he has one of the best NFL careers of this class.

I would take him ahead of every QB prospect not named Caleb. I believe he's the best value based on mock draft ADP.

Put it all together against Texas in the semifinal, and those plays dominate his hightlights

According to that chart these are 2024 throws.

Why not chart all of his throws or at least more than 2024 before coming to such conclusions?

If he has that is not reflected in the chart.

It seems a bit strange to me that he would be green on post routes but red on corner routes for example. Yes the corner route is harder to throw, the ball needs to travel further and it may cross the defenders location making this a window the throw needs to get over or away from.

Still how many throws are we talking about here?

Random variance of who the receiver was on that target, the coverage and other context of those plays.

Sometimes a QB will sail that corner route on purpose so only the WR has a chance, but it's a difficult catch to make.

All kinds of things go into each charted event.

Last edited:

This guy does not like Penix at all and just keeps throwing out shade. There are other scouts/analysts who say the opposite on many of these.

Going to be very polarizing the closer we get to the draft.

This guy does not like Penix at all and just keeps throwing out shade. There are other scouts/analysts who say the opposite on many of these.

Is the data wrong though? What's he charting? @Biabreakable says that these were "2024 throws," which I didn't understand. Seems to me he charted everything from all these guys for the previous season.

Is the data wrong though? What's he charting? @Biabreakable says that these were "2024 throws," which I didn't understand. Seems to me he charted everything from all these guys for the previous season.
I guess the question is, do you believe what he says and what he "sees". There are other people who chart and scout Penix who have said opposite things than what is out here.

I'm just saying - we have people who have watched Penix and charted games and have come out with a different opinion. Who is going to be right? Do you trust Klassen? Maybe he's right. But maybe he isn't.

I think a lot of it will come down to fit, coaching and scheme of the team that drafts him. If it ends up a bad fit then Klassen can say "see I was right".

I'll take the info from Klassen and add it to my QB lists but as it is with anything, I will never rule anyone "out" for drafting. If you say you are out on a guy you end up missing on some that hit.

Yeah. He seems to be trying too hard. His Maye love is in direct conflict with his Penix hate. I just listened to the Maye podcast and despite some poor analytics, he just loves Maye. He's tall, he's big, his fast, he has a cannon. He's better than Caleb. I dunno. I respect the time put in nd the charting metrics, but he seems inconsistent applying his own methodology with exaggerated favorites and least favortes.

@Biabreakable all your questions are addressed in the referenced podcast. I confess my opinion of Penix is all over the place. I went from thinking he benefited too much from his surrounding talent to thinking I underrated him and back again.

The thing that lowered my thinking was the careful charting of his deep balls that my lazy eyes just liked seeing all the completions. Odunze and Polk are very advanced with contested catches. Odunze and McMillan are very advanced tracking slightly poor throws. They went a long way to padding Penix's stats. :shrug:

I'm sure he meant 2023.

An interesting thought experiment Klassen proposed was how would Penix have looked in Maye or William's situations. He thinks it would have been a disaster. He also likes QBs who deal with fierce pressure in college as it prepares them. Penix didn't deal with much, but he didn't look good when he did.

An interesting thought experiment Klassen proposed was how would Penix have looked in Maye or William's situations. He thinks it would have been a disaster. He also likes QBs who deal with fierce pressure in college as it prepares them. Penix didn't deal with much, but he didn't look good when he did.
Agree. Major happy feet and looked incredibly off balance to me when things weren't perfect. I think he's a huge bust.

A lot is going to come down to how evaluators see his long term prospects regarding his past injuries. I think there are enough question marks about his game to make him a hard pass by many teams. I wouldn’t be shocked if he fell to the third or fourth round. If teams aren’t comfortable taking him n the first are they going to give up a valuable second or early third for him? Maybe! I agree he will be polarizing. He could easily end up being the guy. I think this could be a situation where whether he succeeds or fails people will be saying “What were we thinking?”.

There are several QB’s in this draft who didn’t do things or weren’t asked to do thing. The question will be were they incapable or was there just not the need for this skill set? Teams are going to have to take a tremendous leap of faith on some of these guy’s. The only can’t miss guy in this draft is Caleb. I would not make a massive move up for any of these other guy’s except maybe Jayden Daniels and this would be terrifying. Maye and McCarthy at least have youth on their side.

It says on the chart that it is 2024 which I guess refers to the 2023 season. Maybe this means something else?

Anyhow sometimes these people only chart 3 or 5 games. I don't know how many have been charted here.

But small sample size could explain part of that.

Yeah. He seems to be trying too hard. His Maye love is in direct conflict with his Penix hate. I just listened to the Maye podcast and despite some poor analytics, he just loves Maye. He's tall, he's big, his fast, he has a cannon. He's better than Caleb. I dunno. I respect the time put in nd the charting metrics, but he seems inconsistent applying his own methodology with exaggerated favorites and least favortes.

@Biabreakable all your questions are addressed in the referenced podcast. I confess my opinion of Penix is all over the place. I went from thinking he benefited too much from his surrounding talent to thinking I underrated him and back again.

The thing that lowered my thinking was the careful charting of his deep balls that my lazy eyes just liked seeing all the completions. Odunze and Polk are very advanced with contested catches. Odunze and McMillan are very advanced tracking slightly poor throws. They went a long way to padding Penix's stats. :shrug:
The Maye/Penix stuff here from Klassen is funny.

