What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Michael Penix Jr., ATL (1 Viewer)

I'm a huge Penix fan, but this is fine for Cousins.

He plays well he starts all season and probably next. Once 2025 ends, it's over and Penix takes the reigns (if not earlier).

It's a weird pick, absolutely, but I actually kinda like it. Allows Penix to recover from any ailments he may have, helps him learn and no rush/pressure.

Now, why they didnt tell Cousins, no idea
Because Cousins wouldn't have signed with them if he knew they would do this.

He isn't happy about it. He doesn't want a younger QB looking over his shoulder casting any doubt about Cousins being the starter. He cares about this more than money.

he signed a while ago... why didnt they tell him before the draft? they knew they were tkaing penix, obviously.
Well I would think they knew their draft board before they signed Cousins.

I agree it seems like they should have told Cousins this was at least a possibility they do something like take Penix after they signed Cousins and before drafting him. That would still make Cousins unhappy, but would cushion the blow somewhat.

Based on Cousins reaction to the pick through his agent (intentionally putting the information out) he didn't.

he signed a while ago... why didnt they tell him before the draft? they knew they were tkaing penix, obviously.
I believe the Falcons went into the Draft with a plan to get Penix, but many things can happen on Draft Day. A team can leapfrog you and take your targeted player off the board, you can receive a trade offer you cannot refuse, or another player you did not expect to fall to you could be on the board. Why upset the apple cart unnecessarily? Moreover, a team must remain tight-lipped about their draft intentions.
This is true.

You can't trust Cousins to not shoot his mouth off if he knew their draft intentions.

He is already costing them with his honesty.

You don't win a Draft by trying to win a popularity contest on Draft Day
It was notable watching the Jeremiah's and Bucky Brooks' of the world try and see the possible reasoning, and then reading every draft content creator on Twitter with the most smug attitude, dunking on Atlanta.

We deserve better draft writers than we get. They didn't play ball, they didn't study journalism, they didn't work for an NFL team, they got a mic and a ring light, put their baseball cap on backwards, and behave like experts.

Donkeys, the lot of them.
Well said. Anyone can be a "content creator" these days. Someone says something and everyone jumps on the train. Need to be careful who you are following.

I'll toss out another plug for Matt Waldman.

I believe the Falcons went into the Draft with a plan to get Penix, but many things can happen on Draft Day. A team can leapfrog you and take your targeted player off the board, you can receive a trade offer you cannot refuse, or another player you did not expect to fall to you could be on the board. Why upset the apple cart unnecessarily? Moreover, a team must remain tight-lipped about their draft intentions.
100% - can't tip your hand especially if it got leaked and someone took your guy.

Also after the draft it was reported that Cousins ended up calling Penix and having a good chat. Not surprising Cousins was upset initially but sounds like that didn't last long and its all good now.

I'm a huge Penix fan, but this is fine for Cousins.

He plays well he starts all season and probably next. Once 2025 ends, it's over and Penix takes the reigns (if not earlier).

It's a weird pick, absolutely, but I actually kinda like it. Allows Penix to recover from any ailments he may have, helps him learn and no rush/pressure.

Now, why they didnt tell Cousins, no idea
Because Cousins wouldn't have signed with them if he knew they would do this.

He isn't happy about it. He doesn't want a younger QB looking over his shoulder casting any doubt about Cousins being the starter. He cares about this more than money.

A guy who launched his career looking over somebody else's shoulder at QB upset that another QB is looking over his. Life comes at you fast, boys.

ATL knew they had pick 8 and Penix would likely be there for them to draft. I love the draft pick but don’t understand why ATL signed Cousins too.
That right there is the issue. Pennix was going to be there at 8. They knew they were getting Pennix. Why tie up their cap with Cousins if that is your plan? They aren't similar QB's. You could get a cheaper bridge QB if that is what you wanted. You don't pay $100M if you are taking Pennix at 8.
They didn't know 100%. 3 teams (NO, SEA, LV) were trying to trade up. you can't say that until the pick is there. If you want to complain about the money to Cousins fine, no problems there but trades always happen in drafts and 3 other teams were trying to trade in. Even Minny who ended up with a QB was still trying to trade up.

They didn't know 100%. 3 teams (NO, SEA, LV) were trying to trade up. you can't say that until the pick is there. If you want to complain about the money to Cousins fine, no problems there but trades always happen in drafts and 3 other teams were trying to trade in. Even Minny who ended up with a QB was still trying to trade up.
By and large Pennix was the #5 or 6 QB on most people's evaluation. Atlanta picking at #8 could assume with a 95% chance that Pennix was going to be there at 8. To say they worried about those other teams trading up to 4-7 to take Pennix is not realistic. They knew Pennix as going to be there for them if that's who they wanted.

100% - can't tip your hand especially if it got leaked and someone took your guy.

Also after the draft it was reported that Cousins ended up calling Penix and having a good chat. Not surprising Cousins was upset initially but sounds like that didn't last long and its all good now.
"Cousins and Penix had a chat and it's all good now." Lol. Too funny.

Atlanta addressed their QB needs for today and for tomorrow. As a fan, I'd be thrilled especially considering we are discussing a team that has never won a Super Bowl and has had precisley one elite QB in its history.

HC Morris came out and said "we aren't going to be picking in the top 10 next year" and if he is correct there won't be a Michael Penix for them to draft in 2025. This is NOT a good QB class for QBs.

And this isn't Kirk Cousin's team. The guy hasn't played a snap for them. He is 36 and coming off a serious injury. Never mobile to begin with, he'll be a sitting duck back there. He isn't owed anything. It's not HIS team. A guy walking around with a 1-4 playoff record at age 36 should have just a little more humility and grace, IMO.

Though I'm not sure I buy all the "OUTRAGE" stories being reported, either. Kirk is a smart guy. He knows his position needs an insurance policy....just look at what happened in Minnesota last season.

By and large Pennix was the #5 or 6 QB on most people's evaluation. Atlanta picking at #8 could assume with a 95% chance that Pennix was going to be there at 8. To say they worried about those other teams trading up to 4-7 to take Pennix is not realistic. They knew Pennix as going to be there for them if that's who they wanted.
There were a lot of scouts and previous NFL QBs who had Penix as #2 or 3. Going into the college football playoffs Penix was #2 on a lot of boards.

I disagree with the bolded. Some maybe did but not all. Should have 1 college game vs the best team in the nation swing the bar that far to the other side?

And what if its true? What if Cousins is actually OK with it? Is that not a possibility?

And what if its true? What if Cousins is actually OK with it? Is that not a possibility?
No. It's not a possibility. Because as a rule starting NFL QB's want an organization to spend its resources helping them succeed while they are the starting quarterback. Their self-interest is in winning now, not in the future after they're gone.

No. It's not a possibility. Because as a rule starting NFL QB's want an organization to spend its resources helping them succeed while they are the starting quarterback. Their self-interest is in winning now, not in the future after they're gone.
So Cousins is going to be pissed and resentful for the next 2 years? Each day at practice and in meetings he's going to be upset and carry the bad attitude?

Or he realized after his initial shock that things will be fine and he can work with his teammate each day in meetings and on the field. Penix sitting behind Cousins and learning from him will be beneficial.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Kirk Cousins and Michael Penix Jr. spoke on the phone Thursday night after the Atlanta Falcons stunningly took Penix with the No. 8 pick in the NFL draft.

Penix, who led the Washington Huskies to the national championship game last season, said Cousins reached out to him and that the two quarterbacks had a "very good conversation," although he did not disclose specifics about what they spoke about.

"I'm going to keep it just between me and him right now," Penix said Friday at a news conference at the Falcons' facility. "But it was definitely a good conversation, and I'm super excited to work with him, and he said he's the same with me."

Falcons coach Raheem Morris described the call between Cousins and Penix as "a pretty cool outing by both of those guys to have the empathy and the humility to talk to each other about what was going to happen and how [Cousins] talked about his support.

Adults being adults and professionals being professionals. Media and people just want to hate this and drum up a story for hits and likes. These guys are teammates now and will be working together.

So Cousins is going to be pissed and resentful for the next 2 years? Each day at practice and in meetings he's going to be upset and carry the bad attitude?

Or he realized after his initial shock that things will be fine and he can work with his teammate each day in meetings and on the field. Penix sitting behind Cousins and learning from him will be beneficial.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Kirk Cousins and Michael Penix Jr. spoke on the phone Thursday night after the Atlanta Falcons stunningly took Penix with the No. 8 pick in the NFL draft.

Penix, who led the Washington Huskies to the national championship game last season, said Cousins reached out to him and that the two quarterbacks had a "very good conversation," although he did not disclose specifics about what they spoke about.

"I'm going to keep it just between me and him right now," Penix said Friday at a news conference at the Falcons' facility. "But it was definitely a good conversation, and I'm super excited to work with him, and he said he's the same with me."

Falcons coach Raheem Morris described the call between Cousins and Penix as "a pretty cool outing by both of those guys to have the empathy and the humility to talk to each other about what was going to happen and how [Cousins] talked about his support.

Adults being adults and professionals being professionals. Media and people just want to hate this and drum up a story for hits and likes. These guys are teammates now and will be working together.
I never said Cousins wouldn't be a pro and do his job. That's completely different than nebulous terms like "all good" and "ok with it" and "pissed and resentful."

I never said Cousins wouldn't be a pro and do his job. That's completely different than nebulous terms like "all good" and "ok with it" and "pissed and resentful."
Well sounds like it is all good as per the article I linked.

Cousins may be a pro and say the right things, but he will never, ever be "all good" with ATL expending first round resources on his backup when they could have been spent helping him become more successful.

Cousins may be a pro and say the right things, but he will never, ever be "all good" with ATL expending first round resources on his backup when they could have been spent helping him become more successful.

Do you think Cousins would have been upset had Minnesota had the foresight to add a decent back-up QB prior to last season? Might have saved their season if they had somebody decent instead of a guy who wants to be an astronaut.

As far as helping Kirk, their OL ranked #4 last year by PFF, they have #1 draft picks at RB, WR and TE with depth at RB and WR so what more could have have added there to 'help him become more successful'? He's coming into a great situation already but if he got hurt, then what? Now they've addressed that issue, now AND in the future.

Hey if Cousins is actually upset, he can return some bonus money, and take his chances as a FA. Otherwise, unless he has final say on roster in his contract, I assume this is no big deal. He ain't freaking LeBron

Why believe one and not the other?
Cousins' beef is with the organization that hired him, not with Penix personally. That's pretty clear in everything I've written.
Can’t imagine being mad at an organization that felt I was worth $100M.

If Penix was the goods he probably wouldnt have lasted tilll the 8th pick
Dont forget Penix was on a loaded offense ... Great Oline and Great WRs and played 6 years of college football
He wasnt very good before being in that situation
Do you need a list of good QBs taken after pick 8? I think I can rustle one up

Cousins deal is two years, then we'll see, to quote Andrew Brandt. He has 35 mill in dead cap when he's 38 years old, in two years.

We just assuming every QB plays till 40 now? I'm not.

If Penix is the goods, it won't matter if two years of his rookie deal is "wasted"
If Penix was the goods he probably wouldnt have lasted tilll the 8th pick
Dont forget Penix was on a loaded offense ... Great Oline and Great WRs and played 6 years of college football
He wasnt very good before being in that situation
CJ Stroud threw to possibly the best group of WRs to ever come out of college. Was that good or bad? I'm lost on how to frame it. Do QBs that can make their WRs look good get credit or do they suck because their WRs made them look good?

OK serious thought now and I want everyone to consider this possibility. What if Penix can facilitate the offense (similar to Purdy in SF) and get the ball to his play makers. We know he can sling the ball (9000 yards and 65+ TDs in 2 years). We play this game of fantasy football and passing yards and TDs are good. Receiving yards and TDs are good. London and Pitts owners complained for years about no QB. Now they draft a guy that can chuck it. Is this not good? If the offense is better and a threat to take the top off the D does that not open up things for Bijan? Makes his life easier. The offense overall should score more TDs. I'm not even saying Penix has to be elite, he just has to do what he did in college and get the ball to his receivers. I think he can do that.

Everyone is so stuck on the fact he went pick 8. It's done, it happened and in the end ATL needed a long term plan at QB. We will see if that works out or not. I'm hoping it does because it means its good for fantasy.
They have Cousins for 4 years and Penix for 5 if they pickup his 5th year option ... The Future is now for the Falcons

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread