What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coach/Exec of the year--vote here (1 Viewer)

Your choice for Executive of the Year

• Bill Belichick--NE

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Chris Grier--MIA

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Reggie McKenzie--OAK

Votes: 46 46.9%
  • Jon Robinson--TEN

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Jerry Jones--DAL

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • Jerry Reese--NYG

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Howie Roseman--PHI

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Thomas Dimitroff--ATL

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

massraider

Footballguy
Bill Belichick--Smart guys will tell you that building a winner is one thing, but maintaining one is much harder.  Belichick refuses to mortgage the future for the present, trading away Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins for draft picks, and yet still maintained a strong defense.  Went 3-1 the first 4 games with two different inexperienced QBs, and continually keeps the players motivated.  Probably in the top 3 in coach of the year talk for the past 15 years.  I can't make much of an argument against him.  Team is constantly, constantly, better than the sum of the parts.

Andy Reid--There was one point this season when everyone realized all at once that the Chiefs have been killing it since middle of last year, and Reid has quietly been killing it in KC with pedestrian WRs, his most dynamic weapon on IR for the better part of two years, and his best pass rusher on IR for half the season.  Any AFC West fan will tell you the Chiefs never beat themselves, and always seem to outsmart their opponent.  Having one of the best records in the league with a QB that can't throw it further than 15 yards is really impressive, and despite the cries of 'CLOCK MANAGEMENT!!' that have followed him to KC from the hyenas in Philly, Reid is one of the better coaches in the league.  

Jack Del Rio--I don't believe he is one of the game's top strategists, his value has been in infusing a young team with confidence, and the game-winning two point conversion in New Orleans week 1 set the tone.  No coach has had more gambles pay off this year, some high profile gutsy calls have worked out.  Oddly, that might also be why he isn't the coach of the year. The fact that the Raiders couldn't put teams away, and maybe played to the level of their competition hurts him here.  I say oddly, because compared to where this team was when he took over, one could make an argument that with this talent they shouldn't have been in so many close games.  

Jason Garrett--Yo......this team was 4-12 last year.  No one thought Dallas had a championship defense, and suspensions robbed them of their top two pass rushers.  They lost a Pro Bowl QB right off the bat, plugged in a 4th round QB, and had the #1 seed wrapped up with weeks to spare.  Underrated coaching job, especially coaching amidst the pressure and circus that Dallas always is.  

Mike Mularkey--A weird choice?  Maybe, and he won't win, but he deserves some props.  6 months ago, everyone with a typewriter was making 'Exotic Smashmouth' jokes, and he was on preseason lists of hot seat candidates.  He built an ofense for the players he had, an offense no one was running, and the Titans were a tough out all year, going from 3-13 to 8 wins this year, at least.  This team beat the Lions, Packers, Broncos, and Chiefs ths year.  I love when someone that everyone is kicking comes back and proves everyone wrong, and Mularkey did that.  

Ben McAdoo--6 wins last year, and 10 wins this year.  He has a QB on the downswing, no running game to count on, and the Giants have gone 8-2 the last ten weeks, and swept the NFC #1 seed.  Aside from Cowboys, not a ton of impressive wins over top opponents, but they beat the teams they played.  He got effort from bonus baby free agents, and re-energized a fading locker room.  

Dan Quinn--The Falcons sort of snuck up on people early on, after the Quinn honeymoon last year, things cooled off considerably.  Getting Matt Ryan to play at the top of his game, and getting solid defensive effort from a bunch of rookies and cast off vets.  Can wrap up #2 seed next week.  Quinn, like Del Rio, might be a beneficiary of an Exec of the year as much as being a coach of the year himself.  

Adam Gase--Solid candidate, and should be among top choices, IMO.  6-10 last year, and no one liked the direction this team was going.  6 wins to 10 wins, and this team started out 1-4, with the lone win coming over the Browns in OT.  Amazing turnaround this year, getting the team to tear off 9 wins in 10 games after that is unreal.  He got this record with Tannehill putting up pretty much the same numbers as last year, and getting great production from afterthought RB Jay Ajayi.  

Exec of the Year Candidates

I'm a personnel/draft geek, so I admit these choices interest me more.  Plus, I always believe grading a front office is more quantifiable than a coach.  

Bill Belichick--No splashy FA moves, but brought in Chris Hogan, Chris Long, re-signed Blount, and drafted Malcolm Mitchell, Joe Thuney, Elandon Roberts.  Acquired picks for Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, and probably gained a 4th or 5th round comp pick in 2018 by signing Michael Floyd for a few weeks.  Belichick the GM finds guys that are good at doing one or two things well, and BB the coach puts the players in a spot to do those things.  

Chris Grier--Olivier Vernon walked, Lamar Miller walked, and the team got better.  Grier traded down with the Eagles, getting their starting MLB, and watched Laremy Tunsil fall into their lap, with an assist from a gas mask bong, not a popular move at the time, but so far, so good.  He also brought in Andre Branch, and got some good play from him, and Isa Abdul-Quddus, who was valuable when Reshad Jones went down.  Probably not a front runner here as his draft was unimpressive overall, but deserves a mention.

Reggie McKenzie--I believe Reggie deserves exec of the year more than Del Rio does coach of the year, and his 2016 was solid, but not sure if he had the best 2016 of any exec.  The Raiders turnaround was much more of a product of previous moves by Reggie, like drafting Mack/Carr/Cooper.  However, he did sign Osemele and Bruce Irvin, both great FA moves, but Sean Smith and Reggie Nelson it can be argued have not paid off.  He re-signed Donald Penn, a guy many Raiders fans thought was done.  Penn was a Pro Bowler.  Picked up Perry Riley as a free agent, and Jalen Richard was signed after a tryout, he wasn't even a priority UDFA.  All the Raiders draft picks made the team, as did 6 UDFA.  Very fair to note that the Raiders had all kinds of money, and no big contracts, so Reggie has pretty much had a blank check, and hasn't had to make tough decisions that guys like Belichick have been making for years.  He has been adding free agents/UDFA and draft picks as well, excuse me, better than anyone for a few years now. :homer:  

Jon Robinson--Worked to build a team around their players, focusing on the O-line, drafting Conklin, signing Ben Jones, turned the #1 pick into Jack Conklin, Derrick Henry, and a 1st and 3rd next year.  Made an unpopular move in getting DeMarco Murray, and made some solid 2nd tier FA moves in Rashad Johnson and Rishard Matthews.  Sebastian Tretola and Kevin Byard contributed as rookies, and all that without getting anything from Kevin Dodd (IR).  Titans had what looks to be a very, very solid draft.  Very good offseason.  

Jerry Jones--Jerrah for exec of the year!  I know, sticks in my throat as well.  But results are results.  Without a ton of cap space, Jerry managed to not lose anyone, and draft his QB and RB for the forseeable future.   Jerry stuck with Garrett, and drafted his season-saving QB in the 4th round.  Dak wasn't his first choice?  Doesn't matter, they drafted him.  Draftees Maliek Collins and Anthony Brown both contributed, and mark my words, Charles Tapper is gonna be a player for them.  He didn't make any amazing moves in FA, but had biggest impact draft in the NFL.

Jerry Reese--Hey, anyone can spend a bunch of money on good players, right?  Not right.  Not even close.  Getting big ticket FA's to fit is difficult, and Snacks Harrison, Olivier Vernon, and Janoris Jenkins were ALL moves that were criticized, and all have paid off.  Re-signed JPP, drafted Eli Apple (another unpopular move), Sterling Shepherd, Darian Thompson (who was playing a lot before season-ending surgery) and Paul Perkins.  He also got some solid play from 2nd tier FAs like Keenan Robinson and Kelvin Sheppard.  Always give extra credit when unpopular moves work out.  

Howie Roseman--No exec made more massive moves than Howie did.  He put himself in a position to get his QBOTF by trading some overpriced bad fits to MIA, drafted Wentz, re-signed Malcolm Jenkins, Fletcher Cox, Vinny Curry, Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz, and signed Nigel Bradham, Rodney McLeod.  Then traded Sam Bradford for MIN 1st rounder in 2017, re-acquiring some draft capital he gave up in the Wentz deal.  The Eagles may have finished the season badly after a strong start, but things are going in the right direction.  

Thomas Dimitroff--I'm a big fan of his offseason.  Signed cheap vets that helped this year, like Clayborn, Shelby, and even Sean Weatherspoon.  Made some big ticket moves that also paid off in Alex Mack, Mohammad Sanu, Killed it in the draft with Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, Austin Hooper, and De'Vondre Campbell.  Re-signed his RT, Ryan Schraeder, to an extension in season, a move which will probably result in a bargain RT through 2021.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea that John Schneider in Seattle hasn't won the award for GM of the year yet is just stupid. He built a powerhouse team from scratch. He continues to crush the draft. He continues to kill it finding undrafted free agents that play. Get this, the team has only two first round draft picks on the entire roster. Just two. Meanwhile more than half of the roster the past two years has been undrafted. On top of this he keeps locking up guys that contribute after they get paid. 

Seriously, W T F ?

The idea that John Schneider in Seattle hasn't won the award for GM of the year yet is just stupid. He built a powerhouse team from scratch. He continues to crush the draft. He continues to kill it finding undrafted free agents that play. Get this, the team has only two first round draft picks on the entire roster. Just two. Meanwhile more than half of the roster the past two years has been undrafted. On top of this he keeps locking up guys that contribute after they get paid. 

Seriously, W T F ?
Are you saying he should win it this year? 

Odd, if you go into the Spencer Ware thread you'd find that Reid is not only the stupiest coach in the NFL, but possibly one of the stupiest humans to ever walk the face of the Earth. 

The deft mind of John Schneider sees a first round pick and says NAY, we shall instead have Percy Harvin.
Tough break. Cost them a chance to win the super bowl that season. Didn't it? You know you've got nothing to contribute if you're that focused on a single tree and can't see the whole forest. Hence the problem with a GM of the "year" award. 

Bronco Billy said:
Odd, if you go into the Spencer Ware thread you'd find that Reid is not only the stupiest coach in the NFL, but possibly one of the stupiest humans to ever walk the face of the Earth. 
Only 2% of the foolish population believes this and they just don't quit.  Reid does however love mediocre qb's and wins with a clever O and solid D. 

Hooper31 said:

Seriously, W T F ?
One could say he doesn't draft well in the first round if they only have 2 first round picks on the entire roster. Or we could point to the fact they've traded down frequently because more draft picks usually means more chances to get someone good. He's only had 4 1st rounders and 3 have been busts... 

A power house team? Since their superbowl win in 2013 they've gone down every single season. You want the definition of a power house, look at NE. That's a power house. 

Seattle's record from 2010 (the year Scneider took over) is essentially no different than Green Bay, PIttsburgh, close with Atlanta. He's not special

Sorry to burst your bubble

12th man all the way... oh wait... isn't that from Texas A&M? oopps

Coach of year I voted for Belihcik based on reasons in OP provided and I'd losing Gronk and adjusting just fine.

Exec of the year I voted Jerry for reasons given but also for stuff he did previous to this season. Hiring great assistant coaches and dedicating major assets to the OL and doing so at times under criticism, mainly the Frederick pick. He also got Tryon Smith locked up long term on one of the most team friendly contracts in the NFL, a freaking steal. Now I do think Stephen handles most of the GM duties but either way it's power delegated by Jerry so he gets the credit.

I voted Miami for both. They were dysfunctional last year and even this year early on they looked like a basket case. Kudos.

McKenzie deserves executive of the year hands down. He has single handedly turned a team from a complete disaster with a coaching carousel that rivals Cleveland and a where players go to die to a potential perennial winner. Not an easy feat. I miss him in GB... 

As far as coach of the year, Gase deserves it IMO. Miami was so dysfunctional last year and even this year. Gase turned it into a playoff team. He got the most out of his players and that's what a great coach does. Miami has a keeper in Gase.

Garrett will win coach of the year just because he has the best record. It's unfortunate because Dallas has had a contender for the last 5-6 seasons and finally they come together with a homerun at RB and QB because they completely crapped the bed last year. I remember last year that was supposed to be "their year." Somehow Garrett gets no downgrade from that disaster. 

One could say he doesn't draft well in the first round if they only have 2 first round picks on the entire roster. Or we could point to the fact they've traded down frequently because more draft picks usually means more chances to get someone good. He's only had 4 1st rounders and 3 have been busts... 

A power house team? Since their superbowl win in 2013 they've gone down every single season. You want the definition of a power house, look at NE. That's a power house. 

Seattle's record from 2010 (the year Scneider took over) is essentially no different than Green Bay, PIttsburgh, close with Atlanta. He's not special

Stop...Schneider is a great GM

McAdoo for coach. Giants, more than any other team, has no business being in the position they're in. 

Dmitroff for exec. Such impressive, low key additions in the offseason and the big addition of Mack which was as important as any addition any team made. This team last year showed no signs of being this good, and they are a very good team. I give him the edge over McKenzie because I think the Falcons are a better team right now than the Raiders and I Quinn was a better selection than DelRio. 

McKenzie deserves executive of the year hands down. He has single handedly turned a team from a complete disaster with a coaching carousel that rivals Cleveland and a where players go to die to a potential perennial winner. Not an easy feat. I miss him in GB... 

As far as coach of the year, Gase deserves it IMO. Miami was so dysfunctional last year and even this year. Gase turned it into a playoff team. He got the most out of his players and that's what a great coach does. Miami has a keeper in Gase.

Garrett will win coach of the year just because he has the best record. It's unfortunate because Dallas has had a contender for the last 5-6 seasons and finally they come together with a homerun at RB and QB because they completely crapped the bed last year. I remember last year that was supposed to be "their year." Somehow Garrett gets no downgrade from that disaster. 
This is one of a few reasons is Mcekenzie is not hands down the executive of the year but  more of a viable contender.

Both Gase and McKenzie were my second choices.

This is one of a few reasons is Mcekenzie is not hands down the executive of the year but  more of a viable contender.

Both Gase and McKenzie were my second choices.
But was Zeke ever a risky pick? He kind of fell into their lap. As far as Dak goes... I hold the opinion that Zeke and that OL make Dak a great QB. Not the other way around. I am of the strong opinion that Romo was never as good as he performed and he was more the result of the talent around him. I do believe Dallas would be the 1st seed had Romo been the QB all season. But, we will never know. So maybe you're right, Maybe Jerry does win it... he took a 4-12 team and made them into the best team in the NFL so far. Hard to compete with that. 

I don't think it is Garrett's fault he lost Romo to injury last season, and the replacement QBs were bad. McFadden had a pretty good year all things considered, but the QB play was dreadful.

I don't think it is Garrett's fault he lost Romo to injury last season, and the replacement QBs were bad. McFadden had a pretty good year all things considered, but the QB play was dreadful.
So if it's not his fault that he did so bad last year, then why would it be because of him that he did so well this year? Couldn't we say that Garrett's performance at HC has been tied specifically to his QB situation? Does that make a good coach? A coach of the year? Just asking... I hold the opinion of no, it doesn't make him coach of the year. He's not at fault for losing Romo and he's equally not to credit for Dak doing well. 

For Coach, I voted Belichick but it was a toss up with Garrett. Belichick keeps the Patriots just continuing on business as usual no matter the circumstances.

For exec, I voted McKenzie. Oakland hasn't been relevant in years and he has turned them around.

Why are you trying to pick an iFight? I assume that's it because you're just throwing random made-up crap against the wall and trying to see which one I will want to argue with. What's the point?

Garrett does not belong on this list. He might have the title of head coach but he is nothing more than Jerry's eyes and ears. The coordinators and assistant coaches do all the real coaching. There are quite a few exHCs on staff.

Adam Gase does more with less than anyone out there. Andy Reid? Cmon now. How far do they go in postseason , 1 and done most likely. Reid is his own worst enemy he gets far too conservative and apparently Kelce feels the same way too..you cant get beat at home vs. an inferior foe in the Titans who just got spanked by one of the worst teams in the league. Andy Reid looks the same in red as he did in green in Philly. Hes probably another Marty Schottenheimer..12-4/13-3, and one-n-done in postseason.

Garrett is doing what he did a few years ago when Dallas was all-world but lost to GB in playoffs. They just needed a reliable qb..

Id never say BB is coach of the year he has Tom Brady.yeah he won without Brady , incl a win in KC but he can beat Andy Reid with his eyes closed..but claiming BB is coach of the year is like saying Phil Jackson was the best ever  but in reality he coached about 8-10 of the greatest players.

McCarthy has had a good year using what he has at his disposal ( Montgomery at rb) ..he kept the team in a positive frame of mind during the adversity.

Del rio had done a very good rebuilding job..

Quinn has been killing it in ATL.his team is on fire.that win last week was huge.theyre a legit contender.

Id go Gase or Quinn.

Why are you trying to pick an iFight? I assume that's it because you're just throwing random made-up crap against the wall and trying to see which one I will want to argue with. What's the point?
your complete befuddled response as to how a God like schneider wasn't in this conversation warranted a reality check. not trying to pick a fight. just can't stand obnoxious seahawks fans that think they're the only team that is doing well and they're special.

none of what I said is made up... check the records. since 2010 many other teams have the samerecord.

NE is a powerhouse, Seattle is not (if they are then there are a lot of powerhouses in the nfl)

since 2010 schneiderhasn't drafted well in round 1

TexasA&M came up with 12th man way before seattle. 

Garrett does not belong on this list. He might have the title of head coach but he is nothing more than Jerry's eyes and ears. The coordinators and assistant coaches do all the real coaching. There are quite a few exHCs on staff.
I think this is actually good coaching and how it should be done.  Also those assistants are another reason why I'd vote for Jerry as exec.

I would personally not consider Garret the coach of the year but I must say it's pretty impressive when you have a meaningless game against a team fighting for the playoffs and you beat them soundly. That to me is a sign of  well coached team. Between that, clinching with two weeks to go and doing it with a rookie backfield are thing I'd say certainly merit at least being on the list.

But was Zeke ever a risky pick? He kind of fell into their lap. As far as Dak goes... I hold the opinion that Zeke and that OL make Dak a great QB. Not the other way around. I am of the strong opinion that Romo was never as good as he performed and he was more the result of the talent around him. I do believe Dallas would be the 1st seed had Romo been the QB all season. But, we will never know. So maybe you're right, Maybe Jerry does win it... he took a 4-12 team and made them into the best team in the NFL so far. Hard to compete with that. 
No Zeke for sure not risky but I recall some people, shamefully myself included, who questioned why you would use a premium pick on a RB when you just proved with DMC the season before that you could run just about any RB out there and have success on the ground.

I think we agree the success of the team is the OL and that is what makes things like exec and/or coach of the year a bit confusing sometimes. Jerry built the OL aggressively so he deserves the credit but then again those moves were made previous to this previous off-season. Boils down to if you grade the job an exec did based only on moves from end of last season to now or if you view the totality of the moves as it relates to the makeup of the team and not confine yourself to moves made just since the last Super Bowl was played. I was grading or rating it based on totality of team makeup, not confining myself to moves made from this previous off-season till now.

Why is disagreeing with you an "I fight"?

your complete befuddled response as to how a God like schneider wasn't in this conversation warranted a reality check. not trying to pick a fight. just can't stand obnoxious seahawks fans that think they're the only team that is doing well and they're special.

none of what I said is made up... check the records. since 2010 many other teams have the samerecord.

NE is a powerhouse, Seattle is not (if they are then there are a lot of powerhouses in the nfl)

since 2010 schneiderhasn't drafted well in round 1

TexasA&M came up with 12th man way before seattle. 
I couldn't be more disappointed in your response. Why would you assume the worst in me? I get that there are blind homer fans for all teams. We had one of the worst in a guy named ImTheScientist. Hell, I take pride in that I tried to chase him off making it know he wasn't welcome. Mind you, that's me trying to monitor fans of the team I root for. That guy was one of the worst posters this board has ever seen. I'm not that guy. I like to think I'm one of the more objective Seattle fans. Actually, I was commenting just yesterday in the Seattle thread that there are no more than six or seven of us that post regularly. We're a fairly small group that post here. None of us are of the attitude that you're trying to describe above. 

Now, why on earth would you feel the need to talk about the 12th man thing? Seriously. That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. That's not disagreeing with what I said. That's trying to goad someone emotionally. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I've always thought the 12th man thing was sort of silly. But then again, I don't go to the games and scream my head off. I appreciate that there are people that do this, but I'm not that guy. 

Schneider inherited a team in 2010 that was devoid of talent. They were a sinking ship that Holmgren and Mora allowed to get old. The entire roster save for two players (Brandon Mebane and Red Bryant) were gone by the time 2013 rolled around when they won a super bowl. Only Mebane remained the following year when they were one play away from back to back superbowl wins.  He turned over nearly the entire roster after two years. Attributing their records to Schneider in 2010 and 2011 isn't fair. He crushed the draft in 2010, 2011, and 2012. I'm not going to copy and paste it all, but here's a link if you just have to look.  I dare you to choose any objective measure you want and compare those three drafts with any other team you choose. Three consecutive slam dunk A+ drafts. Those three drafts should have earned Schneider a major award alone, but I guess that wasn't enough. From 2012 to 2016 they will have a 56-23-1 record assuming they lay waste to SF next weekend. That's second only to NE. So if using the term powerhouse doesn't work for you because we're in Ricky Bobby world, well, okay. You can live in that world. I choose not to go there as it's just hyperbolic intergoogle folly. 

Schneider's first round picks?
2010 Earl Thomas and Russel Okung
2011 James Carpenter
2012 Bruce Irvin
2013 none (Harvin trade)
2014 none (Traded out of first giving Bridgewater to MIN)
2015 none (Graham trade)
2016 Germaine Ifedi

Where are you seeing all these "bust" picks? Thomas, Okung, Carpenter, and Irvin were all starters on a super bowl winning team. The three that weren't resigned got good starter money on the free agent market. Seattle couldn't keep them all because of how loaded they were from the non-first round picks (Wagner, Wilson, Wright, Chancellor, Sherman have all signed large second deals). Sure, the Harvin thing didn't work out, but if you think you have to nail every first round pick to be a GM of the year at some point, well, I think you're setting everyone up for failure. Graham has been huge this season. A year ago they didn't miss him, but this season he's been great. Ifedi? Showed some great promise early, but struggled through the second half of the year. Any guy that's starting all of his rookie year can't be labeled a bust. That's not being objective. He might be. We'll see in due time. That's why I'm the guy that starts the Grade your team's draft from three years ago thread starter every year just before the draft. Trying to evaluate a draft right away is a waste of time. 

If you want to talk to me about this, great. Just don't come at me like I'm some blind homer. It's disrespectful. 

Why is disagreeing with you an "I fight"?
1. Bringing up the 12th man thing is lame. How is that disagreeing with me?
2. Telling me that he  "...just can't stand obnoxious seahawks fans that think they're the only team that is doing well and they're special." Again, how is that disagreeing with me?

Both of those are examples of just trying to goad someone into an iFight. It has nothing to do with the job that Schneider has done while here in Seattle. 

1. Bringing up the 12th man thing is lame. How is that disagreeing with me?
2. Telling me that he  "...just can't stand obnoxious seahawks fans that think they're the only team that is doing well and they're special." Again, how is that disagreeing with me?

Both of those are examples of just trying to goad someone into an iFight. It has nothing to do with the job that Schneider has done while here in Seattle. 
You claimed two people were just trying to pick a fight...just seemed odd 

I couldn't be more disappointed in your response. Why would you assume the worst in me? I get that there are blind homer fans for all teams. We had one of the worst in a guy named ImTheScientist. Hell, I take pride in that I tried to chase him off making it know he wasn't welcome. Mind you, that's me trying to monitor fans of the team I root for. That guy was one of the worst posters this board has ever seen. I'm not that guy. I like to think I'm one of the more objective Seattle fans. Actually, I was commenting just yesterday in the Seattle thread that there are no more than six or seven of us that post regularly. We're a fairly small group that post here. None of us are of the attitude that you're trying to describe above. 

Now, why on earth would you feel the need to talk about the 12th man thing? Seriously. That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. That's not disagreeing with what I said. That's trying to goad someone emotionally. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I've always thought the 12th man thing was sort of silly. But then again, I don't go to the games and scream my head off. I appreciate that there are people that do this, but I'm not that guy. 

Schneider inherited a team in 2010 that was devoid of talent. They were a sinking ship that Holmgren and Mora allowed to get old. The entire roster save for two players (Brandon Mebane and Red Bryant) were gone by the time 2013 rolled around when they won a super bowl. Only Mebane remained the following year when they were one play away from back to back superbowl wins.  He turned over nearly the entire roster after two years. Attributing their records to Schneider in 2010 and 2011 isn't fair. He crushed the draft in 2010, 2011, and 2012. I'm not going to copy and paste it all, but here's a link if you just have to look.  I dare you to choose any objective measure you want and compare those three drafts with any other team you choose. Three consecutive slam dunk A+ drafts. Those three drafts should have earned Schneider a major award alone, but I guess that wasn't enough. From 2012 to 2016 they will have a 56-23-1 record assuming they lay waste to SF next weekend. That's second only to NE. So if using the term powerhouse doesn't work for you because we're in Ricky Bobby world, well, okay. You can live in that world. I choose not to go there as it's just hyperbolic intergoogle folly. 

2011 James Carpenter
2012 Bruce Irvin
2013 none (Harvin trade)
2015 none (Graham trade)
2016 Germaine Ifedi

Where are you seeing all these "bust" picks? Thomas, Okung, Carpenter, and Irvin were all starters on a super bowl winning team. The three that weren't resigned got good starter money on the free agent market. Seattle couldn't keep them all because of how loaded they were from the non-first round picks (Wagner, Wilson, Wright, Chancellor, Sherman have all signed large second deals). Sure, the Harvin thing didn't work out, but if you think you have to nail every first round pick to be a GM of the year at some point, well, I think you're setting everyone up for failure. Graham has been huge this season. A year ago they didn't miss him, but this season he's been great. Ifedi? Showed some great promise early, but struggled through the second half of the year. Any guy that's starting all of his rookie year can't be labeled a bust. That's not being objective. He might be. We'll see in due time. That's why I'm the guy that starts the Grade your team's draft from three years ago thread starter every year just before the draft. Trying to evaluate a draft right away is a waste of time. 

If you want to talk to me about this, great. Just don't come at me like I'm some blind homer. It's disrespectful. 
Can we take this to the ''John Schneider got screwed out of exec of the year a few years ago'' thread?

Yes, it's awful he's never won.

If we concede that, can we discuss this year's candidates?

2011 James Carpenter
2012 Bruce Irvin
2013 none (Harvin trade)
2015 none (Graham trade)
2016 Germaine Ifedi

Can we take this to the ''John Schneider got screwed out of exec of the year a few years ago'' thread?

Yes, it's awful he's never won.

If we concede that, can we discuss this year's candidates?
He's made some good points regarding Schneider's history. I would agree that Seattle wasn't a big threat before he took over. However, the time for him to win executive of the year has come and gone. And maybe he was screwed out of it, but he definitely doesn't deserve it this season. I honestly think the hay-days of Seattle have come and gone. They are just like every other good team that makes the playoffs more often than not. I guess I owe an apology for assuming the worst in this poster. I guess I just didn't see how Schneider should be in this conversation at all this year given there are at least 2-3 more deserving candidates. 

I think Del Rio and Gase are the clear leaders for coach of the year.  I don't get the votes for Garrett much at all.

Del Rio had the best coaching decision of the year, it really set the tone.

Gase has gotten a team that is probably less talented last year completely turned around.  They are winning close games after starting 1-4.  Gase hasn't been afraid to bench players like Ajayi, Maxwell, and Parker all who have gotten better as the season went along.

Hey, any coach that loses their starting QB, and takes the #'1 seed in a rout is at the top of the list.  
They wouldn't have done as good with Romo, so I don't weigh that much.  Cowboys are a very impressive team, but they're also a extremely well put together team with talent in all the right places.

They wouldn't have done as good with Romo, so I don't weigh that much.  Cowboys are a very impressive team, but they're also a extremely well put together team with talent in all the right places.
I'm not very impressed with their talent level, they have one WR you need to worry about, and a defense filled with 'OK'.  

They have a very clear path to success:  Run the ball, don't make Dak do too much, and bend but don't break on defense.  It's not really a high-powered approach to win, most teams have more offensive firepower when all things are clicking.  The Cowboys really haven't stumbled all year long, and that's really impressive.  

Falcons are getting major contributions from 1st and 2nd year players - drafted since Quinn became a coach

Ricardo Allen, Vic Beasley, De'Vondre Campbell, Tevin Coleman, Jalen Collens, Justin Hardy, Austin Hooper, Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones, Keanu Neal, Brain Poole, & Terron Ward.  

That's 2 home run drafts and solid upcoaching.

I vote Quinn and Dimitroff

I'm not very impressed with their talent level, they have one WR you need to worry about, and a defense filled with 'OK'.  

They have a very clear path to success:  Run the ball, don't make Dak do too much, and bend but don't break on defense.  It's not really a high-powered approach to win, most teams have more offensive firepower when all things are clicking.  The Cowboys really haven't stumbled all year long, and that's really impressive.  
I agree, they're an impressive team, well-coached with a good gameplan.

I just prefer those other two guys clearly because of my perception of them doing more with less.  Part of that is that I rate Dak very highly.  I don't think that OLine gets enough credit for how absurdly dominant they are and that plays a huge role.

It's tough to pick the coach of the year.  Really, you could give it to Belichick nearly every year, but this year in particular he deserves it.  

It's tough to pick the coach of the year.  Really, you could give it to Belichick nearly every year, but this year in particular he deserves it.  
Why? Honest question. I don't see much of anything special from his coaching this season. He won 3 games almost putting a WR at QB... alright that proves it's his system that can make a star, I get it. He lost his star TE and continues to win... well I'd argue that NE looks vulnerable since Gronk went out. I just don't see any amazing coaching decisions that would put him above and beyond any other coach on this list. 

I voted Gase because he has gotten the most out of his players when they started the season looking like the dysfunctional same old same old Miami. I would put Garrett way above Belichick. 

The coach of the year is historically the guy that takes a bad team and makes it good, not a guy that maintains excellence.

But this isn't about who is GOING to win it, but who you would vote for.  

The arguments for BB  would be different than the arguments for Gase.  Both are valid arguments tho.

Heck, if you want to argue against someone, I feel like Gase is easier.  Maybe the previous staff was wasting the talent.  Does a coach deserve credit because the last guy didn' know what he was doing??

Maybe they played a weak schedule (they did).  

I can't make too many arguments against BB.

Miami played 5 teams with winning records: 1-4

Miami played 10 teams with losing records: 9-1

Two of the winning record teams were 8-7 Tennessee and 8-7 Baltimore, both of which they lost to.

I think Gase did a good job in his first year, but I don't see enough quality performances against quality competition to earn coach of the year. Only 2 of their 10 wins were by more than one score against poor competition. 3 of their 5 losses were by more than one score.

I voted Belicheck because he deserves it.

Garrett and Jerry do jack ####. The credit for the Cowboys success belongs to Stephen Jones, Scott Linehan and last but not least Rod Marinelli. They are the ones making the decisions and coming up with the gameplans.

Miami played 5 teams with winning records: 1-4

Miami played 10 teams with losing records: 9-1

Two of the winning record teams were 8-7 Tennessee and 8-7 Baltimore, both of which they lost to.

I think Gase did a good job in his first year, but I don't see enough quality performances against quality competition to earn coach of the year. Only 2 of their 10 wins were by more than one score against poor competition. 3 of their 5 losses were by more than one score.

I voted Belicheck because he deserves it.
Gase started 1-4 on the season with a new team. An inferior that had been 6-10 and was 4th place in the AFC East the previous year.

Why? Honest question. I don't see much of anything special from his coaching this season. He won 3 games almost putting a WR at QB... alright that proves it's his system that can make a star, I get it. He lost his star TE and continues to win... well I'd argue that NE looks vulnerable since Gronk went out. I just don't see any amazing coaching decisions that would put him above and beyond any other coach on this list. 

I voted Gase because he has gotten the most out of his players when they started the season looking like the dysfunctional same old same old Miami. I would put Garrett way above Belichick. 
Let's be serious. 13-2 despite not having his best offensive player for four games and his other best offensive player for nine of those 15 games.  And he has a defense without any real stars leading the league in points allowed.  I get that taking his coaching for granted is something a lot of people do, but his coaching job this season cannot be overlooked.  

Users who are viewing this thread