What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaches on the hot seat (1 Viewer)

Chip Kelly is not on any hot seat. Lurie will not ever fire him. Chip leaving on his own though is a possibility.

Can the Titans please get Jeff back if St. Louis lets him go?
Why the hell would you want such a mediocre coach back, a coach who has failed again and again to develop a young QB. Do you yearn for 7-9 seasons that much?
Nope. I yearn to be relevant again and return to the playoffs and the Super bowl....
You won't be with Fisher. He's terrible at producing an offense.

Why the hell would you want such a mediocre coach back, a coach who has failed again and again to develop a young QB. Do you yearn for 7-9 seasons that much?
Nope. I yearn to be relevant again and return to the playoffs and the Super bowl....
Then you want anyone but Jeff Fisher

Fisher is actually the poster boy for the good old retread network. He's terribly mediocre.
Yup, he's exactly the type of guy I described in the other thread about the direction of the NFL. Just keeps getting jobs, keeps them forever, .500 coach at best.

I think Jay Gruden has done a pretty good job considering how bad that roster is. And they are still in striking distance in the NFC least. Chuck Pagano has to be on the hot seat as well.

Fisher is actually the poster boy for the good old retread network. He's terribly mediocre.
Yup, he's exactly the type of guy I described in the other thread about the direction of the NFL. Just keeps getting jobs, keeps them forever, .500 coach at best.
I can see the intrigue with a guy like Fisher. What he does well, he does really well. Plus he's perceived to be a great gadget guy. But after years of not being able to improve upon his weaknesses, he needs to go and never return. The EPL has it right with their concept of relegation.

I think Jay Gruden has done a pretty good job considering how bad that roster is. And they are still in striking distance in the NFC least. Chuck Pagano has to be on the hot seat as well.
Was going to post the same thing. I don't love the guy, and he very well may not be the answer for Washington, but the team has over-performed this year, and it would be silly to fire him after only two years, especially when it's still not clear if he has his franchise QB.

(On second thought, it's pretty clear that he doesn't.)

No mention of Payton? I don't necessarily think he should be fired, but any time a coach is getting rid of his coordinators mid-season it's probably a sign that he's trying to protect his own job.

Indy did a good job pulling out the win today, but I agree that Pagano should be pretty high on the list.

I can see the intrigue with a guy like Fisher. What he does well, he does really well. Plus he's perceived to be a great gadget guy. But after years of not being able to improve upon his weaknesses, he needs to go and never return. The EPL has it right with their concept of relegation.
Great gadget guy? What does that even mean? He's had Tavon Austin for three years and didn't do anything with him until he got a new OC this year.

Was going to post the same thing. I don't love the guy, and he very well may not be the answer for Washington, but the team has over-performed this year, and it would be silly to fire him after only two years, especially when it's still not clear if he has his franchise QB.

Non-Washington fans don't have the perspective on this, they just see the record and are pleasantly surprised. There are so many games where we aren't even competitive, just totally out-coached and out-prepared. We commit penalties at what has to be a near historic rate, and play ultra sloppy. Fundamentals are ####. And the team comes out of half time like all their mothers just died most of the time. Gruden has done a good job with some things, but he's not a good game day coach and he's not a brilliant game planner. That and his hiring of Joe Berry (whose only other DC job was on the 0-16 Lions) will probably sink him eventually. It will depend on what the GM thinks of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great gadget guy? What does that even mean? He's had Tavon Austin for three years and didn't do anything with him until he got a new OC this year.
As an outsider he's perceived as unconventional. That special teams play with Stedman Bailey last year was unlike anything I've ever seen. The music city miracle is iconic. What's he's done with Tavon Austin on offense is a testament to his weakness. He's obviously not a great offensive mind.

Non-Washington fans don't have the perspective on this, they just see the record and are pleasantly surprised. There are so many games where we aren't even competitive, just totally out-coached and out-prepared. We commit penalties at what has to be a near historic rate, and play ultra sloppy. Fundamentals are ####. And the team comes out of half time like all their mothers just died most of the time. Gruden has done a good job with some things, but he's not a good game day coach and he's not a brilliant game planner. That and his hiring of Joe Berry (whose only other DC job was on the 0-16 Lions) will probably sink him eventually. It will depend on what the GM thinks of him.
:goodposting: They've won games in spite of Gruden, not because of him.

:goodposting: They've won games in spite of Gruden, not because of him.
The only reason to keep Gruden is if Cousins keeps growing to end the year, wins some games, and they want to extend him. Then you basically have to keep Gruden because all of Kirk's upside resides in the "going into his 3rd year in Gruden's offense" category. He's worthless to us if he's starting over with yet another coach. We wouldn't want him to grow into the guy again, we'd only keep him if he's already good enough to be the guy...and mastery of even Gruden's boring offense would be worth keeping around if McCloughan keeps adding talent around them. Look at the Bengals, Marvin Lewis didn't suddenly morph into a great coach, they just put so much talent around him and his efficient QB that it didn't matter.

Fisher is good at drafting RBs and defense. He is below average at everything else. Another example of a mediocre HC that needs an elite QB to win.

Fischer issue is he always has an OC that runs that stupid vanilla offense. He has to hire a guy that is creative and to let them run the offense without him putting his hands on it. His choices as OC have been a total joke.

Users who are viewing this thread