Maye's 2022 was better when he had receivers like Downs. But Maye gets the credit here. Maye takes a dip in 2023 as Tez Walker is out for the first half of the season but Maye gets a pass.

Penix has good receivers but its the receivers that make him look good. No credit to Penix - guy is trash.

I'm going to keep putting together information on QBs and will take in all the good and bad stuff but I have no skin in the game until my pick comes up and I have to make a decision if the value is right and if it makes sense.

I'll finish with this, a guy like Matt Waldman (check out his scouting report) is lower on Maye and higher on Penix than consensus. He's worth the read for sure but a lot of it is opposite of what Klassen has charted and looked at. I lean towards Waldman myself who explains everything very well. Both Maye and Penix have their own things they need to work on but it goes back to scheme, fit, coaching etc on if they will be successful. What if Maye goes to a team with zero weapons like NE? And NE doesn't draft any WRs? Is it Mayes fault he has nothing to work with and fails?

That is a lot of rambling for today...

The Maye/Penix stuff here from Klassen is funny.

Maye's 2022 was better when he had receivers like Downs. But Maye gets the credit here. Maye takes a dip in 2023 as Tez Walker is out for the first half of the season but Maye gets a pass.

Penix has good receivers but its the receivers that make him look good. No credit to Penix - guy is trash.

I'm going to keep putting together information on QBs and will take in all the good and bad stuff but I have no skin in the game until my pick comes up and I have to make a decision if the value is right and if it makes sense.

I'll finish with this, a guy like Matt Waldman (check out his scouting report) is lower on Maye and higher on Penix than consensus. He's worth the read for sure but a lot of it is opposite of what Klassen has charted and looked at. I lean towards Waldman myself who explains everything very well. Both Maye and Penix have their own things they need to work on but it goes back to scheme, fit, coaching etc on if they will be successful. What if Maye goes to a team with zero weapons like NE? And NE doesn't draft any WRs? Is it Mayes fault he has nothing to work with and fails?

That is a lot of rambling for today...
Right.

Well the quality of the WR as well as scheme will have an effect on which types of routes are more successful than others being charted here.

Maybe for 2 or 3 games of charting a certain WR was out during those games and he is the only guy good at corner routes on their roster. Maybe they don't have any WR good at that a whole season, but the previous season they did.

I'll finish with this, a guy like Matt Waldman (check out his scouting report) is lower on Maye and higher on Penix than consensus.

i've known Matt since 1999 when we both wrote for FFToday. He sent me this crazy dm around 2003 asking my opinion of this idea he had to scout 100s of skill position players every year before the draft and publish his results. He wondered what I thought, if it could maybe be marketable, like my opinion mattered lol. I encouraged him cuz why not?

Love Matt. Respect his rigor. Check myself when we disagree. I prefer Maye and I'm used to being wrong when I disagree with him. :)

If Maye couldn't dominate the weak sauce ACC the way Penix and Nix dominated the much stronger Pac-12 what sort of chance does he stand in the NFL? Didn't he have 2 games in '23 with 50% completion? That's awful.

If Maye couldn't dominate the weak sauce ACC the way Penix and Nix dominated the much stronger Pac-12 what sort of chance does he stand in the NFL? Didn't he have 2 games in '23 with 50% completion? That's awful.

By this thinking Penix and Nix must be better than Caleb too? Maye had a crap OL, one decent wr who may stick in the nfl but it's probably as a special teamer. While Penix stood tall with little pressure, Maye got sacked over and over again. Penix played with an elite LT who will be drafted in the 1st round and an excellent RT who will be an NFL starter for years. He also had a massive and dominant guard (Kalepo) who was an underclassmen but will certainly be starting in the NFl in a couple years. Penix had an elite alpha wr and two more who will be drafted in rds 2/3 and be eventual NFL starters. Not mentioned much, but Penix also had a very good receiving TE (Culp) who ran 4.47 at the combine and is probably going to make an NFL roster. Penix also had an Rb Waldman ranks 5th in this class. Penix also had a great offensive coordinator who's now with the Seahawks. It's a team game and he led an awesome offense. That doesn't make him better than freak talents who weren't so fortunate, like Drake and Caleb.

By this thinking Penix and Nix must be better than Caleb too? Maye had a crap OL, one decent wr who may stick in the nfl but it's probably as a special teamer. While Penix stood tall with little pressure, Maye got sacked over and over again. Penix played with an elite LT who will be drafted in the 1st round and an excellent RT who will be an NFL starter for years. He also had a massive and dominant guard (Kalepo) who was an underclassmen but will certainly be starting in the NFl in a couple years. Penix had an elite alpha wr and two more who will be drafted in rds 2/3 and be eventual NFL starters. Not mentioned much, but Penix also had a very good receiving TE (Culp) who ran 4.47 at the combine and is probably going to make an NFL roster. Penix also had an Rb Waldman ranks 5th in this class. Penix also had a great offensive coordinator who's now with the Seahawks. It's a team game and he led an awesome offense. That doesn't make him better than freak talents who weren't so fortunate, like Drake and Caleb.

Very good posting, and here are the context-less raw stats during the ****-conference seasons for both:

Maye
'22 - 517 att / 4300-38-7
'23 - 425 / 3600-24-9

Penix
'19 - 160 / 1400-10-4
'20 - 220 / 1650-14-4
'21 - 162 / 940-4-7

Sort of close on a per-attempt basis, especially if you add injury context to Penix' numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread